Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDgTV8q5Cw
Cook kits can be hilariously light. That's my setup, and I do all freezer bag cooking so it just needs to boil 12-16oz of water. These days use aluminum flashing for a windscreen and a strip of silicone for a hot pad.

My heavyweight version is a Starlyte stove from Zelph and a 900ml Ti pot, and its still only 6ish oz.

These meals rule
http://andrewskurka.com/section/how-to/food-nutrition/meal-recipes/
and adapt to freezer bag rehydrating well.

This is super cool.

Stoves aren't where the lion's share of the weight is coming from. I, too, have just under 30lbs of gear I've elected to take with me including a 3oz pocket rocket and a 13oz can of fuel and even so, it's only a pound there. I see the "gimmick" stoves like the beer can stove one in the video and the cat food can burner as more of a proof of concept and for people who just really like making their own gear, and that's perfectly valid. If I want to save a pound, I have four pounds of purely luxury items I could cut, but I don't because 30lbs isn't slowing me down right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Hungryjack posted:

This is super cool.

Stoves aren't where the lion's share of the weight is coming from. I, too, have just under 30lbs of gear I've elected to take with me including a 3oz pocket rocket and a 13oz can of fuel and even so, it's only a pound there. I see the "gimmick" stoves like the beer can stove one in the video and the cat food can burner as more of a proof of concept and for people who just really like making their own gear, and that's perfectly valid. If I want to save a pound, I have four pounds of purely luxury items I could cut, but I don't because 30lbs isn't slowing me down right now.

It's also so you can exactly control how much fuel you're carrying to save weight (as opposed to canisters where you usually end up with a part used one) and the "stoves" are a bit lighter than canister stoves.

And when people are trying to save as much weight as possible a couple of oz's is pretty good savings since they've already done away with luxury items

I need to find a dog sitter and get up to Yosemite in the next couple of weeks before it gets a bit too cold

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

deong posted:

I've only gone a few times. I need to figure out weight poo poo, cuz wtf is this 12lb bag stuff? I think mine comes down to cooking stuff. But I'm at like 30lb.
I really want to get into bikecamping, and everything crosses over except the pack obv.

Perfect, our poo poo weights like 30 lbs as well. :v:

Plus we are out of shape as hell.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I want to hike with my dog but he's old so I need a pack that can also carry him when he's tired :(

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Suicide Watch posted:

I want to hike with my dog but he's old so I need a pack that can also carry him when he's tired :(

I also wish my dog could hike with me, but she is 14 and sleeps most of the day. So she only comes on car trips. The good news is that I may be getting another dog soon who is a younger working breed and would love to go for a hike.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I will say this. The difference between a 20 pound pack and a 30 pound pack is kind of amazing. You wouldn't think that 10 pounds is all that much, especially if you are in shape, but its no joke.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

cheese posted:

I will say this. The difference between a 20 pound pack and a 30 pound pack is kind of amazing. You wouldn't think that 10 pounds is all that much, especially if you are in shape, but its no joke.

It's enough to make one think about how much easier hikes would be if you went on a diet for 3-6 months and lost and kept off 10 pounds. Of course, a beer or two is also enough to remind you how delicious one beer more would be, and those are two counterproductive feelings so this is a big struggle for me

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

cheese posted:

And over here im thinking about how nice it was to go from 70 to 50 over a few years of buying stuff. I don't even think people with less than 30 lb packs should be allowed to say they're backpacking :colbert:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mastershakeman posted:

And over here im thinking about how nice it was to go from 70 to 50 over a few years of buying stuff. I don't even think people with less than 30 lb packs should be allowed to say they're backpacking :colbert:

What do (don't) you have at 70 pounds? I assume you have to have an old school external frame pack to get that much stuff on your back?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Vomik posted:

What do (don't) you have at 70 pounds? I assume you have to have an old school external frame pack to get that much stuff on your back?

