Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Hello gentlemen I'm visiting from GBS please examine my credentials:

I come here from the future to warn you all that the Speed challenge is the biggest pile of loving bullshit I've seen outside of getting The Lost through The Dark Room before the Afterbirth era.

Got it on the first floor through a red chest teleport (hnnngggggggg) and then ran into a room of bumrushing invisible men and spikes GG Issac thanks a lot, I almost got a half a shot off before they beat me to death.

After beating Mom's Foot with three minutes left and my heart pounding, then finding out I needed to go further, I'm praying for Curse Room > Devil Room > Guppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

nogic posted:

There are some challenges that seem to try to keep you from bypassing them. Like the Pride Day challenge, it wouldn't let me pick up another trinket, although that might be a feature of the rainbow worm trinket (but I doubt it?).

Nope, the challenge has a modifier that prevents you from dropping trinkets. You could get the item that lets you carry 2 trinkets, but whatever you picked up next you'd also be stuck with.

That being said, I found Pride Day fairly simple. Onan's Streak is a bag of dicks though.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So far I'd say I like Afterbirth overall, but it seems really lopsided and unpolished. The challenges vary from interesting (Onan's Streak) to tedious (XXXXXXXXL and Blue Bomber) to just plain terrible (The Guardian, Brains! and Speed!).
The new items are almost all pretty neat from my experience with a few pointless ones but that's not too surprising. I like all the new floor/enemy types pretty much but some of the small rooms are just outright unfair. At least the new super boss is an interesting challenge if only due to some weird hp gating mechanic that won't let you just one shot it like mega satan. Really hope that we get some polishing patches over the next few months cause it definitely needs it.
Also it seems like clearing greed mode on a character gives you a permanent chance to get luck up when picking up money? At least I'm assuming that's what triggers that.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 1, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Beat the Guardian (Book of Revelations, Gimpy, and Dark Lipstick for maximum hearts) and I would like it if it weren't for the complete inability to control it. I once died because it just wander over the spikes in a sacrifice room.

EDIT: Forgot Nightlight, which really helps with enemies that chase the heart.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 1, 2015

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
It's a small thing, but I like that the challenges now show the final boss of the challenge on the status bar next to the "no achievements" icon.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I started off with the challenges so I could get all the painfully unfun bullshit out of the way before playing the rest of the dlc. Has anyone found any tricks to beating the bullshit challenges yet?

I despise Bob's Brain with a passion and I can't possibly understand why Edmund thought anyone would want more of it

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Did they end up doing much with the sacrifice rooms in Afterbirth? I thought I remember them saying they wanted to change them up, but I've still not had much cause to use them so I have not noticed anything new or different.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tetracube posted:

I despise Bob's Brain with a passion and I can't possibly understand why Edmund thought anyone would want more of it

It was a suggestion taken from Reddit.

graynull posted:

Did they end up doing much with the sacrifice rooms in Afterbirth? I thought I remember them saying they wanted to change them up, but I've still not had much cause to use them so I have not noticed anything new or different.

Some of what's said/shown before release doesn't really make it into the game sometimes. Butter Bean was supposed to knock away bullets and projectiles as well, but that got taken out for some reason.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ughhh, lost The Guardian right on It Lives. I wish this stupid fucker would stop walking to damage. Also, having the child's heart take multiple hits from the white skulls while they were in the process of despawning/dying is bullshit.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Do bosses just not drop hearts anymore on hard? Its kind of demoralizing fighting an even tougher version of Dingle on the first floor and getting jack-poo poo to heal with after.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Tetracube posted:

I started off with the challenges so I could get all the painfully unfun bullshit out of the way before playing the rest of the dlc. Has anyone found any tricks to beating the bullshit challenges yet?

How to beat Brains!
Reset until you get lucky on floor 1 or 2 and get a candle or something from the shop. I got super lucky and put together a tammy's head murder run from the first floor onwards.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Disclaimer: I literally had not started to fight a single wave before I had this fully set up. Greed mode is ridiculous!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So what's the deal with yellow soul hearts?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Testekill posted:

So what's the deal with yellow soul hearts?

