Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

StealthArcher posted:

I'm 100% certain you just described Zaeed.

Zaaed still gets pissy about being outed from his boy's club.

What are the worst missables in games? As in you walked three steps to the right and the opportunity to get a cool prize opened and closed between those steps. It's okay to miss stuff in New Vegas because you'd expect to miss poo poo in a faction-based RPG. More egregious is like missing the opportunity to fly a plane in Just Cause 2 which only spawns in two airports so long as you didn't take them over, or missing the Light Arrows in Zelda: Minish Cap because you didn't touch rocks with an arbitrary person which opens up a portal, or failing to get to save your love interest in Cave Story because you didn't stop in a certain house and looked at a certain bookcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Zaaed still gets pissy about being outed from his boy's club.

What are the worst missables in games? As in you walked three steps to the right and the opportunity to get a cool prize opened and closed between those steps. It's okay to miss stuff in New Vegas because you'd expect to miss poo poo in a faction-based RPG. More egregious is like missing the opportunity to fly a plane in Just Cause 2 which only spawns in two airports so long as you didn't take them over, or missing the Light Arrows in Zelda: Minish Cap because you didn't touch rocks with an arbitrary person which opens up a portal, or failing to get to save your love interest in Cave Story because you didn't stop in a certain house and looked at a certain bookcase.

The ones in Valdis Story were annoying because one of them happens really early on and you're faced with this really strong monster and you can't hurt it so you're forced to run and the game keeps telling you to run and the NPC character is like "COME ON, KEEP GOING BEFORE THEY CATCH UP" but if you walk back you can fight it and kill it. If you go like two or three screens away an entire village gets wiped out. There's a bunch of poo poo like that in the game.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What are the worst missables in games?

Final Fantasy X-II okay so spoilers the main character from the first one was a ghost? Or died or something? So in the sequel you obviously are trying to bring him back, but this is literally impossible if you don't 100% it.

You can fail this in the first 30 seconds because there's like an explosion or something and the game makes you start running to the right, but nope, go back and there's a badge on the ground or something. This area is inaccessible once you leave it.
The literal entire loving point for a sequel is negated because you didn't pick up a badge in the first minute of gameplay. But that's okay 80+hour rpgs lend themselves to multiple playthroughs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Krinkle posted:

Final Fantasy X-II okay so spoilers the main character from the first one was a ghost? Or died or something? So in the sequel you obviously are trying to bring him back, but this is literally impossible if you don't 100% it.

You can fail this in the first 30 seconds because there's like an explosion or something and the game makes you start running to the right, but nope, go back and there's a badge on the ground or something. This area is inaccessible once you leave it.
The literal entire loving point for a sequel is negated because you didn't pick up a badge in the first minute of gameplay. But that's okay 80+hour rpgs lend themselves to multiple playthroughs.

He was a dream conjured up by the hellishly bound souls of an entire civilization forced to eternally dream in order to summon a giant hell whale. Then they bring him to life again. Then in some post-game novel stuff he gets blown up by a bomb and dies.
Oh and IIRC it's literally impossible to 100% FFX-2 in one playthrough. So have fun watching those cutscenes, playing those minigames and just generally enduring that game if you really want that like five second cutscene in the end.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Golden Sun 1+2 is just dreadful nowadays, but they allowed you to buy back any unique items you sold, and there was no missing any djinni. Then they cocked it all up in the sequel.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Krinkle posted:

I like to think how making the game impossible slash super hard to 100% is an intentional decision to the game's theme of learning how to move on, with Yuna letting go of Tidus and moving on with her life as religious icon pop star.
The 100% ending was probably executive mandate.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Calaveron posted:

I like to think how making the game impossible slash super hard to 100% is an intentional decision to the game's theme of learning how to move on, with Yuna letting go of Tidus and moving on with her life as religious icon pop star.
The 100% ending was probably executive mandate.

I dono about you but I like all my religious icons to be part time pop-stars and mass killing mercenaries with other pop stars-mercenaries for friends.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

In Metal Gear Solid 3, towards the end you have to reinfiltrate the final base. Right before this you can easily find a cardboard box that let's you get delivered right to the hangar you need to go to by climbing into a relatively easy to access truck.

