Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Good. Wouldn't have it any other way. Of course everyone else is less wacky, but Joker is still exactly the same.

Well I say inexplicably because the show went with the version where Batman's the reason he fell into a vat of acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Pfft everybody knows that the Joker is a good guy in realities where Batman isn't around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Remember when the Star Trek TNG producers thought Will Wheaton was going to grow up to be a beefcake?

Yeah I don't think anyone thought Wil Wheaton was gonna be a beefcake.

If I recall correctly Wil implied at some point that guy was more there for the casting director to enjoy, if you know what I mean,

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Madkal posted:

Here's a youtube clip of the episode I was talking about where a lawyer basically dismantles the villains claims that it's Batman's fault that they all turned out the way they did.

Starts around 1:02 mark.
Are there any Batman stories that do the "Batman created the Gotham supervillains" bit with any justification whatsoever? Apart from knocking Joker into the chemical vat, I don't see how that's ever made any sense, at all. It seems like a bit of metafiction (since a superhero needs supervillains) that's just become tiresome, like "Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker, is he just as crazy as the Joker?"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"2 sides of the same coin" - Two Face

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I just realised that there will never be a Flash episode of Gorrila Grodd vs King Shark and that made me very very very sad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BD Wong was cast as Hugo Strange for Gotham.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I hope he plays the role completely straight in the pattern of the original character (i.e. a stereotypical early 20th-century central European psychoanalyst). E: and gets jacked as hell with awesome mutton chops.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Someone watched Jurassic World, it appears. He was pretty Hugo-y, surprisingly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Here is the Preacher teaser. Reading that sentence took longer than the trailer itself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Here is the Preacher teaser. Reading that sentence took longer than the trailer itself.

They even say it's just a teaser and the full trailer is on Sunday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

They even say it's just a teaser and the full trailer is on Sunday.

I don't have cable, is the actual trailer up?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

I don't have cable, is the actual trailer up?

Trailer was aired but doesn't look like it's up yet. At least not by AMC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

Trailer was aired but doesn't look like it's up yet. At least not by AMC.

All my TWD watching friends started hitting me up on Facebook asking about it so I knew it aired, just getting impatient to see it myself.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNgI2sRzr8I

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I didn't see him using The Word. Seems more like "small town preacher has a dark past" more than "small down preacher has a dark past but has supernatural powers now". I didn't expect to see the Grail or Herr Star or the saint of Killers, but drat, where's the defining characteristic of the hero?

It will probably be well acted and written, but I worry its not going to be the Preacher comics adapted into a show.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The further it gets from the comics the better as far as I'm concerned. Though the trailer isn't getting me particularly amped. Great cast though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show has all that stuff in it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well it looks pretty and full of good actors, but no mention of Genesis or The Word feels weird. People coming fresh would have no idea it's supernatural.

Still, Cassidy is the most inspired casting choice since RDJ for Stark so I'll watch the poo poo out of this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish they'd cast someone who looks more like Jesse. Or at least tried to make him look like the character with hair and such.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't expect to see the Grail or Herr Star or the saint of Killers...

Saint of Killers is there if you look closely enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I read somewhere that they still haven't cleared the use of John Wayne for the series yet, anyone know anything about that?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

funtax posted:

Saint of Killers is there if you look closely enough.

Ugh, that could be foreshadowing or just a nod "to the fans" because they have no interest in putting the character in the show.

It's hard to watch the trailer and go "yea! I wanna see another southern guy people people up!" when I know Preacher is so much more than that, and that's the stuff I love about the show. I admit its been years since I've read it but Isn't the whole first part of the story about how Genesis comes down, possesses Jesse, and in the process levels his church and kills his congregation, and the cops are after him? Not him wandering around beating abusive dads up.

Maybe that's all in the first 5 minutes. Though the Cassidy stuff looks crazy. I wish there was more Tulip though.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Given the stuff they can't do because - even on cable - it's just not going to get approved by the network, it would be pretty weird NOT to do the Saint of Killers stuff, given how important it is to the storyline and how relatively inexpensive it would be to accomplish. I mean, they're doing Arseface. How can they NOT do the Saint?

In general, I'm not overly worried about this first trailer not being chock full of exposition. It's almost certainly a deliberate choice, aimed at leaving more details for later teasers and such.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I wish they'd cast someone who looks more like Jesse. Or at least tried to make him look like the character with hair and such.

No modern TV show is gonna adapt that 90s as gently caress hair Jesse's got going in the comics.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
And every potato they approached for the role turned them down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

No modern TV show is gonna adapt that 90s as gently caress hair Jesse's got going in the comics.

But that 90s hair is kinda what makes him look distinct from just about every other generic white dude in fiction. And I mean, making the show a 90s period piece would kinda be cool, especially since Arseface's backstory is so heavily tied to Kurt Cobain.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh, that could be foreshadowing or just a nod "to the fans" because they have no interest in putting the character in the show.

It's hard to watch the trailer and go "yea! I wanna see another southern guy people people up!" when I know Preacher is so much more than that, and that's the stuff I love about the show. I admit its been years since I've read it but Isn't the whole first part of the story about how Genesis comes down, possesses Jesse, and in the process levels his church and kills his congregation, and the cops are after him? Not him wandering around beating abusive dads up.

