Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well, we'll probably find out for sure soon, because the data miners just figured out Afterbirth's encryption method. Wonder how Edmund is gonna react to that. Granted he probably took out the vital information until his puzzle gets solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

BJPaskoff posted:

There were a lot of promises, like 120+ new items and other stuff that weren't really delivered on. That being said though, I'm going to get 100+ hours out of this, just because I'll be playing Afterbirth for basically ever. I'm finding Greed mode a lot of fun, and I could see myself going back to it. After playing it for hours today, I know the act of exploring floors again is going to feel so alien.

I guess if you include the regular game, I can see it. It's just Greed mode is so SAME with every character, and no real varied stages that after clearing it, there isn't much reason to play it over the normal game. If each stage had a different layout, or random obstacles each time, I could see it being a legit 100+ hour expansion. Its like The UNDERDOME RIOT for Borderlands where sure there are different bad guys but the levels were the same each time you played, so there wasn't much reason to go back. Perhaps I am asking too much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HenryEx posted:

I'm updating my step-for-step breakdown on how your devil door chances are calculated and putting them down here for later reference.

Could you do one of these for Angel rooms too? I'm sure the list would be much shorter.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BillmasterCozb posted:

Apparently Ultra Greed scales with how long you take to kill Monstro.

So if you just loving blast in and murder him, UG is a wall of iron, but if you take a relatively long time to beat him (This doesn't mean you can just avoid him for a while and kill him, you have to shoot him occasionally), he won't be as strong.
I was wondering why Monstro was there. That... is very Edmund.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was wondering why Monstro was there. That... is very Edmund.

That's interesting, I guess dragging out the Monstro fight will be a thing then.

I just beat Ultra Greed as The Lost, surprisingly less difficult than I expected with Ludivico / Guppy / Dead Cat. I did get killed once by a coin falling on my head though, so watch out for that I guess.

Also, just me or are Angel rooms completely garbage now? I haven't even seen one with an item since the expansion, usually just coins, soul hearts, or white chests (that you only get to choose one and they can be empty).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

BillmasterCozb posted:

:wtc:

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I guess if you include the regular game, I can see it. It's just Greed mode is so SAME with every character, and no real varied stages that after clearing it, there isn't much reason to play it over the normal game. If each stage had a different layout, or random obstacles each time, I could see it being a legit 100+ hour expansion. Its like The UNDERDOME RIOT for Borderlands where sure there are different bad guys but the levels were the same each time you played, so there wasn't much reason to go back. Perhaps I am asking too much.

If there really is gonna be more stuff unlocked going forward things could change, but right now I feel like the novelty of the expansion's already worn off for me, which I'm a bit disappointed by. Everyone's measure of what they're willing to put 100 hours into varies, and I guess my tolerance is lower these days than when Rebirth first came out, but for Ed to be claiming 100+ hours I'd have hoped there'd be a little more to this. 100 hours is a tall order for a content-rich RPG, let alone a fairly one-note horde mode and a handful of new items.

Not like indie developers aren't allowed to make hyperbolic claims though I guess, and once the quirks get patched out it'll still be a pretty good expansion, even if there's nothing especially groundbreaking about it.

e: doesn't help that, even though I hadn't played Isaac at all since December, I've still been listening to Northernlion's loving livestream regularly, and it's pretty much all he plays, so my mind has become totally numb to the game at this point. These days I kind of scoff at the idea of Isaac being endlessly replayable, but that's probably a self inflicted condition

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 2, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BillmasterCozb posted:

So if you just loving blast in and murder him, UG is a wall of iron, but if you take a relatively long time to beat him (This doesn't mean you can just avoid him for a while and kill him, you have to shoot him occasionally), he won't be as strong.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that a similar principle applies to Hush and his Isaac clone first form

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Really important question: There was a bug in Rebirth where using the 2nd save slot would periodically erase your saves. Was that definitely fixed at some point and no longer a thing?

My first afterbirth run I got 20/20 bouncing brimstone which was nice.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BillmasterCozb posted:

god that's dumb

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I don't know if it's that. I had ProblemsIRL on in the background and he tried killing monstro with just the gemini baby and then unloading with everything on ultra greed and it still took a while. I forgot who, but someone in the thread proposed that it was related to how much damage you did to ultra greed himself.

