Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Begemot posted:

The gundams in G Gundam are specifically the mobile suits used to represent counties in the gundam fight. Your do see non gundam suits a few times, like the one that butler uses (with a steering wheel) and the amphibious ones that come to take out the tequila gundam.

Also the entire death army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

By series:

MSG: prototype.
Zeta: next-gen mass production model (Gundam Mk. II), then cutting edge ace custom (Zeta Gundam).
ZZ: prototype.
CCA: cutting edge ace custom.
0080: prototype.
0083: prototypes.
F91: prototype.
Victory: prototype.
G Gundam: "Gundam" is basically the generic term for mobile suit.
08th MS Team: limited stop-gap production run making use of leftover excess spare parts for the original Gundam prototype.
Wing: one-off custom suits developed from a single prototype.
Gundam X: one of the few remaining pre-war mass-production mobile suits.
Turn-A: powerful artefact from the distant past.
SEED: prototype.
00: super robots.
Unicorn: prototype.
G-Reco: prototypes.
IBO: powerful artefact from the (much less distant) past.

It should be noted here that AGE is a prototype specifically based off a machine from the distant past and G-Self is a prototype based off blueprints from the distant past. So both of those are prototypes but still based around robots from the distant past.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

By series:

Zeta: next-gen mass production model (Gundam Mk. II), then cutting edge ace custom (Zeta Gundam).
08th MS Team: limited stop-gap production run making use of leftover excess spare parts for the original Gundam prototype.

GBF: model kits

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Actually, a more accurate description of the Wing Gundams would be "Robot Masters created by Doctor Wily".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly really it is interesting to think about. SEED is pretty much the only modern Gundam where the protagonist suit either isn't or isn't based off of legendary robots from the past, almost all of whom are some variation on the Gundam RX-78-2. (And that is just because SEED is retelling the RX-78-2 instead.) Without even thinking about it much Gundam has become a series about new people trying to emulate or recapture the classic. Kinda fitting for Gundam as a whole.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 27, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly really it is interesting to think about. SEED is pretty much the only modern Gundam where the protagonist suit either isn't or isn't based off of legendary robots from the past, almost all of whom are some variation on the Gundam RX-78-2. (And that is just because SEED is retelling the RX-78-2 instead.) Without even thinking about it much Gundam has become a series about new people trying to emulate or recapture the classic. Kinda fitting for Gundam as a whole.

00 didn't do that either. The 0 gundam is like 10 years old at the start of the show.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The 0 gundam isn't legendary to anyone but setsuna.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 0 Gundam is decades old and the result of a hundreds years super-project. If you're gonna quibble over that then you should point out that the Gundam X is only a few decades old too! Gundam X is still treated as a legendary robot from the past despite Jamil piloting one. The exact amount of time matters less than the portrayal.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The 0 Gundam is decades old and the result of a hundreds years super-project. If you're gonna quibble over that then you should point out that the Gundam X is only a few decades old too!

That's also true, but I assumed you didn't include X in 'modern'

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The 0 Gundam is decades old and the result of a hundreds years super-project. If you're gonna quibble over that then you should point out that the Gundam X is only a few decades old too! Gundam X is still treated as a legendary robot from the past despite Jamil piloting one. The exact amount of time matters less than the portrayal.
It's one appearance is that time with setsuna and it's regulated to a turret in the last fight. Every gundam on 00 is te result of a super project. They aren't really treated as legendary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

That's also true, but I assumed you didn't include X in 'modern'

It's probably too old but honestly the fact it goes back that far just kinda underlines it. (Though it's less fair to X because it was before that became a long-running trend.) It's just interesting to think about how "based on/is an ancient Gundam" has become about as much of a part of Gundam as Char clones at this point.

Monaghan posted:

It's one appearance is that time with setsuna and it's regulated to a turret in the last fight. Every gundam on 00 is te result of a super project. They aren't really treated as legendary.

