Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gabriel Pope posted:

On the other hand it will be hilarious if Lego winds up making a model for a vaporware game.

Especially at a cheaper pricepoint than the same ship for said game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No Discworld makes me sad. Also, no Golden Girls. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's also the problem where the star citizen ship just isn't that attractive a build. Ugly seams, angles not matching up.. and the tiles. It's like they couldn't decide if they wanted visible studs or not so they just slapped some tiles on the hull and figured going halfway was good enough.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Wow, the brickbuilt dinosaurs are spectacular, shame they're not going through

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
They really need to tighten up the Ideas guidelines just a little bit if they're not going to give any reason as to why each project is rejected. Based on size alone it looks like most of the projects in the second 2015 review will get rejected right out of the gate. So why not add a line about trying to keep size/cost down and nip some of those projects in the bud before they make it all the way through the process.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd also like to see them split up licensed and original creations better, maybe even give them different voting requirements or a different website. Because all someone has to do now is whip up something that has a bit of nostalgia and spam it to facebook, enjoy ten billion votes. It means unique ideas get a lot less attention than they deserve.

Also, ban LDD submissions. Browsing that site is a colossal chore because so much of it is some low effort render someone pooped out and figured they'd upload just because it's easy.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No DC-3. That sucks.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

xzzy posted:

I'd also like to see them split up licensed and original creations better, maybe even give them different voting requirements or a different website. Because all someone has to do now is whip up something that has a bit of nostalgia and spam it to facebook, enjoy ten billion votes. It means unique ideas get a lot less attention than they deserve.

Also, ban LDD submissions. Browsing that site is a colossal chore because so much of it is some low effort render someone pooped out and figured they'd upload just because it's easy.

lovely LDD renders in general piss me off, it takes a tiny bit of effort and patience to get that poo poo looking halfway decent by feeding it to POVRay or something similair

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ideas is stupid. Your project is basically doomed to get bumped into obscurity after the first 2 days unless it gets lucky enough to get into the rotation on the first page and it will end up front and center until it hits 10,000. In which case they probably won't make it anyways and won't even give a reason for it.

On top of that allowing listened ips is dumb because everyone just votes for those over actual builds.

I'm really surprised that T. rex isn't getting made though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Not only that but what looks good on LDD may not look good IRL, or it might be horribly flimsy, or it might be so horrible to build it should never see the light of day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue I see with the t. rex is it has zero play features. You build it and stare at it.

At least with the birds you could swoosh them.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It would be fun, but Lego is hella expensive so if you do the usual $20-30 limit, everyone's going to get the same 4 or 5 sets.

I think a lot of us probably have some old duplicate polybags or interesting minifigures that might make it fun. Also you could make it that it has to be MOCs rather than actual "sets".

I'd probably be down for this sort of thing except I'm extremely lazy.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

AllisonByProxy posted:

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/46

Latest Ideas review period results: Nobody wins!

Bummer about Medieval Market but that thing was so massive

Hopefully this communicates to the Ideas community that you have to design your submission with the consumer in mind and not just needlessly upload your favorite MOC or pop culture thing (Wind Waker set would have been nice but we all know that LEGO and Nintendo weren't going to get along).

"It needs to fit in a box"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm not clear what lesson there is to learn from the sets that passed review.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

"Good news everybody! Bad news..."

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I dunno.

They all fit in a box, they're all from marketable IPs (Discworld is cool but not many people would have bought it), they're all popular things.

This set of ideas seems to be comprised mainly of problems:

Discworld - not even a lot of people in their 20s who are into LEGO would know what this is from, so it's kind of a niche fit
Medieval Market - way too big
Frozen Castle - way too big, pretty ugly
T-Rex - too big
Golden Girls - not marketable, for similar reasons as Discworld
Legend of Zelda - impossible to get the rights from Nintendo (though it would be a dream come true if LEGO did)
Titanic - too big
Daft Punk - self explanatory

The only ones that I don't get are the DC-3 (maybe they thought only hobbyists would buy this one?), ISS, Small Yellow, and Science Adventures.

Science Adventures seems like it would be too small. Really, if anything, Small Yellow could have passed.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe small yellow wasn't suitable for children? I am not an art expert so I dunno what this based on or if at all but it could be seen as gruesome to little kids because the dude is ripping his chest open?
Also no play value at all.

