Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rocketrobot posted:

Wasteland 2 is an excellent example of turn-based combat happening efficiently, if nothing else. Many turn-based games have exceedingly slow animations, followed by animation resets, that slow everything way the gently caress down.

Oh my god the mutants in Darwin take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to take their turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lotish posted:

Oh my god the mutants in Darwin take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to take their turns.
I skipped Darwin my first time through. This time I got there and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh :tizzy:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Shotguns and pipebombs rock on that map. Kinda sucks that playing murderball with aoes is so antithetical to the 'best outcome' though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of the things I like about the Delayed Gratification quirk is that it effectively makes your intelligence one tier higher for most of the game, so you can take points you might otherwise put into Int and put them elsewhere. I made two characters with DG and 4 intelligence and they get as many points as someone with 8, which let me put those 4 points into speed, strength and coordination. If you're okay with 3 points a level, then you can dump intelligence down to 1.

It also lets me make a skill monkey character who gets six skill points a level.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

crashdome posted:

Are we twins?
Yes

Also as far as stealth, they took out Silent Movement and Evasion from the skill list (and also Salvaging, not sure if they rolled that with Bullet Swaging into Weaponsmithing or what) so once upon a time you could have probably done what you wanted...but they apparently felt like being able to avoid combats at will did not work well with the game. I think. Something like that.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Lotish posted:

Yeah. But that's on purpose due to their movement. It made me want PoE's fast mode as an easier option (you can speed up combat in wasteland 2 in the menu settings).

jfood posted:

Shotguns and pipebombs rock on that map. Kinda sucks that playing murderball with aoes is so antithetical to the 'best outcome' though.

The AoE perk for explosives is extra handy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So what does it take to convince Sadler that the Titan bomb is a fake? I went down, inspected the bomb, Enola told me it was fake, and yet when I talk to Sadler I can't actually explain why I know.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Speaking of combat. Doing the fight against industrial robots in the hideout, using Arizona weapons with 3 rangers and Vulture's Cry was really fun and actually tactical. That ensanring rifle is awesome.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rose is actually marginally better in combat in terms of having one more CI and the same AP, weapon skills aside. Assuming this page is accurate, anyway: http://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Recruits_%28Wasteland_2%29

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm trying to figure out if this is some character build failure on my part or if it's just the game being stupid, but I have no idea why close quarters combat characters miss nearly every time. One of my main Rangers is a bladed weapons char, and I am also using Lexacanum. They are both borderline useless. Almost all the time they have a 68% chance to hit and they miss roughly 90% of the time. It was such a joke I was just laughing at how much they suck before, but now I'm in LA and feeling under leveled, and the symphony of "whiff" noises that happen every time it's either of their turns is making my skin crawl.

On a similar note. Shotguns feel terrible as well. They do poo poo damage and are way too unwieldy with the friendly fire. I was hoping there would be this breaking point where they end up useful, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. The worst part is I made Rose a shotgunner before I knew this, so I have 2 unreliable idiots running around (with scotchmo), barely plinking enemies and probably doing as much damage to my own squad as they are to enemies.

I really hope Angela Deth/some better companions show up sooner than later so I can get rid of Scotchmo and lexacanum at least. Rose is useful outside of combat. really wish I had stuck with handguns on her though.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Delerion posted:

Pistol ap costs are much better, but my pistoleer still doesn't get close to my other team members in terms of damage output.

They're kings of precision shot though. Shred Armor -> gently caress 'em up. If you think you can kill them that turn headshot/body shot them, if you're surrounded just hit everyone's arms and they won't hit anything.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Holy poo poo, chief Keku (I always think of Kikubaaqudgka the death god from Crawl when I see the name) is an rear end in a top hat. Not just an everyday rear end in a top hat, but a brutal dictatorial warlord. I''ve done a ridiculous amount of schlepping back and forth, sweet talking both him and Casey into concessions as well as cleaning up their little messes. Finally I return with the goddamn brake shoe, thinking that, finally, I could help broker a peace deal - and that rear end in a top hat cheerfully declares that now his tribe can wipe out the remaining Atchisons. I'm actually genuinely angry about this turn of events.

