Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The auto version, (I think it's the Serval or something? Some sort of cat thing anyway) is just great. Also you can use them to blast open the doors you usually have to lockpick.

And it's always fun when Ocelot tells you not to take on a gunship head-on and it's already falling out of the sky by the time he's finished talking.

Also I don't know if it got mentioned yet, but if you hit a guy in the head with a magazine in Reflex Mode, it makes a silly noise and knocks them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

McDragon posted:

The auto version, (I think it's the Serval or something? Some sort of cat thing anyway) is just great. Also you can use them to blast open the doors you usually have to lockpick.

And it's always fun when Ocelot tells you not to take on a gunship head-on and it's already falling out of the sky by the time he's finished talking.

Also I don't know if it got mentioned yet, but if you hit a guy in the head with a magazine in Reflex Mode, it makes a silly noise and knocks them out.

You can beat a boss like that too, you know the one I mean. I actually Knocked him out and extracted him without being spotted and didn't know it was a boss fight till a week later when a pal mentioned it. The Serval looks awesome as does the final version which has a silencer :getin:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

You can beat a boss like that too, you know the one I mean. I actually Knocked him out and extracted him without being spotted and didn't know it was a boss fight till a week later when a pal mentioned it. The Serval looks awesome as does the final version which has a silencer :getin:

With the weapon modding you can steal the higher capacity clip and silencer from the expensive, slower (stronger) final version and slap them onto the semi auto one.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sad lions posted:

With the weapon modding you can steal the higher capacity clip and silencer from the expensive, slower (stronger) final version and slap them onto the semi auto one.

I guess I will be going from

to

I guess

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

EmmyOk posted:

Which boss? I can only think of one boss fight versus a solitary male humanoid, and I don't think the man on Fire can be dealt with that way.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Samfucius posted:

Which boss? I can only think of one boss fight versus a solitary male humanoid, and I don't think the man on Fire can be dealt with that way.

What about lovely blonde kid

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Samfucius posted:

I assume he's talking about Eli who can also be rocket punched out in one go, too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Samfucius posted:

You can beat Eli without having to go into the boss battle with him. Maybe you also beat him like that and this is how you find out he was a boss fight!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I just beat Vanquish and being a Platinum game there aren't really many little things in it of any kind, but I like the main character taking every opportunity to smoke a cigarette. One time he's falling to his doom and just barely manages to catch on to a ledge, and he has a quick puff before pulling himself up. :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

I just beat Vanquish and being a Platinum game there aren't really many little things in it of any kind, but I like the main character taking every opportunity to smoke a cigarette. One time he's falling to his doom and just barely manages to catch on to a ledge, and he has a quick puff before pulling himself up. :3:

You only beat it once? Up the difficulty and go again :colbert:.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

2house2fly posted:

Pretty much every game that lets your character smoke cigarettes is good: Vanquish, Metal Gear Solid, The Saboteur, Deadly Premonition...

It's especially fun when it's actually a gameplay element, like the dude in Vanquish distracting enemies with his cigarettes or Agent York using cigarette breaks to skip chunks of time throughout the day.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The last episode to Tales from the Borderlands came out a few days ago so I played through the season over the past week. I enjoyed it a lot but a little thing they do during the end is really one of my favorite moments from a Telltale game. It's not huge but I'll spoiler it anyway.

Over the course of the game, you switch perspective between two characters. Sometimes during the story you'll play as Rhys, sometimes you'll play as Fiona. Them and a few friends are usually working together so it's not like the two characters don't know each other, though you'll also often find they get split up to achieve separate objectives.

For the last few minutes of the game, the two of them are walking together and having a conversation-- but for the first time in the game you actually get to select dialogue for both characters. There's no major choices to be made and the story has already ended. It's really just two friends talking about their journey and their plans for the future. There's just something about picking what to say for both halves of the conversation that I really, really liked.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

With steam games, I generally feel like I've gotten my money's worth if I enjoy 1 hour per $1 I spend on it.

By that metric, Mount & Blade has the best ratio. I think I spent $.99 when it was on sale, and I've got about 85 hours in it.

After a while, I really got into the market aspect of the game. Buying good for cheap and then going where I know they sell well. The game has some really surprising depth. Not saying it's the deepest game, but it feels like a cheep battle simulator when you first play, but there's really a lot to keep you busy, if you have any kind of imagination. And that's before doing any sort of multiplayer stuff.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

The game has some really surprising depth. Not saying it's the deepest game, but it feels like a cheep battle simulator when you first play, but there's really a lot to keep you busy, if you have any kind of imagination. And that's before doing any sort of multiplayer stuff.

Gods help you if you just missed the lord you're looking for. I can never find anybody.
But doing tournaments is great as long as you've trained in gladiatorial combat long enough.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Amorphous Blob posted:

In mass effect 3 NOT punching the reporter was more satisfying.

I have never not punched the reporter. What happens?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Comstar posted:

I also never punched the reporter (because I'm not a lunatic). In the third game she's shrilly harassing a member of the military who just stonewalls her. She spots you and storms over demanding answers while clearly on the verge of breaking down that she's completely failing to get a story. After playing the previous 2 games where I handled her professionally but still managed to make her look like a flake in the process, I got the option to tell her,"Hey don't give up your quest for the truth. You're a journalist and you need to keep holding us to account, never stop asking questions. We need people like you."

