Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Will Prepar3D let me slew the Wright Flyer up to 1 mile and let me tumble it to the ground?

That sounds like fun and the Prepar3D license explicity states NO FUN ALLOWED :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

EvilJoven posted:

That sounds like fun and the Prepar3D license explicity states NO FUN ALLOWED :colbert:

But if you do it for educational purposes, say as an experiment in aerodynamics, and make sure you keep a straight face, then yes, you could do that.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Funny story, someone went into the licensing terms and it turns out LM literally doesn't care what you do with it, the Academic license is actually meant for people currently in school or college. It's like the academic version of Office, basically. So being in college means I give no fucks :v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

Funny story, someone went into the licensing terms and it turns out LM literally doesn't care what you do with it, the Academic license is actually meant for people currently in school or college. It's like the academic version of Office, basically. So being in college means I give no fucks :v:

Actually they have the education/science licence ms still has the fun licence therefore you can't have fun

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I spent all night playing with the A2A Cub. I bought it for FSX because its impossible to not have fun with it. Everyone should buy this Cub, it owns.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

I spent all night playing with the A2A Cub. I bought it for FSX because its impossible to not have fun with it. Everyone should buy this Cub, it owns.

I was just looking at that add-on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just be warned, it has some weird rear end alcohol fueled FMC that is only marginally functional at the best of times.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wish they would revisit the Cub and bring it up to the same level of detail as the Cherokee 180 so I could be a super sperg about a tail dragger.

For $20 I would really recommend it even if you're barely ever going to fly it. Especially if the one on Steam comes with the Accusim plugin.

e: I would actually suggest getting it through Steam even if it doesn't have the plugin. Limited activations are a thing if you buy it from A2A's store.

vvv - I was talking about the Cub. The Carenado Cherokee hasn't aged well.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 19, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't quite tell if you're plugging the Cherokee you fly or the Piper...

If it's the Piper, yes the one on Steam comes with Accu-Sim. If you're talking about the Cherokee, the one available as DLC isn't from A2A, it's a Carenado.

Also, if anyone here wants to poo poo up VATSIM with the Cub, you'll have to edit your default flight. Your radio won't register as properly on and working unless you set GeneratorSwitch=True and BatterySwitch=True. It'll look like it's on but you won't be able to transmit or receive via vPilot.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 19, 2015

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Which platform has the best 152? Just starting my PPL so it'd be good to have a decently simulated one to practice on

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'll likely get into Prepar3D next year after I get my new computer. Right now Flight Simulator X runs perfectly on it, which is fine for now.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Gibfender posted:

Which platform has the best 152? Just starting my PPL so it'd be good to have a decently simulated one to practice on

Sims really aren't that great for primary training.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A 152 flies itself. Get your license first then use the sim to practice instrument navigation and dead reckoning. You'll come out miles ahead of other private pilots for digging into the IFR stuff.

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm considering the accusim 172 for the purposes of nav training.
Now I need to settle on a platform to use that won't cost me a fortune to get local scenery and GA airports.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There's no such thing as flightsimming that won't cost you a fortune.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I want to be mad that there's no upgrade option for P3D. But then I remembered I have purchased pretty much every edition of MSFS since 5.1.

Edit: I even upgraded to Windows 95 to run FS95(or 98?)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If only developers weren't such pricks and would just release their addons for both, maybe I'd consider getting V3. Im not spending an extra 29 bucks per addon for no good reason.

I regret rage buying 2.5 to begin with.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

EvilJoven posted:

If only developers weren't such pricks and would just release their addons for both, maybe I'd consider getting V3. Im not spending an extra 29 bucks per addon for no good reason.

I regret rage buying 2.5 to begin with.

Same. All my favorite planes are PMDG poo poo, and I'm not re-buying them for 2.5

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The Ferret King posted:

A 152 flies itself. Get your license first then use the sim to practice instrument navigation and dead reckoning.

And comms, oh god please practice comms.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know quite of you have ArmA and I'm hosting a thing :siren:Friday Evening starting at7 PM CDT:siren: I'll try to firm up the time tomorrow. As always, no mods required.

EDIT: it's a new Co-op CTI thing that's a lot more streamlined, has revive, can do on the fly squad management, a decent spawn/HALO system and is overall a good mission. There's even friendly AI squad control with Zeus but in a not cheesy way. I had a handful of people playing it tonight and it ran well.

