Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That kid won't visit his mom or take care of her while she's in a nursing home or hospital.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB9sc0EmrJU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
never ever gently caress with kids on their birthdays or christmas, they literally can not emotionally cope and it fucks them up almost for life.

Anyone with their birthday in December is almost guaranteed to be kind of messed up in the head, it's p sad.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gross Dude posted:

What was that giant roll of duct tape looking thing that was just rolling along that road? :psyduck:

Atticus_1354 posted:

Empty poly water tank. They are not very heavy since they are hollow. They are easy to roll on their side when you need to move them, so I guess the wind got it just right and sent it down the road.

I thought it looked like a gigantic bale of hay. :shrug:

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

What does he think is in there?

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

What does he think is in there?

I don't know. Probably something that will hurt him until he's dead.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I think they told him it's a tarantula.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

My family once gave me a bottle of dirt for christmas because they thought it'd be funny to set me up for disappointment then give me the real present. It was pretty soul crushing, I won't lie and it was hard to be excited about something I really wanted after that, fighting back tears to say thank you for a bottle of loving dirt will really mess with your head. It wasn't even a nice bottle either.

Maybe it was grandma's ashes.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

never ever gently caress with kids on their birthdays or christmas, they literally can not emotionally cope and it fucks them up almost for life.

Anyone with their birthday in December is almost guaranteed to be kind of messed up in the head, it's p sad.

Kid should have left a note if he wanted a present.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Listen to all you sensitive babies. I bet that kid got real cake afterwards. The fact that he's so upset about a joke cake makes it even more funny.

McSpergin posted:

I laughed way too hard at this. Am I a terrible person?

No.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

We should at least wait until the kid gets his face smushed into the spongecake. That's when the real child abuse happens.

A Bug posted:

I think they told him it's a tarantula.

I honestly can't say I wouldn't have the same reaction. Scratch that. I wouldn't even put my hand in the box in the first place.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sam Faust posted:

I honestly can't say I wouldn't have the same reaction. Scratch that. I wouldn't even put my hand in the box in the first place.

Yeah, that's an expensive pet. You don't just let some blindfolded doofus swipe at it with his meaty paws, he might injure it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I know the safety PSAs are from a few pages back, but I'm just catching up with this thread on my extra-hour-set-the-clocks-back Sunday: enjoy a very British PSA about why you shouldn't play on the train tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slJyhOEo-SY

It looks like something produced by the Scarfolk Council, but my now 48 year old husband says it freaked him out as a little'un in the '70s.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hahaha points for throwing rocks into the train. This is the weirdest loving PSA i've ever seen and quite possibly one of the most British things ever. I dunno why it so immediately goes all lord of the flies, but it sure does.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Turtlicious posted:

I have a December birthday and I'm not hosed up I hardly cry at all when falling sleeping.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

That kid won't visit his mom or take care of her while she's in a nursing home or hospital.

Lol

This is the real schadenfreude

"Why don't you ever call?" she wept bitterly

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
My birthday is the day after a major get together holiday, I have been told my birthday party is "not about me."

Some light SF here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGzzSIZvA40.
At least the one guy was wearing a helmet

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

ddiddles posted:

I have a December birthday and I'm not hosed up I hardly cry at all when falling sleeping.

:smith::hf::smith:

However, my younger brother and I have a long-standing tradition of buying each other the most hideous, poorly made dollar store or thrift shop figurines or toys for gift giving holidays, and it's become something I actually look forward to. We usually go for things that aim for cute but fail miserably, like a piggy bank in the shape of a grandpa or a puppy holding a sign with Time to Pee! written on it. Sure, we usually give each other books and records or whatever as well, but the horrible gifts are always the best. Last year I got a plush carrot with poorly stitched angry eyes, and I treasure it.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Better with sound.
"Why is it moving, bro?! Why is it moving?? AAAAAH!"

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"

Ms Boods posted:

I know the safety PSAs are from a few pages back, but I'm just catching up with this thread on my extra-hour-set-the-clocks-back Sunday: enjoy a very British PSA about why you shouldn't play on the train tracks:

It looks like something produced by the Scarfolk Council, but my now 48 year old husband says it freaked him out as a little'un in the '70s.

Jesus I remember this from my childhood, I'm not far behind your husband. It just appeared one day with no warning while I was watching TV on my own and was never shown again - I've never forgotten it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Anora posted:

My birthday is the day after a major get together holiday, I have been told my birthday party is "not about me."

Some light SF here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGzzSIZvA40.
At least the one guy was wearing a helmet

*shakes bird*
*gets mad when bird tries to run away*

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
All children are made of literal glass and if any child ever cries that child will grow up to be a serial killer, gotcha. Thanks somethingawfuldotcom goon psychologists!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Dillbag posted:

other way around

Yeah, I meant the FailArmy video sort of goes BWAH! (kid eats it) and then Go (dog takes off). The original video is indeed Go! BWAH and is also one of the most perfect things currently on the internets.

... and now for something completely different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zih3zdQ2sbo

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Cracked (yeah, :jerkbag:, I know) has an article today about why Youtube prank videos suck.

Re: the British train PSA. I think my issue with it (viewing it through the lens of an adult who didn't have the benefit (???) of seeing it as a child) is that the kid sitting on the overpass daydreaming about his perfect train-murder Olympics really seems like a psychopath who doesn't learn anything at the end. His voiceovers talking about the events sound like he still thinks the whole thing is an awesome idea all the way through.

