Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I assume the book thing is to try and get people who are desperate to read it right away to pay the premium for the hard cover by making no other formats available at first.

On another media related subject, it is incredibly frustrating when a TV show you want to buy is not available anywhere online aside from illegally downloading it. I want to give you money and I don't want to buy a physical copy. Please let me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

walrusman posted:

That's how the French say it, though.

Both are said, "ouh la la!" and "oh la la!"

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Pedestrians walking in the road next to the sidewalk. Why the heck would that ever seem like a good idea to anybody? And then the have to audacity to smile and wave at me when I drive by like I'm their friend. I'm not your friend, dude, go to hell and get off the road.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

grittyreboot posted:

Call him an idiot and tell him to gently caress off. That's serious advice. People with extreme opinions can actually feel validated when people try to debate them.

Bingo. I can't stand this poo poo. "Well I think that [horrible racist or otherwise ignorant, bigoted/misogynistic thing]..." And then, that look. You know the one. That smug loving half-smile where he or she is nearly salivating at the thought of the impending argument. It's so hard not to spit out a rebuttal, but that's what these idiots want. Don't give it to them.

Dr Scoofles posted:

The know it all in my MA seminars who dominates the entire 3 hour session, nobody else can get a word in edge ways.

It's Friday night and we've been here for two hours at this point, having addressed absolutely none of the research we were supposed to be discussing, because you need to stamp your feet and scream about how awful Reagan was and how Republicans are ruining everything when we're supposed to be talking about quantitative data analysis methods seriously I am silently trying to place a collect call to the underworld to make a deal with Satan that will allow me to telekinetically light you on fire

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dr Scoofles posted:

The know it all in my MA seminars who dominates the entire 3 hour session, nobody else can get a word in edge ways.

I found this was super common in my lower-level liberal courses. Actually, there's one now in particular, and a question such as "What does Marshall McLuhan mean by 'media'?" will launch this man into a ten-minute verbal diarrhea attack wherein he will, with no irony whatsoever, use the expression 'new world order'. It's irritating. I'm only in undergrad, but at least upper-level history seminars end up being ten tired looking nerds who don't want to say anything, and when they do, they're usually succinct (and correct).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

I found this was super common in my lower-level liberal courses. Actually, there's one now in particular, and a question such as "What does Marshall McLuhan mean by 'media'?" will launch this man into a ten-minute verbal diarrhea attack wherein he will, with no irony whatsoever, use the expression 'new world order'. It's irritating. I'm only in undergrad, but at least upper-level history seminars end up being ten tired looking nerds who don't want to say anything, and when they do, they're usually succinct (and correct).

If only the real McLuhan would appear to say "You know nothing of my work."

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

On my phone, when I'm trying to scroll down and the screen interprets my swipe down motion as a tap, instead, and opens whatever my finger was on top of when I started swiping. I hate it, and it drives me loving bonkers! Half the time it doesn't register a tap when I do mean to tap, as well. What am I doing wrong? Stupid phone makes me feel like an old lady! :bahgawd:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I just had to go to the pharmacy. There was one clerk at the counter. There was a long line. The woman at the head of this line had a cart absolutely brimming with groceries, and she insisted on making the single pharmacy clerk ring them all up at the pharmacy counter which is not in any way equipped for large volume sales. How loving entitled do you have to be to hold up the entire line and monopolize the clerk instead of just paying for your loving medicine and then going to the front to pay for the rest? That would have been faster for her, too, because at the front they actually have conveyor belts and more than a single loving stack of plastic bags :bahgawd:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress does Google's voice to text recognition get "Thierry Mugler" and "Issey Miyake" right but keeps making "Monday" into "uncle." What the gently caress, google.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Our grocery store pharmacy now has large "5 item limit" signs for exactly that reason

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Our grocery store pharmacy now has large "5 item limit" signs for exactly that reason

Those signs don't deter anyone. You see people go into the 10 items or less lane all the time with 20+ things and say things like "i'm getting 10 of the same thing, it only counts as one item" etc if they ever get called out on it. People will just go to whatever the shortest line is because nobody ever enforces the rules so the worst they get is a few eye rolls and dirty looks their way.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There's not counter space at the pharmacy for more than a couple items and the clerks there sure as hell aren't going to wait for you to cycle through a cart full of crap

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

Do some people personify their car and feel that it gets lonely if it's not parked next to another vehicle, even if that vehicle is parked in an empty parking lot? :psyduck:

My wife named her car and has an unhealthy obsession with it. I imagine she is not the only one who does this pointless bullshit.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Murphy Brownback posted:

Those signs don't deter anyone. You see people go into the 10 items or less lane all the time with 20+ things and say things like "i'm getting 10 of the same thing, it only counts as one item" etc if they ever get called out on it. People will just go to whatever the shortest line is because nobody ever enforces the rules so the worst they get is a few eye rolls and dirty looks their way.