Maybe that's all in the first 5 minutes. Though the Cassidy stuff looks crazy. I wish there was more Tulip though.

It is but I'm pretty sure it later flashes back to a couple weeks before that incident which seems to be where these scenes are coming from.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Great cast but hmmm, that trailer did not work for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I read somewhere that they still haven't cleared the use of John Wayne for the series yet, anyone know anything about that?

Would they have to if they just did it like the comics and had him only in shadow? You'd think that as long as they don't actually use his image they should be fine.

As for the trailer not showing any supernatural stuff, I'm assuming that's all from the pilot and he'll get Genesis at the end. This way you'll actually get to see him as a preacher, unlike the comic which just kind of glossed over that stuff at first and filled it in later.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's AMC, they're probably gonna stick to the broad strokes of the comic, but unless it's a huge failure, they're gonna stretch it as far as they can so be prepared for a lot of poo poo that isn't in the comics.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A lot of the show hasn’t been shot - and some of the casting still hasn’t been finalized as a result. This is a little like when people say “Sure the CGI looks like poo poo in the trailer, but it’s a work in progress”; there’s not really any way of knowing whether that’s the reason, or whether it’s going to look like that.

Generally, I just found the trailer to be really boring, which is my biggest criticism. I’m not sure how the trailer will be interesting to anyone not familiar with the comics. Charming as Dom Cooper can be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think a Preacher that goes and beats up sinners is probably generally interesting to your mainstream cable audience.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Word is barely a defining characteristic of Jesse, and Ennis pretty much has him stop using it halfway through the series except in really special situations. Even ignoring that, maybe the idea is to make it a surprise to people coming in fresh to the series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The Word is barely a defining characteristic of Jesse, and Ennis pretty much has him stop using it halfway through the series except in really special situations. Even ignoring that, maybe the idea is to make it a surprise to people coming in fresh to the series.

I can see that. Try to hook people with the vengeful preacher gimmick, and hit them with the big supernatural twist at the end of the pilot.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Endless Mike posted:

Sure. However, one of the things I loved about the series was that there were zero sound effects for gun shots and explosions. The Word was the loudest, deadliest thing. And I can't imagine that being translated to a TV show (no SFX).

I'm still down to watch it, but every time a screen (small or big) version of the book has been pitched that aspect always worried me.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Episode outlines for Jessica Jones have been leaked. Obviously this is an assload of spoilers

AKA Ladies Night : Jessica Jones is hired to find a pretty NYU student who''s vanished, but it turns out to be more than a simple missing persons case http://www.netflix.com/title/80002312

AKA Crush Syndrome: Jessica vows to prove Hope's innocence, even though it means tracking down a terrifying figure from her own past. http://www.netflix.com/title/80002313

AKA It's Called Whiskey: It won't be easy to acquire or deploy. but Jessica thinks she's found a weapon to use against Kilgrave. Luke and Jessica bond over their similarities. http://www.netflix.com/title/80002314

AKA: 99 Friends : A new case demands attention as Jessica tries to find out who's spying on her for Kilgrave. Trish's radio show yields unexpected consequences http://www.netflix.com/title/80002315

AKA The Sandwich Saved Me : Despite Jessica's objections, Trish's new friend Simpson gets involved in the hunt for Kilgrave. Jessica recalls a pivotal moment in her life.http://www.netflix.com/title/80002316

AKA You're a Winner: Luke hires Jessica to help him find someone who may have skipped town, but she fears he'll learn too much about her history in the process. http://www.netflix.com/title/80002317

AKA Top Shelf Perverts: Malcom, Simpson and Trish go rouge to prevent Jessica from carrying out an extreme plan to outwit Kilgrave. http://www.netflix.com/title/80002318

AKA WWJD: Jessica experiences a strange homecoming courtesy of Kilgrave. Hogarth's conflict with her estranged wife reaches a tipping point http://www.netflix.com/title/80002319

AKA Sin Bin: Just when Jessica has Kilgrave right where she want's him. Hogarth's involvement complicates the situation. Details of Kilgrave's past emerge. http://www.netflix.com/title/80002320

AKA 1,000 Cuts : A discovery has the potential to change the entire game -- if Jessica can refuse Kilgrave's offer. http://www.netflix.com/title/80002321

AKA I've Got The Blues: Jessica searches morgues for clues. Trish goes all out to keep Simpson from getting in Jessica's way. Malcom has an epiphany. http://www.netflix.com/title/80002322

AKA Take a Bloody Number: The hunt for Kilgrave reunites Jessica with Luke. Trish receives some unexpected information about Simpson and Jessica. http://www.netflix.com/title/80002323

AKA Smile: Jessica and Luke get help from someone else in the neighborhood. Kilgrave gears up for a major test of powers against Jessica. http://www.netflix.com/title/80002324

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

That Preacher trailer disappoints. Looks like it's going AMC à la Walking Dead way, instead of the AMC à la Breaking Bad way. Gonna be a huge steaming pile of poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nosophoros posted:

That Preacher trailer disappoints. Looks like it's going AMC à la Walking Dead way, instead of the AMC à la Breaking Bad way. Gonna be a huge steaming pile of poo poo.

How in the world could you glean that from the trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It looked more to me like they just threw the trailer together with footage from the first episode or two with few of the fx shots ready to show, so the stuff that shows the real premise wasn't ready.