Also, what up, fellow December birthday-havers. Mine is wedged conveniently in between Christmas and New Years. Everyone's burnt out from Christmas and gearing up for New Years celebrations, so nobody gives a gently caress about celebrating my birthday. Which is fine, I suppose, because now that I'm not a kid, I don't either. I have a friend with a May birthday who doesn't understand why I don't give poo poo one about mine.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
This schadenfreude involves kids falling down. They are probably scarred for life.

http://i.imgur.com/8HjIrK7.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/rZgls2A.gifv

Bonus catenfreunde:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ms Boods posted:

They used to show us these things at school when I was a youngster. There was one called 'Apaches' about a gang of kids dying in various horrible and grisly ways while playing on a farm that they made us watch (probably because we lived in a rural area with plenty of farms to go play on). Drowning in slurry was the worst one I think *shudder*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Staryberry posted:

This schadenfreude involves kids falling down. They are probably scarred for life.

It's not "Children are incredibly fragile and will be broken if they suffer any hardship ever." The problem is that kids implicitly and unconditionally trust authority figures like their parents, and you can cause some major rifts if you gently caress with them for laughs. Not every kid ends up with problems, but it's a really easy way to do it.

The absolute worst is if they have autism. A coworker of mine has an autistic son, who I know because he occasionally comes in to do menial jobs like shredding and dividing cards and booklets into smaller piles. He's incredibly gullible, to the point where his mom had to teach him "Sometimes, people are mean and are encouraging you to do something just because they want to laugh at you" because he's 15 and other students could still tell him poo poo like "The principal said you need to go stand on your head in the corner" and he'd just walk over and do it. But at the same time, she'll tell him incredibly unbelievable lies that he immediately believes until you tell him that it was just a joke. She does this because she knows how gullible he is and wants a laugh. I've been trying and failing to discourage her from counteracting her own attempts to stop him from being so easily hosed with.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Anora posted:

To this day my mother hates me because I was due for exactly Valentines day. Instead I guess her body didn't want to push me out for another week, and she has never let me live that down. I ruined her having an excuse to throw extra special birthday parties. I'm not sure what I could or should have done as an unborn child but hey, mothers. They're loving crazy about the most inane poo poo.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

monkeytennis posted:

They used to show us these things at school when I was a youngster. There was one called 'Apaches' about a gang of kids dying in various horrible and grisly ways while playing on a farm that they made us watch (probably because we lived in a rural area with plenty of farms to go play on). Drowning in slurry was the worst one I think *shudder*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GyRz_lOQA

It's a slow burner all right. You'd think after the first death the farmers would tell the kids to GTFO, but no, they just carry on.

The UK wasn't the only one with weird/creepy PSAs....this one takes some sort of cake for creepiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQgAMkMmsfg

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Real schadenfreude would be someone punching that guy and taking the ball to give to the kid.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Rondette posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GyRz_lOQA

It's a slow burner all right. You'd think after the first death the farmers would tell the kids to GTFO, but no, they just carry on.

These are insanely awesome. The stone-faced adults just removing the kid's belongings from school/home/et cetera has to be the best part. Moral: if you gently caress up your farm safety, you never existed. At all.

Do we have any more of these British ones? I've well acquainted with the American ones -- One Got Fat, the train ones on MST3k (why don't they look?) -- but the British ones are done with such a cruelty to them that makes it even more bizarre.

EDIT: the most horrific one has to be the poisoning of the girl. The shrieking and imagined horror of it had to scar some kids. Good child actor, however.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The worst PSAs are the Canadian workplace safety ones.

That woman having her face scalded off by a pot of hot oil *shudder*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stttooopp. I love seeing schadenfreude videos, not feel super bummed about existing/working/cooking/trains.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not "Children are incredibly fragile and will be broken if they suffer any hardship ever." The problem is that kids implicitly and unconditionally trust authority figures like their parents, and you can cause some major rifts if you gently caress with them for laughs. Not every kid ends up with problems, but it's a really easy way to do it.

The absolute worst is if they have autism. A coworker of mine has an autistic son, who I know because he occasionally comes in to do menial jobs like shredding and dividing cards and booklets into smaller piles. He's incredibly gullible, to the point where his mom had to teach him "Sometimes, people are mean and are encouraging you to do something just because they want to laugh at you" because he's 15 and other students could still tell him poo poo like "The principal said you need to go stand on your head in the corner" and he'd just walk over and do it. But at the same time, she'll tell him incredibly unbelievable lies that he immediately believes until you tell him that it was just a joke. She does this because she knows how gullible he is and wants a laugh. I've been trying and failing to discourage her from counteracting her own attempts to stop him from being so easily hosed with.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Do we have any more of these British ones? I've well acquainted with the American ones -- One Got Fat, the train ones on MST3k (why don't they look?) -- but the British ones are done with such a cruelty to them that makes it even more bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVBfMMMUsGs
Just listen to the crack of her arms as it unbreaks.
EDIT: Christ, I forgot how graphic that was. For reference sake, I was about 9-10 when this advert came out I think. hosed me up something rotten, had to mute the tv when it came on.

For something a bit lighter, weddings! And how they gently caress up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eht9YOoD0v0

Roro has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Oct 25, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay buy you're kinda missing the point of what I said? Kids loving up and hurting themselves is normal and an important part of learning about how the world works and how to navigate dangers. I'm talking about when parents are like "You know what? gently caress my kid's implicit trust in me. I'm going to give them sponges for their birthday and make fun of them when they get upset."

It's not a whole lot different from bullying them in school, just minus any physical beatings.