Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

silvergoose posted:

Old fashioned is the one he usually recommends (there's a rum thread!), yeah.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551855

I also often recommend the Clyde River Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The Hebug posted:

It's pretty baller in a Negroni. Equal parts Smith & Cross, Carpano Antica, Campari, orange twist aka Kingston Negroni.

Holy poo poo I'm making these this weekend.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Found half a bottle of Calvados that I'd forgotten about. Figured I'd do something with it, so I made a Calvados Old Fashioned. Calvados, honey, bitters.

I think I'll make this again.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

cptn_dr posted:

Found half a bottle of Calvados that I'd forgotten about. Figured I'd do something with it, so I made a Calvados Old Fashioned. Calvados, honey, bitters.

I think I'll make this again.

Mix an ounce or so with 12oz of your favorite imperial stout for one hell of a boozy good time.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Came home after a very poo poo day and threw together a very mild spin on a rum sour based on what I could grab out of my bar with a minimum of effort.

2oz gold rum (Havana Club Anejo Especial)
1oz lemon juice
1/2oz cane sugar syrup
One (generous) dash Angostura bitters

Shake over ice, strain into cocktail glass, garnish with a lemon twist if you can be bothered.

It's interesting, the gold rum and the bitters work really nicely together under the lemon. I'd like to play with this some more, any suggestions for variations on the theme?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That's basically an old Cuban, minus the mint and champagne float.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

angor posted:

Holy poo poo I'm making these this weekend.

Instead of making these we ended up at the pool with a cooler full of lager and a squeezy bottle full of Campari. Many a camparty were had. I think I'm still recovering.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That's basically an old Cuban, minus the mint and champagne float.

Seriously? It's a daiquiri bro. Champagne float makes a totally different class of drink. This is a daiquiri with lemon and bitters. This kind of thinking drives me nuts. It's basically a mojito, minus the mint and soda... what!?!?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
...you do realize that an old Cuban is a daiquiri variation, right? If the other poster is adding bitters and using that style of rum, Old Cuban is a tasty way to branch out.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
A made a cup of 1:1 palm sugar syrup. Tastes slightly funky. Mainly for pad thai suace, but I might try it in a drink. Any ideas? Something tropical-esque maybe.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Almost every cocktail is "Just a <drink X> with/without/substituting <ingredient A>"

A Margarita is just a Sidecar with tequila and lime instead of Cognac and lemon!
A Manhattan is just an Old Fashioned with vermouth instead of sugar!
A French 75 is just a hangover minus 12 hours!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Despite precedents like the Gibson and the Bacardi, I just can't see bothering to remember what a Bennet and a Fitzgerald are.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning posted:

A French 75 is just a hangover minus 12 hours!

Is a french 75 a common hangover drink? I have never gotten a hangover afterward.

It's one of my favorite drinks, although I never make them at home.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is a french 75 a common hangover drink? I have never gotten a hangover afterward.

It's one of my favorite drinks, although I never make them at home.

I think he means it gives you an instant hangover

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Well, it's a full measure of Gimlet, topped off with almost a full measure of champagne. Sparkling wine is hangover central, and there's almost no way to spend a night drinking French 75s without going overboard.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I had a really good French 75 last night. I'd never had one before, and now I can see that if I made them at home, I'd never stop.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kenning posted:

Well, it's a full measure of Gimlet, topped off with almost a full measure of champagne. Sparkling wine is hangover central, and there's almost no way to spend a night drinking French 75s without going overboard.

Night?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, due to some incredible luck, I have ended up with 4 days off, a reason to celebrate, and a shitton of Lemons.

I'm thinking, for this evening, Sidecar, Aviation, and whiskey sour to round out the evening. Proportions for them should be 2:1:1:, 3:1:1, and 3:2:1 right? (Base:Juice:third ingriedient)

Also, any good combos of Lemon Juice and Campari out there?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

bunnyofdoom posted:

The Jasmine immediately comes to mind.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning posted:

Ah, yeah. I've never had more than one or two, I tend to order a different drink for every round whenever I'm somewhere nice enough to even know what a French 75 is.

I've always thought of it as an extra-alcoholic Tom Collins, but like you were saying, a tom collins is a gimlet with lemon instead of lime and soda water added.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, due to some incredible luck, I have ended up with 4 days off, a reason to celebrate, and a shitton of Lemons.

I'm thinking, for this evening, Sidecar, Aviation, and whiskey sour to round out the evening. Proportions for them should be 2:1:1:, 3:1:1, and 3:2:1 right? (Base:Juice:third ingriedient)

This is gonna start a fight but
Sidecar
2 Cognac
.5 Cointreau
.75 Lemon
.25 Simple

Aviation
1.5oz gin
.75 lemon
.5 maraschino
.25 creme de Violette
.25 simple

Whiskey Sour
2 Whiskey
.75 Lemon
.75 Simple
(Egg White if you wanna)

As far as campari goes there aren't a lot of classic shaken campari drinks but mess around with a modified sour type drink like maybe 1.5 Whiskey, .5 Campari, .75 Lemon, .5 Simple. Start with something like that and play around. I hate campari so when I use it in shaken drinks its always weirdo tiki stuff like Jungle Birds or Bitter Mai Tais.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ah, yeah. I've never had more than one or two, I tend to order a different drink for every round whenever I'm somewhere nice enough to even know what a French 75 is.