When you lose them, money explodes out of you. However, unlike greed-related damage, this doesn't remove the coins from your total so you can just pick them up with no penalty.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

When you lose them, money explodes out of you. However, unlike greed-related damage, this doesn't remove the coins from your total so you can just pick them up with no penalty.

Oh, I didn't know if I just got stupidly lucky with piggy bank and another thing when it activated.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
You know I like the effects of Death's Touch, but every single time I pick it up I end up not being able to see anything I'm doing at some point. Just interferes with your vision way too much. Also the new technology that lets you charge and shoot out laser disks is pretty awesome and powerful.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I've done it, I've cleared out all of the lost related unlocks yet again, now to never touch this useless jerk again. Admittedly the D4 and spectral tears help a lot to make it just that little bit more playable.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh. I was only getting 2 when I used it. I was using Lilith in Greed Mode. Maybe that had something to do with it. Speaking of Greed Mode:

:toot: Hoo boy. Now I never have to do that again! Epic Fetus + Polyphemus + Magic Mushroom + Ipecac + Mr. Mega + Mutant Spider + lots of other damage increases = ...not actually doing that much to Ultra Greed. :geno: Daddy Long Legs was doing almost as much damage as my missile barrages. Oh well, at least that combination was helpful for everything else. Don't be afraid to stop the waves if you need to. That the Lost's biggest advantage over the other characters here.

That definitely confirms that it's based on hits. Epic Fetus/Ipecac shots do 800 damage before adding all the other damage stuff you got.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Greed Mode very quickly devolves into pure nonsense once you get the portable blood bank. My bombs burst into multiple bombs and every explosion fills the screen with brimstone. Also I'm basically invulnerable for some reason and can no longer take any damage.

Edit:

dude789 posted:

That definitely confirms that it's based on hits. Epic Fetus/Ipecac shots do 800 damage before adding all the other damage stuff you got.

Yeah, I just fought him with my stupid amount of items and was doing relatively pitiable amounts of damage. But then my flies actually reached him and he died in a flash.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 1, 2015

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say Afterbirth feels really unpolished. Game crashes and bugs, and really poor design decisions. Some boss attacks in the thin rooms are completely impossible to dodge. What did they balance the expansion around? Maybe it'll get better with patches. Thank goodness Steam lets you disable DLC.

They clearly didn't :ssh:

While Edmund says that he dislikes RNG, everything points to the opposite. The base game (Rebirth) could almost have been fair with just a handful of tweaks to rooms and enemies but instead of fixing even the most basic unfair bugs (enemies shooting with no animation and no sound) we got this expansion which greatly expanded the amount of unavoidable damage and literally run ending scenarios while also including a huge amount of ways to completely break the game.

Greed mode is a great example, you might get this;

Dammerung posted:

Disclaimer: I literally had not started to fight a single wave before I had this fully set up. Greed mode is ridiculous!

Or you might get wave after wave of enemies like the ghosts that might just stay offscreen until the next wave spawns, over and over until you're in a deathpit.

The game is still fun, but it's hardly skill based. I'll probably keep a non-steam version of Rebirth on my computer for when I don't feel like walking into tiny rooms with TNT-lined walls and angel bosses.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Samsons Greed Mode unlock is essentially the original Bloody Lust. I'm glad that they bought back that effect, it seems like it'll be pretty drat good in Greed mode.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
On the other hand, the increased RNG means perma-scrubs like me can get carried more often. :downs:

I might even try unlocking The Lost and scumming for gamebreaker setups. I'd love to get those Lost items.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

dude789 posted:

I have to second this, to an extent. The build that I got had just about every fire rate improving item you could have (except for cancer), and it still took three minutes for me to kill Ultra Greed. I was honestly surprised!

Your Computer posted:

While Edmund says that he dislikes RNG, everything points to the opposite.

