Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MourningView posted:

I mean that is not the best way to handle it, but I think I would be annoyed if like half internet was breathlessly speculating on whether or not my place of employment was about to be shut down all the time (with a lot of them seeming to openly delight in doing so).

Well that would be because it pretty clearly IS about to be shut down, right? I'm not sure how much sympathy I can muster for people who apparently are working hard to convince themselves it isn't so. I mean I know it sucks but lashing out at people isn't constructive, work on your resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well that would be because it pretty clearly IS about to be shut down, right?

No?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

All right well maybe I'm just drinking the kool-aid then and it'll be around for a long time yet. To spite Simmons, I guess?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well that would be because it pretty clearly IS about to be shut down, right? I'm not sure how much sympathy I can muster for people who apparently are working hard to convince themselves it isn't so. I mean I know it sucks but lashing out at people isn't constructive, work on your resume.
alright, next caller

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

I mean that is not the best way to handle it, but I think I would be annoyed if like half internet was breathlessly speculating on whether or not my place of employment was about to be shut down all the time (with a lot of them seeming to openly delight in doing so).

You're right, but all shooting the messenger does is pour napalm on the "Grantland is DOA" fire.

e - In a better note, DACOAHCO gets a glorious mention in ESPN's USC article:

quote:

The interim coach was Ed Orgeron, another member of Carroll's Camelot. Coach O was a live wire, not a phony bone in his body. Originally brought to USC by Hackett, he had been Carroll's defensive line coach, assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator. He would take off his shirt in team meetings and pound his chest, encouraging players to pour water on him. It wasn't an act; he was the anti-Kiffin. He returned to USC's old-school style of physical football, and won six of his first seven games. Finally, a grown man was coaching the Trojans again, and after defeating No. 5 Stanford, Coach O seemed confident he'd be anointed permanent head coach.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
And now Grantland's dead http://espnmediazone.com/us/espn-statement-regarding-grantland/

quote:

Effective immediately we are suspending the publication of Grantland. After careful consideration, we have decided to direct our time and energy going forward to projects that we believe will have a broader and more significant impact across our enterprise.

Grantland distinguished itself with quality writing, smart ideas, original thinking and fun. We are grateful to those who made it so. Bill Simmons was passionately committed to the site and proved to be an outstanding editor with a real eye for talent. Thanks to all the other writers, editors and staff who worked very hard to create content with an identifiable sensibility and consistent intelligence and quality. We also extend our thanks to Chris Connelly who stepped in to help us maintain the site these past five months as he returns to his prior role.

Despite this change, the legacy of smart long-form sports story-telling and innovative short form video content will continue, finding a home on many of our other ESPN platforms

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hah, oops.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Understandable but sucks for a lot of quality talent that now needs to scramble for a new home.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
This is some weird-rear end timing. All four major professional sports are on, college football is entering it's major month, I can't speak for entertainment but sports-wise there's no lack of content. Unless they plan to take the Barnwell's and Lowe's and immediately throw them on the mothership, you'd think that they'd at least try to tread water until the spring/summer.

But I guess if someone at the Mouse says you gotta go, you gotta go.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Welp. In 10 years we'll look back to the last couple years of Grantland and have no idea how everyone who wrote for them did it at the same time. And how Bill Barnwell was included in that group of talented people.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
At least one Grantland writer found out via Twitter.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I'm sure Simmons already has a short list of who he wants to write the definitive Oral History of Grantland in 5 years.

Mornacale posted:

At least one Grantland writer found out via Twitter.

What, and pay for a plane ticket to LA just to tell people they're fired?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Well poo poo.

I hope Simmons hires the good ones.

And I hope to god that Zach Lowe ends up somewhere good.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Where do I go to read about sports (and rap rankings) now?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This is just twitter rumblings but allegedly rather than one, most found out via twitter/this press release.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Almost everyone at Grantland will be picked up by somewhere else cool, I'm sure. But it was so much cooler having them all in one place. RIP my workday reading

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ESPN at least tried to keep Lowe on board on their own site, right?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I am so glad Grantland is gone. What an awful website.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
James Andrew Miller ‏@JimMiller 2m2 minutes ago

All @Grantland33 writers will have their contracts honored; intent is to use sports writers on other @espn platforms.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
With Lowe I would assume he has a contract with ESPN and they'll just fold him into their regular NBA coverage.

e: well there you go

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, they must have told Zach Lowe. I mean, how dumb would you have to be to

hmmm

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

MourningView posted:

Ahh we do it with coaches and players all the time. Having a job that puts your name out in the public sure seems more hassle than what it's worth.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Poor Zach he just had a kid too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

euphronius posted:

Poor Zach he just had a kid too.

I have a feeling he'll have no trouble finding gainful employment if ESPN doesn't want him.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
One complaint I've read from several sports GM interviews is that they can't even call guys to tell them they've been traded/cut before they hear it on twitter. So this may be a case where ESPN has this call queued up with their HR goons to do over the next week, but it got out anyway. Particularly with that announcement that they intend to keep all the Grantland staff.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

it would be chill if some of the higher ups at ESPN were held accountable for the poo poo show that's occurred over the past 2 years across all their properties rather than just the low-level employees that really have nothing to do with the relative success or failure of a media conglomerate this size

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Now they need to shut down 538

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

One complaint I've read from several sports GM interviews is that they can't even call guys to tell them they've been traded/cut before they hear it on twitter. So this may be a case where ESPN has this call queued up with their HR goons to do over the next week, but it got out anyway. Particularly with that announcement that they intend to keep all the Grantland staff.

ESPN made an official, public notice about the closure of Grantland before informing their employees. It wasn't just a twitter newsbreak.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

hmmm

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

African AIDS cum posted:

Well that won't happen until after next November.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Kibner posted:

ESPN made an official, public notice about the closure of Grantland before informing their employees. It wasn't just a twitter newsbreak.

Oh, well gently caress em then.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So desperate for scoops that they scooped themselves.

Espn is basically ranting characters, a website, and broadcast contracts now, they better hope the contracts keep them afloat.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Grantland was aggressively middlebrow. There were some good things there that would get drowned out by 12,000 word essays about MTV Real World. But that is how media works.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

African AIDS cum posted:

This election cycle is basically the site's life support. After that it's done.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They'll probably keep Silver around for ABC appearances or whatever, but yeah 538 is done after the election

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

African AIDS cum posted:

Grantland was aggressively middlebrow. There were some good things there that would get drowned out by 12,000 word essays about MTV Real World. But that is how media works.

Do you have a good one to recommend?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Grantland was awesome and all the negative stuff people bitch about was grossly overshadowed by the fact they published a legitimately amazing writer everyday. They let Brian Phillips write about dog sleds and sumo and Wesley Morris cover WNBA draft fashion. They assembled the best NBA coverage I could possibly imagine with Lowe, Abrahms, Goldsberry, and network for the lols. The variety found in the numerous "shoot around" during the playoffs was some of my favourite content. I probably checked the site three times daily.
People can bitch about Barnwell and Sharp and Greenwald but Grantland consistently owned and I will miss it dearly.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I imagine their burn rate was insane

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

538 is a really good site during Presidential Election season, and the most pointless site on the internet outside of it. Why anybody got paid to come with the idea of 'hey, what if we use 538 for non-election stuff' I will never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

I imagine their burn rate was insane

As opposed to yours which hasn't produced a burn yet.