0 Gundam is absolutely presented and treated as legendary by the show itself. It isn't 'iconic' to anyone but Setsuna but Setsuna being the protagonist makes that kinda key. Flit is the only one who really cares about the legendary Gundam in AGE but it still fills a similar niche.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 27, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably too old but honestly the fact it goes back that far just kinda underlines it. (Though it's less fair to X because it was before that became a long-running trend.) It's just interesting to think about how "based on/is an ancient Gundam" has become about as much of a part of Gundam as Char clones at this point.

It hasn't though? Four shows have done it (five if you count X). Even if the plan in 00 is hundreds of years old the robots aren't.

Edit: regarding your other point: While Flit was the only person who really cared about the ancient gundam, it was parrt of their history and cultural heritage. The 0 gundam was a secret only the people involved with the plan knew about. For something to be legendary there needs to be a legend about it, and something is only a legend if many people know about it.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 27, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

It hasn't though? Three shows have done it (four if you count X). Even if the plan in 00 is hundreds of years old the robots aren't.

I'm not sure why you're sticking with "hundreds of years" in this case when Gundam X does the exact same thing with a couple of decades tops. I said "from the past."

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you're sticking with "hundreds of years" in this case when Gundam X does the exact same thing with a couple of decades tops. I said "from the past."

Everything is based off something from the past. By that logic you should include the Mk.II

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, first episode of Zeta, dubbed. First impressions: this is gonna be so 80s it hurts. Not big on the music, but the cheesy saxophone ending is awesome. It looks like they have an actual budget this time around, much better picture quality and animation (though they spent a huge amount of time showing us Kamille's legs as he ran). As for voice acting, it's actually not that bad. It's certainly Blue water/Ocean's second team and not their frontrunners like Scott McNeil or the Dobsons, but it's perfectly functional. Tom Edwards is no Michael Kopsa, but he still works for Char in that understated, calm performance. Kamille's voice actor is rather good as well, sounds enough like a teenager while different from Amuro.

As for content, yeesh, you guys weren't kidding when you said this show is full of dickheads. Kamille punches out two Titans and an MP in this episode alone, and gets kicked in the head and billy clubbed in the gut for good measure. And the apparent protagonists, the AEUG, fire a fuckoff beam cannon at a civilian colony. Black MK II looks pretty menacing, would have liked to see it in action a bit more, but that seems to be coming next ep.

The dub is fairly decent with some great performances here and there. It's the same team did that did G Gundam. Master Asia is the Narrator, Captain Henken and a lot of other minor characters. Although Zeta Amuro would go on to voice Shinn in the Destiny dub so he moved up I guess.

I really liked Kamille's voice and he helped make Kamille my favorite Gundam MC. But most of the best VAs won't be showing up for a while.

Begemot posted:

The dub opening is better :colbert:

But yeah it's a surprisingly good dub for when it was made. No General Septums or anything. And get used to be people getting beat up outside of mobile suits a lot. It's kind of a running thing in Zeta.

The second Japanese Zeta OP is really good I think. "From the [Something] Star with Love."

And a poster on here once said there are more punches thrown in Zeta than in G Gundam. I always thought that was apt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

Everything is based off something from the past. By that logic you should include the Mk.II

The difference there is that the Mark II is based off a show that actually aired so the context is a bit different Even then, yes, within the context of the show the Mark II is explicitly them trying to recapture the original Gundam. It's the stated purpose of it being a Mark II in fact.

With the newer shows they all basically (to lesser or greater degrees) have a "original Gundam" that didn't air but none the less sets the stage for things and who the protagonists are emulating. It's like most of the shows start at Zeta Gundam instead. It's a bit iffier with Wing prior to Frozen Teardrop but I think we can all safely ignore Frozen Teardrop. SEED is the exception only in that it actually is presenting its original Gundam variant which isn't really any more original. 00 Gundam literally has a predecessor which is just a slightly altered redesign of the RX-78-2 Gundam and it's even piloted by Amuro Ray. It's really not subtle.

The franchise is kind of bogged down in the original show even with alt-universes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The difference there is that the Mark II is based off a show that actually aired so the context is a bit different Even then, yes, within the context of the show the Mark II is explicitly them trying to recapture the original Gundam. It's the stated purpose of it being a Mark II in fact.