Thanks Internet posted:

Well that would explain why this fight took so long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3FX1qI05Yo
This video seems to support that. Thanks Internet shreds the first 10% or so of ultra greed's health and then the damage rate slows way down.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Well, not as crazy as that video, but this combination trivialized greed without slowing the game to a crawl (car battery, 9 volt, habit, guillotine, max damage/tears/fire rate/etc)

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
You can always go back and play Eternal Edition if you can stand Flash long enough. That game makes baby Raptor Jesus cry.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

dude789 posted:

This video seems to support that. Thanks Internet shreds the first 10% or so of ultra greed's health and then the damage rate slows way down.

Yeah, this makes more sense. I one shot Monstro immediately on one of my breaking runs so Ultra Greed should have had tons of health if the Monstro theory was correct. I killed Ultra Greed in 3-5 hits, though. So I bet I dealt enough damage in a short enough time to kill Ultra Greed before the health increase trigger kicked in. That makes sense with the way the game is likely to be programmed too. They fixed one shotting The Haunt before he turned invulnerable when you enter a room, but you can still skip phases during the Satan fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The problem with the Monstro scaling theory is that, this video seems to disprove that. Dude has a high damage build, and shreds both Monstro and Ultra Greed within seconds.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

The problem with the Monstro scaling theory is that, this video seems to disprove that. Dude has a high damage build, and shreds both Monstro and Ultra Greed within seconds.

I subscribe to Bisnap's idea of the scaling, which is that 1) Monstro has nothing to do with it and that 2) There's a limit to how much DPS you can do in a certain amount of time, thus essentially making every fight last around the same amount of time... with the exception being the first couple of milliseconds where you can (proven in the video) squeeze in a potential deadly amount of damage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alright, finally got Lilith (legitimately, discounting the time I got her via random spin somehow before I unlocked her), time to take her for a spin in Greed Mode!

*places face on keyboard, rolls it around*

Seriously, I got Car Battery, Laser tears (and bought a Squareworm to give the lasers a bit of effective AOE), Bob's Brain, Sister Maggie, BFFS! and a bajillion damage and tear-rate upgrades. The levels were clusterfucks of Coal-powered lasers and exploding brains the size of small cars. The only issue is that I couldn't get an item that gave regen/batteries during the Ultra Greed fight, but it wasn't like it was hard when I had 3 lasers and 3 Maggies firing with 3 Bob's Brains providing artillery support.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Afterbirth made Isaac amazing to outright ridiculous. I played the game on PS4, so I bought it on steam. Fresh file really makes for a good time progressing through all of the content at the same time.

Lilith is silly.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I subscribe to Bisnap's idea of the scaling, which is that 1) Monstro has nothing to do with it and that 2) There's a limit to how much DPS you can do in a certain amount of time, thus essentially making every fight last around the same amount of time... with the exception being the first couple of milliseconds where you can (proven in the video) squeeze in a potential deadly amount of damage.

I did something that seemed to instakill Ultra Greed from around 70% health. I can't figure it out but my best guess is that it has something with the coins he spawns.

http://www.webm.host/b5a1c/

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sparticle posted:

I did something that seemed to instakill Ultra Greed from around 70% health. I can't figure it out but my best guess is that it has something with the coins he spawns.

http://www.webm.host/b5a1c/

What a mess :v: Maybe there are windows of a couple of frames where the damage isn't limited? I've experienced the same thing, but from ~20% rather than 70%. It's probably just coded terribly and that the idea is to limit the damage by X amount per frame or something and they didn't account for frameskips or whatever.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
greed mode is probably my favorite thing but goddamn i really hate the can't see items curse

also it reminded me of my love for playing azazel after doing just judas/isaac runs.

okay specifically azazel + tammy's head

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 2, 2015

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

way i got this was pretty standard iv bag cheese expedited by life savings and car battery and some other nonsense but the effect ended up being pretty amusing.

