Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It's got "character."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The character being a skeleton masturbating in a metal filing cabinet of course :v:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I love the first 10 minutes of a winter morning commute spent in horror and hoping the bad noises go away. It's part of the subaru charm.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My favorite game is playing "is that you, rod knock?" on cold winter mornings.

This weekend hopefully I'll have time to finish putting the foz together and storage prep the Baja. Thinking fuel stabilizer, fill the tank with shell 91 (no ethanol) and put it up on stands. Anything else I should consider for a winter storage?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Make sure there's fresh-ish oil in everything. Pool ph test strips are great for this. If any fluids come out acidic, change it prior to storage.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Between my constant loving around and my overzealous oil change interval (playing it safe since 'turbo' and I like to drive aggressively at times, the AP no lift shift feature is a favorite of mine) so the oil is pretty fresh, and the rest of the fluids are fairly new too. Didn't know about the pool pH testing strips, thanks for that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So... It turns out that the noisiness in the previous video is not from just an exhaust leak and the general Subaru charm.

It looks like the Auto and Manual starters are actually different, and that if you use a manual starter on an automatic transmission, the starter will not disengage once the motor is started. I found this out when I took the forester for its inaugural new-motor drive and I made it a few km's from home before I got some great mechanical failure noises and I turned the key off with fear of having grenaded my franken-motor. I tried restarting it and just got a high pitch spinning noise from the starter. Chances of grenaded motor going down.

Towed it home, put it back in the garage, and spun the motor by hand to put my mind at ease. Rotation is nice and smooth and you can feel resistance for each compression stroke. Good signs. The next morning I threw in the old semi-reliable AT starter and gave it a whirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGOg9ut_Bm0

The video doesn't do it justice. Short of a small exhaust leak just past the header, it's the quietest subaru motor I have ever heard. No piston slap on startup. No injector tick. Just plain smooth. It's eerie :tinfoil:
Going to buy a new starter on Monday and throw it in. Thought of going used, but a starter isn't *that* expensive and I want this forester to be bulletproof.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

No chuffing or ticking noises? You are a loving wizard man.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I know, it's spooky. All is well now though, It got a little noisier on first startup in the morning. Used a cheap Fram toughguard and cheapest Castrol oil from Wal-Mart and I have my suspicions that the anti drainback valve isn't that effective. Oh well, going to do an oil change with a wix filter and some decent oil before winter as preventative maintenance.

In other news, I need help AI. Guide me.

I've got a certificate for $250 to the service department at autogallery, a local used car sales business. I've decided to use it on the beater Foz.

I've got three jobs I'd want to get done that are a little pain the rear end. I've got to replace the header-> cat gasket and the top bolt is a pain in the rear end to get to with the heat shield on, I'm wanting to flush the brakes as they're a little spongey, and I figured the trans has done 300k+ km so a flush is probably not a bad preventative maintenance thing, the fluids looks ok but no idea when it was last changed.

Here's the quote:

EXHAUST REPAIR $145.00
TRANS SERVICE $225.00
BRAKE FLUSH $205.00

PRICES ARE ESTIMATED AND DO NOT INCLUDE SHOP SUPPLIES AND TAXES

Tax is 13% here, and who knows what they charge for shop supplies. The exhaust gasket seems like the biggest ripoff, the trans and brakes seem about par for the course in terms of autodealer service.

I'm leaning towards going with the brake service and just sucking it up and doing the exhaust myself, and just doing the Honda procedure for auto trans flushes come spring. Don't want to pay ontop of the certificate so that seems like the best bet. Goon consensus?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh, and my brand new starter came in, if the weather is nice I'll toss it in this weekend, the old semi busted one has been working ok after some percussive maintenance outside the car.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Sell the gift cert for $25 below its value on craigslist, use it on other things.

Or just have them do the job you least want to do, which sounds like the exhaust gasket or whatever.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Dealing with the local classifieds, especially when selling, is something I'd like to avoid, Winnipeg-ers are legendarily cheap.

Minor update (no pics because I suck.) My breaking point for getting the single gasket replaced was $70-ish, stopped by Midas driving around on Saturday to just see what they would quote it as, came to $80ish plus they wanted $230ish to do the header gaskets since they weren't sealing correctly either. So I decided to just do it myself, since getting just the one gasket replaced wouldn't cut it.