I've always thought of it as an extra-alcoholic Tom Collins, but like you were saying, a tom collins is a gimlet with lemon instead of lime and soda water added.

The thing about X is just a Y with Z is that drinks still have stylistic families and their recipes follow certain patterns. An Old Cuban is a french 75 style drink. But a french 75 is in a different glass, and is in different proportions, a different length from a Tom Collins, I'd never think of them as similar even if they technically are. It's helpful to think this way because if you have those drink styles and their recipes in your pocket you can adapt on the fly. If someone in the bar asks for a french 95, and you don't know what it is, but they tell you it's a french 75 with bourbon, you can pull it off. If someone asks me for a Cucamonga Negroni, it was this delicious drink that they had at some bar on the other side of the planet and I ask what's in it and they say "I dunno, like... mezcal?" I can figure it out. If Sodomy asked me for his drink and said a daiquiri with gold rum lemon and bitters I'd have no problem at all. But if Sodomy asked me for his drink and said he wanted an old cuban without cava or mint I'd look at him like he had a screw loose.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
So this bartender was telling me that he has started to use the liquid from a can of chickpeas for the same purpose as egg white. Who knew that that would work. Apparently it's a thing.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Kenning posted:

Almost every cocktail is "Just a <drink X> with/without/substituting <ingredient A>

Amen

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I'm planning on making this cocktail for a Halloween party, and it calls for some allspice dram. I haven't got any, and instead of picking up a bottle, would some rum work as a decent substitute? I'm not particularly familiar with dram but it seems like just rum along with various spices.

Note: I'm kind new to cocktails so forgive my probable ignorance.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
You could make your own by infusing rum with spices! Not sure if only a week for the infusion is ideal but you're gonna at least get better results than you would using plain rum. Here's a recipe from Serious Eats that looks good to me, but hopefully someone else in the thread has actually done it before and can give you more advice. I'd get that poo poo started ASAP though, I know the recipe I linked recommends 2 weeks for the infusion

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just get a rich and peppery Guyana rum and drop some allspice berries in it. Let it infuse for like 5 days and then sweeten with a very dense sugar syrup. You can add glycerin if you want a fancy texture. You can also use J. Wray and Nephew for something with a bit of funk to it. Allspice dram is pretty easy to recreate.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
I've made the beach bum berry / kaiser penguin one before and it's good. I'm pretty sure I just used some Havana Club 3 for the rum.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If you've never had it, probably better to try one first before you attempt making your own?

St Elizabeth is cheap, or just buy a bottle of the Dale Degroff Pimento bitters to imbue the flavor without the volume of liquid.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bubz posted:

So this bartender was telling me that he has started to use the liquid from a can of chickpeas for the same purpose as egg white. Who knew that that would work. Apparently it's a thing.

Wouldn't that be too salty for some applications?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

cryme posted:

Wouldn't that be too salty for some applications?

A lot of brands sell 'No Salt Added' chickpeas (and other beans/legumes). That's probably what they're using.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Salt greatly improves most cocktails, anyhow.

What do you do with all the chickpeas? Make a lot of hummus?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Toss them with olive oil and seasoning, bake them at like 450 until they're crunchy, boom, bar snack.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4nAph0Zj7I

omg this might be old news but I'd never seen it. part at 0:19 where he wipes off his coke drip is incredible

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I learned everything I know about over pouring with a jigger from that guy

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
"Nobody really uses fresh limes anymore."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There are a lot of those videos out there. Who is that guy? I assumed it must be a parody, but barschool.com is a think and I haven't found any statements like, denouncing these videos or that they're suing anybody.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

goferchan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4nAph0Zj7I

omg this might be old news but I'd never seen it. part at 0:19 where he wipes off his coke drip is incredible

:captainpop:

That was literally the worst thing I have ever seen.

... and he's making YouTube videos about being terrible.

... and he thinks he's qualified enough to 'teach' at a 'bar school'

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
...he IS qualified to teach at a "bar school"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah if you have somehow been suckered into attending a "bar school" (unless you're in a state that actually requires it for bartenders, I THINK that's a thing in some places?? I'm pretty sure in, like, Georgia you have to take a class and get some kind of certification from the Sheriff's Office or whatever) please don't put it on your resume because it will probably do more harm than good. I would value a few months of barback experience or whatever way way way more than any kind of bartending classes with very few exceptions, when it comes to hiring. A couple of really reputable bartenders in my town have been discussing opening some kind of training school, and while I think it's a cool idea & I'm very confident they know their poo poo I'm curious if they can break through the stigma of Bartending College generally being a total loving scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lol I can't stop watching that video and I pick up on beautiful nuances every single time. Good to know that rum comes in different colors