And I agree with this as well. Challenges like Speed! and The Guardian can easily become unwinnable without the right items, or with some strangely balanced (or rather, unbalanced) rooms.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
SO

Godhead + Sticky Bombs + that cluster bomb thing + Sad Bombs + that bomber man thing + Rubber Cement + Scythes + autofiring + 20/20 + some other poo poo

equals: 1. Can never ever see anything because your screen is so full of effects and you can't stop firing
2. Killing Ultra Greed instantly. Looks like being unstoppably broken is still in!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Power of Pecota posted:

Does anyone know what the Game Breaking Bug item does?

It's a familiar like peep's eye that bounces around the room and does damage to things it passes through. It also applied fear, though I don't know if that's native or if it was coming from something else I had at the time.

Ashsaber posted:

So, new Angel Room thing: two locked blue/white chests that act like gold chests, but respawn a few seconds after opening several times or until you get a gold chest item. I don't know the limit, or anything else, only seen it once so far.

I found one and was able to use it five times before it didn't close itself again.

I was also doing really well with the Guardian challenge earlier today, but then the punching bag guy walked onto a set of spike and I instantly took 4 hearts of damage and died. Full health to dead instantly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Your Computer posted:

They clearly didn't :ssh:

While Edmund says that he dislikes RNG, everything points to the opposite. The base game (Rebirth) could almost have been fair with just a handful of tweaks to rooms and enemies but instead of fixing even the most basic unfair bugs (enemies shooting with no animation and no sound) we got this expansion which greatly expanded the amount of unavoidable damage and literally run ending scenarios while also including a huge amount of ways to completely break the game.

Greed mode is a great example, you might get this;

Or you might get wave after wave of enemies like the ghosts that might just stay offscreen until the next wave spawns, over and over until you're in a deathpit.

The game is still fun, but it's hardly skill based. I'll probably keep a non-steam version of Rebirth on my computer for when I don't feel like walking into tiny rooms with TNT-lined walls and angel bosses.

Yeah, Afterbirth isn't bad, but boy does it need more polishing. It's just unbalanced on both ends of the spectrum. Like the IV Bag in Greed Mode is a massive oversight and barely takes any effort to exploit the game mode there. Where breaking runs took a bit more effort to set up before. And like you said, you just get stuff like even more unavoidable damage. Mulliboom mobs are really terrible to deal with, especially in a thin room. Kind of wish they spent more time cleaning up the game before releasing it.

Oh by the way, you can actually disable the Afterbirth DLC in Steam and just play the regular Rebirth game there.

Nighthand posted:

It's a familiar like peep's eye that bounces around the room and does damage to things it passes through. It also applied fear, though I don't know if that's native or if it was coming from something else I had at the time.

Game Breaking Bug applies a random status effect to whatever it hits.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I beat the Guardian in my first run. Lucky me I suppose.

Also beat Greed mode with The Lost. Ipecac + Epic Fetus + Gnawed Leaf and a couple of orbitals really helps. Also had a 1up along with Holy Mantle.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, Afterbirth isn't bad, but boy does it need more polishing. It's just unbalanced on both ends of the spectrum. Like the IV Bag in Greed Mode is a massive oversight and barely takes any effort to exploit the game mode there. Where breaking runs took a bit more effort to set up before. And like you said, you just get stuff like even more unavoidable damage. Mulliboom mobs are really terrible to deal with, especially in a thin room. Kind of wish they spent more time cleaning up the game before releasing it.

Oh by the way, you can actually disable the Afterbirth DLC in Steam and just play the regular Rebirth game there.