Threw the new starter in and while I was under there I pulled the headers off and played with the exhaust. Didn't want to disassemble the rest of the exhaust or start unplugging O2 sensors so I left the rest of the system in place. When I had the headers out I took a belt sander to the mating surfaces to clean them up, looks like some old gasket material was rust-welded onto there causing the new-used gaskets I put on to leak.

You can pull down the rear exhaust section when mounting the header to give yourself much more clearance, so that's what I did to get the two bolts in and tight. Used a slightly undersized gasket from the old OEM WRX headers I had lying around, with a little bit of trimming of the bolt holes in the gasket, it fit and is sealing fine. Once that junction was properly sealed, I pulled the headers up onto the block with the new-used gaskets and got it on nice and tight.

So in summary, new starter works awesome and the exhaust is now (almost entirely) leak free! I've also got that awesome exhaust whistle when you go full throttle :toot: (common issue, the baffles in the muffler get a small rust hole, hence the whistle)

Since the trans is shifting fine, and the exhaust leak is fixed, I'll be using that certificate for them to flush the brakes, hopefully it'll fix that little bit of sponginess they have.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I feel like the brake flush is the biggest ripoff because all they do is put it on a lift, plug the vacuum bleeder to the nipple, crack it open, and make sure the master doesn't go dry.

For $205, you could buy yourself a nice motive power bleeder and do it yourself in 30min.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've got a homemade pressure bleeder that works fairly well (once the cap on the MC actually seals), but it would be nice to have a manufactured bleeder.

Ugh, these certificates are more of a pain than anything. $250 doesn't buy much of anything for dealer service, everything is going to be technically a ripoff, but I got the certificate at less than half of it's face value at a charity auction (remember how I said Winnipeg is cheap, apparently we can't even go above 50% "value" for charity) I have my doubts as to how much I'd be able to get out of it trying to sell it, plus they might revoke it (it might have a non-transferable clause, can't remember, haven't looked at the cert in a while)

I'm choosing the brake service since I don't have much time now because of upcoming midterms, they're the only thing that is currently showing some sign of needing attention, and with the weather getting colder my urge for working on a car is dwindling.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Also if I remember correctly the Forrester has some miles in a rusty area. Getting those bleeders loose on the ground will be a bitch versus doing it on a lift. Also it's a free ticket so do it for a job you view annoying and don't mind someone else doing

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
I wouldn't do a trans flush on a car that old without a complete service history. I'd just do a drain and fill, and see how it goes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Has AI come to a consensus on the "trans flushes kill old cars" thing yet? I feel like that was debunked.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the consensus was that a trans flush won't kill a trans that wasn't already well on the way out.

The only service history I have is the carproof report, and the word of the PO. VIN isn't blanked out because who gives a crap. $425 Forester got around before I got my hands on it. It shifts pretty drat nicely, and the fluid looks good so here's hoping it really is healthy.

Carproof looks like it's kinda screwy for Manitoba records, my taking ownership apparently resulted in two ownership changes? Anyway, Midterms have hit, so no progress on anything, haven't even had time to snap any lovely cellphone pics or even schedule the brake flush.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bajaha posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the consensus was that a trans flush won't kill a trans that wasn't already well on the way out.

The only service history I have is the carproof report, and the word of the PO. VIN isn't blanked out because who gives a crap. $425 Forester got around before I got my hands on it. It shifts pretty drat nicely, and the fluid looks good so here's hoping it really is healthy.

Carproof looks like it's kinda screwy for Manitoba records, my taking ownership apparently resulted in two ownership changes? Anyway, Midterms have hit, so no progress on anything, haven't even had time to snap any lovely cellphone pics or even schedule the brake flush.

E:

SouthsideSaint posted:

Also if I remember correctly the Forrester has some miles in a rusty area. Getting those bleeders loose on the ground will be a bitch versus doing it on a lift. Also it's a free ticket so do it for a job you view annoying and don't mind someone else doing

Bingo. The body is pretty nice rust wise, but the brake calipers were seized in the hub on one side, so I have my doubts on the status of the bleeders.

