Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Another money sink for me was also trying to avoid buying PMDG. I bought two cheaper Boeings that had a combined cost of PMDG and eventually decided to get the 737NGX anyway because they're still the best in that category. Damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lobsterminator posted:

Another money sink for me was also trying to avoid buying PMDG. I bought two cheaper Boeings that had a combined cost of PMDG and eventually decided to get the 737NGX anyway because they're still the best in that category. Damnit.

I've only bought the "cheap" PMDG aircraft which is to say i've spent like 100 dollars on virtual aircraft.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
What's accufeel? Is that similar to the dynamic head movement from ezdok?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Snaxx posted:

What's accufeel? Is that similar to the dynamic head movement from ezdok?

It adds dynamic motion during turbulence, landing and taxiing (by moving the plane model, so it works with camera addons that adds motion effects by moving the camera around). The motion effects are not as exaggerated as the EzDok effects can be. And Accu-Feel also adds enhanced wind sounds, brake and tyre sounds, stall effects, and a couple of other effects. So it's not just a motion effect add-on, but more of an enhanced immersion add-on.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Anyone have any recommendations for a game along the lines of Jane's USAF? I don't like Ace Combat-y stuff, but I also don't have a hotas to fully enjoy something like DCS World.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's the Strike Fighters 2 series if you don't mind a variety of odd design decisions accumulated over a decade of development.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Seconding Strike Fighters 2, especially if you can get the expansions and trawl Combat Ace for mods. I always liked flying Mig-23s in the CWGH campaign.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
How does P3Dv3 compare to FSX:SE or XP10 in terms of graphics and performance? I'm currently flying XP-10 but interested in trying something else.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wish we could get a modern game with the same amount of complexity as Strike Fighters that focused on the early-mid Jet Ages.

Basically Strike Fighters 3, but maybe by better devs.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The last flight sim I tried was that awful Micosoft Flight one with 100 sq mi of terrain and like two planes. Why hasn't anyone made a good new flight sim game in forever?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

The last flight sim I tried was that awful Micosoft Flight one with 100 sq mi of terrain and like two planes. Why hasn't anyone made a good new flight sim game in forever?

The problem with simulators is that they are platforms. Nobody flies the default planes in either of the leading sims (except maybe for the first week or two). The add-on community is what makes them good and flight simulators are a niche market as it is so it's hard to get add-on developers to support new platforms. Many developers are hesitant to even support Prepar3D properly because they are a minority compared to FSX and thus not worth the extra effort.

And considering that good payware aircraft can take a year or more to make, it's impossible for a single company to create a good platform and also make detailed payware quality planes for it themselves.

Simming is a niche market and we just have to accept that everything will be more expensive and a bit outdated because of that.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

lobsterminator posted:

Many developers are hesitant to even support Prepar3D properly because they are a minority compared to FSX and thus not worth the extra effort.

I think that it's just the opposite of this. Most developers are embracing Prepar3D because of constant updates and further expanding capabilities of the platform. I'm guessing you'd be hard-pressed to find a developer who isn't supporting P3D because that's certainly where the market is going. LM is listening to user feedback and tailoring their sim accordingly.

It's not really fair to say that there aren't any GOOD, NEW flight sims out there, either. While I haven't tried FSX: Steam, both P3D and X-Plane are light-years ahead of what Microsoft left off with in FS:2004 or even FSX and the addon community has always been pushing the limits of what their platforms allow.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

IceLicker posted:

I think that it's just the opposite of this. Most developers are embracing Prepar3D because of constant updates and further expanding capabilities of the platform. I'm guessing you'd be hard-pressed to find a developer who isn't supporting P3D because that's certainly where the market is going. LM is listening to user feedback and tailoring their sim accordingly.

It's not really fair to say that there aren't any GOOD, NEW flight sims out there, either. While I haven't tried FSX: Steam, both P3D and X-Plane are light-years ahead of what Microsoft left off with in FS:2004 or even FSX and the addon community has always been pushing the limits of what their platforms allow.

You are right. I should have said *some* developers are hesitant to officially support P3D. They are mostly smaller players who feel like they can't spare any additional effort, but they are surprisingly few in number.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The next PMDG plane (DC-6) is going to be X-Plane 10(+?) only.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Some developers are embracing P3D whole heartedly and then being giant cunts about it, charging $20 more per module for a P3D license.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Kilonum posted:

The next PMDG plane (DC-6) is going to be X-Plane 10(+?) only.

I remember when that plane was announced, I was pretty loving excited. It's pretty bullshit that they're making something so different from their normal airliner stuff and not putting it on the most popular(?) platform.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
How do you configure HOTAS throttles with IL-2 1946? I'm getting it to recognize my joystick, but not the throttle.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

EvilJoven posted:

Some developers are embracing P3D whole heartedly and then being giant cunts about it, charging $20 more per module for a P3D license.

Or making re-buy the whole thing altogether.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

two_beer_bishes posted:

I remember when that plane was announced, I was pretty loving excited. It's pretty bullshit that they're making something so different from their normal airliner stuff and not putting it on the most popular(?) platform.