EDIT2: It runs even better when you throw it on a dedicated server backed by another PC with a headless client processing AI.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 23, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Um.

I think gog.com just undermined the Falcon 4.0 CD market.

http://www.gog.com/game/falcon_collection

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I'll add that to the OP when I get home tonight.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

all the falcons. man flight simming has come a long way

I hope more classic flight sims come to gog, the 90s was pretty awesome for cool immersive flight sims.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Megadyptes posted:

I hope more classic flight sims come to gog, the 90s was pretty awesome for cool immersive flight sims.

The font and general appearance remind me a lot of JetFighter II.

Good times as a kid playing that on my old CH FlightStick while marveling at the "realistic" 3D graphics (which were pretty drat awesome for 1990).

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Those early blocky textureless polygon 3d engines of the early 90s were great and hold up better than the blurry textured mess engines that followed just after. I remember playing F-14 Fleet Defender a lot as a kid but the low res textures put me off when I tried playing it recently, however I can still put an hour or two into Red Baron 1 now and then without any problems.

That gog Falcon collection is a bit weird, Falcon 4.0 doesn't appear in the Galaxy client as a seperate title like the other three Falcon games do, you have to download it as an 'extra' from the Falcon Gold Game Extras option :shrug:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Megadyptes posted:

And here I am all butthurt I can't find satellite imaging for Colorado in X-Plane, lol.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Flew this on the ol' TRS 80:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmkYVSbodw4

and thought that was incredible 3D. Christ, I'm old.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Megadyptes posted:

Those early blocky textureless polygon 3d engines of the early 90s were great and hold up better than the blurry textured mess engines that followed just after. I remember playing F-14 Fleet Defender a lot as a kid but the low res textures put me off when I tried playing it recently, however I can still put an hour or two into Red Baron 1 now and then without any problems.

That gog Falcon collection is a bit weird, Falcon 4.0 doesn't appear in the Galaxy client as a seperate title like the other three Falcon games do, you have to download it as an 'extra' from the Falcon Gold Game Extras option :shrug:

Falcon 4.0 is an extra because it is provided "as is" apparently.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Can one of you nerds walk me through setting up my X55 HOTAS with IL2: 1946?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/allhoogeverything/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What is the benefit of the Falcon 4.0 over BMS? BMS is pretty much more simmier sim in every way.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

there is none gameplay wise, it's just a legal and convenient way to get your hands on the .exe BMS needs for installation.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
'I must legally acquire the executable for a game that has been out of print for over a decade or I can't legally use this mod that the makers were forced to release as a free product because the original game's rights holders attacked them with lawyers' - a flight sim autist

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

A high percentage of pro flight simmers must be on the spectrum :spergin:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

In other flight sim news, Orbx have released Meigs Field for FSX, the classic airport that was the default start of almost every version of Flight Sim until FS 2004 until it was torn up by the mayor of Chicago.

it's also exclusive to the Steam Edition until sometime next year, like what they did with their Friday Harbour addon a few weeks back. I guess Dovetail are throwing money at devs to try and get steam exclusivity for a while.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Megadyptes posted:

A high percentage of pro flight simmers must be on the spectrum :spergin:

It ain't trains, but it's close.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

tubeliners are the trains of the sky

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bought ActiveSky Next (on sale right now from SimMarket for a few bux more if you might want it for P3D as well as FSX) as well as the A2A Accu-Feel addon.

Then I immediately loaded up at a place what was experiencing severe turbulence.

:stare::fh:

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 28, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah I bought it before it got offered on Steam. Well worth the money, blows the stock FSX weather out of the water.

Also, you get a discount on it if you are upgrading from ASE or AS2012 (Mine was an upgrade)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It is possible to really fancy up FSX/P3D if you have the cash or keep an eye out for sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Forums Terrorist posted:

It is possible to really fancy up FSX/P3D if you have the cash or keep an eye out for sales.

I have Activesky, FSUIPC, WideFS, a bunch of add-on scenery and aircraft plus peripheral hardware. I don't even want to know what I've spent on FSX/P3D over the years. It's gotta be close to a grand at this point.