Real edit: gently caress I'm an idiot, quote =! edit. Whatever, my brain is fried for today.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The Forester is an SUV? Huh. I guess I always considered them a wagon.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bajaha posted:

For what it's worth, CarFax and Autocheck both show my car as having 3 owners (not counting dealers) so far.

The original owner lived in Utah, and according to what the dealer told me, once they moved to Texas, they traded it in pretty shortly after getting Texas plates/title (which could have been up to a year after moving here, if they wanted to use up the remainder of the Utah registration - though legally they'd have to register it within 30 days). The Texas registration counted as a 2nd owner on CarFax, even though it was listed as for sale by a dealer less than 50 miles later. I'm counted as the 3rd owner going by both autocheck and carfax. The original bill of sale from when it was originally sold was in the glove box when I got it, and matched the name that was on the title that the dealer had. So for a change, I'm pretty sure the dealer actually told me the truth.

tl;dr carfax and other vehicle history sites say I'm the third owner when I'm the second.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 2, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Raluek posted:

The Forester is an SUV? Huh. I guess I always considered them a wagon.
I would consider it a wagon too. Who knows how the registration/insurance industry decides. Maybe they rely on the manufacturers designation and they want to have it both ways? :iiam:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

slidebite posted:

I would consider it a wagon too. Who knows how the registration/insurance industry decides. Maybe they rely on the manufacturers designation and they want to have it both ways? :iiam:

I saw an SVX driving around the other day and thought of you, slidebite

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Haha, yeah, I would still like one but it's just a stupid pipe dream at this point.

Buying a car you KNOW will have transmission problems, made up of unobtanium parts and eat wheel bearings more often than brake pads takes more commitment (and garage space) than I have at this point. Especially since the only thing it has going for it is a unique look, it's certainly no powerhouse and is outclassed as a highway car by pretty much any family car outside of a subcompact.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I guy I worked with had a white SVX. It had three forward gears and no reverse.

But it was an SVX. :allears:

e: Was it that it had three gears or was missing three gears? I don't remember.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What about the 4EAT in the SVX makes it so prone to heat problems? Would it stand to reason the 4EAT in the 2008 impreza would be in the same boat?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The 4EAT in the SVX is a lot more primitive than any version of the 4EAT you'd see on an Impreza platform.

Depending on the year, the SVX 4EAT has problems with the transfer case clutches engaging too often, crappy ATF filters, leaky ATF seals or bad thrust bearings that make hard 3rd shifts or kill 4th gear. All years of SVX have an undersized ATF cooler, which are also impossible to flush fully when you have a 4EAT kill itself, leading to cars repeatedly dying even with a new 4EAT installed.

All of these should be fixed by 2008; the 4EAT is one of Subaru's most robust transmissions. Usually the only problems that Imprezas see are failures of the duty solenoids.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Speaking of autos, I'm reading that the forester should have an ATF spin on filter on the driver's side of the trans, I doubt remember seeing one, but I'm possibly blind or more likely it's covered in grime and grease from the previously broken cv boot.

With the trans shifting fine and the fluid looking nice and fairly fresh, I think it's a safe assumption that it had a trans fluid swap in the last couple years and it should be good for a little while. From the history it looks like this was mostly a highway cruiser and the PO mentioned taking long trips often to visit family. No binding when doing tight turns in a parking lot so the center diff should be fairly healthy as well

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Honestly that last post was the sum total of all 4EAT knowledge I have ever had. You can sniff some of the TCU information over SSM but I don't know if any of it would be useful to tell you if the transmission is healthy or not.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Naked Bear posted:

e: Was it that it had three gears or was missing three gears? I don't remember.

If it was a 5 speed then it wouldn't matter.

Edit: was

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

If it was a 5 speed then it wouldn't matter.

Edit: was

SVX was only ever available as an auto.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The 4EAT in the SVX is a lot more primitive than any version of the 4EAT you'd see on an Impreza platform.

Depending on the year, the SVX 4EAT has problems with the transfer case clutches engaging too often, crappy ATF filters, leaky ATF seals or bad thrust bearings that make hard 3rd shifts or kill 4th gear. All years of SVX have an undersized ATF cooler, which are also impossible to flush fully when you have a 4EAT kill itself, leading to cars repeatedly dying even with a new 4EAT installed.

