Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I like the idea of the first one, with a compared pre- and post-armageddon skyline, but it needs to be in literally any other style than lovely Minimalist. It's like a poor man's South Park, even earnest South Park would be able to pull it off better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Happy...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can never decide if this one is great or crap.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's extremely good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In some ways it is, but it also kinda looks like whoever made it had no idea what the movie was about.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's almost time, kids. The clock is ticking. Be in front of your TV sets for the Horrorthon, and remember the Big Giveaway at 9:00. Don't miss it. And don't forget to wear your masks. The clock is ticking. It's almost time!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Lurdiak posted:

In some ways it is, but it also kinda looks like whoever made it had no idea what the movie was about.

Stabbing. It's great.

On my last watch of the greatest Slasher of all time, I noticed how nice the shot of the Pheonix kids on a hillside was. Good to see it made the poster.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Terminator Genisys: it's not just crap, it's helicopter crap.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If anyone here hasn't seen Halloween 3 you should rectify that.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I can never decide if this one is great or crap.

That knife is hella wonky.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It show someone holding a knife on halloween. I'd say that he knew exactly what the movie was about.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Or what pumpkins look like.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Unbelievably dumb nitpicking: the thread.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gonz posted:

It's almost time, kids. The clock is ticking. Be in front of your TV sets for the Horrorthon, and remember the Big Giveaway at 9:00. Don't miss it. And don't forget to wear your masks. The clock is ticking. It's almost time!

Dammit, now the song's stuck in my head again. Thanks a lot! :argh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The song's in my head and I haven't even seen the movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dammit, now the song's stuck in my head again. Thanks a lot! :argh:

Lol if that "oompah oompah oompah oompah oompah oompah oompah oompah" isn't just in your head 24/7 and it's causing your mind and body intense stress and suffering.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-uC0LDllM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This series started out so good. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

This series started out so good. :(

And in the final analysis, it's the worst of the big three by a country mile.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Every Jason movie is perfect.

Freddy has 3 solid movies and a Jason assist, plus an ironically perfect iconic gay film.

Halloween has 1 masterpiece, a decent sequel, an amazing sequel that has nothing to do with Mike, and a geyser of poo poo.

Texas Chainsaw has one great film, a batshit 4th film that nearly destroyed Matthew McConaughey, and a competent remake.

Chucky started weak but peaked at the doll sex scene from Bride.

Hellraiser went from classic to poo poo instantly.

Poltergeist has the best first film followed by the absolute worst sequels and remakes of all the franchises.

Saw is consistently dumb as dog poo poo but entertaining.

Paranormal Activity is a dumpster fire from start to finish.

I've never seen a Leprechaun movie but I'm sure I'm not missing out.

House of 1000 Corpses is so loving weird and dumb it's almost experimental, but The Devil's Rejects may be the strongest "sequel that's better than the first" in film history.

This is probably the worst nitpick goon list ever written but it started strong with a flawless opening.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hellbound is a solid film, but the rest of the Hellraiser series after it are varying degrees of poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Texas Chainsaw has one great film, a batshit 4th film that nearly destroyed Matthew McConaughey, and a competent remake.

No mention of the second movie which is good but completely insane, and has Dennis Hopper going nuts with two chainsaws. The original is a classic but I love the second one despite being a total departure.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

Halloween has 1 masterpiece, a decent sequel, an amazing sequel that has nothing to do with Mike, and a geyser of poo poo.

For the longest time, I thought I was the only one who liked Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch. :unsmith:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What was the deal with like every horror poster from like 197...5? to `90 or so being a black background with a single object on it (sometimes bloody) and the title in some weirdass font? Like, I get that a successful formula breeds imitators, but goddamn, that was a period where lazy horror poster designers were making bank for less effort than one of these photoshopped rom-com nightmares takes.

e: I get that there's a lot of posters that aren't like that, but it was definitely a trend.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Young Freud posted:

For the longest time, I thought I was the only one who liked Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch. :unsmith:

Yeah, Halloween 3 kicks rear end. I'm glad more people seem to be warming up to it as time goes on and the sting of being a Halloween movie with no Michael Meyers fades.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Young Freud posted:

No way man. Halloween 3 is the best of the Halloween movies. Hell, I even showed it to my mom last year and she loved it, and she generally hates horror movies (although I think that's because she got a kick of how fast the women hopped into bed with Tom Atkins so soon after meeting him).

I saw it when I pretty young as well, and for a while just hearing the Silver Shamrock theme gave me nightmares.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

No mention of the second movie which is good but completely insane, and has Dennis Hopper going nuts with two chainsaws. The original is a classic but I love the second one despite being a total departure.

It is a terrible film, and it's boring as poo poo for like an hour+, but yeah, that last like 15 minutes where it ramps up into crazy town makes it totally worth seeing at least once.

And I despised Halloween 3 as a teen because "rarg no Michael blargh", but I watched it again about 3 or 4 years ago and god drat it really is so much loving fun and everyone that hates it needs to seriously get over it.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 31, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was under the impression that Halloween 3 was bad. Is that just people salty that it didn't have Mike in it?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Waffleman_ posted:

I was under the impression that Halloween 3 was bad. Is that just people salty that it didn't have Mike in it?

If it was titled "Behind the Mask" or some poo poo it would be regarded one of the best weird horror movies ever, along with Wicker Man.

It's purely the "NO MIKE" that makes it a hated film.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

If it was titled "Behind the Mask" or some poo poo it would be regarded one of the best weird horror movies ever, along with Wicker Man.

It would have been great if Carpenter had more of a hand in the film. The Celtic conspiracy angle feels like it's more appropriate for something like the oft-kilter reality of They Live or Prince Of Darkness than the rest of Halloween.

Also, Nigel Kneale of the Quartermass fame was responsible for the script, but was so dismayed at the sex and violence in the final cut of the movie that he asked Wallace and Carpenter to remove his name the credits.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Poster for the IMAX screening of The Martian.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
So I missed like 10,000 pages of this thread but hey what do you know - turns out minimalism is still in vogue. :shepicide:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dr. Killjoy posted:

So I missed like 10,000 pages of this thread but hey what do you know - turns out minimalism is still in vogue. :shepicide:

That looks like it's riffing on a specific type of travel poster, though. I don't know if there's a name for them, but my local train line has a ton of vintage posters like that:

http://imgur.com/BUJxk1D

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The first Paranormal Activity was good c'mon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rochallor posted:

That looks like it's riffing on a specific type of travel poster, though. I don't know if there's a name for them, but my local train line has a ton of vintage posters like that:

http://imgur.com/BUJxk1D

Yeah, it's a common style for vintage travel posters. And very often riffed on. Hell, NASA made these a few months ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Competent my rear end.

Waffleman_ posted:

It sucks. It's the kind of poo poo that some people enjoy, though. It's crazy poo poo, not dull poo poo. But it's not a good film at all.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Young Freud posted:

No loving way. It is my absolute favorite of the series.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wait, which Wicker Man? Cuz I wouldn't at all consider the orignal weird unless weird horror is itself a subgenre. Now I kinda wanna see if there are any good posters for it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Halloween 3 is genuinely great and would be a big cult classic if not for the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

The first Paranormal Activity was good c'mon.

Good god no. It wasn't. At all.

Edit: also what turns me off about that IMAX Martian poster is the similar composition and color tone to the Star Wars one.