Also I bet they want a go at that SC model because of the sheer idiocy SC fans display when it comes to spending money on stupid stuff. Wanting a slice of that pie and all...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone will probably hate me for this, but golden girls was a dumb idea and Lego is smart for not making it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Someone will probably hate me for this, but golden girls was a dumb idea and Lego is smart for not making it.

Big Bang Theory was a dumb idea too, but it's super popular so Lego would have been throwing away money if they skipped on it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. The thing about golden girls is it probably would have sold like poo poo. Big Bang is awful, but it's actually popular whereas Golden Girls is something people that think Chick Norris jokes are funny pretend to like.

For all of the blogs and Facebook posts that jizzed all over the GG set, I doubt any of them would have actually ponied up $60 or whatever it would cost.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I think other issues with Small Yellow are that it's all a singular color (can you imagine how silly the instructions would be?) and that it features a lot of loose bricks, which doesn't seem to be something LEGO is keen on.

Hopper posted:

Also I bet they want a go at that SC model because of the sheer idiocy SC fans display when it comes to spending money on stupid stuff. Wanting a slice of that pie and all...

I think it would be interesting if there were some SC ships because I like a lot of their designs.

That being said it's impossible for SC fans to spend a ton of money on LEGO ships because those things actually exist

Zodack fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 30, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Small Yellow seems kind of obscure and doesn't really seem to mesh with Lego's design and production philosophies (it would literally just be a box of yellow bricks, many of which just get dumped randomly and sit there in a loose pile.)

The DC-3 is still pretty big by Ideas standards and calls for a poo poo ton of chrome silver bricks, including some that may not actually exist. Also, for 99% of consumers it doesn't really distinguish itself from generic plane models which Lego already sells.

ISS is also pretty big, and I suspect the lack of an actual model may have counted against it. Lego's also done a model of the ISS before--while that doesn't necessarily preclude the release of a larger, more detailed update it probably provided some resistance.

Science Adventures :iiam: Maybe Lego just wasn't interested in what's basically a less interesting rehash of the Research Institute (the telescope and microscope weren't super ingenious but they were definitely more interesting than "rock formation" and "plant... thing.")

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well then they could have made it small rainbow. :colbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Voodoo posted:

They really need to tighten up the Ideas guidelines just a little bit if they're not going to give any reason as to why each project is rejected. Based on size alone it looks like most of the projects in the second 2015 review will get rejected right out of the gate. So why not add a line about trying to keep size/cost down and nip some of those projects in the bud before they make it all the way through the process.

:agreed:

Even if someone puts out a neat modestly sized display model that fits the Ideas niche it's probably going to be drowned out by everyone masturbating over unattainable licenses and megabuilds that dwarf Tower Bridge for piececount.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
I had a dozen people spam the Golden girls set on my Facebook wall. I'm glad they canned it.

I didn't read the small yellow page, did Nathan Sawaya approve of it?

Ideas is clearly broken to some degree. It's tough because few people build with smaller piece counts in mind. Most of the approved sets have been small.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

xzzy posted:

Big Bang Theory was a dumb idea too, but it's super popular so Lego would have been throwing away money if they skipped on it.

is it selling worth anything though? I have a feeling those will be hitting 50% off clearances.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Aw, I would have loved the DC-3, but I'm a plane nut.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Pirate Ken posted:

I didn't read the small yellow page, did Nathan Sawaya approve of it?

He submitted it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ideas would be better off nipping the garbage in the bud day one. Like 99% of the stuff on there is just something someone either put zero effort into, or they just lack the skill to make anything that anyone would even look at. Having only the top ten builds of each day/week or something survive would make it way less of a shitshow. Also, having a Lego employee come in and shut down stuff that would never get built before it gets 10000 votes would be good "hey, nice 12,000 pc Land Before Time build, thank you for submitting but we won't be able to manufacture this"

It sucks even submitting something on there. I made something I thought would do pretty well and got about 100 votes a day for the first 2 days, and was probably the highest voted thing for those 2 days, then it basically become invisible. Unless you hit the hype train your build is doomed to never be seen again. 90% of the hype stuff seems to just be banking on the ip its using anyways. I kind of wish they just didn't allow licensed stuff on Ideas.

Don't get me wrong I didn't necessarily think it would get manufactured or anything, but I thought it would at least get some sort of visibility but it basically becomes impossible to even find after those first 2 days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the lesson here is that Lego should contract goons to audit ideas submissions.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
While Star Citizen is a terrible thing, you can't deny that if Lego made that ship then it would sell.