A big issue was also the fact that the SVX version was setup for very soft shifts. Which meant more heat, and more wear on the clutch packs.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Why didn't Subaru ever put a manual behind any of their flat 6's? (NA market at least, I think JDM and ADM got a 5spd behind the 3l in a legacy chassis) they're not perfect but it sounds like it would have been a huge improvement over the early 4eat.

In fuel economy news, old auto's suck. Getting ~12 l/100km (18 ish mpg) in the foz, the exact same mileage as the Baja which has somewhere over twice the chp, weighs more, has stickier tires, and was driven in anger regularly. Trying to figure out if it's normal for the forester or if I'm going to have to track something down. No codes or obvious symptoms.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The 5-speeds will explode and 6-speeds are expensive. I think the 3.0R legacy comes with a 6-speed?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

In fuel economy news, old auto's suck. Getting ~12 l/100km (18 ish mpg) in the foz, the exact same mileage as the Baja which has somewhere over twice the chp, weighs more, has stickier tires, and was driven in anger regularly. Trying to figure out if it's normal for the forester or if I'm going to have to track something down. No codes or obvious symptoms.

The US version is rated at 18 mpg city, 20 combined, 24 highway. So if that's all city driving, you're getting exactly what you should be getting. Even combined city/highway, that puts you pretty close to what the EPA says it should get. I'd assume CDM models have the same or similar drivetrain, emissions systems, and ECU programming as USDM models.

The same site says my car is rated 23/26/32, which is about +1 mpg over what I actually get. And mine has the proper 3 pedals. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 3, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

jamal posted:

The 5-speeds will explode

Didn't stop them from putting then behind the EJ255 in the WRX, Forester XT, and various JDM models :v:

Did all turbo USDM legacies get the 6spd or was that just the spec b?

some texas redneck posted:

The same site says my car is rated 23/26/32, which is about +1 mpg over what I actually get. And mine has the proper 3 pedals. :sigh:

:( I got so used to exceeding EPA ratings with manuals it feels weird to meet or just miss them. Guess I can't always have my cake and eat it.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 3, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just the spec-b. Although the lgt 5-speed got slightly wider gears, similar to the sti-ra I think. And now that new not sti 6-speed is pretty much a 5-speed with an extra gear stuck on the end so we'll probably see a few of those break. I haven't spent enough time on LGT or nasioc or in a shop lately to find out though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

:( I got so used to exceeding EPA ratings with manuals it feels weird to meet or just miss them. Guess I can't always have my cake and eat it.

I had a 2001 Honda Accord LX 5 speed at one point. It always blew the highway numbers out of the water, but city driving averaged 18-20.

Best tank was on a road trip to/from Austin. Filled up in south Dallas, drove to Austin, spent a week there, and drove back on the same tank (I think I filled up in Waco on the way back, which is sorta roughly the halfway point). 34 mpg, and on the way back I had the cruise set at 85-90 with the a/c on between cities. :stare: It had a 17 gallon tank, I put over 500 miles on that one tank, staring at the gas gauge the entire time and wondering if the sending unit was broken or if I was really getting that kind of mileage.

My Integra also got crazy highway mileage - going from Dallas to El Paso (and back) in it saw nearly 40 mpg. :stonk: I have no idea why it got such great mileage on the highway, it was a pig around town. Only thing I can guess is it was running really lean at highway speeds - it did burn a couple of valves around 150k, and also started burning some serious oil (~1 qt per tank of gas - if anyone got on my rear end I'd just drop it into 3rd and let off the gas, instant smokescreen that would make James Bond weep) a few months after that trip.

tl;dr I'm also used to exceeding EPA ratings, even in automatics. I always get a "how the hell did you do THAT?" when I drive my mother's Avalon and give it back to her with the dash computer thing showing 19-22 MPG average (it usually shows 14-16 when she drives it). I don't know how I do it, I give it an italian tuneup every time I drive it though (it never breaks 2500 RPM with her driving).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 3, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

sofullofhate posted:

SVX was only ever available as an auto.

Could have been a 5 speed auto!

(but sadly not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

jamal posted:

The 5-speeds will explode and 6-speeds are expensive. I think the 3.0R legacy comes with a 6-speed?

indeed it does. Its basically the STI trans without the fancy variable power splitting centre diff.

• Locked thread