I have an old external frame hunting pack that is awesome. I've hauled out quartered dear and full gear with the thing. I use it when I'm training for a big hike in the winter months. I'm the oddball wearing a pack with 50 pounds of barbell weights doing the stairmaster at the gym.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

gohuskies posted:

It's enough to make one think about how much easier hikes would be if you went on a diet for 3-6 months and lost and kept off 10 pounds. Of course, a beer or two is also enough to remind you how delicious one beer more would be, and those are two counterproductive feelings so this is a big struggle for me

I don't have 10 lbs to lose so it's reduce equipment weight or gtfo

But for real 70 lbs is crazy were you carrying a six person tent and a full table and dining set? Something like 45 lbs was near my max for a week when I didn't pay attention to weight that much. Not actually a criticism just interested, though I think you might have answered this before

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I remember someone carries a hatchet, was that you mastershakeman?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I went through and built a list of the stuff I like to take with me. I didn't bother to omit anything for the purpose of ultralight hiking, but I did put the less necessary items into their own category. In fact, none of my gear is really ultralight. It's on the light/average side with a few exceptions.

http://lighterpack.com/r/8b7u6f

Pack weight (no food, no water): 29lbs. Take out the luxury items, the hammock option (which is redundant if I'm bringing a tent) and the cold/wet weather clothing because the vast majority of my camping is hot and dry, and my pack weight is well under 20lbs. That's reasonably light.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have an old external frame hunting pack that is awesome. I've hauled out quartered dear and full gear with the thing. I use it when I'm training for a big hike in the winter months. I'm the oddball wearing a pack with 50 pounds of barbell weights doing the stairmaster at the gym.

My wife has been walking the dogs around our neighborhood wearing her Osprey Aura 50 with 40lbs of rock salt in it. The struggle is real.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vomik posted:

My external frame 130L is a mere 4.5lbs! The 70lb loadout was due to only having winter gear for a long while before I finally got summer stuff too. I need to start from the bottom up rather than top down in getting to 30 though because it feels like all my better stuff is still way too heavy (a lot of it being rei brand). And yea the hatchet is heavy, but at least I stopped carrying the metal shovel. Was really used to canoe trips in boy scouts where weigjt was irrelevant.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So I know it was mentioned previously but can't find it now. Looking for anti-chaffing/blistering powder/cream. I think it was this monkey butt brand stuff?

What's your preferred method of not having the skin of your inner thighs grind off while hiking?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I wear these. Works great for me. I also carry some gold-bond powder in case of emergency but I haven't had to use it since I switched to the briefs linked above. I hike mostly in non-humid areas so that might have something to do with it too.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

So I know it was mentioned previously but can't find it now. Looking for anti-chaffing/blistering powder/cream. I think it was this monkey butt brand stuff?

What's your preferred method of not having the skin of your inner thighs grind off while hiking?

I like Underarmour 6" boxer briefs. They also make a 9" length. Alternately, tri shorts work, but some people are weird about tight-fitting clothes as the outside layer. But that worked for me through 24+ hour hikes in the past with no chafing.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

I like Underarmour 6" boxer briefs. They also make a 9" length. Alternately, tri shorts work, but some people are weird about tight-fitting clothes as the outside layer. But that worked for me through 24+ hour hikes in the past with no chafing.

Adidas makes Climalite branded underwear that are almost identical, but they are half the price.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Apprentice Dick posted:

Adidas makes Climalite branded underwear that are almost identical, but they are half the price.

Good to know. I'll look into those. I think Costco sells the Adidas in a three pack sometimes. If those are the same ones, then yes they're a lot cheaper and functionally identical.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bodyglide all the way. Best anti-chafing there is.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Bodyglide all the way. Best anti-chafing there is.

Bodyglide is good. Skinsake is better in several ways.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Every running short I tried gave me chaffing issues even with body glide, then I bought a pair of 2XU shorts for my first triathlon and they are my holy grail for running. So nice.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

I wear these. Works great for me. I also carry some gold-bond powder in case of emergency but I haven't had to use it since I switched to the briefs linked above. I hike mostly in non-humid areas so that might have something to do with it too.

These are also my choice.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Exoficcio underwear are one of the things that really enlightened me. I don't know where they put the stink but it doesn't stay in there.

Also how do you have 70lbs if you aren't carrying a quartered deer? That's double what I take and I'm no minimalist. Most is my gear isn't too of the line weight weenie gear or anything.

Mountainsmith 60L pack, rei passage 2 tent, rei down 15 degree bag, big agnes pad, steel cooking pot, long underwear, two pairs of socks, underwear and one change of clothes, first aid, compass/map/knife/headlamp. I switched out my msr whisper lite stove and fuel can for a pocket rocket saving a bunch of weight and bulk. I also went with a smaller camera (Sony rx100 vs canon 50d/lenses) which made life 10x mode enjoyable.

