Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm still only level 2 and haven't been using Quen much, but it seems to be way more important to the combat than I was giving it credit for. Guess I'll keep hammering away at the game and level some things up before trying the Griffin again, I just thought it might have been something like how the highest difficulty level Mass Effect 2 essentially turned enemies into near-invincible bullet sponges. If I'm only dying because I suck at the game at this point, that's fine.

You are underleveled for the fight, and that is basically what is happening, and playing on DM exacerbates this. basically the way the level scaling works is because you are below the monsters the level, you are taking a huuuuge hit to your dmg output and the griffin is getting a bonus to damaging you. Also on early DM, quen is a necessity unless you are extremely good at the combat

so in short, yo uare not sucking, jsut go do some of the sidequests and come back, and it'll go fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think the griffin is high enough level to trigger the flat bonus to damage and damage resistance significantly higher level enemies get. I rarely ever use quen but maybe I'm extremely good at the combat? Death March griffin is one of the places I used it though, yeah.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How are people making money? I've seen selling a lot of stuff but swords and rings and crap like that net >10 gold per. Though I have nearly a thousand combined of the two other currancies, I can't exchange them anywhere because Novigrad is blocked off for the time being.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

How are people making money? I've seen selling a lot of stuff but swords and rings and crap like that net >10 gold per. Though I have nearly a thousand combined of the two other currancies, I can't exchange them anywhere because Novigrad is blocked off for the time being.

How is Novigrad blocked off? If you're talking about the need for a transit pass to cross the bridges, ignore that, Geralt can swim the Pontar.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

loot and sell everything. Make a set of witcher armor and just sell everything else you come across

I never had any money problems i think i finished NG with like 40k+

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm still only level 2 and haven't been using Quen much, but it seems to be way more important to the combat than I was giving it credit for. Guess I'll keep hammering away at the game and level some things up before trying the Griffin again, I just thought it might have been something like how the highest difficulty level Mass Effect 2 essentially turned enemies into near-invincible bullet sponges. If I'm only dying because I suck at the game at this point, that's fine.

As mentioned you're a bit underleveled. It's probably worth it to save the Griffin until you've mostly cleared out White Orchard, probably level 4, and ready to head on to the next zone.

In general with combat you want to stay really mobile, usually get in a couple hits and dodge or roll away. Use Quen as a buffer, it will usually only absorb one hit. Yrden is pretty useful against fliers like Griffins and I strongly recommend buying the second-tier Yrden talent (alternate Yrden mode) that lets you drop a lightning turret. It'll zap opponents and briefly stagger them, doing decent damage but more importantly interrupting the poo poo out of them. Makes groups much more manageable and is particularly useful against fliers.

Read entries in your Bestiary, they'll give you pretty specific info on enemy weaknesses and how to prepare. Don't be afraid to use alchemy, you don't have to re-craft alchemy items they replenish to full at the cost of one unit of hard alcohol when you meditate. Play dirty, don't hold back as there's no reason not to use bombs potions and oils all the time in hard fights.

Don't skip dialogue. Ciri sheds an interdimensional tear every time someone skips dialogue or doesn't exhaust all possible conversation options.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I felt bad telling Yen to gently caress off.
:j: "I still love you just the same"
:v: "sorry old lady, I don't love you anymore"
:j: "what? NO"

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This is yet another reason why I prefer Yen to Triss. Because you never have to let Triss down like this; you just let her sail off and do her own thing.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That was a very powerful scene for me, one of the best in the game, but then there was no follow up. After they get back Yen just goes "Let's not talk about it." And they don't.

There are no real consequences when it comes to romance. If I get a random save file from someone at the end of the game and ask "Who did Geralt end up with?" the answer seems to be "Eh, doesn't really matter except for a slide you'll see at the end."

I was expecting some Yen or Triss specific questline that you can play only if you choose to be with one and not the other. But honestly it doesn't even have to be some kind of complex branching story that requires hours of cutscenes and voice acting. It can be just something as shallow and basic as an extra item or buff that you can otherwise miss if you choose the other person. HoS actually does exactly this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Telling her the magic is gone was great because it was simultaneously an "I don't love you anymore" statement at the same time as being a sick burn on her abilities as a sorceress. Unfortunately there is no "so can we go find a djinn to bind me to Roche or" option after that.

edit: I did like the closing camera angle just afterward that changes based on your response, with Geralt sitting either apart from her or close together. That was a pretty well-framed shot.