Also I picked up a Star Wars advent calendar this week - this is the first one I've really wanted.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Bushifox posted:

is it selling worth anything though? I have a feeling those will be hitting 50% off clearances.

I hope so. My wife wants one but I"ll be damned if I'm paying that much for a collection of minifigs.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Really disappointed about the Bricksauria T-Rex. I had such high hopes :(

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Let's predict the next batch!
Adventure TIme: Show might be a bit weird for Lego, but it'd be a fun license to get. Might be past the prime, though; the show doesn't seem as popular as it used to be. Another problem I see is that the particular Ideas set is brick-built figures, rather than a playset. No pass, but maybe it'll prompt Lego to talk to Cartoon Network about some licensing. Unless CN"s already in a deal with Mega/Kre-O/K'Nex, but I can't find any of their properties as building sets.
Caterham: Niche racing car; licensing. Intrudes on the Racers line. Possible pass.
Modular Library: Too big, modular line already exists. No pass.
Lego Physics: Might be too large, might be too advanced for Ideas. Possible pass.
Stay Puft: Too large; already doing an outside-Ideas giant GB HQ and could already be planning a Marshmallow Man in that quasi theme. No pass.
Indominus Rex: Already a licensed line. If the T-Rex didn't pass, this one won't. No pass.
Rivendell: Hah, like this ever stood a chance. Too large, already licensed line. Probably won't get beyond two sentences at the table meeting. No pass.
Le Petit Prince: Pre-dates Lego itself. Virtually unknown in the US these days. Plus it's yet another licensed product. No pass.
Lothlorien: Although it's much more sedate than Rivendell, it's still a large set, and it's already a licensed property. No pass.

I can understand their potential reasoning for not passing most of the sets this time. The Science Adventures one is puzzling, though. It's basically a sequel to the Research Institute (and by the same designer), and that did very well (at least, they pretty much instantly sold out every production run) and they got a lot of good press for it. So why not a second go? Too much like the first? Was this the first 'sequel' Ideas set to hit 10k? The T-Rex is amazing, and it doesn't seem like it's got a significantly larger number of pieces than Wall-E. Although I can see some fragility and joint issues with it.

One problem with Lego curating Ideas themselves, beyond the sheer number of projects, is that a lot of it is stuff kids put up. That's probably 90% of the projects, and it'd be kinda dickish of them to prune them out immediately.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 31, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pyroclastic posted:

Le Petit Prince: Pre-dates Lego itself. Virtually unknown in the US these days. Plus it's yet another licensed product. No pass.

Will they necessarily care about this?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Pyroclastic posted:

Let's predict the next batch!
Adventure TIme: Show might be a bit weird for Lego, but it'd be a fun license to get. Might be past the prime, though; the show doesn't seem as popular as it used to be. Another problem I see is that the particular Ideas set is brick-built figures, rather than a playset. No pass, but maybe it'll prompt Lego to talk to Cartoon Network about some licensing. Unless CN"s already in a deal with Mega/Kre-O/K'Nex, but I can't find any of their properties as building sets.

I haven't ever seen Adventure Time building sets. Aren't Lego and Cartoon Network pretty tight? I'm pretty sure Cartoon Network co-produced Mixels with Lego, and I know Ninjago at least airs on the channel. I think I also saw a Cartoon Network logo on Nexo Knights promo stuff.

I do agree Adventure Time is past its prime, though.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Chairchucker posted:

Will they necessarily care about this?

Big companies generally like the things they sell to actually make money.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

MaliciousOnion posted:

While Star Citizen is a terrible thing, you can't deny that if Lego made that ship then it would sell.

You'd just have to price it accordingly. 10$ per piece but make the sets numbered so they feel rare.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It'll be an actual product you can buy. Why would star citizens be interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Jusupov posted:

You'd just have to price it accordingly. 10$ per piece but make the sets numbered so they feel rare.

You can buy the box now for $60; once Lego has raised enough money to hire Leonard Nimoy they'll release the instructions.

Pyroclastic posted:

Caterham: Niche racing car; licensing. Intrudes on the Racers line. Possible pass.

Caterham (the company) has all but put their stamp of approval on these already. Also the guy has done a huge amount of work on making the model as Ideas-friendly as possible, offering build variations with different levels of part count and detail.