i ended up with both my reflection and anti gravity which resulted in a very odd hovering cloud of tears as you can see. it was quite strange in motion. and stuck around forever because of all the range i had as well as rubber cement. the final piece was finding strange attractor, so everything just got sucked in and died instantly. i became a black hole basically.

and since all the tears were shielded i took very little damage. i wasn't completely invulnerable of course and i did take damage a few times when i lost track of where lilith was in all that nonsense (i got binky at some point which didn't help things in that regard) but for the most part enemies just got slurped up and instagibbed as soon as they appeared, even bosses

i wasnt expecting it to work on ultra greed for some reason but the dude didnt even get to attack really, i just dragged him in circles around the room for a few minutes while he got permastunned by the iron bar tears and then he died

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 2, 2015

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

The number of new room layouts that fall squarely into the "hiiiiii how dare you play our game screw you!" category is depressing. Greaaat thing we got those Lost buffs, eh?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

loving hell, the Hush...(also, do we have to keep spoilering that?) How the gently caress do you dodge his Transcendence attack stage? Swirly blinking shots wobbling back and forth, and then wrapping around the level to fly and wobble even faster at you. I have no idea where to stand in relation to the tears, especially since 90% of the time the attacks will hit Isaac and go right through him...until they don't. I try moving around to another side and half the time there's already Transcendence tears over there. I had a run where I still had 7 hearts when he started that stage, only to get shredded.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Just cling to the walls. If you watch the pattern carefully enough, you can change from a horizontal to a vertical wall or vice versa in time to not get hit when his tears transition between vertical and horizontal themselves.

The tear storm or whatever the hell you feel like calling it isn't continuous. You'll get windows where you can do damage to him, but during the storms, just hug a wall and wait it out. You'll get smushed every time if you try damage him in the middle of it. Kinda like Cathedral Isaac in that respect.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 2, 2015

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

lilith is absurdly strong wow. the entire screen ended up being a sea of tears, ultra greed couldn't even scratch me

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did the boss rush always give you a space item room every wave? I have lilith with the car battery and strong, piercing shots. This is getting ridiculous.

e: and then my pets failed to spawn in the next room. welp.

ee: using the box respawned them, but I crashed entering a boss rush looking room in the Womb.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 2, 2015

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Alkydere posted:

loving hell, the Hush...(also, do we have to keep spoilering that?) How the gently caress do you dodge his Transcendence attack stage? Swirly blinking shots wobbling back and forth, and then wrapping around the level to fly and wobble even faster at you. I have no idea where to stand in relation to the tears, especially since 90% of the time the attacks will hit Isaac and go right through him...until they don't. I try moving around to another side and half the time there's already Transcendence tears over there. I had a run where I still had 7 hearts when he started that stage, only to get shredded.

Strangely, I've found the safest place to be during the Transcendance attack is right up next to him in the direction he's firing from, the tears he emits seem to pass right over you.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
so apparently quad shot stacks with triple eye if anyone wants to see how that affects a full brimstone eve run i'll post the seed once someone tells me how to get prior seeds

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Ran into the hush before unlocking the polaroid or womb even, not sure what the condition was but that was an interesting fight.

A bit disappointed by some lack of interactions. I had ludovico on azazel but then quad shot, anti-grav tears, and montro's lungs all did nothing to the brim + ludo effect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's... really nothing that could happen with any of those things to cause them to interact. Monstro's Lung is a charged shot and Ludovico is always active, so it'd do nothing anyway. Ludovico also already has the anti-gravity tears effect on it because it has infinite range. I guess quad shot could do SOMETHING but I dunno what it'd be other than segmenting the Ludovico tear into 4 smaller circles or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sanctum posted:

Ran into the hush before unlocking the polaroid or womb even, not sure what the condition was but that was an interesting fight.

A bit disappointed by some lack of interactions. I had ludovico on azazel but then quad shot, anti-grav tears, and montro's lungs all did nothing to the brim + ludo effect.

Hush is unlocked by beating Mom's Heart in under 30 minutes, apparently

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Ludo+brim+quad could be like smaller circles or dots inside the large one, kind of the opposite of what double/triple/quad shot already does for normal ludo by giving it small orbiting tears.

