Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So far, I've got to say that psychopath on a sniper isn't too shabby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pvt.Scott posted:

That makes me wonder if Bloodthirsty stacks with killing multiple people in one action--like if you get a lucky crit with a shotgun or an explosive on a crowd and kill multiple people, do you get multiple AP?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Psychopath good on any character that can get up to a good base to hit. I've also found it very good on melee -- the low-AP attacks build it up even faster.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Lotish posted:

That guy will only show if you give the DBM the nuke--disarming the nuke locks in Corran Cain as your Canyon recruit.

It does feel more sluggish than the original, because you don't move until it finishes drawing the dotted line to your destination. And for some reason there are two movement modes, and it defaults to the slowest.

Is this the case even if I ousted the Monks already? It feels like such a bad decision but that questline is just too fun. Either way I'm planning on just save editing in Heavy Weapons as their weapon skill purely because I've never taken a single shot with a heavy weapon in like...7 playthroughs.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I just got Zax at the abandoned railyard, I used Computer Science to get him to max power, and HOLY poo poo he just one-shotted TWO slicer-dicers. :O

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Joe Wilson, your story sounds legitimately crazy. Wait...maybe VAX is way more badass in the Director's Cut. That is exciting!

Also Fennesz I do not really blame you for not being interested in heavy weapons, they seemed pretty dull compared to assault rifles, but then I threw one on Ralphy when I decided he might as well do something when he could not get into brawling position and the first time he gunned down a full-health raider in one turn I was like "oh! I get it now!"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Quarex posted:

Joe Wilson, your story sounds legitimately crazy. Wait...maybe VAX is way more badass in the Director's Cut. That is exciting!

Also Fennesz I do not really blame you for not being interested in heavy weapons, they seemed pretty dull compared to assault rifles, but then I threw one on Ralphy when I decided he might as well do something when he could not get into brawling position and the first time he gunned down a full-health raider in one turn I was like "oh! I get it now!"

Vax is insane. He gets two full three shot bursts a turn plus a move or reload and he has an absurd energy weapon that does like 60 to 80 damage on non-conductive targets a shot and like up to 500 some per burst on conductive. He wrecks all of Arizona and so far is still destroying in California. And this is before you overclock him.

Also he has about 11 initiative. Literally his only flaw is his 50 HP.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lotish posted:

That makes me wonder if Bloodthirsty stacks with killing multiple people in one action--like if you get a lucky crit with a shotgun or an explosive on a crowd and kill multiple people, do you get multiple AP?

Yes, it does. My psycho comes up a bit later in combat rotation for just this reason. Well... I can't speak to the shotgun part, she uses pistols and knives, but each kill with an explosion returns +1ap.

fennesz posted:

Is this the case even if I ousted the Monks already? It feels like such a bad decision but that questline is just too fun. Either way I'm planning on just save editing in Heavy Weapons as their weapon skill purely because I've never taken a single shot with a heavy weapon in like...7 playthroughs.

Salt-Wolf:You have to refuse working with the DBM right from the get-go, but still send them the nuke. I don't understand the logic behind it, but that's the process you need to take for Gary's recruitment. There's also gate of 25 Charisma on him as well

upgunned shitpost fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 24, 2015

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I just got Zax at the abandoned railyard, I used Computer Science to get him to max power, and HOLY poo poo he just one-shotted TWO slicer-dicers. :O

Yep. You have to re-hack him at the start of each battle if you want him to be overclocked -- but man, is it worth it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Looks like I missed out on Salty Wolf bro. drat.

Zore posted:

Vax is insane. He gets two full three shot bursts a turn plus a move or reload and he has an absurd energy weapon that does like 60 to 80 damage on non-conductive targets a shot and like up to 500 some per burst on conductive. He wrecks all of Arizona and so far is still destroying in California. And this is before you overclock him.

Also he has about 11 initiative. Literally his only flaw is his 50 HP.

I kept Vax alive until the end of Damonta, he charged out and 1v1'd a Slicer Dicer point blank. RIP in peace ol' buddy.