And I honestly prefer that there are no "real" consequences to the romance side except in terms of character development. I would find it pretty annoying if the already-sort-of-shoehorned-in romance drama was also tied to stuff I could miss if it played out one way or the other.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 28, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I finished the expansion. I liked it a lot. I think the story and character design are as always top notch. New weapons, outfits and cosmetic items own and it would have been great to use them in the main quest later on. The romance with Shani is the best one in the game imo.

A few points of criticizm:

The caretaker fight and the first Olgiert fight suck major balls. I don't mean that they are difficult either - once you figure out their attack patterns it's just a question of patience and that's exactly the problem. They are both hit sponges and end up being boring as hell. Either make their health half of what they have or make them both hit harder and receive more damage to make the fights more deadly but ultimately shorter. The fight against Iris and shadow Olgierts were way better because they didn't slog.

The enchantments could really be more powerful. Some of them would have been cool if signs hadn't been nerfed but they had been so those Igni buffs are laughable during endgame.

Siding with O'Dimm at the end should also be more meaningful. I mean you basically lose a whole gameplay sequence doing that and receive...rewards for it? Awesome rewards but gently caress them if you're just cutting your adventure short.

At the same time I have no idea what the timer is supposed to add during the other ending. It's annoying and I'm sure many people will die because of it while trying to explore only to reload the previous save and just run straight to the 'right' place this time. So it does nothing, encourages skipping content and avoiding enemies.

Anyway that's it. I think the expansion must be even more amazing when it's played during the normal first playthrough.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm at kaer morhan, where is Meitz? Where is Triss? :(

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I'm at kaer morhan, where is Meitz? Where is Triss? :(

They show up when the main quest progresses far enough

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Palpek posted:

I finished the expansion. I liked it a lot. I think the story and character design are as always top notch. New weapons, outfits and cosmetic items own and it would have been great to use them in the main quest later on. The romance with Shani is the best one in the game imo.

The caretaker fight and the first Olgiert fight suck major balls. I don't mean that they are difficult either - once you figure out their attack patterns it's just a question of patience and that's exactly the problem. They are both hit sponges and end up being boring as hell. Either make their health half of what they have or make them both hit harder and receive more damage to make the fights more deadly but ultimately shorter. The fight against Iris and shadow Olgierts were way better because they didn't slog.

The enchantments could really be more powerful. Some of them would have been cool if signs hadn't been nerfed but they had been so those Igni buffs are laughable during endgame.

Siding with O'Dimm at the end should also be more meaningful. I mean you basically lose a whole gameplay sequence doing that and receive...rewards for it? Awesome rewards but gently caress them if you're just cutting your adventure short.

At the same time I have no idea what the timer is supposed to add during the other ending. It's annoying and I'm sure many people will die because of it while trying to explore only to reload the previous save and just run straight to the 'right' place this time. So it does nothing, encourages skipping content and avoiding enemies.

Anyway that's it. I think the expansion must be even more amazing when it's played during the normal first playthrough.

yeah as a stand alone it was too short and ends too abruptly

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

UnfurledSails posted:

That was a very powerful scene for me, one of the best in the game, but then there was no follow up. After they get back Yen just goes "Let's not talk about it." And they don't.

Why would Yennefer want to talk about one of the biggest disappointments of her life? Especially while she has much more important stuff going on? That's how Yennefer deals with stuff. The consequences are all in dialogue and minor character interactions and there's nothing wrong with that.

CJacobs posted:

edit: I did like the closing camera angle just afterward that changes based on your response, with Geralt sitting either apart from her or close together. That was a pretty well-framed shot.

"Hey I just broke your heart out of left field but let's sit together staring awkwardly into space even though you just said you want to leave."

Geralt is an rear end in a top hat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack of Hearts posted:

How is Novigrad blocked off? If you're talking about the need for a transit pass to cross the bridges, ignore that, Geralt can swim the Pontar.