As a former grocery store cashier I can assure you that if you tell people to go into a different line it results in tantrums, many of which are very infantile and often even involve foot stomping

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I have no doubt that if any mere RETAIL PEON dared try to correct the high and holy Customer who wanted to get her entire cart of groceries rung up at the loving pharmacy, it would have unleashed a Rich White Woman Storm of epic proportions. Hurricane Helen

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

As a former grocery store cashier I can assure you that if you tell people to go into a different line it results in tantrums, many of which are very infantile and often even involve foot stomping

I've seen a couple times hwere the cashier tried to enforce the limit, only to have the manager overrule them and ring them up themselves while apologizing profusely, and no lesson is ever learned.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say one of my pet peeves is "people who've never worked in the service industry a day in their lives". You know the people I'm talking about. And honestly, even people who've never worked in service sectors who AREN'T complete monsters are still often pretty ignorant when they go out, and it sometimes shows. I know it's unfair, because they don't know any better, but drat.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Tiggum posted:

You can definitely specify the size of the various elements in HTML to avoid this problem, and it's really annoying that people don't.

Also, websites that are hard-coded to a fixed width are annoying as hell because on modern monitors you end up with a bunch of unused space to make sure people still using 1024x768 or whatever can see the whole thing. Cracked and SBS are two that I find particularly bad. The actual article takes up less than half the available space on my screen.

You just need to get old and start zooming!

I always figured they do it this way because you need to keep text in (relatively) narrow columns, otherwise it can be difficult to read (and if you have a short article with a lot of images interspersed it can get real goofy-looking if it's all stretched out.)

They could still have the CSS rearrange all the elements on the page so that there's always something across the entire width (like ads!), although I don't personally see the point.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cash crab posted:

You know the people I'm talking about.

And god help you if you work at a price premium store. Any attempt to correct a customer will, 99% of the time, result in "I PAY MORE TO SHOP HERE BECAUSE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO HAVE BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE THAN EVERYBODY ELSE BUT I GUESS I SHOULD TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE"

At the last store I worked at, we kept one checkout lane (the last one, farthest from the exit doors) blocked off so delivery and catering people could use it to ring poo poo up before it left the store. There were product displays in front of it, keeping you from approaching it, its light was never on, and there were empty carts blocking the actual lane. Any person who looked at that should've thought "welp that one's closed."

Haha nope. I'm ringing up a delivery order for an old lady who needs her groceries before bridge club this afternoon when I look up and see a lady moving the displays out of her way. Rather than wait behind a single person in line at another register, she actually moved three huge cardboard displays full of candy bars and other crap and several shopping carts out of the way and started dumping her groceries onto my belt. Thankfully, my manager saw this happen and took my delivery for me, so old Mrs. Jenkins's microwave dinners wouldn't thaw out, but I was completely blown away.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
-Drivers who honk their car horn at you when you're crossing the road, on a pedestrian crossing, and the crossing light is green. ...hello??
-When someone says "Bless you" when I'm in the middle of a sneezing fit. Not because I have a weird /r/atheism issue with the phrase bless you [I am an atheist, but I don't mind people that] - but because if I'm not done sneezing, they have to repeat themselves after every sneeze. :gonk:
-When I've already left the house for work/college before I realize my feet feel weird - I accidentally put on two left socks/two right socks. Agh.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

no they will not posted:

-When I've already left the house for work/college before I realize my feet feel weird - I accidentally put on two left socks/two right socks. Agh.
Do you wear toe socks or something? I didn't know left/right-footed socks were even a thing otherwise.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If you wear the same sock on the same foot enough times the sock will start conforming to the shape of your foot. Washing them in between wearings doesn't make a difference, it just makes the process take longer.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

InediblePenguin posted:

Do you wear toe socks or something? I didn't know left/right-footed socks were even a thing otherwise.

Some running socks are left- or right-footed and they provide arch support. You can gently caress up your feet if you wear them on the wrong feet. Fortunately my running socks are all different colors so I don't have two lefts or rights that look the same.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
People saying bless you when I sneeze. I get really mad and give them a firm dressing down.

Another SERIOUS one is when folks celebrate a milestone for a manager/boss/supervisor. Today it was the supervisors birthday so everyone had to sing "happy birthday" to the supervisor. Nothing against him, but there are 20 some people on this team; each who have HAD to have a birthday in the mean time. But no, we all have to stop and celebrate. gently caress that poo poo. It always comes off as trying to suck leaderships cock every time, and it happens at every level of corporate. Just because they get paid more than us doesn't' mean their birthday means more.