However if you go all the way to the other side of the base where you sneaked in the first time, and open the same locker you stashed Raiden's Russian doppelganger the first time around, you can find a sneaking suit that straight up cuts all damage in half. It would have been nice to have that since the end of the game is like 3 long boss fights almost back to back.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sneaking back through the base is the way most players went I thought as your scientist guise still works.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

In Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy's text based game, if I recall correctly: if you don't buy a sandwich at the bar and feed it to a dog at the very beginning of the game, you will make the game unwinnable but only lose in the mid to late game stage.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's also another disguise right across from that Sneaking Suit that makes it really easy to go around the Shagohod Hangar, so it's really not to your benefit to quick travel with Box B unless you're really good at planting C3 in that hangar and don't need the Sneaking Suit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just watched an LP that showed off the sneaking suit and maintenance disguise yesterday and I think if I hadn't been sick in bed I actually would have jumped up and yelled WHAT.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

I played blind. I thought I was being really clever reading the description of that box.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Xinlum posted:

I played blind. I thought I was being really clever reading the description of that box.

Granted the boss fights are trickier without it but I beat that area originally without the maintenance suit and it's pretty easy. Volgin and The Boss could be slack enough without the armour.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What are the worst missables in games? As in you walked three steps to the right and the opportunity to get a cool prize opened and closed between those steps.

I think the Al Bhed primers fit the bill. For Example:

The Dark Id posted:

So here's a real crappy bit of design. The rest of the party runs off further into the building, leaving Tidus behind to continue game play like normal. You see that blue light to the upper right hand side? That's a door we can enter and really DO want to enter. The trouble is that we cannot thanks to the cinematic camera angle. Attempting to go any further back than Tidus is standing right now will automatically turn him around back toward the stairs.

So instead we need to run Tidus down the stairs far enough for the camera to shift. At THAT point, we can turn around and have Tidus come back the way he came...

This time it will reveal the rest of the hallway we saw in that cutscene along with the headshot Al Bhed corpse the party trampled over on the way through the hall. Classy lot.

Entering the door here up here will result in a scolding from Rikku and Tidus getting mauled by a monster as soon as he opens the door.

Following the brief battle, we are free to properly plunder the Al Bhed's treasure stockpile as they are literally in the middle of a church sanctioned ethnic cleansing, what the actual gently caress Tidus?! explore.

In the left part of the room is a magical chest that straight up will ask us (in Al Bhed) what it is Tidus desires from its depths. With his limited vocabulary, as well as possibly imagination, the limits of Tidus' dreams only can go so far. But the middle-center option is clearly the best in being another Elixir we can add to the pile of never to be used because you never know when there might be an emergency!

The right-side chest also contains rudimentary Al Bhed security locks. After thirty hours all that beginners guide to Al Bhed is finally paying off in the form of war profiteering against their race! Nice.

Also quite important in this easily missed room is the twentieth Al Bhed Primer. Today we discover that [D = T!]

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

This is such a petty complaint but I've been playing all the MGS games for the first time and just got to Peace Walker. It's a real shame it's originally a PSP game. It sucks having each game get prettier with better controls and then just take a massive step backwards due to poo poo hardware.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That reminds me, in Peace Walker weapons development was set up so that your combat unit gave you a GMP pool you could use to develop weapons, and when development was finished the GMP went back in the pool. So it was mainly a restriction on how many items you could develop simultaneously, with an element of gating higher-level items behind a required GMP pool size. That seems like such a better idea than in MGSV where GMP are just straight up money.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I missed the Jecht shot in FF-X because I wasn't paying attention. I thought it was a silly cutscene then missed the prompts. Only later did I find out it was a devastating move in combat AND in blitzball. Curses.

Polaron posted:

It's worth pointing out that Ashley's predictions about how the Council would treat humanity were almost 100% correct: they did indeed throw humanity at the first big threat that reared its head and then ran away, thinking only of their races first.