Part of my point is that I don't think they want to "polish" it. Stuff like the unwinnable challenges maybe, but not stuff like tiny murder rooms or "don't have flight? Take damage" rooms. They consciously put those in the game, rooms like this:

It's clear what they want the game to be, and it's just sad that it's completely different from the stuff I enjoy about the game. Then again, Edmund has to be completely bonkers to think that 1) that room should be in the game and 2) that The Lost is the best character. In a game with that room.

e: How's that disable work anyway? What about savefiles, does it keep separate files for Rebirth and Afterbirth? I guess that would make sense considering the save import, huh.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Managed to beat the brains challenge on my first try, but then, I kinda like bob's brain in the first place. It doesn't have a random glitch delay like some people complain about, it just has a bit of delay on entering a room and upon spawn so you don't hit yourself if you pay attention.

Of course I didn't beat it alone. Early on getting bff helped. Then I almost died in the cathedral. Then Cambrian conception triggered and I got Lilith's familiar, allowing me to shoot. Turns out I had a lot of damage.

Then the chest gave me the soul, and the host hat, which I read makes you immune to explosions, but I don't think I got hit again to test it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ErIog posted:

I keep getting murdered by Steven.

I beat Speed by getting lucky with itams. But yeah ran into steven once, tried fighting for a little bit, then just put the controller down on the desk and watched him kill me.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Whoever it was that referred to the smaller rooms as "gently caress closets" was on point. I had to fight Wrath in one, with TNT barrels on either side.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Waffle! posted:

Whoever it was that referred to the smaller rooms as "gently caress closets" was on point. I had to fight Wrath in one, with TNT barrels on either side.

I had a War fight in a normal sized room with multiple explosive barrels. So lucky I managed to kill him before he did his troll bomb spam.

I've also had gently caress Closet fights with Monstro and Death.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I beat Mom's Heart in under 30 minutes and got the special room but whenever I enter it my game crashes :suicide:

EDIT: It's with Eden too

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 1, 2015

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I strongly feel that Bob's Brain is the worst item in the game. Even worst than Soy Milk. Unless you are immune to bombs, Bob's Brain is almost certainly detrimental to your run.

The "Brains!" challenge is not swaying me from that opinion. gently caress "Brains!"

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just picked this up after only playing the original BoI, and it's super fun and a massive improvement. I've unlocked a few dudes, and I just got to Hush with the cat head that gives you 9 lives. Man that fight is pretty bullshit with just one heart. I got him down to about 10% on one of the tries :( I think I could possibly have cheesed it by sitting in a corner and letting Daddy Long Legs stomp him to death, at least until the white lasers start zooming around the place.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bardeh posted:

I just picked this up after only playing the original BoI, and it's super fun and a massive improvement. I've unlocked a few dudes, and I just got to Hush with the cat head that gives you 9 lives. Man that fight is pretty bullshit with just one heart. I got him down to about 10% on one of the tries :( I think I could possibly have cheesed it by sitting in a corner and letting Daddy Long Legs stomp him to death, at least until the white lasers start zooming around the place.
:ssh: You were on the first phase of the fight, which is much much shorter and easier

The Bee posted:

Do bosses just not drop hearts anymore on hard? Its kind of demoralizing fighting an even tougher version of Dingle on the first floor and getting jack-poo poo to heal with after.
"Even tougher"?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

:ssh: You were on the first phase of the fight, which is much much shorter and easier

Really? The first phase was when he was a little baby in the middle, and then he turns into a big throbbing clit with a face shooting balls and flies all over the screen. Is there another phase after that?

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

What have I become?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I'm absolutely loving the glowing hourglass. What a cool concept. I think the 2 room charge makes it a tad overpowered though. Also bob's brain is totally awesome. I take it whenever I see it. I think its killing power outweighs the couple of times it might go off in your face. Once you get used to having it around, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
I found a beneficial bug that I think is specific to the Pay to Play challenge. I found a blue hourglass item in the shop that rewinds a room's worth of progress, but for some reason when I returned to a previous room using it there was inexplicably a ton of money lying on the room's floor. I was able to farm an endless amount of pedestal items in the shop with the help of Restock that way. There were differing amounts of money on the floor so it may have been effected by how much money you've spent somehow, or maybe the large 50 coin starting value.

Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 1, 2015