Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Could Grantland be purchased by another media corporation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

it's very much against the law for an employer to give an inaccurate poor reference.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

No it isn't.

In most states it's illegal to spread that kind of information, even if true, unless you are asked. Also, if anything is even a little bit false (in some states even if they thought it was true) and someone can prove damages (in the form of not getting a job) you can be sued.

It's a really sticky area, most employers now just give factual information back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

In most states it's illegal to spread that kind of information, even if true, unless you are asked. Also, if anything is even a little bit false (in some states even if they thought it was true) and someone can prove damages (in the form of not getting a job) you can be sued.

It's a really sticky area, most employers now just give factual information back.

You are talking about defamation which is unlawful not illegal.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
ESPN is getting out of the pop culture business. Sports is pop culture.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

soggybagel posted:

it was a dumb anonymous quote

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

soggybagel posted:

That quote also baffles me.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

euphronius posted:

You're having a hard time here.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

commy gun posted:

ESPN is obsolete without broadcast rights. Why not not try to branch out with different content. The "E" stands for "Entertainment"! :eng101:
ESPN did pretty drat well in the late 1980s and early 1990s without a lot of broadcast rights. They showed a lot of niche stuff and were the absolute go-to source for news about sports. If the network really wanted to they could probably do that now, because as much as we tend to hate it there isn't a single show on TV that replicates or beats SportsCenter at what it does.

Although, what would probably happen if ESPN lost broadcast rights is that every day you'd see 16 hours of First Take, Around the Horn, and PTI with eight hours of SportsCenter mixed in.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 31, 2015

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

euphronius posted:

bruh

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Every 2-3 hears I watch a few minutes of SportsCenter and they are showing some tweet on the screen and then arguing about it. They might show a play from a game once in a while

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Every 2-3 hears I watch a few minutes of SportsCenter and they are showing some tweet on the screen and then arguing about it. They might show a play from a game once in a while
And yet people watch it. It baffles me too, but people watch it. It's like First Take getting record-high ratings last month.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN did pretty drat well in the late 1980s and early 1990s without a lot of broadcast rights. They showed a lot of niche stuff and were the absolute go-to source for news about sports. If the network really wanted to they could probably do that now, because as much as we tend to hate it there isn't a single show on TV that replicates or beats SportsCenter at what it does.

Except that was awesome in 1993 because it was 1993 and it was hard to get all that stuff anywhere else. Now ESPN wouldn't at all be unique without either broadcasting rights or well-funded, longform journalism.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

smart people dont spend money on television or digital properties because they know how to get them for free so the market corrects to the lowest common denominator

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
at least they aren't cover pro-wrestling

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Crazy Ted posted:

Although, what would probably happen if ESPN lost broadcast rights is that every day you'd see 16 hours of First Take, Around the Horn, and PTI with eight hours of SportsCenter mixed in.

Why should I watch sports center when the app gives me everything the big show does, just minus catchphrases?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

smart people dont spend money on television or digital properties because they know how to get them for free so the market corrects to the lowest common denominator

True. I havent owned a TV in years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Why should I watch sports center when the app gives me everything the big show does, just minus catchphrases?
We don't watch it, but there's plenty of people who still do.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

African AIDS cum posted:

But that's not Embracing Debate (tm)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Remember that time ESPN dedicated an entire episode of SportsCenter to Tim Tebow's birthday even though he wasn't a starting quarterback anymore?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember that time ESPN dedicated an entire episode of SportsCenter to Tim Tebow's birthday even though he wasn't a starting quarterback anymore?
lol target audience bullseye

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
"ppl fourget" the reason PFTCommenter works so well.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

at least they aren't cover pro-wrestling

simmons would have loved this

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/ric-flairs-legacy-be-documented-espns-30-30-200701?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

C. Everett Koop posted:

Let's see how things are going at Grantland these days...https://twitter.com/HollyAnderson/status/660133606883487744

I don't really know who these people are but it looks like supposed professional writers acting like teenagers.