With the newer shows they all basically (to lesser or greater degrees) have a "original Gundam" that didn't air but none the less sets the stage for things and who the protagonists are emulating. It's like most of the shows start at Zeta Gundam instead. It's a bit iffier with Wing prior to Frozen Teardrop but I think we can all safely ignore Frozen Teardrop. SEED is the exception only in that it actually is presenting its original Gundam variant which isn't really any more original. 00 Gundam literally has a predecessor which is just a slightly altered redesign of the RX-78-2 Gundam and it's even piloted by Amuro Ray. It's really not subtle.

The franchise is kind of bogged down in the original show even with alt-universes.

Oh that's what you mean. In that case I agree yeah, one of the franchise's biggest flaws overall is that it overrelies on tradition, I think

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

By series:

Uso's Victory was not a prototype, it was the first off the assembly line.

I mean, the first place they go to is the manufacturing plant for it and get a bunch of spare parts for it. Oliver arrives in a second core fighter. It just takes a while for the other mass-produced ones to show up and Oliver never properly assembles his because the main character has to be the only one to use a Gundam for as long as possible.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Remember that one urban fight in 08th? You know the one, where they were grappling down buildings running down freeways and stuff? Is there any show that has more of that kind of fighting?

When I think of Gundam, I tend to think of battleship formations launching robots who cross lightsabres and fire Space Shotguns at each other. I'd like to see less space weaponry and more machine guns and urban combat like that. I dunno if any of the shows I haven't seen do that, maybe Turn-A since it's got this Ghibli Lite setting that might be less prone to laser battles among asteroid fields?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Craptacular! posted:

Remember that one urban fight in 08th? You know the one, where they were grappling down buildings running down freeways and stuff? Is there any show that has more of that kind of fighting?

When I think of Gundam, I tend to think of battleship formations launching robots who cross lightsabres and fire Space Shotguns at each other. I'd like to see less space weaponry and more machine guns and urban combat like that. I dunno if any of the shows I haven't seen do that, maybe Turn-A since it's got this Ghibli Lite setting that might be less prone to laser battles among asteroid fields?

Most Gundam shows don't really go for gritty feeling combat. 08th MS has it, 0080 has it to a degree, and the first couple of episodes of the currently airing Iron Blooded Orphans have had that sort of fighting. For a show based entirely around that style of combat I'd recommend you watch VOTOMs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

watch VOTOMs.

Good advice in any circumstances.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Craptacular! posted:

Any time lambda drivers aren't being used in FMP. Admittedly not as frequent as I'd like.

Opter
Jul 8, 2010

Midjack posted:

Good advice in any circumstances

Want a less cringe worthy protagonist? Watch VOTOMS.
Want more real-robot fighting? Watch VOTOMS.
Want a feel good story about a man who enjoys his job? Watch VOTOMS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I gotta say "Chirico" and "enjoys his job" are two things I would never tie together in a billion years.

Opter
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I gotta say "Chirico" and "enjoys his job" are two things I would never tie together in a billion years.

I dunno. He looked pretty satisfied about setting dudes on fire in Space-Vietnam.

Then again, I admit I haven't watched anything after Shining Heresy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Okay, well then, that covers that. I'd ask what I should watch that I haven't watched yet, but I'd guess the answer is "Turn-A". I've watched the MSG movies, 08th, 0080, 0083, Zeta TV, ZZ (augh!), and Char's Counterattack. And I watched Wing way back in high school, and am watching IBO right now.

I tried watching Turn-A and should get back into it sometime. I'm kind of interested in X because I've heard it was at least planned as a quasi-sequel to Wing. I have Unicorn but haven't watched it yet. I know nothing about Seed because it was new when I was watching all the UC stuff outlined above, and because the early-mid 2000s were kind of an abysmal time for anime in general to me.