So what happens if I ice this mini-Hitler? I have no qualms about murdering the rest of his gimp guards, but I don't want to be stuck with the blood of the Topekan townspeople on my hands.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

On a similar note. Shotguns feel terrible as well. They do poo poo damage and are way too unwieldy with the friendly fire. I was hoping there would be this breaking point where they end up useful, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. The worst part is I made Rose a shotgunner before I knew this, so I have 2 unreliable idiots running around (with scotchmo), barely plinking enemies and probably doing as much damage to my own squad as they are to enemies.

They do get better, but unfortunately you'll be halfway through LA before it happens. There are 2 high tier shotguns that have burst fire, and they do literally stupid amounts of damage.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Holy poo poo, chief Keku (I always think of Kikubaaqudgka the death god from Crawl when I see the name) is an rear end in a top hat. Not just an everyday rear end in a top hat, but a brutal dictatorial warlord. I''ve done a ridiculous amount of schlepping back and forth, sweet talking both him and Casey into concessions as well as cleaning up their little messes. Finally I return with the goddamn brake shoe, thinking that, finally, I could help broker a peace deal - and that rear end in a top hat cheerfully declares that now his tribe can wipe out the remaining Atchisons. I'm actually genuinely angry about this turn of events.

So what happens if I ice this mini-Hitler? I have no qualms about murdering the rest of his gimp guards, but I don't want to be stuck with the blood of the Topekan townspeople on my hands.

Type in the secret word both into Kekkabah's chat log, or do it to Casey James, to get the peaceful route ending.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

you picked the wrong dialog options

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Type in the secret word both into Kekkabah's chat log, or do it to Casey James, to get the peaceful route ending.

Hmm, I'l give it a try when I get home tonight. Although I think I'd prefer to dispense some wasteland justice at this point. Which brings me back to the first question - will all the Topekan townspeople go hostile if I kill the chief?

It's a bit of a pet peeve how in many rpgs npcs will basically suicide themselves upon the player after a crime is committed. Shopkeepers, children, the elderly, all ready to fight to the death at the drop of a hat.

Roobanguy posted:

you picked the wrong dialog options

Oh definitely.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So where is Gary "NaCl" Wolfe? I've given the DBM the bomb (against my better judgement) and with the Radiant Personality perk I've got a combined Charisma score of 27, which should be more than he requires. Does he not spawn until you finish Damonta, or is this a bug?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is LA roughly the half way point or is it shorter than Arizona?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's structured a little bit differently, but it's pretty much the halfway point, yeah.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow. Everything I read said it was 40ish hours but Arizona alone took me about that long and I even skipped some stuff.

I'm torn between being happy that it's super long and bummed that it is going to throw a wrench in my goal of beating that and Divinity before FO4 comes out, in NESguerilla's RPG Manchild Madness Marathon 2K15 ® .

better go quit my job I guess.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, you can definitely sink some time into this game if you want to.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lotish posted:

So where is Gary "NaCl" Wolfe? I've given the DBM the bomb (against my better judgement) and with the Radiant Personality perk I've got a combined Charisma score of 27, which should be more than he requires. Does he not spawn until you finish Damonta, or is this a bug?

inXile forums posted:

DC Changes - Recruitment circumstances have been changed for the DC version. Gary will only show up if you refuse to work with Sadler, and then subsequently send the nuclear missile to the DBM Repair Depot anyway. His MAXCON has been raised by +12 to 184. He has the following perks added to his sheet: Cyber Scrounger, Hardened, Hollow Point, Master Thief, and Tormentor.

loving seriously? That can't be right. That means if you work with Sadler you get no one from the Canyon of Titan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there no way to save your party member if you let fletcher die without smart rear end 10? wtf

E: is there any point in keeping ammo from earlier game weapons? Or does the ammo size just keep changing? Like, should I just get rid of my 5.56 ammo if my current AR uses 7 mm or whatever it is?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 30, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ 7.62 totally obsoletes 5.56 unless you pick up the AUG.

