Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Like when you're a few car lengths behind and suddenly the car in front of you swerves to avoid an object/debris on the road that you don't know about? Have you ever driven on an interstate before because it sounds like you haven't.

I have a 30 mile commute, of which about a half mile is not urban or suburban interstate. Turns out that much interstate driving teaches you how to be aware of what's happening beyond the bumper of the vehicle immediately in front of you, as well as how to adjust your following distance and positioning within traffic based on how well you can or cannot see what's happening ahead.

I eagerly look forward to the day when every car on the road has that degree of - or really, even better - awareness. The taste of unbelievably stupid poo poo human drivers do that that commute gives me on a daily basis is a big driver in my desire to get humans out from behind the wheel as soon as possible.

Anyway,

Edit: I realize that sounded super :smug:. I'm not trying to claim I'm some god of driving or anything, just that it's really unusual for there to be poo poo on the road with absolutely no way to tell until the vehicle right in front of you reacts. There's always stuff happening further ahead that can clue you in to it, and if not it means that traffic is light enough that you can actually keep a decent following distance.

Edit 2: I also wasn't saying in that first post that no car will ever have to swerve ever, just that "just brake" as an immediate reaction is a much more commonly viable thing than it would seem at first.

Theris has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

looks very realistic

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I love to sing-a
About the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The First Goon.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:allears: This is such a perfect image to illustrate why adblocking is necessary.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Collateral Damage posted:

:allears: This is such a perfect image to illustrate why adblocking is necessary.

I'm still not quite sure I understand, the image says that adblocking is bad?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bogan Krkic posted:

And it's almost completely covered by the ads.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Boy, 3, drives truck after mother falls out of vehicle; mom charged with DUI

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
W.Va. school placed on lockdown after man demands to sing Bieber songs on intercom

http://wtov9.com/news/local/wva-school-placed-on-lockdown-after-man-walks-in-demands-to-sing-bieber-songs-on-interc

The man was handcuffed, for the safety of others, and was taken to a local hospital.

You don't say.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

"Sesame Street comes on at 9 and I am NOT going to miss it again, Linda"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's a screenshot of an article about why adblocking is bad.

With most of the screen covered in ads.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Old GBS never really went away.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Besesoth posted:

I love to sing-a
About the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a

That was an owl that sang that you fool.

To be fair, it is pretty spectacular. :tutbutt:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Tokyo Sexwale confirms candidacy and says he plans to repair ‘undermined’ Fifa

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Maybe not the Sexwale we want but the Sexwale we need.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Why only a sexwale? Why not a sexmanatee? Or a sexgiraffe?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Why only a sexwale? Why not a sexmanatee? Or a sexgiraffe?

Get that imgur poo poo outta here.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here's a bunch more from https://twitter.com/HorribleSanity

http://www.thomas-morris.uk/glass-half-empty/

quote:

"While recently on a visit to Canton, I derived the history of the following case from the notes and verbal explanations of the Rev. Peter Parker, M. D., chief of the Ophthalmic Hospital, &c., under whose notice they fell. The case affords us a glance at the debauchery practiced by a portion of the Chinese population about Canton.

In the evening of the 1st of March, 1848, a young man, very respectable in appearance, solicited Dr. Parker’s aid for his father, whom he had brought to the hospital. With many expressions, indicative of his sense of shame and mortification, he related that Loo, his father, then sixty years of age, had spent the preceding night in one of the ‘flower-boats,’ or floating brothels, on the river, with a prostitute. Under the insane excitement or intoxication produced by the combined influence of drinking spirituous liquors and smoking opium, the lecherous sufferer, in mischievous frolic, forced a glass goblet—size: diameter of brim, 2 5/8 inches; height, 3 1/2 inches; diameter of base, 1 7/8 inches—into the vagina of the companion of his sports.

In the course of the night Loo fell into a state of unconsciousness, when the woman sought her revenge. She carefully insinuated the base of the goblet within his anus, and then placing the end of her opium-pipe—a cylinder about an inch in diameter, and a foot and a half in length—at the bottom of the goblet on the inside, suddenly pushed it into the rectum, entirely above the sphincter. Twenty-four hours had elapsed since its introduction. An angle of about a half inch of the rolled lip of the glass had been broken out by efforts made by friends to remove it.

On examination, the glass was found firmly fixed in its position; it was very difficult to pass the extremity of the finger beyond its lip, betwixt its outside and the rectum. In Dr. Parker’s opinion, it was impossible to extract it entire: and, therefore, though anticipating difficulty and danger in the operation, he determined to break it down. By means of forceps, such as are used by obstetricians in breaking up the foetal cranium, commencing on the side nearest the pubis, he broke up the goblet, and extracted it piece by piece, carefully guarding the parts by folds of cotton cloth as he proceeded, and removing the small sharp fragments which fell with a teaspoon.

