Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Lance Hoyt, Architect of the Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is a whole lot of authoritative-sounding text on a subject "Joe Wrestling" doesn't have a single thing right about.

e: warning for SamuraiFoochs, the second graf might be triggering for you

At least the first paragraph seems moderately well-written, which makes me wonder where Joe Wrestling copied it from. Grammar, orthography and general style go to hell in the second paragraph.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How do you write Curt Hawkins three times and not spell it right once?

Also that SoA gimmick was clearly ripped off from TNA and not, you know, SoA.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Well, it's not a bad opinion...

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
r/squaredcircle has some SCIENCE for you, brother.

"A PSA about light tubes in wrestling"

quote:

The /r/WTF thread has a lot of misinformation in it, specifically regarding deathmatches and light tubes. Light tubes have been around in deathmatch wrestling for a long time. They make a big noise, a big explosion, and they look really violent. They pop the crowd. But they are not the potentially fatal items that some people seem to believe they are.

First of all, THE WRESTLERS DO NOT GET MERCURY POISONING FROM THE LIGHT TUBES. For christ's sake, if they did, they wouldn't keep using them. The mercury vapor is drained from the lights beforehand and replaced with talcum powder. That's where that powdery explosion comes from. Even if they didn't do that, the amount of mercury in a standard fluorescent light tube is minuscule enough to pose no threat to anyone that isn't a child, a small animal or a pregnant woman.

If anything, the biggest risk when using light tubes is getting a serious laceration, like when Nick Gage had to be helicoptered to a hospital after going through light tubes the wrong way. Even then, the reason light tubes are so popular is that they cause a lot of shallow, superficial cuts that aren't actually too harmful. They create a lot of blood but not enough to be seriously dangerous to one's health.

Deathmatch wrestling may not be everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine, but don't call the workers idiots if you don't understand the mechanics of what they're doing. I don't claim to be an insider, and I don't know how a lot of stuff in wrestling is achieved, but I know that a wrestler will not willingly do something that would seriously injure him or herself. Wrestling is a work, guys. I'm not diminishing what these guys do, it's incredibly painful and physical and the risk of injury is always present but it's incredibly pretentious to call somebody stupid for doing what they want to do if you don't know how they do it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rodney the Piper posted:

this is not a stupid opinion.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

A lot of wrestlers, deathmatch or otherwise, are stupid though

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

it's a stupid explanation that doesn't make any sense

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Rodney the Piper posted:

it's a stupid explanation that doesn't make any sense

Well, actually the first 3 parts are probably true, like anytime I watch some Big Japan the lighttubes always explode into a cloud of dust, which probably is just talcum powder like he says or w/e.

the last part is stupid and unnecessary, yes.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There's a right way to go through light tubes?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rodney the Piper posted:

Written by a man who is clearly not familiar with the work of New Jack.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mariooncrack posted:

There's a right way to go through light tubes?

but you can't learn it in wrestling school, according to Jim Ross.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

that's because 80% of the curriculum is learning how to fall

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Madtrixr posted:

Well, actually the first 3 parts are probably true, like anytime I watch some Big Japan the lighttubes always explode into a cloud of dust, which probably is just talcum powder like he says or w/e.

the last part is stupid and unnecessary, yes.

Was this on purpose?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

Saying wrestlers would never willingly do something that would seriously injure them is actually pretty stupid

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

This part is:

quote:

I don't claim to be an insider, and I don't know how a lot of stuff in wrestling is achieved, but I know that a wrestler will not willingly do something that would seriously injure him or herself.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Saying wrestlers would never willingly do something that would seriously injure them is actually pretty stupid

RIP Daniel Bryan

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mob posted:

that's because 80% of the curriculum is learning how to fall

Batman went to wrestling school?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mob posted:

that's because 80% of the curriculum is cardio

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dear god yes, take him from us.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Don't be weird" is about the extent of his banter though, so yeah, maybe that is elite level wreddit bants

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

those dingdongs could never get rovert to to burn out, the man is a walking Rise Above Banter shirt

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

banter is dumb

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

oatgan posted:

banter is dumb

classic reverse banter trap

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Let's Go Banter

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
No She's Not!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Totes bants man

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I just stole the pic from someone else tbh.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Stealing is wrong, Rovert.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I cannot condone the cool, cool crime of theft.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Muddy Burphy posted:

Was this on purpose?

The fact that the act of explaining something is now a target for giggly, smirky mocking catchphrases for dumbass internet leftists is insanely retarded to me.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

please stop subtweeting me

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

The fact that the act of explaining something is now a target for giggly, smirky mocking catchphrases for dumbass internet leftists is insanely retarded to me.

I'm really big fan of how everything you don't like is because of leftists

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

loving millennials.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Source your quotes for the thread.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I didn't know that I'm a leftist

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Internet leftists have the sickest Berns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Banter is Booty