Yea, the passes I need to cross the bridges. I figured the game was blocking it off for story reasons and it wouldn't just let me swim across the river.

poopzilla posted:

loot and sell everything. Make a set of witcher armor and just sell everything else you come across

I never had any money problems i think i finished NG with like 40k+

Pretty much what I've been doing. Well, I haven't found any armor, but weapons all go to the venders.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Novigrad will be a bit high level for you but not impossible, especially if you just run to the bank to get your currency change. Honestly the level system is the worst part of this game. The game is actually written like they assume you could do the hubs in any order, and NPCs will react to things differently depending on said order, but in practice that's very impractical.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
It's kind of interesting because it's really the only time in the game where Yennefer's arrogance/stubbornness has negative consequences for her.

It would be hard to do a follow-up justice without dramatically changing all the Geralt-Yen interactions after it though.

I noticed something later in the game in a conversation with Yen about Frangilla, I think it was. You can say that she's one of Emhyr's prisons and mention that he didn't tell Yen. She says "I'm going to have to have a long conversation with the emperor once this is over" which is weird to me. Emhyr is really the only person she's afraid of and she'd know there's literally nothing she could do to him. And "after" means Emhyr wouldn't need her anymore and the dude is not the biggest fan of Yen or Geralt.

Not really a big deal, but seemed kind of out-of-place.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

It's kind of interesting because it's really the only time in the game where Yennefer's arrogance/stubbornness has negative consequences for her.
How about the ritual exile from Skellige and constantly getting poo poo from everyone? And is it really arrogance when you genuinely do know better ? She's really blunt and smart assed more than arrogant, I'd say.

Spite posted:

spoilers
Yennefer has leverage on Emhyr through Ciri.

Edit: But yeah I agree a lot of the political stuff in the last act of the game feels really rushed and poorly explained compared to everything else

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 28, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I've been reading Narrenturm for a while now which is the first book of Sapkowski's second book series (non-Witcher) and I can see how much it influenced the games too. It's a medieval story that takes place in real locations in Poland during actual historical events (+inquisition). It's not 100% realistic either as many folk stories are shown to be true (ghosts, mysterious forest creatures, magic etc.). Basically everything in the game that is more on the local folklore side rather than taken from witcher books, what you see in the cities, the inquisition, the politics and also many monsters that haven't been described in Witcher books - it all comes from this series. It's kinda neat, I'll have to see if some storylines come up that I've already seen in the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How quick do you unlock new skill slots?

Can I reset my skill points? I started going down alchemy but at low levels the available skills aren't very helpful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

How quick do you unlock new skill slots?

Can I reset my skill points? I started going down alchemy but at low levels the available skills aren't very helpful.

If you hover over a locked skill/mutagen slot, it tells you at what level you unlock it. The second set unlocks at level, I think, 8 or so. Respec potions exist yes, and there's a vendor in Novigrad that has an infinite supply for 1000 crowns apiece.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Started a new playthrough after reinstalling the game and getting the expansion. Got up to level 12 and tried crafting Griffin Armour, only to find that it requires meteorite steel plate and none of the armourers/merchants seem to have it or the needed components in stock. Don't remember having this problem in my first playthrough back when the game was released. Is there a solution to this other than levelling up further and hoping it will unlock in the stores?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

don't worry about crafting gear and dress geralt like a clown hobo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
See if you can disassemble something you're carrying around into the parts you need. I always try that before buying/grinding for the parts because what some stuff disassembles into can surprise you. I was carrying around like 40 arrows I couldn't use because they were 20 levels above me, until I noticed they could be disassembled into steel, which I then sold for a net profit.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

alternatively: buck-naked drunken hobo

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

How about the ritual exile from Skellige and constantly getting poo poo from everyone? And is it really arrogance when you genuinely do know better ? She's really blunt and smart assed more than arrogant, I'd say.

Yennefer has leverage on Emhyr through Ciri.

Edit: But yeah I agree a lot of the political stuff in the last act of the game feels really rushed and poorly explained compared to everything else

Yen is one of the better characters in the game, but I think you give her a bit too much credit. Several times she's proven to not know for sure that something's going to work, she's just desperate and things happen to work for the best.