Oh man that DC6 would be rad for Air Hauler.

:(

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Noctis Horrendae posted:

How do you configure HOTAS throttles with IL-2 1946? I'm getting it to recognize my joystick, but not the throttle.

Is IL2 too old to recognize multiple joysticks in Windows? (This is a problem in Freespace 2 as well) If that's the case you'll need to use something that combines the sticks into one virtual stick (like TARGET for the Warthog, and whatever Saitek has).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Il2 can deal with 4 controllers total.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I haven't really been following P3D since it was initially released as a re-license of FSX. What improvements have they made over the years?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
BMS hit 4.33 with too much poo poo to list.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMOOOulhME

Check BMS thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

Carrier ops, harrier, autogen trees and grass, better water, new AI, F-18, buddy lasing, dynamic weather, new clouds, better ATC AI, new weapons, all kinds of poo poo.
For anyone under a rock, Falcon BMS is free. And spergy as gently caress with 100 percent clickable cockpit.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 2, 2015

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Vahakyla posted:

BMS hit 4.33 with too much poo poo to list.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMOOOulhME

Check BMS thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

Carrier ops, harrier, autogen trees and grass, better water, new AI, F-18, buddy lasing, dynamic weather, new clouds, better ATC AI, new weapons, all kinds of poo poo.
For anyone under a rock, Falcon BMS is free.

And with GOG selling Falcon 4.0 cheap, no need to go looking for a cd!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Went on a flight in a Robinson R44 Raven today and I'm getting the urge to fly one from my desk. Is there any good FSX model you guys know about?

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 2, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

First FC from CombatAce does it, now you http://combatace.com/topic/87466-fastcargos-helicopter-lesson/

Do you remember how little your/trainer's stick needed to move? Have you seen a joystick where all that is not in the deadzone?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SelenicMartian posted:

First FC from CombatAce does it, now you http://combatace.com/topic/87466-fastcargos-helicopter-lesson/

Do you remember how little your/trainer's stick needed to move? Have you seen a joystick where all that is not in the deadzone?

Warthog with stick extension. :colbert:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Il2 can deal with 4 controllers total.

How?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Each USB device has a Vendor ID (VID and Product ID (PID). These are hex values. IL2 uses the first 4 directx devices it sees, arranged in order by hex value.

This is why sometimes when you add a device it screws everything up; its VID/PID falls between your other controllers so it changes the order.

You can find these values in the device manager entry for each device. It'll be in the Details tab as Hardware IDs.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Each USB device has a Vendor ID (VID and Product ID (PID). These are hex values. IL2 uses the first 4 directx devices it sees, arranged in order by hex value.

This is why sometimes when you add a device it screws everything up; its VID/PID falls between your other controllers so it changes the order.

You can find these values in the device manager entry for each device. It'll be in the Details tab as Hardware IDs.

Not from a technical standpoint, but a setup standpoint.

We are talking 1946, right?

How would I go about actually getting the game to recognize the throttle?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Set your bindings in the control menu. Nothing is set up right by default. Should be close to the bottom of the settings, IIRC.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Set your bindings in the control menu. Nothing is set up right by default. Should be close to the bottom of the settings, IIRC.

I tried that, but whenever I pressed a button on my throttle after clicking a control, nothing happened.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
What model of throttle? Also make sure you're not trying to bind a button to control meant for an analog axis.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
X55.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya I have NFI how that thing works. Hang out in IRC and try to get a hand there.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey EvilJoven are you aware of the PC-6 Turbo Porter being worked on for Aerosoft right now? I think if might be very much your kind of poo poo (no floats though)

If you have a Aerosoft Forums membership, the thread is here:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/80189-pc-6-b2-h4-turbo-porter-4x-preview/

Some relevant posts by the creator:

quote:

As I wrote above the PT6A simulation is outside of FSX. At the moment there are already over 30 parameters to configure the engine and propeller settings. The number may even increase - but manipulation will be at your own risk. Mainly those parameters may help me to simulate other PC-6, other aircraft configurations or even other versions of the PT6A than the -27 installed on the D-FELI.

quote:

In FSX a 200 meter runway can be very boring with the PC-6. We need some special sceneries for that bird.

quote:

Ok, we now will rename the product into 'Sliding Door Simulator 2015':

- Added Config File for the PC-6 Airframe

- Added Parameters for Sliding Door Mass and Friction

- Simulation of forces on the door through gravity, acceleration, airflow and friction

There is still some finetuning needed, but the door now stays open on normal dive and closes when you brake with the propeller.

Finally,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps00Agmjqyg

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's gonna be hard to decide between that and a Kodiak as my next bush plane.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
DC6B for X-Plane out..... sort of.

PMDG pricing has gotten a bit out of hand.

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=106&idcategory=10

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just imagine how much it's going to cost for Prepar3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
At this point they're pretty much just trolling the community. I wouldn't be surprised if the installer plays the Imperial March while it's working.