Same for "boss day" and poo poo like that. I can see it making sense in a professional setting if the boss actually leads the team in work and expertise, but 9 times out of 10 they just have the most tenure/knew the previous boss/had good timing. Why should we celebrate people that control our lives unless it was to score brownie points?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And god help you if you work at a price premium store. Any attempt to correct a customer will, 99% of the time, result in "I PAY MORE TO SHOP HERE BECAUSE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO HAVE BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE THAN EVERYBODY ELSE BUT I GUESS I SHOULD TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE"

At the last store I worked at, we kept one checkout lane (the last one, farthest from the exit doors) blocked off so delivery and catering people could use it to ring poo poo up before it left the store. There were product displays in front of it, keeping you from approaching it, its light was never on, and there were empty carts blocking the actual lane. Any person who looked at that should've thought "welp that one's closed."

Haha nope. I'm ringing up a delivery order for an old lady who needs her groceries before bridge club this afternoon when I look up and see a lady moving the displays out of her way. Rather than wait behind a single person in line at another register, she actually moved three huge cardboard displays full of candy bars and other crap and several shopping carts out of the way and started dumping her groceries onto my belt. Thankfully, my manager saw this happen and took my delivery for me, so old Mrs. Jenkins's microwave dinners wouldn't thaw out, but I was completely blown away.

When my brothers were quite young, my father brought them to the Northwest Mall and watched them play on those little $0.25 rides at the centre of the mall and watched as a woman approached them and gave them one of those Chick Tract books. Neither of them could read at this point and one asked the other, "What was that all about?" to which the other replied, "It doesn't matter, she'll be dead soon."

Kinda grim, but that's sort of my motto for out of control old customers. Really, you gonna spend your last three weeks or whatever fighting me about the price of peaches or how many things you can take into the express lane? Okay, nice use of your time, asswad

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

artsy fartsy posted:

You just need to get old and start zooming!

I actually do this already. I'd rather have the whole thing zoomed to 200% than see all that white space.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I had a weird fellow customer experience yesterday that almost sounds like a complete bullshit story it was so odd.

I was walking to the empty checkout with one item when an elderly lady with a full basket comes hurrying up the wrong end of the queue area and arrives at the checkout just as I put my item down. She then grabs my arm and starts saying, with a laughing face 'ohh you naughty thing, you just nipped in before me! It's because you're young, you thought you could get in before me ahahah' and even though her face is smiling she's squeezing my arm so hard it really hurt. I laugh it off, get my item and make to walk away and she holds on super hard and says in a laughing but strained voice 'now I'm not going to say you're thin, but I think you used your smallness to get in front of me.' I just laughed politely and walked off, but not before an old man selling poppies at the door stopped me and insisted I was a girl called Louise that he used to know. I'm not!

I live in a retirement town and old people are the rudest people.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I know smoke alarms are supposed to be life-savers, but they're just loving annoying the other 99.999999999999999% of time that nothing is going on. Cooking something greasy/slightly smoky? Sound the loving alarm. Oh you haven't pressed my button in a week? Better chirp loudly until you press the test button to confirm that I still work. Low battery? Better make a loud chirp every 30 seconds until the battery is changed, starting at 3am. This is what is pissing me off, because the people in the upstairs unit had one of their smoke alarms doing the low battery chirp, but it apparently wasn't loud enough to wake them up to turn it off. So I got awoken around 4am and once I noticed the chirp I couldn't get back to sleep. I also couldn't identify the source, so went around standing by each smoke alarm in my unit and the basement trying to figure out which one was making the noise. Luckily I can go into work whenever I want because that poo poo drives me loving nuts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

bradzilla posted:

I know smoke alarms are supposed to be life-savers, but they're just loving annoying the other 99.999999999999999% of time that nothing is going on.
Also bugs like to nest in them.

Anyway, I can't stand people who take the last drink and don't put more in the fridge or say anything. Whether it's a friend who pops over and has a drink, or someone who shares the living space and has the last can of coke. :argh: at least say something so someone can put more in and no one has to have a warm drink.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Nuebot posted:

Also bugs like to nest in them.

Anyway, I can't stand people who take the last drink and don't put more in the fridge or say anything. Whether it's a friend who pops over and has a drink, or someone who shares the living space and has the last can of coke. :argh: at least say something so someone can put more in and no one has to have a warm drink.

My SO eats all the junk food I buy and doesn't tell me. I don't eat junk food very often so before he moved in a bag of chips would last 1-2 months and candy would last like, a year. Yes sometimes it would go bad. But anyways, once he moved in, he started eating everything and not telling me, so I would be like "man I really want one of those Drumsticks I have in the freezer," I'd go look, and there's no loving Drumsticks. You don't know how sad and disappointed I feel when that happens.

Then, after telling him to stop eating everything 20 times, he usually started leaving some for me.

2 chips, 4 m&ms, and the like. I don't want crumbs!