Someone should make a full-time Vax companion mod :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What is the point of no return for when you have to worry about Rose or Lexicanium being controlled? Is it when you reach Seal Beach or some point later. Because I'd rather not have to kill Rose, but with the Recruit bug still in effect, Corran Cain, Ertan and Pistol Pete are all missing now, so I don't really have anyone to swap her out with that isn't level 8.

edit: holy cow Bloodthirsty plus Jackhammer is sick on a crowd. I wiped out all of the New Citadel's followers in one turn.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 24, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

What is the point of no return for when you have to worry about Rose or Lexicanium being controlled? Is it when you reach Seal Beach or some point later. Because I'd rather not have to kill Rose, but with the Recruit bug still in effect, Corran Cain, Ertan and Pistol Pete are all missing now, so I don't really have anyone to swap her out with that isn't level 8.

Way later. It happens right before the very last battle of the game. You'll go down a lift just before it occurs.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lotish posted:

If you've got a saved game with them in the mix, just c+p their character entries from one save to the other. All the pertinent game-state stuff appears before your characters and after the npcs, don't gently caress with that.

Or just bump the xp on one of your level 8s to where your characters are at, either option should work. Just requires notepad++, search for character names and have a go.

Inconclusion, Rose is a shitlord who deserved to become a pod person and that other fucknut really belongs in his cage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd really like to know why my bladed weapons character misses about 90% of the time even with really high chances to hit. She's a loving joke.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well, I beat the game. On the run where the robots didn't blast two of my rangers, Casey, Magee and Jan died. I wonder if Jan's death is why I didn't get to see an ending for Darwin?

Turns out leaving Rose on the top floor of Ranger Citadel is enough to keep her safe.

Imported my rangers into a new game, and two of them had their traits replaced by the perk Watchman for some reason. :shrug:

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 25, 2015

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

jfood posted:

Inconclusion, Rose is a shitlord who deserved to become a pod person and that other fucknut really belongs in his cage.

Yep. They make it real easy to choose to save Highpool in future campaigns.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I don't have any skills high enough to disarm the nuke, do I have any other options than giving it to the monks?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NESguerilla posted:

If I don't have any skills high enough to disarm the nuke, do I have any other options than giving it to the monks?

Give it to the DBM

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My only run in with them so far was when I opened their rock hideout and a lady came out shooting at me. Is that where I find them? How do I keep them from attacking?

Also, it really sucks that I need higher skills to complete this quest how I want to.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 25, 2015

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
So I encountered a weird bug. When I start up the game I can't load save files.

It took me a while to figure out because I thought the saves were corrupted but it turns out you can just delete TOC.txt in the save game folder. This happened a couple of times today but it isn't consistent.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The more I play this the more I think they did a bad job with the ps4 port and controls. Targeting what you want just doesn't seem to work well at all, I've had over a dozen crashes, the load times are absurd, the menus are laggy, and certain actions are really poorly thought out.

It's not game ruining but it sure gets frustrating. Game needed some serious polish before getting a console release that it did not get.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

My only run in with them so far was when I opened their rock hideout and a lady came out shooting at me. Is that where I find them? How do I keep them from attacking?

Also, it really sucks that I need higher skills to complete this quest how I want to.

When you first get to the Canyon, there's a side road to the north where a DBM agent can be found. If you talk to him, he can give you a key and some key phrases to go in and talk to the DBM boss. If you show up with a Mad Monk under any circumstance, then she will shoot the monk. In the original at least, you can still talk to them even if you've been forced to kill DBMs by walking into the wrong places, but they will be extremely pissed and tense even when you agree to work together.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

NESguerilla posted:

The more I play this the more I think they did a bad job with the ps4 port and controls. Targeting what you want just doesn't seem to work well at all, I've had over a dozen crashes, the load times are absurd, the menus are laggy, and certain actions are really poorly thought out.

It's not game ruining but it sure gets frustrating. Game needed some serious polish before getting a console release that it did not get.

Yeah this is the only PS4 game I've ever played that crashes. It crashes at least once per session on me.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah this is the only PS4 game I've ever played that crashes. It crashes at least once per session on me.

