Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

On the women team - the thing that stinks about is the co-driver who crashed was clearly just not good enough to be there especially while an actual race winning female is sitting in the pits doing..... anything than driving. Leanne Tander would kick the rear end out of most of the field. Get her in the car and the women's team wont be a gimmick.
That's a bit unfair there. Both females drivers were doing well. The issue was the flag marshall was slow to show the "oil on track" flag. One of my friends who works for one of the teams said it was at least 10 seconds where the flag marshall did nothing. By then the women's car had passed that spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Smorgasbord posted:

60 is too much but I think the performance of SuperBlack & XBox as wildcards last year and the Russell brothers this year warrants another couple of entries on top of the current field. Not so much the attention sucking female entry which was way off the pace and clearly a gimmick.

edit: it is pretty cool to imagine some 60 year old dude being able to tell his grandkids how he finished the Bathurst 1000 in some lovely Corolla or a Mini with his brother back in the day though.

Their times in the practice sessions and qualifying were on par with the Russells so calling them a gimmick is pretty retarded. The car didn't stay straight enough in the race for the girls to show their actual speed.

Prac 5:
Supergirls: 2:08:9
Plus Fitness: 2:09:3

Prac 6:
Plus Fitness: 2:08:5

Qualifying:
Supergirls: 2:09:6
Plus Fitness: 2:09:2

Both cars only fast enough to run at the tail of the field, but don't beclown yourself by claiming that Gracie and De Silvestro are gimmick racers. The only attention sucking bullshit was blob Paul Morris' pep talks.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Some of the Sheep posted:

Their times in the practice sessions and qualifying were on par with the Russells so calling them a gimmick is pretty retarded. The car didn't stay straight enough in the race for the girls to show their actual speed.

Prac 5:
Plus Fitness: 2:09:3

Prac 6:
Plus Fitness: 2:08:5

Qualifying:
Supergirls: 2:09:6
Plus Fitness: 2:09:2

Both cars only fast enough to run at the tail of the field, but don't beclown yourself by claiming that Gracie and De Silvestro are gimmick racers. The only attention sucking bullshit was blob Paul Morris' pep talks.

I followed the timing of each session and yes on her best laps Silvestro matched the Russell's best laps however the gulf in talent and consistency shone out during those sessions and particularly in the race. I can't find the specifics but they were around 40 seconds off second last place when they crashed approximately 30 laps in. When the rain came down they were 10 seconds per lap off the pace on the same tyres. I know the sport is all about money over talent especially at the margins but this stood out as particularly galling to those that really could've used that grid spot.

Ironically they finished in exactly the same position they would have anyway without the crash, if anything it helped disguise how far off the pace they really were (Gracie moreso than Silvestro). Noticed Gracie was at the back of the field in the Development series race too.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Oh hey the NIMBYs next to Lime Rock are getting pissy again

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-absurd-community-fight-that-could-cripple-one-of-am-1736668909

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Some of the Sheep posted:

Paul Morris does not have one single redeemable quality. He is human garbage.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Whitey Ford posted:

Paul Morris does not have one single redeemable quality. He is human garbage.

It wis kinda good news/bad news when I saw he wasn't racing but then realised he was part of the tv coverage team.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paul Morris owns

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Alain Post posted:

Paul Morris owns

I must admit it was amusing that one feud he had where he said he'd keep punting the other guy off the track because he was pretty sure he had more money to keep buying cars than the other guy's dad could afford.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Lime Rock's giving all sorts of concessions too, what a lovely spot.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Paul Morris owns

How is it possible that his ego could be bigger than his fat head?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hi haters

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Extra impressive win for Mostert considering the 120kg of ballast.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

MotoGP is SO good this season

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
How is it that Turkington won the independents trophy? Shouldn't he have been second in that? The BTCC website doesn't say how that panned out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's that the independent standings only include the independent drivers in the race results. So if one independent wins a race overall, and the second-placed independent driver finishes 4th overall, the latter guy is credited with second place points, which is how they can differ from the overall points.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Exactly that. It's a quirk but it's actually Plato being punished for being quicker than Turks.

The pattern was often

Plato beats Turks in race 1. But between them are the manufacturer cars. Say Plato 1st, Turks 4th but with 2 Hondas and a BMW between them. So they credited 1st and 2nd in the indies.

In race 3, the reverse grid and weight might mean Turks finished 2nd overall and Plato 5th. Problem is between them is an MG and maybe someone like Morgan having a good day. So in the indies, they get credited with 2nd and 5th in the indies too.