Oh and one time I got some candy as a gift and put it in the cupboard. I wake up the next morning and it's all gone! I didn't even get to try one piece. It's been 2 years and I still haven't forgiven him for that.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Oct 27, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My boyfriend will leave like, the tiniest scrape of ice cream in the container, I guess so he doesn't feel like he ate the whole thing. Drives me up the wall.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Thin Privilege posted:

Oh and one time I got some candy as a gift and put it in the cupboard. I wake up the next morning and it's all gone! I didn't even get to try one piece. It's been 2 years and I still haven't forgiven him for that.
That's unforgivable. I would honestly flip my lid. But I have resource guarding issues like a neurotic chihuahua so everyone knows not to do that poo poo to me.

My almost-father-in-law can't shut up when there's something on the TV, there has to be a constant commentary pointing out obvious things or repeating what someone just said. Sometimes if there's a non-white person on TV the commentary finds a different flavour. If it's an Irish person or someone with a vaguely Irish name doing anything then everything they do is attributed to the Irish blood they must have. Just... Let me watch the thing... :(

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

People who can't hang out so they offer half-hearted advice about something else you could do instead. Just say no! I know how friends work, I don't need a brief list of other people that might wish to do activities.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Using "of his/hers" etc., to describe possession of something.

For example:

"That shirt of his is really cool!"
"I really liked that car of hers"
"I really want to touch that hair of yours"

This drives me insane. Just say "HIS SHIRT" or "HER CAR" or "YOUR HAIR"!!!

It seems like more people are doing this now, or maybe I'm just noticing it more, I don't know, but ARGH.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Oct 28, 2015

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

People who think they know you, then get all offended when you point out you're not that person. I've had this happen a couple of times. Most recently I was invited to a friend of a friend's house party in Seattle and right when I showed up some dude I've never seen walked over:
:downs: Yo dude I know you, I met you clubbin' last week!
(I haven't been to a club or bar since July)
:geno: Uh, nope, not me. Maybe I look like someone you know?
:downs: (gets this weird look on his face) No man, you were at Foundation [dance club], remember?
:geno: I've never been to Foundation.
:downs: (now getting legit angry): What the gently caress dude, why you lying to me?
:geno: I'm not. Who do you think I am?
:downs: gently caress YOU MAN WHY YOU BEING LIKE THAT (storms off)
:geno: what

A shittier version of this was about a year ago - I was making deliveries in Seattle and hadn't had my break yet. After I finished one of my stops, I lit a cigarette and sat on a small bench. I was staring off in space and heard
"Keith! ....hey, Keith! KEITH! KEIIIIIIIIITH! KEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! " so I looked over wondering what this poor bastard Keith had done to have someone screaming his name when I realized the woman who was yelling was looking directly at me. The moment we made eye contact she practically ran up to my face:
:q: Keith, why didn't you answer me?
:geno: Uh, I'm not Keith. I do-
:q: Keith, knock it off. Did Susan call you?
:geno: Lady, I don't know who you're talking about. I'm not even from Se-
:q: I'M GETTING TIRED OF THIS poo poo KEITH
:geno: For the last time I'm not Keith and I don't know who he is. I'm [bucksmash]
:q: (surprised) Oh! Sorry, you look like someone i know.
:geno: It's okay, no big deal.
I'm thankful that she realized I'm me and not Keith, and finish my cigarette. As I'm getting up, suddenly she grabs my arm, hard enough that her nails were actually digging in my skin and it hurt:
:q: Okay Keith, I'm done playing your game. Now you need to tell me-
:geno: (yank my arm out of her grip and lose it) I JUST loving TOLD YOU I'M NOT loving KEITH AND DON'T loving TOUCH ME
:q: ...well excuse me. ...rear end in a top hat!
:geno: gently caress OFF YOU STUPID oval office BITCH (not proud that I screamed that in her face, but I was pissed) Thankfully she got the hint and quickly walked away. Oh poor Keith, I hope she never found you.

I guess this leads in to the root of my pet peeve: when someone makes a mistake, rather than go "oops my bad" they won't admit they messed and instead get loving weird because they're embarrassed or something.

bucksmash has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Oct 28, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

God drat it Keith stop gaslighting us you bastard, we won't fall for it!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

See also: people who blame you when you tell them they dialed a wrong number

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

This, very much. There are two women in town, one who lives in the east end and one who lives around my neighborhood, who look like me. I have had several uncomfortable conversations with people who insist I went to highschool with them. I need to find these women and we need to coordinate our hairstyles or something so that this doesn't keep happening.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
When people don't let you dislike something in peace. "How can you not like [thing]?" is not a valid question. "It's so awesome!" is entirely subjective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Microwaves that beep every 10 seconds forever once they're done cooking.