Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And in one episode a hawk man swoops down and snatches a rat woman, so presumably even the animals not meant to be food are occasionally eaten by other animals and no one really cares much.
That's actually their version of Uber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Edit: ^^I like this answer better.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And in one episode a hawk man swoops down and snatches a rat woman, so presumably even the animals not meant to be food are occasionally eaten by other animals and no one really cares much.

The hawk man was like Dahmer, clearly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

misguided rage posted:

Lyft, obviously

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

misguided rage posted:

This works but I was thinking more along the lines of life like in Ugly Americans, so many weird creatures around that crime isn't really crime, more just like rules of nature. Except when it comes to zombies :v:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Anyone else being Bojack for Halloween? I'll post a few pics of me horsin' around this weekend.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

robot roll call posted:

Anyone else being Bojack for Halloween? I'll post a few pics of me horsin' around this weekend.

That was my idea, except the party I was going to got canceled. I was going to borrow my friends horsemask and wear my suit jacket.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

robot roll call posted:

Yeah, but it'll be like knock-off Bojack since my jacket is black, the sweater isn't patterned, and I didn't feel like dying the creepy horse head mask's mane black.

Edit: I think I might get a few apple fritters but put them in a big box on my way to the party tomorrow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Vincent Adultman would be a good costume. You'd just need a hat, a treachncoat, a broom and a mannequin hand.

No one would know who you were though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I was just google-image-searching Bojack costumes. This Princess Carolyn is awesome:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I know a goon who dressed up as Princess Caroline and Vincent Adultman last year, pretty good stuff.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

My Bojack is pretty deece, I got the clothes spot on and I dyed the stock horse mask hair black. I was going to paint over the eyes but I kind of like the creepy realistic ones...

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Hedrigall posted:

I was just google-image-searching Bojack costumes. This Princess Carolyn is awesome:

this is almost exactly the costume I was going to do, but I was going to put some velcro in the mouth and onto a fake cigarette so he could close his mouth and smoke

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

twistedmentat posted:

Vincent Adultman would be a good costume. You'd just need a hat, a treachncoat, a broom and a mannequin hand.

No one would know who you were though.

If you had a kid you could stand them on your shoulders and do Vincent Adultman. Otherwise, you'd just be a guy in a lumpy trenchcoat.

Also you'd need tiny feet poking out the bottom.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
My lovely BoJack costume:

It's like an animation error where the colors got hosed up, or a Chinese knock-off.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yes

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Do you happen to know who made this? It's really cool.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This show is a bit of a slow burner, I didn't really love it till halfway through the fist seaon, but by the end i love everything about it.

Its smart, and consistent, and its become one of my favourite shows.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

HardKase posted:

This show is a bit of a slow burner, I didn't really love it till halfway through the fist seaon, but by the end i love everything about it.

Its smart, and consistent, and its become one of my favourite shows.

Bojack.txt

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
There's no reason why these haven't been made yet:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jubs posted:

There's no reason why these haven't been made yet:

I can think of 5 off the top of my head.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd prefer actual figures.

Then I could put Bojack and Mr Peanutbutter in the same house (my house) and declare "What is this, a crossover episode?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I feel like those and this show have conflicting markets.
Edit-

Hedrigall posted:

I'd prefer actual figures.

Then I could put Bojack and Mr Peanutbutter in the same house (my house) and declare "What is this, a crossover episode?"

Not these. These are gold. Maybe they'll get picked up by the guys that made these monstrosities:

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 13, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nevvy Z posted:

Edit-

Not these. These are gold. Maybe they'll get picked up by the guys that made these monstrosities:

Reaction figures are made by the same company that makes Pop figures, Funko. They're terrible and sell like crap, except the Alien ones because they were based on actual figures never actually sold.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Nevvy Z posted:

Edit-

Funko makes those as well.

And which market are you talking about? They make POPS! for everything.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Jubs posted:

Funko makes those as well.

