Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My wishlist for the new ATV, in no particular order:

• Slingbox App
  • Official Plex App
  • Pandora App
  • Spotify App
  • Twitch App
  • VLC App
  • HockeyStreams App
  • Remote iOS app integration
  • HomeKit integration
  • Non-sucky Netflix App
  • Siri Search to include Plex/Home Sharing/etc (Siri API essentially)

Each of these have varying levels of inevitability, ranging from "definitely happening at some point" to "not gonna happen, but I want it anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK if we're going to play this game:

• App Store categorization / revamp
  • Sonos App
  • HomeKit integration
  • Plex App (in approvals right now)
  • Better keyboard
  • iOS Remote app compatibility
  • Removal of "must be playable on siri remote" mandate for tvOS games
  • Siri YouTube search
  • Ability to exclude media sources from Siri search (I don't care if iTunes store has it for purchase, I'm likely not going to buy it)
  • iOS remote touchID integration for purchasing
  • Ability to EASILY switch GameCenter users
  • Siri remoting (using iPhone Siri to control tvOS)
  • Selective CEC (detect if another input is active, don't turn off TV when sleeping tvOS if that's the case) -- not sure if this is possible

To be honest I feel like 90% of my non-app requests are "must fix" items, or "no brainer" items that they could fix easily. Siri remoting and selective CEC would be the only ones that are iffy. Any App specific wishes I'm not really worried about since it's likely that SOMEONE will put something together, even if I have to sideload it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
• suck my dick

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

• suck my dick

Taking tactile feedback to the next level.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Fellatio Hero Saga

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

[*] Ability to exclude media sources from Siri search (I don't care if iTunes store has it for purchase, I'm likely not going to buy it)

I was gonna include this on my wishlist too, but opted not to because it's just not gonna happen. Apple is probably banking on iTunes results in Siri searches increasing their sales numbers, and it's probably gonna work, too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wellll, yeah that's true, but that's why it's my WISH list ;)

I'm really optimistic about the future. I'd go so far as to say that on day one I was really displeased with ATV4 but now that I have NHL I'm happier, and once Plex comes out of approvals I'll finally be able to punt my Roku.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hockeystreams will never happen. They're likely already dead anyway, but even so they're illegal and the app store is somewhere the NHL can actually do something about it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's no webView in the tvOS SDK (IIRC) so it may be difficult, but I wouldn't put it past someone to make a hockeystreams client for sideloading.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Mahoning posted:

I'm having a problem with my ATV turning my television back on after I've powered everything down for the night. Twice now I've gone to bed, gone to the bathroom and noticed a light coming from downstairs, only to go down and realize the tv is back on.

Are you Airplaying to it? I noticed this morning that when I powered up my laptop and downloaded a media file for iTunes to play, it defaulted to it's last setup ... which was to airplay the audio to the home theater.

So ATV, TV, Receiver... everything powered up and poo poo started rocking. It was kinda cool, kind of annoying. :)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Seems like new ATV still isn't putting out Dolby Digital Plus. Which is especially annoying, because I doubt in a blind test I could tell the difference between regular Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus, yet still not having it when I know I could have it on another box (TiVo Roamio OTA) is annoying.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Okay for like months now, my Apple TV (3) hasn't been able to see my content on my computer. iTunes says home sharing is on but the Apple TV and the remote app on my phone just can't see it. It's really annoying because 99% of what I use the thing for is streaming. I'm almost ready to just replace it with a chromecast (we have one on the upstairs tv and it works great w/ plex)

I've tried every solution I can google. I got it work a couple times briefly but it always goes back to not working. Anyone have any advice?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

FishBulb posted:

Okay for like months now, my Apple TV (3) hasn't been able to see my content on my computer. iTunes says home sharing is on but the Apple TV and the remote app on my phone just can't see it. It's really annoying because 99% of what I use the thing for is streaming. I'm almost ready to just replace it with a chromecast (we have one on the upstairs tv and it works great w/ plex)

I've tried every solution I can google. I got it work a couple times briefly but it always goes back to not working. Anyone have any advice?

Are you definitely signed into the same account on both your computer and the AppleTV?

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but I was once on the verge of returning my PS4 when it repeatedly failed to sign into Netflix even when I knew my password was definitely correct. Turned out that I had registered using my gmail address, but was trying to sign in using my iCloud address. Took me two days to realise. :doh:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Creature posted:

Are you definitely signed into the same account on both your computer and the AppleTV?

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but I was once on the verge of returning my PS4 when it repeatedly failed to sign into Netflix even when I knew my password was definitely correct. Turned out that I had registered using my gmail address, but was trying to sign in using my iCloud address. Took me two days to realise. :doh:

Yeah, one of the first suggestions everywhere is to sign it and back out again, so thats usually what I try first.