I've got my gear down under 30 before food and water and often steady at 30-35lbs for a 5-7 day trip. But now I have dog food and sleeping bag (he's a short haired breed) to take up that new found space. The dog will force a few extra pounds until he's big enough to carry his own poo poo but that makes up for having a warm buddy to snuggle that won't look at you funny in the morning.

I just picked up a synthetic north face kids 20° bag for $40 that is basically new. He loves it.

By far the easiest way to lose weight, move closer to the mountains so that you don't need to go for 5-10 days at a time.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 30, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Verman posted:

By far the easiest way to lose weight, move closer to the mountains so that you don't need to go for 5-10 days at a time.

I gotta find some places closer than the Sierra for some overnight trips around here since it takes like 4 hours to get to the mountains...but I do love the mountains so much

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I have only ever seen these Champion Boxer Breifs at target, but they are super comfy, wick well, dry fast and have become my daily brief. The package even says ultralight right on it, so really they are perfect for backpacking. The only downside is no fly, but the "pouch" is double layered so I have though about adding my own.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

My only gripe with the Champions is that they are a poly-cotton blend with 59% cotton so once they get sweaty, they aren't going to dry out again anytime soon. The Adidas are 80/20 polyester/spandex and the UnderArmour are 91% poly according to the label. The UA are also a lot more expensive as someone else pointed out. If you can get a good line on the Adidas, I think you get the best bang for your buck.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I went with some merino boxer briefs that have worked well...Stoic brand from backcountry. They're pretty long down the legs and all but no real complaints about them. They dry out well enough in the sun, don't smell much, comfortable, etc. No problems with chaffing but mostly this is in dry areas

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The Champions I linked aren't the normal ones, they are 91% Nylon and 9% spandex, and like I said, seem to only be available at target. They aren't even on the Champion website.
Having a blend with spandex is pretty key, loose fabric is the normal cause of chafing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have to find some nice light lady undies that will prevent my hiking pants from destroying the insides of my thighs if I ever end up drenched again. I hiked 13km in sleet and rain and there was a spot on each leg that had been rubbed completely raw oozing plasma. I should have dealt with it on the way out but by the time the pain got severe I was less than a half hour from our car so I just kept marching. Big mistake. Don't do that. Not worth it.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Hiked up Wheeler Peak in Nevada. First time above 13000 feet. Sadly this was also the last time I'd be able to bag any real mountains as I'm now in a much flatter state. Honestly it's probably for the best. My right leg got hosed up this year from falls I took. The scars are gruesome.

On my way across the country I stumbled across a state highpoint so there's that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh man you moved to Iowa? Jesus Christ I'm sorry.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Verman posted:

There are parts that can be cool. Mostly the westward limit of the Driftless zone up in NE Iowa. Not proper mountains but still a beautiful area, more rolling hills and scenic river valleys. Thats about it though unless you like prairies, which are cool, but get old after a while.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Finding out about lighterpack thanks to you guys was a blessing and a curse. This isn't everything as I need to weigh a few odds and ends but covers the bases pretty well.

Also, ramen is rubbish as camp carbs, rice noodles all the way.

http://lighterpack.com/r/fo8m3g

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Verman posted:

No, but it was on the way to Minneapolis.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

gohuskies posted:

This is 100% true and my primary motivation for some serious fitness goals this winter.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Ended up grabbing some Reebok 10$ nylon boxers. They worked pretty well but rode up after a while and my thunder thighs started rubbing. On the whole they worked well, though. Might look into 9" versions.

Did a nice 12 mile hike today in Wharton State Forest to check out the route for the backpacking trip I am taking my scout troop on in a couple weeks. It was a perfect day for hiking in the Pine Barrens.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The Under Armor Boxerjocks are honestly worth the 25 bucks or whatever.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I have to find some nice light lady undies that will prevent my hiking pants from destroying the insides of my thighs if I ever end up drenched again. I hiked 13km in sleet and rain and there was a spot on each leg that had been rubbed completely raw oozing plasma. I should have dealt with it on the way out but by the time the pain got severe I was less than a half hour from our car so I just kept marching. Big mistake. Don't do that. Not worth it.

My gf just wears a pair of my exoffico boxer briefs when we hike, it seems to work well for her as they come down her thighs pretty far. What she cant find are hiking pants that fit her like at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

cheese posted:

The Under Armor Boxerjocks are honestly worth the 25 bucks or whatever.

$20 and yes I agree