And which market are you talking about? They make POPS! for everything.

And to bring it back around

So yeah, I could totally see a Bojack line

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

And to bring it back around

So yeah, I could totally see a Bojack line

That chibi poo poo is pretty dissonant with Bojack's whole deal, man. That's true for a lot of those, and it's not even funny in an ironic way, because it's not like the diametric opposite or anything.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TOM HANKS posted:

Do you happen to know who made this? It's really cool.

Steer yourself right over here. http://kevin-clifford.tumblr.com/

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

That chibi poo poo is pretty dissonant with Bojack's whole deal, man. That's true for a lot of those, and it's not even funny in an ironic way, because it's not like the diametric opposite or anything.

How much is too much dissonance for a show about funny talking animals having grown-up problems

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Tempo 119 posted:

How much is too much dissonance for a show about funny talking animals having grown-up problems

It's just like any fiction, man, it does have an established vibe

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I somehow only just today noticed this thread existed, even though I love this show and actively pine for season 3.

I want to talk a little about what I think is one of the central themes of the show, but which doesn't seem to have been discussed much by the thread (although maybe I overlooked it, I kind of skimmed the pages up to this point). Basically, one of the things I think the show is great at doing, and what made it strike a chord with me in particular, is it shows what happens when people try to use TV (or other fictional stories) as a frame of reference for how to deal with problems in their actual lives, and what happens when they do.

Obviously, the way Bojack handles it is exaggerated. He tries to be a Cool Dad at the high school prom. He tries to turn Herb's funeral into a treasure hunt/murder mystery. These things make for easy setups to jokes about how screwed up Bojack is, or how stupid Full House was in general. But on top of these types of obvious jokes, I see something more subtle going on in the way the show presents itself.

Throughout season 1, I noticed a bit of a running theme of anti-climactic subplots. One of the smaller ones to come to mind was the note under Todd's couch--I don't remember exactly what it was, but the point is that it was evidence of the setup where Bojack screwed over Todd's musical. The shot focuses on it, treats it like Chekhov's gun, makes it clear that Todd is going to discover it and Bojack's whole plot will be revealed. In the end, though, Todd never sees that evidence, and Todd realizes Bojack's plot in a completely different way. That same episode is also framed to make it look like Todd is purposely sabotaging Bojack's film as a result of that discovery, but that, too, is revealed to be a unrelated coincidence.

A more notable example is the two birds who attempt to blackmail Bojack with the photos they took of him and Sarah Lynn. They are first revealed right after Bojack's declarations of "NOTHING I DO HAS CONSEQUENCE", obviously contradicting these statements and making the point that something he did WILL have consequences at some point in the future. And then it becomes a running joke that he keeps brushing off the birds in one way or another, delaying finding out that they even have photographs of him. Episodes later, the birds finally manage to tell someone want they want in exchange for the photos, and it's only a hundred dollars. And then they're threatened with legal action, so they don't even get THAT much money out of it. Bojack was right--his actions in that episode never came back to haunt him in any way. It's another anti-climax.

The point is that it's not just the characters who are misled by the lessons being taught to them by the TV. The viewers of the show ITSELF are being led to expect certain outcomes from the plot due to how it frames those episodes, and then those expectations never pay off. We're trained to see certain events happen and say, "Oh, this thing just happened, so I definitely know that this other thing is going to happen later." And then it doesn't. Because that's not how real life works, and like Bojack, we were silly for expecting it to end up that way.

Probably the biggest example of this is Bojack's relationship with Diane in season 1. There are so many small tropes laid out everywhere that imply Bojack is going to get together with Diane in the end. The first episode of the season is centered around their introduction; she's the first new girl Bojack meets in the show. It comes at a turning point in Bojack's life, not only because he's writing his memoir, but because he just broke up with his girlfriend. His first words upon seeing her photo are "She's cute". It's revealed that she's currently interested in his rival, and in just a few episodes, it's suggested by one of the characters that she's only pretending she can be with a doofy optimistic person when she knows deep down that she belongs with someone cynical like her. Diane and Bojack have some fairly intimate conversations, share their worldviews with each other, we start seeing signs that Bojack is in denial or otherwise trying to hide that he has strong feelings for her, he starts going out of his way to do special things for her, etc. etc. You see this kind of thing in any other show, and it's not even a question that they're going to end up together, right?