Well, obviously! The session is over once the game crashes!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

NESguerilla posted:

From what I'm reading about PC is that it crashes and has more memory issues the further you go along for whatever reason. At least it's less buggy than the original version at release. I'm going to wait for a patch or two because I don't want to have that dismiss follower bug which is infuriating. Game is a lot of fun though and better than the original release last year.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I started another playthrough and I've gone to Highpool. I'm trying to get into the Highpool subterreanean area to complete some quests. According to the map, it's next to the skill point statue, but there's nothing there but a concrete slab. Am I supposed to use the Wrecker mortar to blow it up or is there something I'm missing?

edit: oh, it relies on a Perception check.

edit: On PC I've only had one crash from start to finish.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 25, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Well so much for the Directors cut. Installed it on the old desktop not realizing its 64 bit only. I hate playing games on a laptop so its the original version for me. Hopefully with patch 6 its good enough.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I just found out about Toxx Claws and now I'm sad I don't have a brawler.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I can't get this game to work no matter what I try. I un-installed my old Steam installation of the original release. I re-installed Director's Cut, but then it wouldn't let me save Portraits at all. I found instructions for how to install custom Portraits and that worked, but snapshotting characters still does not.

Then it hangs on loading. It makes sound effects, I can cycle through numeric abilities, but the game never loads.

I'm gonna just hold off and wait for more patches I guess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I do custom portraits in Directors Cut?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I do custom portraits in Directors Cut?

Documents/My Games/Wasteland2DC/Custom Portraits

Just drop them in there. They have to be 256x256 to look right. If they don't show up right when you're making your characters just click back and forth on the gender buttons, and that usually fixes it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks, needed the right directory name.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

FRINGE posted:

Well so much for the Directors cut. Installed it on the old desktop not realizing its 64 bit only. I hate playing games on a laptop so its the original version for me. Hopefully with patch 6 its good enough.
I just found out earlier today that the original version did get an upgrade, it added a feature where Brother None pops up on Steam and makes fun of you if you are still playing it :smith:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Quarex posted:

I just found out earlier today that the original version did get an upgrade, it added a feature where Brother None pops up on Steam and makes fun of you if you are still playing it :smith:
If thats real then tell his dumb rear end to send you a check for a new computer. If not then ... skip that :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ha, I'd never met Team Able before. Where were those guys when everything was going to poo poo in Ag Center?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Damonta sucks. Just way too many long fights every 5 seconds. Every time I think I clear the last group a bigger one pops in as I slowly run out f supplies.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Damonta sucks. Just way too many long fights every 5 seconds. Every time I think I clear the last group a bigger one pops in as I slowly run out f supplies.

I love Demonta. Just make sure you have two dudes with Energy Weapons and you're golden. Or just pick up Vax and have him one shot every mother fucker in the place.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is they key to making energy weapons good? I bought the best one the citadel had (better than any I've found in the world), pumped up a characters energy weapons skill to 5, and it doesn't seem to do poo poo to robots. I shoot them and it does almost no damage. In fact every energy weapon I have run into has poo poo damage.

I also went to get Vax because that fight in Damonta with 2 slicer dicers was pissing me off and oh hey, it appears I have to kill 3 dicers to get to this guy. I absolutely hate slicer dicers.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

NESguerilla posted:

I also went to get Vax because that fight in Damonta with 2 slicer dicers was pissing me off and oh hey, it appears I have to kill 3 dicers to get to this guy. I absolutely hate slicer dicers.
Literally speaking you can get him without fighting any--well unless they changed things--though obviously fighting them seems like a no-brainer since they are right there. And that is probably the hardest fight in all of Arizona other than one or two in Damonta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Quarex posted:

Literally speaking you can get him without fighting any--well unless they changed things--though obviously fighting them seems like a no-brainer since they are right there. And that is probably the hardest fight in all of Arizona other than one or two in Damonta.

They didn't change things. Hang left all the way to Vax and you can snag him before any SDs see you.

Not sure how you're getting crap damage with something like the Gamma Ray Blaster. It may not be great on non-conductives without the perks, but it will blow up robots clear to the end of the game in short order. Or do you not have the GRB and snagged something like the Meson Cannon? Those are significantly weaker.

• Locked thread