After the bowl, or bell portion was removed, the most difficult part of the operation remained to be performed, for the hemorrhage was free, and the base of the goblet, with the sharp points of the sessile stem, resulting from the fracture, was high up in the rectum, and firmly embraced in a transverse position. Assisted by the bearing down of the patient, the edge of the base was reached by the point of a finger, and with difficulty turned edgewise, guarding against fractured points by pledgets [cushions of cloth]; then, by pressing the smooth side, or bottom of the glass, against the rectum, it was at last extracted. Remaining fragments were sought for, and the intestine thoroughly washed out. To arrest the hemorrhage, which was considerable, strong solutions of sulphate of copper and of alum were injected, and temporarily confined in the rectum, by pressing a sponge against the anus. For a time the bleeding ceased; but during the night several ounces of coagulated blood were evacuated; afterwards, there was no more hemorrhage.

The operation occupied an hour and a half. An opiate was administered, and the patient placed in bed. The general treatment consisted in rest, laxatives, and light diet; the rectum was occasionally injected with tepid water, and solutions of nitrate of silver. On the fourteenth day the case was discharged cured.

A young man, native of Canton, applied to Dr. Parker for relief. He had been married about eight months. On the nuptial night, he met with insurmountable difficulty in his attempt to establish sexual intercourse with his bride, and in an effort, on that occasion, sustained a severe, and most probably, irreparable injury, which caused great pain.

Since that night, erection of the penis is limited to about a half an inch of its root, the extremity of the organ, with its glans, hanging flaccid. On examination, a well-defined, transverse space, through the corpora cavernosa, about a half inch from the pubis, the site of fracture, was found to separate the penis into two parts.

No attempt was made to remedy this serious misfortune.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mods, namechange to "a chorus of screams and ejaculations"

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Hooded Reptile posted:

W.Va. school placed on lockdown after man demands to sing Bieber songs on intercom

http://wtov9.com/news/local/wva-school-placed-on-lockdown-after-man-walks-in-demands-to-sing-bieber-songs-on-interc

The man was handcuffed, for the safety of others, and was taken to a local hospital.

You don't say.

Hate to quote myself but, :what:

Man Arrested Twice for Singing Justin Bieber Songs at Two Schools

A man was arrested twice Tuesday trying to sing Justin Bieber songs at two different schools in Dunbar, police say.

Officers say Dloantie Lewis walked into Dunbar Middle School -- demanding to sing over the intercom.

Police took Lewis to Thomas Memorial Hospital and cited him for having marijuana.

A few hours later, police say Thomas showed up at Kiddie College, located at a church in South Charleston, and made a scene there.

Lewis was arrested a second time and taken to jail.

The incidents caused temporary lockdowns at both places.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Man-Arrested-Twice-for-Singing-Justin-Bieber-Songs-at-Two-Schools-337763771.html

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Things you'd really like to know more about.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

One of Disney's less successful screenplays

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=35&dat=18970823&id=rmQxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GTsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5972,4221256&hl=en

Here's the full thing.

Bonus for Halloween

http://www.thomas-morris.uk/the-winged-ones-insects-in-the-stomach/

quote:

The wretched subject of this Paper is Mary Riordan, aged twenty-eight, who, though weakened by long suffering, still retains the appearance of having been originally robust. She has a high degree of nervous sensibility, and is of a melancholic temperament, and religious frame of mind. Her melancholy may be traced, in the first instance, to the death of her mother, after which, during severe months, she was in the habit of daily visiting her grave. On one of these occasions, overcome by the poignancy of her feelings and fatigue, she was found the following morning lying over the grave in a state of insensibility, having spent there the entire of a rainy winter’s night. She has been for the last six years labouring, at intervals, under vomiting of blood, as also during nearly the same period under occasional convulsions.

During the intervals of the convulsive affections she complained of a variety of symptoms, in particular of head-ache, vertigo, noise in the ears, occasional pain and deafness of the right ear, and great perversion of the senses of sight, taste, and smell. About a month or two before I saw her she laboured under amaurosis, which lasted a fortnight. The loss of sight was complete, and she experienced great pain in attempting to close her eyelids. This affection appeared to have been removed by an ichorous discharge from the ears, which came on during the use of the warm bath, and which was also attended with a mitigation of a number of curious optical illusions, to which she had long been subject.

She had been in the daily habit of eating large lumps of chalk, having found it to mitigate the burning sensation in her stomach. Her father and brother, who were coopers, and used large quantities of this substance in their trade, were accustomed, in compliance with her importunities, to provide a regular supply of it each evening. At last, however, they desisted, having become alarmed upon consideration of the enormous quantity which she had consumed. In this exigency, she regularly expended whatever trifle of money she could get in purchasing chalk privately, and those parts of it which were harder than others she contrived to soften by steeping in milk.

On the night immediately preceding the day of the discharge, she had gone to a wake, and remained there a considerable part of the night. The scene before her recalled forcibly the circumstances of her mother’s death, and she at length fancied that in the corpse which lay before her she saw her mother. She was seized at the instant with a violent convulsive paroxysm, during which blood gushed simultaneously out of her mouth, nose, and ears. A quantity of raw spirits, by a facility unfortunately but too characteristic of the lower orders in this place, was in vain poured down her throat in order to recover her.