But what do all these things mean in real life? Absolutely nothing. And if these same things were happening in real life, the obvious answer would be that she never had a reason to fall for Bojack. She's already seeing someone, you idiot. She's having personal conversations with you because that's part of the work contract you agreed to have with her. What made you think it was okay to kiss her!? She's engaged! What are you doing!?

In the episode centered around Diane's family, the topic of closure is brought up. Bojack says that closure doesn't exist--it's something Spielberg made up so he could sell movies. Ironically, just a few episodes later, Bojack seeks closure from Herb, and of course Herb refuses to give it to him. Because Bojack is right, that's not how real life works. Things don't get cleared up over the course of thirty minutes, or really over ANY period of time. Even if you find some way to patch things up, any mistakes you've made in a relationship (or the other person has made) are going to persist in some form as long as you have that relationship. Sometimes they persist even after a relationship has ended.

I think these types of lessons and messages given by the show are applied to all relationships in general, friends, family, or otherwise, but I think the show's strengths is in how it portrays the romantic relationships and does things with them that other shows don't really do. I already talked about how Diane subverts expectations in that regard, but it's really Charlotte that makes the show stand out for me. Here is a character that is introduced halfway through the first season, as part of a flashback that happened twenty years ago, a character who I thought was just a throwaway character intended to provide some extra flavor to those scenes and to briefly provide a new perspective on Bojack's character. I was not expecting her to be revealed to be what was probably Bojack's ACTUAL romantic interest over the course of the entire season. But that's true to real life, too--as much as you'd like to try to move onto a new stage in your life, and tell yourself that all that really matters is what's in front of you in the moment, the truth is probably that your actions are still influenced by trying to make up for a mistake you made once years ago, or are attempts to recapture moments that you're never going to have again. Even if Diane HAD somehow ended up with Bojack, that was never going to be a self-contained romance arc with a clean beginning and end--she's just someone new in a series of romantic relationships Bojack has already had, some that he wishes he still had.

Episode 11 of season 1 was heartbreaking for me. But a big part of what contributed to its melancholy was the regret, the "how things could have been"--the lack of closure. And, for me, when I'm troubled by lack of closure, I tend to think the best solution is to FIND closure, however you can get it. One way of doing this is by making peace with the idea that you're never going to know what could have been, or that you don't really need to know. But that's not the TV answer. The TV answer is that the hero marches back to the conflict and pulls victory out of it, one way or another. And in this particular situation, that meant going back to see Charlotte again.

And, as always, you CAN attempt to emulate the TV solution in real life. But it is never going to turn out the way it turns out on TV, because that's not how real life works.

I wasn't sure if Bojack was going to run into Charlotte again after season 1, but I figured that if he did, she was probably already going to be married. And of course she would be; she's been living her own life. You may have had a revelatory hallucination all about her that's suddenly made her a central figure in your life, but that's just you. She hasn't seen you in two decades, and even if she wasn't married, she's probably been doing just fine without you.

Sometimes you can't get closure the way you want, the way you pictured yourself getting it. But sometimes in your attempts to achieve closure, you end up getting it in another way, by burning more bridges than you ever intended.

I wouldn't say I relate to Bojack as a character, exactly. But I relate to some of the ways he tries to approach solving problems. Like Bojack, I have depressive tendencies, and like Bojack, I respond to those depressive tendencies by trying to be a better person. And sometimes I don't really know how to be a better person, other than through what I've learned in the examples given, the stories told by other people. But these stories usually exist in a vacuum, they depend on things following a plan. Sometimes when you try to do the right thing, life throws in an extra variable you don't expect, and what you thought was you doing a good thing suddenly turns out to be you doing a really lovely thing. And sometimes you can't really tell which of the two it was.