I thought it was a really nice moment :shobon:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comstar posted:

You give a speech that makes her look like a complete rear end.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I punched her in the first two but didn't in 3, Shepard looks like she's about to punch her put instead puts her hand on her shoulder and gives her the 'never give up' speech and she says something about Shepard being a violent rear end in a top hat most of the time, but thanks anyway.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much every game that lets your character smoke cigarettes is good: Vanquish, Metal Gear Solid, The Saboteur, Deadly Premonition...

It's especially fun when it's actually a gameplay element, like the dude in Vanquish distracting enemies with his cigarettes or Agent York using cigarette breaks to skip chunks of time throughout the day.

Does smoking do anything in The Saboteur? There was a button dedicated to it, but as far as I could tell it just meant you smoked nonchalantly and had no effect?

Being able to kiss a woman to avoid Nazi pursuit was a great addition to this game. It also makes gamefaqs very very funny

quote:

QUESTION FROM FIRE_NINJA98
How do i kiss Girls?
How do i kiss girls so i can get that one achievement involving kissing girls.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

That whole game is an unappreciated gem.

I loved how areas went from black and white and raining, to colour and sunny as you freed them from nazi control.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Walton Simons posted:

I punched her in the first two but didn't in 3, Shepard looks like she's about to punch her put instead puts her hand on her shoulder and gives her the 'never give up' speech and she says something about Shepard being a violent rear end in a top hat most of the time, but thanks anyway.

If you never punched her, you even get a bonus to her war asset value. In 3, at least, she's on the verge of an emotional breakdown due to what's happening on Earth.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Plaidweave in Dragon Age: Inquisition

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Does smoking do anything in The Saboteur? There was a button dedicated to it, but as far as I could tell it just meant you smoked nonchalantly and had no effect?

It's for after you set an explosive.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Byzantine posted:

It's for after you set an explosive.

Rather like in real life.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Smoking doesn't serve a gameplay purpose in The Saboteur but it does give a narrative reason for why you have that huge-rear end lighter handy, the clink of him flicking his lighter and the hiss of the fuse is almost as satisfying as the explosions themselves.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The gameplay purpose is that it makes you cooler.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

omg chael crash posted:

Plaidweave in Dragon Age: Inquisition

Plaidweave is very useful for shaming party members who've been bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

2house2fly posted:

The gameplay purpose is that it makes you cooler.

Just like that bit in Borderlands 2 where one of the NPCs tells you to be a badass by walking away from an explosion without looking at it and the game detects whether you did it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

One of my favorite thing in a game that gets mostly - and correctly - crapped on is the music in Oblivion. Especially this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBdY7KdpwY

I love Oblivion's music.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

One of my favorite thing in a game that gets mostly - and correctly - crapped on is the music in Oblivion. Especially this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBdY7KdpwY

I love Oblivion's music.

It seriously has one of the best soundtracks in video game history, in my opinion. While I think Morrowind's title theme is the best video game music as a piece of music on its own terms, I think the Oblivion theme is the best video game theme, if that makes any sense, it gets me pumped to go on a cool adventure like no other game music I can think of.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oblivions music has an ethereal quality that's very soothing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Agents are GO! posted:

I love Oblivion's music.

Jeremy Soule is the composer for a lot of cool soundtracks, and you can usually recognize his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysisxLSfsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46yzCB82kA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKGsmjbq2w

Icewind Dale's soundtrack deserves to be here in its entirety, and Inon Zur who composed the soundtracks of Fallout 3 and New Vegas (and 4 which obviously isn't out yet) amongst other things did an amazing job with the sequel as well. The IWD soundtracks are amongst my favorites in gaming, and I tend to pay a lot of attention to the music in the things I play.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Oct 28, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The best part of the Fallout: New Vegas intro is the music that plays after the fade to black.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Agents are GO! posted:

Wow, I managed to successfully guess which one you actually linked before clicking it. That track is great, and was one of the few I kept when switching out most of the soundtrack in my later playthroughs.

Which serves as its own 'little thing'. I think Oblivion is better than Skyrim for a lot of reasons entirely unrelated to modding, but one of the best modding-related things it did was to have the game pull its musical files from a plain old folder, full of plain old MP3s. It is stupidly easy to extract the soundtrack or plug your own music in, which is great for when your amount of mods reaches the point where Earthbound or Chrono Trigger's music becomes more fitting for what you're playing than slow, atmospheric music.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

While I think Morrowind's title theme is the best video game music as a piece of music on its own terms,

Nah son.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nope.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Wrong again, here's one with evidence.

e: admittedly, yours is really impressive

Red Minjo has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Oct 29, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"Huh, well this seems pretty avera- HOLY FLYING gently caress!"

How did they even do that on an NES?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Kavak posted:

"Huh, well this seems pretty avera- HOLY FLYING gently caress!"

How did they even do that on an NES?

The answer is: Tim Follin is a goddamn wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Inco posted:

The answer is: Tim Follin is a goddamn wizard.

that's him on the cover