Hell, they did that twice, between the Collectors and the Reapers.

And I remember some Bioware writer saying somewhere that her line about not being able to tell the aliens from the creatures was from an earlier version where there were alien pets on the Citadel, and said writer proceeded to post concept art of a random alien and went "Can you tell me right off the bat if this is a freighter captain or his pet?", which I think is the context the line should have stayed in.

As for you not liking her because she's a Christian, well...How dare the most pervasive religion on the face of the planet maintain some sort of grip like 30 years after our first contact with alien life? It's not like she's screaming about how the Reapers couldn't exist because the universe is only 6,000 years old, she just believes in God due to the beauty of the galaxy. What a weirdo.

I didn't know about the context of the pet thing, thats interesting. But she was right for the wrong reasons. She wasn't right because she was a good contributing member of the team with a chip on her shoulder,. She was just hateful and silly with her head in the sand regarding how the universe worked.

And yeah it IS weird to not even have been born on Earth (she was born on a separate planet, I thought) and still taking that stuff seriously.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jastiger posted:

I missed the Jecht shot in FF-X because I wasn't paying attention. I thought it was a silly cutscene then missed the prompts. Only later did I find out it was a devastating move in combat AND in blitzball. Curses.

Pretty sure the Jecht shot isn't missable. After you get the airship, if you take the boat ride from Kilika again, the cutscene replays.

Of course, that doesn't help if you want to have the Jecht shot available for that loving blitzball tournament...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
From a few pages back about Fallout morality, it's funny how in New Vegas you get a karma hit from stealing the Powder Gangers' stuff when it's lying around, but if you shoot them to death and go through the corpses' pockets that's considered karmically neutral.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

From a few pages back about Fallout morality, it's funny how in New Vegas you get a karma hit from stealing the Powder Gangers' stuff when it's lying around, but if you shoot them to death and go through the corpses' pockets that's considered karmically neutral.
The game takes place in America. Property is more valuable than life.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Xinlum posted:

This is such a petty complaint but I've been playing all the MGS games for the first time and just got to Peace Walker. It's a real shame it's originally a PSP game. It sucks having each game get prettier with better controls and then just take a massive step backwards due to poo poo hardware.

Agreed! I felt the same though I did come around to quite liking peace Walker. Ground Zeroes on next-gen and V look amazing though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jastiger posted:

And then yeah the religion thing took me out of the game a bit as well since..I mean its pretty clear that you're fighting aliens, malicious AI, and clearly have broken every rule that the bible said exists about the world...but no, we're going to talk about how real Jesus is on a ship floating in the darkness of space, light years away from where that myth originated, possible on through the use of unknown ancient technology, and we're going to say it with a straight face. Then we're going to talk about the best way to approach an alien planet with a monster infestation in the next breath.

Riiiiiigght.

Is Mass Effect really the first story you've read where the writer tries to deal with religion in the context of space or another unexplored frontier or the (idea of the) existence of alien life? How?

e: Sorry I didn't see the new page.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm nearly done with it, and season three of Sam & Max is really solidifying itself as a dragging-down compared to the other seasons. It boils down to a bunch of things, really:

- The engine changed, meaning both the mechanics and the layout of the settings are different. (Christ, I haven't been in S&M's office once yet!)
- While a handful did, a lot of the characters from the previous two seasons haven't crossed over.
- The overarcing plot isn't doing it for me, four chapters in. I blame a decent chunk of this on the do-the-events-out-of-order gimmick of the second (I think?) episode.
- The puzzles seem a lot more complicated this time around. Just having finished the fourth episode, I don't really know how they'd expect anyone to solve the last 'battle' randomly.

Comprehensively, these (and a few things I'm sure I'm forgetting) are bringing down the Season for me, vastly decreasing my internal "Tolerance for being stuck on a puzzle" clock.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Oct 26, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A lot of that is because Telltale wanted to do something different, like with how you're never in the office. Personally I liked it but if you wanted another season with the same format I can see why it'd put you off like it did.

quote:

- The puzzles seem a lot more complicated this time around. Just having finished the fourth episode, I don't really know how they'd expect anyone to solve the last 'battle' randomly.