The ludo + fire mind interaction is fixed so thank god for that.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
My first Greed run, I go as Azazel to unlock Lilith, and I'm careful to go into the final fight with around fifty coins or so. Beat Ultra Greed, start pushing on the donation machine, it takes about five coins before breaking. What the Hell :(

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Fuego Fish posted:

My first Greed run, I go as Azazel to unlock Lilith, and I'm careful to go into the final fight with around fifty coins or so. Beat Ultra Greed, start pushing on the donation machine, it takes about five coins before breaking. What the Hell :(

It happens, and don't worry too much about it - it looks like it's capped, in general, at 109 for whatever reason.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Fuego Fish posted:

I got it worse. Ultra Greed apparently died in front of the end-level chest, so the chest wasn't visible.
I went near the Greed statue-corpse expecting loot or maybe bomb it to get coins, and Azazel jumped into the chest and that was it.
I had 70+ coins that I could try to donate, and I donated none.

Also, heads up for anyone who isn't aware, the Card Against Humanity card can break the Greed mode, if you use it in the main room and then exit that room for whatever reason (going to self-sacrifice room, the shop or elsewhere). The fight push-button will disappear and the run will be rendered un-winnable.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
So the data miners found some plain text snippets among the encrypted data files:

quote:

The snippets are:
For 1 small baking dish 1 cup (2 sticks) butter 4 medium sized eggs 2 cups brown sugar 3/4 cup cocoa powder (you can substitute 3.5 oz really dark chocolate) 1 cup flour 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 3/4 cup chopped almonds or other nuts
Melt the butter, let it cool a little
Beat eggs, sugar into butter
Mix in the rest of the ingredients
Put into baking dish
5. Bake ~30 minutes at 375 F

quote:

And you could tell his date wasn't even interested in the goddam game, but she was even funnier-looking than he was, so I guess she had to listen. Real ugly girls have it tough. I feel so sorry for them sometimes. Sometimes I can't even look at them, especially if they're with some dopey guy that's telling them all about a goddam football game.

quote:

Einst lebte in Sevilla ein Verrückter, der einem Unfug oder Wahn verfiel, so närrisch, wie ihn kein Verrückter auf der Welt ersonnen hat, denn er spitzte sich ein Schilfrohr an, griff sich einen Köter auf der Straße oder sonst woher, drückte eins der Beine mit dem Fuß zu Boden, hob ein anderes mit der Hand an und schob ihm, so weit er konnte, das Rohr in ein bestimmtes Löchlein, blies dann hinein, bis der Hund so rund war wie ein Ball, haute ihm auf den Bauch, ließ ihn los und sagte den Schaulustigen, die immer zahlreich zur Stelle waren: "Ihr habt wohl gedacht, werte Herren, das Hundaufblasen wär ein Kinderspiel?"

quote:

Who wants to celebrate? And who's just fine to sit and wait? I gave it everything And I just wanted you to feel the same

This is either a red herring to throw the data miners off or these could be clues to something. Also, the Greed donation machine breaking at 109 could have something to do with Psalm 109.

Edmund also just posted on Twitter that there's going to be a patch sometime this week that fixes all of the "big issues" and maybe adds a few things.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Has anyone tried filling the Greed machine up in small installments over different runs rather than dumping dozens of coins into it at once? Maybe that's what 'you need to slow the gently caress down' refers to. Plus it kindof relates to greed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The first one is obviously a recipe for brownies. So, something to do with Brownie, I guess?

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
I like how Dr Fetus is good again. Had a fun Lilith run with Dr Fetus + Bob's Curse bombs, destroyed everything but got eaten alive by Hush. First attempt at it, so I'll need more practise, but I'm enjoying things so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, the new transformations seem lame. The only unique ones are Mom (back knife, which isn't that useful) and Poop (which heals you as you destroy poops, super useful on the countless floors where poops don't spawn and for no red heart builds). All the other ones just give you effects from existing items. The Angel and Devil ones literally just give you flight + hearts. The Mushroom one is so lame that no one has even figured out what its effect is besides cosmetic. Guppy was a loving game changer, but all the rest of these transformations just seem like they're there for the sake of being there. I didn't expect all the transformations to be game breaking but I at least expected them to be interesting.