Lotish posted:

loving seriously? That can't be right. That means if you work with Sadler you get no one from the Canyon of Titan.

Yep. Just did that on my run because the DBM quest is far and away the most enjoyable one to play and, bupkis.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
How do you get back a recruit that you have previously dismissed? I thought I had read they go back to the Citadel, but I can't find my Chisel anywhere.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Are there ever any loot chests in random encounters?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Are there ever any loot chests in random encounters?

Nothing other than the loot your enemies drop.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Munsun posted:

How do you get back a recruit that you have previously dismissed? I thought I had read they go back to the Citadel, but I can't find my Chisel anywhere.

That's a bug in the director's cut. Dismissed npcs will only reappear once you go to Cali.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Where on earth does it display what radiation suit your party has equipped? I can't for the life of me find it anywhere.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Alchenar posted:

Where on earth does it display what radiation suit your party has equipped? I can't for the life of me find it anywhere.

On the character sheet tab listed with other stuff is radiation resistance. Don't worry, it took me a long time to find because I kept looking for a party slot. You just equip it and that's it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have never in my life played a game more broken than the PS4 version of this. The game has crashed when trying to save after the Matthias fight twice now and I may just wait till a patch comes out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have never in my life played a game more broken than the PS4 version of this. The game has crashed when trying to save after the Matthias fight twice now and I may just wait till a patch comes out.

Yeah to say that there's a contrast in quality between the Director's Cut of this and the Extended release of Divinity Original Sin would be... an understatement.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah to say that there's a contrast in quality between the Director's Cut of this and the Extended release of Divinity Original Sin would be... an understatement.

I think my frustration is not so much the glitches as it is that the glitches happen on consistent triggers. Saving/loading/and state changes have about a 1% change of crashing the game it seems like.

Something that predictable and consistent should be the first thing they should have fixed in QA. I mean, if you can routinely make the game crash while saving its not exactly a myserious bug.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Did somebody end up modding the game so you could complete both Highpool and Ag Center? I seem to recall somebody on here or ineXile wanting to do that.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Did somebody end up modding the game so you could complete both Highpool and Ag Center? I seem to recall somebody on here or ineXile wanting to do that.

In the long run, is Ag Center even worth saving? All they've really accomplished is loosing mutant horrors into the wastes and providing jobs to assholes. The research there can be reclaimed later, or do scientists not take notes in the grim darkness of the giant rabbit future?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Pvt.Scott posted:

In the long run, is Ag Center even worth saving? All they've really accomplished is loosing mutant horrors into the wastes and providing jobs to assholes. The research there can be reclaimed later, or do scientists not take notes in the grim darkness of the giant rabbit future?

It was sabotage

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

It was sabotage

But if you actually read the notes, you learn even though it was sabotage, his work was also the only reason they were getting anywhere. Before him they were still just doing basic farming, same as any other settlement. His research was what revolutionized the big plants

Compare that to AN ACTUAL WORKING DAM. AN IRREPLACEABLE STRUCTURE THAT THERE ARE NO PARTS TO, and it seems the scientists were a real loving useless bunch.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

^^^ yeah, what that guy said. I'm all happy for research or whatever, but that facility was kind of a bust either way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I have been playing WL2 for the last 2 weeks and grabbed Divinity last night and it feels like I upgraded a generation of consoles switching between the 2.

it really is just about the clunkiest port of anything I've ever played on PS4. Still worth playing imo but holy gently caress it needs some serious patching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Why is LA so green in this game? When I went there a few months ago and it was all brown. I played Fallouts way back when, I was impressed by the bleakness of American post nuclear future. But apparently that's just what it always looks like.

• Locked thread