Is that sorta right?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Chromatic posted:

I don't really know who these people are but it looks like supposed professional writers acting like teenagers.

Is that sorta right?

That's twitter, yes.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Holly Anderson is cool but that looks really bad. Yikes.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
More like sports journalism in the year 2015 where they all seem to have this massive urge to make themselves part of the story.

All I hear from Jason Whitlock anymore is him feuding with former employers. Those 2 deadspin articles tearing him apart were fantastic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

straight up brolic posted:

Wisdom right here, boys

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Jason Whitlock was never anything else than a self centred blow hard. Mentioning his name and journalism in the same city is generous.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

C. Everett Koop posted:

"ppl fourget" the reason PFTCommenter works so well.

The rise of PFTCommenter makes all of ESPN's hot take factories irrelevant.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I can't tell what is more ridiculous:

Feeling sorry for a company that laid off 5% of their workforce 3 weeks ago because 4 employees, not under contract in any way, left without notice. These employees would all be unemployed today anyway since they were at Grantland not under contract (they were at will).
or
Placing faith in a single unnamed source in a Greg Howard piece that reads (and might be) like a ghostwritten ESPN press release.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Greg Howard might actually be retarded. Horrible writer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope Deadspin's next tbh

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Alain Post posted:

I hope Deadspin's next tbh

Isnt Hulk Hogan going to bankrupt Gawker? God willing

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

African AIDS cum posted:

Isnt Hulk Hogan going to bankrupt Gawker? God willing

I can't wait to see what the discovery finds.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

I can't tell what is more ridiculous:

Feeling sorry for a company that laid off 5% of their workforce 3 weeks ago because 4 employees, not under contract in any way, left without notice. These employees would all be unemployed today anyway since they were at Grantland not under contract (they were at will).
or
Placing faith in a single unnamed source in a Greg Howard piece that reads (and might be) like a ghostwritten ESPN press release.

If those employees gave notice, they would not be unemployed today because they would have quit at the exact same time earlier to go join Simmons and would currently be with Simmons. The only difference would be the notice given before they left weeks ago. Goons have grown up in some crazy hostile work atmospheres where giving notice before you leave is equivalent to being a company shill/apologist and where its corporate brainwashing to consider it crappy your coworkers have to do your work for weeks just to make your new boss happy for his personal grudge when all you need to do to avoid that is simply inform you're leaving. Or somehow its assumed giving notice means staying past your intended last day as opposed to leaving that exact same last day like you always intended and just simply informing its happening, not intentionally keeping it secret because your new boss demanded it out of pettiness.

For the record, I don't feel "sorry" for ESPN at all. That doesn't change how screwed over the former Grantland workers get when they are caught in crossfire between some ridiculous blood feud.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not saying I have any idea what ESPN would have done, and YMMV, but overwhelmingly the experience of me and everyone I know is if you give your employer 2 weeks notice the employer will immediately terminate and your former co-workers will be screwed anyway. HR departments are usually super paranoid about having workers around they know have already accepted a job from another company.

If this is actually true then I suppose you are right that YMMV, it's certainly not something I or anyone I know has experienced. I personally find it hard to believe ESPN would respond to notice by immediate termination, which seems ridiculous and implies the day-to-day job those editors did were non-important/worthless. Maybe they were, IDK.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 31, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Not saying I have any idea what ESPN would have done, and YMMV, but overwhelmingly the experience of me and everyone I know is if you give your employer 2 weeks notice the employer will immediately terminate and your former co-workers will be screwed anyway. HR departments are usually super paranoid about having workers around they know have already accepted a job from another company.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Parlett316 posted:

I can't wait to see what the discovery finds.

The pivotal moment will be when they measure, under oath, the Hulkster's pythons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Do you work blue collar? This has not been my experience in white collar work, but I've never had to leave a job in bad terms so I always have given 2 weeks notice, and this has always been with at will employment.