I have zero interest in G-Gundam because it just looks too goofy, and I know nothing about all these extra miniseries and spinoffs.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Okay, well then, that covers that. I'd ask what I should watch that I haven't watched yet, but I'd guess the answer is "Turn-A". I've watched the MSG movies, 08th, 0080, 0083, Zeta TV, ZZ (augh!), and Char's Counterattack. And I watched Wing way back in high school, and am watching IBO right now.

I tried watching Turn-A and should get back into it sometime. I'm kind of interested in X because I've heard it was at least planned as a quasi-sequel to Wing. I have Unicorn but haven't watched it yet. I know nothing about Seed because it was new when I was watching all the UC stuff outlined above, and because the early-mid 2000s were kind of an abysmal time for anime in general to me.

There's nothing in X that suggests it's a quasi-sequel to Wing. If anything it's a "what if" for UC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X really has nothing sequel-like for Wing. The closest comparison is that it is a version of the OYW where everything went to (more) poo poo instead

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Opter posted:

Want a less cringe worthy protagonist? Watch VOTOMS.
Want more real-robot fighting? Watch VOTOMS.
Want a feel good story about a man who enjoys his job? Watch VOTOMS.

I second this.

Sharkopath posted:

Your client is blacklisted, check their list and get an older version.

Ah, there we go. Much better. Thanks!

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 27, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

I second this.

Your client is blacklisted, check their list and get an older version.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

By series:

Not to :goonsay:, but the MK II was just a test-bed for the movable frame concept, while the Gundams in X are cutting-edge MP mobile suits made as a trump card for the UNE just before the war ended. X has plenty of regular MP suits running around by the time series starts.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ImpAtom posted:

X really has nothing sequel-like for Wing. The closest comparison is that it is a version of the OYW where everything went to (more) poo poo instead

Yeah, the only real "link" between Wing and X is that the character design is pretty damned similar. I imagine it's the same person, but I'm too lazy to check.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Craptacular! posted:

Season 1 of Code Geass involves (mostly) fairly low-tech, smallish mechs using zip rollers and grappling hook/claw things to maneuver around in urban landscapes. By the end of season 1 there's a few flight capable units but it still remains fairly dynamic and interesting. Season 2 by comparison devolves into almost everything just flying around and the fight choreography suffers as a result. Most weapons are solid round firing machineguns or solid blades, with a few high-end prototypes with varyingly primitive equivalents to beam weaponry.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am a big fan of roller/skating mechs. Tiny detail I really enjoyed about the Zone of the Enders games is how if you fly as low as you can on land you'll grind and throw sparks everywhere.

I think Geass had a lot of cool moments with their roller mechs. Kallen definitely had a badass moment or two in her final showdown with Suzaku.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Not to :goonsay:, but the MK II was just a test-bed for the movable frame concept, while the Gundams in X are cutting-edge MP mobile suits made as a trump card for the UNE just before the war ended. X has plenty of regular MP suits running around by the time series starts.

My favourite thing about this list is people pointing out these inaccuracies, but my calling 00 a super robot show is something everyone agrees with. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My favourite thing about this list is people pointing out these inaccuracies, but my calling 00 a super robot show is something everyone agrees with. :v:

Well it really is, from the perspective of everyone who wasn't a member of Celestial Being at least. There you are, showing off your top-of-the-line transforming fighter going through its paces, then some fancy white motherfucker touches down in a cloud of magical flickering lights and cleaves your billion-dollar robot in two like it's made of warm butter. Then for a followup it floats away to make your existing fighter aces look like fumbling morons.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I have zero interest in G-Gundam because it just looks too goofy, and I know nothing about all these extra miniseries and spinoffs.

It's not 100% what you are looking for, but MS Igloo was pretty good about having more interesting fights than mainline series, as well as a focus on the grunts instead of whiny teenage aces.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
No mention of GBF? For shame. I mean, it does a lot of different varieties of giant robot fight, but episode eighteen contains one of the most spectacular urban combat scenes in the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nasgate posted:

It's not 100% what you are looking for, but MS Igloo was pretty good about having more interesting fights than mainline series, as well as a focus on the grunts instead of whiny teenage aces.

I hope you're happy; you've making me watch IGLOO now. I've stayed away from it until now because of the CGI.