Which one was that again?

Also just to bring it up the ketchup puzzle in the moai episode in season 2 was bullshit and the only one I had to google to find the answer to. I hate that episode.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Oct 26, 2015

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I'm nearly done with it, and season three of Sam & Max is really solidifying itself as a dragging-down compared to the other seasons. It boils down to a bunch of things, really:

- The engine changed, meaning both the mechanics and the layout of the settings are different. (Christ, I haven't been in S&M's office once yet!)
- While a handful did, a lot of the characters from the previous two seasons haven't crossed over.
- The overarcing plot isn't doing it for me, four chapters in.

Comprehensively, these (and a few things I'm sure I'm forgetting) are bringing down the Season for me, vastly decreasing my internal "Tolerance for being stuck on a puzzle" clock.

I would have played through season 3, but it somehow runs like crap and that drags it down for me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Which one was that again?

The one where you fight the ventriloquist dummy at the end. To be fair I was late for a stream, so I was in full go-from-a-guide-to-get-this-done mode at that point, but while doing it all I could think was "Yeah, there's no way I would've figured this out". Granted, 30% of the time I'm like that anyway, but that feeling was extra strong at that point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MisterBibs posted:

The one where you fight the ventriloquist dummy at the end. To be fair I was late for a stream, so I was in full go-from-a-guide-to-get-this-done mode at that point, but while doing it all I could think was "Yeah, there's no way I would've figured this out". Granted, 30% of the time I'm like that anyway, but that feeling was extra strong at that point.

Was that the one where you switch objects around like changing writing to be demonic text or something? I think I just tooled around until something happened with that one actually. That or the hint system kicked in. I thought Season 3 peaked at the second episode though; I really liked the main puzzle of solving things in other scenes in time to "remember" how it went.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Was that the one where you switch objects around like changing writing to be demonic text or something? I think I just tooled around until something happened with that one actually. That or the hint system kicked in. I thought Season 3 peaked at the second episode though; I really liked the main puzzle of solving things in other scenes in time to "remember" how it went.

Yeah, I'm sure that had I a longer tolerance for trial-and-error guessing in general (and more specifically, the third season) I would've figured it out, but eventually I get to :effort: mode.

I forgot to list it, but I didn't dig the second episode because of that gimmick. Intellectually it was clever has hell, but gameplay wise I had a lot of trouble piecing together the story events in my head.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

Is Mass Effect really the first story you've read where the writer tries to deal with religion in the context of space or another unexplored frontier or the (idea of the) existence of alien life? How?

e: Sorry I didn't see the new page.

Its the first one where they weren't the villain/laughed out of existence/feared for their dangerous religious ways. I mean poo poo, in Alpha Centauri, they were NOT nice people.

Suitaru posted:

Pretty sure the Jecht shot isn't missable. After you get the airship, if you take the boat ride from Kilika again, the cutscene replays.

Of course, that doesn't help if you want to have the Jecht shot available for that loving blitzball tournament...

Ah see, I didn't know that. I was playing it blind and never even figured you could get it then, and of course you're right. YOu miss it for most of the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Its the first one where they weren't the villain/laughed out of existence/feared for their dangerous religious ways. I mean poo poo, in Alpha Centauri, they were NOT nice people.

Admittedly I was thinking of books when I wrote that, I've been thinking about Clarke a lot lately.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Let's talk about enemy bouncing in platformers, specifically Donkey Kong Country. I think Mario's had the right idea for years where you gain more height off enemy bounces when you hold down the jump button upon contact. The DKC series has it so that you gain height if you press jump when you make contact instead, which is kind of annoying because it doesn't feel consistent. DKCR has a neat feature in Diddy's jetpack, where if you have Diddy with you, you can press the jump button mid-air to hover and give you some more air control, which is generally nice. What isn't nice though is if you have Diddy, you need to bounce off an enemy to gain enough height to nab a collectible and you press the jump button just a split second too early above the enemy so you hover instead of bounce. At that point, it's too late to do the bounce, so if you needed that jump, then tough luck.