I have myself since seen her repeatedly vomit similar larvae, in consequence of emetics… The accompanying matter, consisting principally of blood, mixed with a green fluid, literally teemed, as I have been informed, with similar larvae.

On the eighteenth of April, in the morning succeeding the day on which the event happened, I made the following note. “Discharged on yesterday from the stomach, with great difficulty, a green thing as long and as thick as one of her fingers, which flew. It had wings, a great many feet, and a turned up tail. It was green.” She saw it distinctly leap, and clap its wings, immediately after having been thrown up. She took it into her hand, and put it into a wine glass, which it almost filled, with paper stuffed over it, in order to confine it. It immediately forced its way, however, out of the glass, and flew, first on a table, and then on the floor. She was now seized with a convulsive paroxysm: upon recovery, she and her aunt, who had just come into the room, searched for it in vain.

During my absence Dr. Herrick reports, that she used almost every second or third day to vomit, in consequence of emetics, a number of larvae, similar to those of the beetle in some instances, (as she and her family say,) to the amount of upwards of thirty at a time, accompanied with large quantities of blood. The term by which she distinguished the pupae was, the “winged ones,” a term, however, it afterwards appeared, under which she included both pupae and perfect insects; the elytta, or wing-cases, which she, naturally enough, supposed to be wings, having given rise to the common appellation.

On the 20th of October were voided, per anum, under the operation of castor-oil, a great number of minute larvae, presenting an appearance, from their great number and minuteness, as if hay-seed had been sprinkled on the stools. No specimen, however, was preserved. December 10th another perfect insect was voided by stool, similar to the former, but smaller: it was alive, was white, had horns, wings, feet, and tail. Unfortunately it was destroyed by her father, having, in a fit of peevishness, thrown it into the fire.

A mode somewhat novel, but which proved effectual in instantaneously cutting short the convulsions, was accidentally discovered, and was afterwards resorted to in several instances with the same success.

In the necessary entomological details of the present case, I have had the advantage of the kind assistance of Dr. J. V. Thomson, late surgeon to the 37th Regiment, and F. L. S., who has for some time past been resident in the neighbourhood of this city.

Dr. Thompson is of opinion, that all the “long ones” which he examined, with the exception of seven, belong to the species of beetle called blaps mortisaga; and that the seven belong to the species of beetle called tenebrio molitor, or the meal-worm. Of the larvae of the beetle, I am sure I considerably underrate when I say that, independently of above a hundred evacuated per anum, not less than seven hundred have been thrown up from the stomach at different times since the commencement of my attendance.

In an anxiety to elicit every circumstance which might tend, in the slightest degree, to develop the mode of introduction of the insects, I once asked her, whether, independently of the chalk, she had ever been in the habit of eating clay. Her answer to this question unfolds a tale which I regret to have to record, as a degrading instance of superstition. When she was about fifteen years of age, it appears that two much-respected and popular clergymen of her persuasion having died, she was told by some old women, that if she would drink daily, during a certain period of time, a portion of water imbued with clay, taken from the graves of these clergymen, she would be secured for ever against both disease and sin. She accordingly walked to Kinsale, a distance of twelve miles, where one of the clergymen was interred, and succeeded in bringing away an apron and pocket-handkerchief full of clay from his grave. To this she added, upon her return, a handkerchief and some mugs full of clay, obtained from the grave of the other clergyman, who was buried in this city. Her practice was, to infuse water from time to time, according to the exigency, in a vessel containing a proportion of clay so collected, the mixture having been always allowed to rest until the grosser particles of clay fell to the bottom.

The blaps mortisaga, it is well known, inhabits such situations as church-yards. This occurrence, however, happened about twelve years prior to the first discharge of insects; and it seems difficult to reconcile with analogy the supposition of their having so long remained in the system… It may appear more probable to some, that the insects were taken in by the mouth during the night which she passed in the church-yard about eight years ago; the objection, however, of the great interval between their introduction and discharge still recurs, though in a less degree.

Thus the interesting fact seems to be established, that the different successive metamorphoses of insects may take place in the human stomach during life. The present is, as far as my inquiries have extended, the first well-authenticated case in which the larvae, pupae, and imago of the same insect have been discharged from the same individual. A further, and a striking feature of the case, consists in the extraordinary number of larvae of different descriptions, evacuated as well by the stomach, as per anum; a number, I believe, unexampled, and which still continues to increase.

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Oct 29, 2015

The News at 5
Dec 25, 2009

I'm Chance Everyman.

Medical assistance seems to be putting it mildly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The babies or the crocodile?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Nckdictator posted:

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

...named him after a man of the cloth. Called him Amos Moses.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'll take the mask

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I'm sorry but this drain is clogged. Clogged with lupus.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

:golfclap:

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Anyone else see this picture and think it is a relative of Gregory House?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

drgnwr1 posted:

Anyone else see this picture and think it is a relative of Gregory House?

I don't see the resemblance, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I see it