The lessons we learn from stories can be dangerous. But until we've actually tried ANYTHING for ourselves, stories are all we have to go by. And sometimes even after we've tried everything we can, we still haven't run into the happy ending that was depicted in the story. But we have to hope that happy ending is achievable. So we keep returning to the stories to see if we can learn from them how to achieve it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think the thread title, or specifically the scene it references, is really appropriate.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Those designs work better for some shows than others, but the Bob's Burgers ones don't really work.

Also, I'm down to one episode of Season 2 left. It's kind of cool to see the 11th episodes of both seasons rhyme with a "Bojack finding himself" plot. Of course, season 1 had a lot more drugs.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Wanton Spoon posted:

A more notable example is the two birds who attempt to blackmail Bojack with the photos they took of him and Sarah Lynn. They are first revealed right after Bojack's declarations of "NOTHING I DO HAS CONSEQUENCE", obviously contradicting these statements and making the point that something he did WILL have consequences at some point in the future.

This is never even mentioned when Diane's book comes out either. Maybe she left certain details out as it's hard to imagine Bojack banging his youngest onscreen daughter not being a story.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wanton Spoon posted:

Closure and Charlotte

One of the things that I always appreciated about the episodes in season 1 with Herb and Charlotte and Bojack together is that it shows quite clearly that Bojack bought into Horsin' Around while Herb and Charlotte still stayed "normal" and carried on with their lives after parting ways. It's what I think is one of the strong points of the show, the harsh reality that Bojack always falls back into and every time someone talks about "the best episode" it is usually an episode that is all about someone dealing with harsh realities, whether it is Dianne spending time with her family, Bojack seeking closure with Herb or really anytime Bojack tried to reconnect with anyone from the Horsin' Around days and before.

When I was first getting into the show I didn't pay as close attention to the episode where Bojack goes to reconcile with Herb and so I didn't understand the optics of the situation but it's funny because the same thing happens with Bojack. He thinks that because Herb is dying that he can just show up and say "I am sorry I didn't visit you sooner and I am sorry that I betrayed you, do you think you can forgive me 20 years later?" like what would happen in a movie or a tv show, he probably could hear the schmaltzy score and everything when he was plotting it out. Yet Herb is grounded in reality, he is happy to see Bojack and that Bojack decided to reach out one last time but that still does not excuse the past two decades. We see this happen many times over the series and the great part is how Episodes 11 of Season 1 and 2 are bookended so well. The primary focus is on Bojack trying to escape from what his life has become and return to a "simpler time", before Horsin' Around ruined his life. Of course his hallucination is about as Hollywood as you could get and this is revealed a season later when he decides to go spend time with Charlotte and her family. Despite Bojack attempting to "start fresh" he runs into the problem of the fact that he left LA to go to Arizona and try to shack up with a woman whom he barely knows and has a family. Of course it ends up blowing up in his face because Bojack only learns his lessons by receiving the polar opposite reactions as to what he expects but again it is what makes the episodes so memorable.

Incidentally, considering that pretty much every bridge of his is burnt now, what are we going to discover in NYC?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wish Netflix wouldn't automatically shrink the screen during the credits, because it's always a treat to look at the guest voices. I'm guessing the character Ilana Glazer voiced on 2-11 was the friend who got alcohol poisoning.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Season 3 drops on July 22. Suck a dick, dumbshits.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/bo...ampaign=IW_post

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yesssss that's great news!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Woohoo, deep winter, just in time to contribute to my seasonal affective disorder. :munch:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do they broadcast it upside down in the southern hemisphere?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

withak posted:

Do they broadcast it upside down in the southern hemisphere?

Just backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Winter wtf