On a slightly different note, level 1-K can go gently caress itself for demanding precision platforming and requiring successful enemy bounce sequences for completion. At least it's really easy to farm lives and banana coins on that level.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Let's talk about enemy bouncing in platformers, specifically Donkey Kong Country. I think Mario's had the right idea for years where you gain more height off enemy bounces when you hold down the jump button upon contact. The DKC series has it so that you gain height if you press jump when you make contact instead, which is kind of annoying because it doesn't feel consistent. DKCR has a neat feature in Diddy's jetpack, where if you have Diddy with you, you can press the jump button mid-air to hover and give you some more air control, which is generally nice. What isn't nice though is if you have Diddy, you need to bounce off an enemy to gain enough height to nab a collectible and you press the jump button just a split second too early above the enemy so you hover instead of bounce. At that point, it's too late to do the bounce, so if you needed that jump, then tough luck.

On a slightly different note, level 1-K can go gently caress itself for demanding precision platforming and requiring successful enemy bounce sequences for completion. At least it's really easy to farm lives and banana coins on that level.

sorry you're bad at donkey kong

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RBA Starblade posted:

Also just to bring it up the ketchup puzzle in the moai episode in season 2 was bullshit and the only one I had to google to find the answer to. I hate that episode.

There's another puzzle involving ketchup besides the one with cake?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
All this talk about how Christians in space somehow strains credulity (WTF?) is really dragging down this thread.

I think it's vendor trash in games that really irks me lately. Just give me the gold! Or I dunno, give me some flavor text of what I picked up (portrait of Lord Reginald Dickbutt) and then just tell me what I got in gold from it. Stop taking up my inventory!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In Borderlands: The Pre-sequel, there's a quest to drop 50 vendor trash-quality weapons in a deposit box. It rewards a legendary piece of gear. So now, when you're figuring out what you want to carry in your extremely limited inventory, you have another consideration to fret over!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What I didn't get about Borderlands 2 was that the item bank, supposedly for the purpose of storing weapons and crap outside of your limited inventory, is also limited.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

What I didn't get about Borderlands 2 was that the item bank, supposedly for the purpose of storing weapons and crap outside of your limited inventory, is also limited.

And needs to be expanded by spending eridium. Vagrant Story had this thing where you'd have extra item storage on your memory card or something like that. I'd gladly put up with the loading time that had if it meant having a poo poo ton of extra room.

Claptraps secret stash is worse because it only has room for 4 items and needs you to get a certain amount of game progress to access it.

Death Zebra has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Oct 26, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

That reminds me, in Peace Walker weapons development was set up so that your combat unit gave you a GMP pool you could use to develop weapons, and when development was finished the GMP went back in the pool. So it was mainly a restriction on how many items you could develop simultaneously, with an element of gating higher-level items behind a required GMP pool size. That seems like such a better idea than in MGSV where GMP are just straight up money.

MGSV GMP is terrible. It feels super limiting and makes me not want to use all the cool stuff I've developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Death Zebra posted:

And needs to be expanded by spending eridium. Vagrant Story had this thing where you'd have extra item storage on your memory card or something like that. I'd gladly put up with the loading time that had if it meant having a poo poo ton of extra room.

Claptraps secret stash is worse because it only has room for 4 items and needs you to get a certain amount of game progress to access it.

Yeah it was much, much more convenient to just have a friend you trust hop in, or make a second account and hop in split screen with a second controller as a mule.

I guess for another Borderlands dragging down thing, the item duping. I mean overall that was very, very good to have. It made playing with friends bearable because we're not all competing for loot. If someone got a legendary or whatever then everyone got a legendary, or for missions that gave you a choice between two unique items as a reward you could get them both. This was great.

Buuuut, and maybe this was just the friends I played with, they'd want to stop and dupe all the loot every time someone got loot, or if I got a decentish gun we had to stop playing for five minutes so everyone could get it... and then it'd get replaced five minutes later. Also the gun wasn't even that good, it just looked like it was because I was gunzerker and made it good.