Palpek posted:

I've been reading Narrenturm for a while now which is the first book of Sapkowski's second book series (non-Witcher) and I can see how much it influenced the games too. It's a medieval story that takes place in real locations in Poland during actual historical events (+inquisition). It's not 100% realistic either as many folk stories are shown to be true (ghosts, mysterious forest creatures, magic etc.). Basically everything in the game that is more on the local folklore side rather than taken from witcher books, what you see in the cities, the inquisition, the politics and also many monsters that haven't been described in Witcher books - it all comes from this series. It's kinda neat, I'll have to see if some storylines come up that I've already seen in the game.

That sounds pretty cool, I wonder if The Witcher getting popular internationally could lead to an English translation for his other books.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently Berengar's Blade quest won't work if you've already looted the recipe. :(

edit: where can I find superior oil diagrams for:

Cursed Oil
Elementia Oil
Relict Oil
Insectoid Oil
Draconid Oil

and bombs:

Samum
Devil's Puffball
Northern Wind

I also wish the beers would stack better...

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 29, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

Playing on Death March, I was pretty frustrated with all of the expansion boss fights, they all had simple attack patterns or "gimmicks" but if you messed up once even slightly you were hosed.

Once I got to the von Everec manor and painting sequence where there's a bunch of boss fights in short succession, I finished that over several nights because the boss fights were just too obnoxious and tedious to finish in one sitting.

Don't get me wrong, everything else was amazing and on par with the best of the base game, I just felt like a lot of the expansion bosses were a bit over-tuned and bullshit-y.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 29, 2015

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'm so far behind the curve but w/e

Just got to the Hearts of Stone auction house stuff last night and loving Vivaldi out of nowhere with the save against the guards. Yeh poofs stop fuckin jammin up me pal Gherrralt, he fuckin gives me lots of orens and rupees and such at a good rate, get the gently caress out of our way. Random NPC shows up out of nowhere and gets poo poo done I love this.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Real hurthling! posted:

:agreed:
luckily there are already clown hoboes in the game

Clan heymaey armor dlc please.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Re: making money, you make a lot more at higher levels because the random loot sells for much much more. At level 38 I made a ton of cash from Skellige smugglers' stashes when I needed money for the runewright.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The expansion is really cool.

Beeez posted:

Yen is one of the better characters in the game, but I think you give her a bit too much credit. Several times she's proven to not know for sure that something's going to work, she's just desperate and things happen to work for the best.

I never said she was omniscient. Most of the actual plans for how to proceed in the game's main plot are hers, though. A notable exception being Vesemir broaching the idea to stop running and confront the Hunt on prepared ground.

EDIT: Gaunter O'Dimm whistling the expansion theme music :allears:

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 29, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, that's nice. For some reason I want to map all of Valen before even tackling the most early quests for the Baron, and I won a saddle that increased my horses stamina 4x.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Well, that's nice. For some reason I want to map all of Valen before even tackling the most early quests for the Baron,

Don't do that, you'll burn yourself out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Sharmat posted:

Don't do that, you'll burn yourself out.

Well, I've only been finding stuff thats :skull: ?? so yea, probably a good idea to pull back on that.

Is there anything I can do with all the raw meat I have? I thought maybe I can find someone that can craft food, but I haven't yet. Unless Garalt can just do that when meditating.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

twistedmentat posted:

Is there anything I can do with all the raw meat I have?

No, it's just to eat.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Sitting by a fire, eating raw meat

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Jusupov posted:

Sitting by a fire, eating raw meat

A witcher's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

From last page, but I'm also new to Witcher and I beat that Griffin on Death March without using Signs, potions or bombs because I was after the "kill two monsters" trophy. I was level 3, because I'd cleaned the map in White Orchard, but thanks to learning to git gud I died only 4 times before the mid-fight checkpoint, and maybe 3 times after. Also killed the Devil by the Well the same way.

Just keep dodging around to the back of the monsters so you can get hits in while they turn to face you, be ready to roll/run away if things look grim, carry plenty of food, and remember a flurry of fast attacks are worth more than a couple of strong attacks.

Stick with Death March, it's super rewarding to win fights on this difficulty. I killed all the things in White Orchard to basically treat it as an extended combat tutorial. Also found some nice gear along the way, and prepping for fights by making sure you've found the best swords/armour possible, have rested, sharpened your weapons, stocked up on consumables... yeah there's a nice mix of skill and preparation and learning to not suck.

Game good.