So Plato gets more real points, Turks gets more indie points.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That BMR was even in the independents was kind of ridiculous anyway. Yeah it was technically correct but come on.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
How did a third-tier guy like Warren Scott put together a dream team like that anyway?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I was wondering the same thing today. Found that he's a farmer.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
So I went to This Thing over last weekend. Good times were had by all.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

McMadCow posted:

How did a third-tier guy like Warren Scott put together a dream team like that anyway?

Without sponsorship too. If it was last year and Chrome and Restart were paying the bills I'd have understood a lot more.

That team probably cost the thick end of £3m this year.

In other news, AmD are building a 2nd S3 themselves and want to run all 3 of their cars next year. Not bad for a garage in Essex.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

McMadCow posted:

Given the history of motorsport, it's probably because Warren Scott is involved in the narcotics trade.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Best Racing Series Formula E is back tomorrow if you're unaware. Race is at 4am EST and can be watched on the Formula E site. Trulli are following up their 10th place in season 1 by being disqualified from the first race before it's even started because they don't actually have a working car.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You guys should watch formula e. First season was pretty god drat great.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

njsykora posted:

Trulli are following up their 10th place in season 1 by being disqualified from the first race before it's even started because they don't actually have a working car.
:cawg:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nelson Piquet can't drive out the pit lane.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ahahaha the comments on that video

Singapore 2008 never forget

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They deregulated the powertrains this year so this year should make for a rather interesting season. Audi's going with a traditional 5-speed gearbox, Venturi has a 2-speed, but several seem to be sticking with a direct-drive system, and using different horsepower motors.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 24, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Andretti is using the same car as last year because they can't afford anything else lol.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Uncle Jam posted:

Andretti is using the same car as last year because they can't afford anything else lol.

After the dust up for him a month or 2 ago, no shock.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Think the teams who are doing that said they're doing it because reliability, though it does make them slow as poo poo. Still faster than NEXTEV though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

For the folks who missed Formula E live, here's the youtube upload, at least until it gets blocked by FIA putting up the official race video.

Part1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFa8qo-LwpE
Part2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK4uqa5jl7k
Part3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4DN-ftAo-4
Part4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKBUg4PVXfM
Part5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtzDA98fE-w

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Uncle Jam posted:

That's Aguri.

Andretti are using it because they hosed up their new one. Andretti even stole Aguri's title sponsor.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bathurst is airing on CBSSN now.

Scott Pruett has left Ganassi for what I guess is a Lexus factory team.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bathurst is airing on CBSSN now.

Scott Pruett has left Ganassi for what I guess is a Lexus factory team.

Lexus and Paul Gentilozzi. Heard the team won't be at Daytona and stuff and Pruett is looking for a prototype ride so he can break the Daytona 24 hr record the he and Hurley Haywood have. Marshall Pruett thinks he'll go to Action Express #5 and do it there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah theres a ton of movin/shakin go on in US sportscars right now. Gonna be an interesting few years.

It sounds like PWC has stopped standing starts for GT/GTA and for that, I am sad. The racket when the field is sitting on the starting line is incredible.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Hey Cygni, weren't you helping out with that Honda DP engine? Apparently Michael Shank has taken that for his Ligier since IMSA has given more leeway for P2 cars to have more power.

Here's a full run down of the silly season for IMSA from Pruett.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/123304-pruett-imsa-s-silly-season-is-off-and-running?showall=1&limitstart=

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Didn't realize FE had started. Watching the race (in CyTube if anybody else wants in) and as soon as I saw Jacks was in the field, I figured he'd be involved in something. Sure enough.

And do they have electronic speed regulators on those cars like the electric go-karts which allows them to maintain the gaps under full course cautions? It'd be fun to see them bunch them up on a restart.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BMB5150 posted:

Hey Cygni, weren't you helping out with that Honda DP engine? Apparently Michael Shank has taken that for his Ligier since IMSA has given more leeway for P2 cars to have more power.

Here's a full run down of the silly season for IMSA from Pruett.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/123304-pruett-imsa-s-silly-season-is-off-and-running?showall=1&limitstart=

The one I was tangentially involved in was the (very) shortlived non-Honda sanctioned Comptech 3.8NA based on an NSX stock-block. I think Shank is using the also shortlived 3.5 purpose built HPD engine that Starworks ran a few years ago and was plagued by cooling issues.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

And do they have electronic speed regulators on those cars like the electric go-karts which allows them to maintain the gaps under full course cautions? It'd be fun to see them bunch them up on a restart.

Race control hits a button and puts them basically in Virtual Safety Car mode, they drop to 50kph and they can't go any faster until Race Control releases them.

• Locked thread