Its really frustrating because it worked great for years, I've had 1,2 and 3 ATV and until recently loved them all.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

FishBulb posted:

Sounds like you would've tried this already, but... have you rebooted the router? I've experienced behavior similar to what you've described, and a router reboot usually fixes it.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The keyboard is starting to piss me off. What kind of idiot thought that was a good layout?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

Are you running Windows? Which version?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Thwomp posted:

Are you running Windows? Which version?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Weird. I had an issue after moving from 7 to 8 where I couldn't get my Home Share to play. I had to downgrade back to 7 to get it working again. (FYI, moving to 10 hasn't yet caused the issue).

The only other thing I can think of is to try uninstalling iTunes completely and rebuilding your library from scratch. (Assuming you've tried everything else on the Apple Support forums like renaming your computer/itunes library, router stuff, etc).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Xabi posted:

The keyboard is starting to piss me off. What kind of idiot thought that was a good layout?

I don't think it's perfect by any means but I'm already incredibly fast with it. The inertia scrolling is great.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
Can somebody explain why the touch input is the opposite of every other device on the planet? I guess you're supposed to think you're moving a cursor with it instead of the content but it's still really weird. Also not being able to search for music with siri is some seriously weak poo poo. The interface looks kind of boring, too.

Other than these few complaints this thing is pretty cool. My apple music stuff is right there, so are my photos. Set up is piss easy. This "hold your phone here and it works" is some serious magic. Netflix app works great. Probably gonna play the frogger thing from the app store tonight. It is also really cool how it controls the volume of my tv via IR.

Also a screensaver came on as I was typing this and it looks loving fantastic. I've been staring at it for five minutes straight.

Edit: How do I turn it off ? Am I supposed to wait for the auto shut off?
Edit 2: Oh, just hold the home button.

coke zero mit mayo fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 2, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

reboot that ATV3 too.

There were a flurry of failures back in July/August after an Itunes update but it eventually was fixed so maybe check itunes for updates as well.

In other news: I'm probably not going for ATV4 and will probably just go for a Roku 4 to replace my ATV3 so I can get Amzn Video/Netflix and just Plex music. I have an android phone now so no more air playing Amzn videos to my tv so I need Amzn videos to be available another way. For some reason air play sucks from my Macbook Air laptop so I never use it.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 2, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

coke zero mit mayo posted:

Can somebody explain why the touch input is the opposite of every other device on the planet? I guess you're supposed to think you're moving a cursor with it instead of the content but it's still really weird. Also not being able to search for music with siri is some seriously weak poo poo. The interface looks kind of boring, too.

Because "natural scrolling" is loving terrible on anything but a touch screen and anyone who doesn't turn it off immediately on anything but a phone and a tablet is just doing it wrong. You're not moving the content, you're moving the highlight square around the TV. It would make even less sense than it does on laptops and such here.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Seems like new ATV still isn't putting out Dolby Digital Plus. Which is especially annoying, because I doubt in a blind test I could tell the difference between regular Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus, yet still not having it when I know I could have it on another box (TiVo Roamio OTA) is annoying.

I'm getting some HDMI audio weirdness, too. Setting the Surround Sound option to auto appears to get me multi channel PCM, but setting it to Dolby Surround seems to get me DD 5.1.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
OKay heres a weird update to my ATV problems, I can make itunes push a show to my ATV just fine, but my ATV still can't see my itunes library.

Oh well, I've put way too much effort into this.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Because "natural scrolling" is loving terrible on anything but a touch screen and anyone who doesn't turn it off immediately on anything but a phone and a tablet is just doing it wrong. You're not moving the content, you're moving the highlight square around the TV. It would make even less sense than it does on laptops and such here.
But it's fantastic on laptops and the remote is pretty much the same thing. It's just a trackpad that's not integrated with the main device. Also why does inertia work when scrolling through albums in apple music when it's not supposed to work like other touch devices?

Anyway, I hope they're going to introduce a setting to change this in a future tvOS version.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Apparently the Plex app has been approved. Very interested to see how it compares to Simplex.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Creature posted:

Apparently the Plex app has been approved. Very interested to see how it compares to Simplex.

Well seeing as how Simplex doesn't work with my network setup I hope it compares favourably :q:

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Now that I'm used to natural scrolling, swiping up to move the content down seems bizarre. It's one of those things like Pogs we'll look back on in bewilderment.

The Apple TV makes sense because you're moving a selection cursor. It's like swiping a Mac trackpad left to move the mouse cursor left.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Plex in the App Store now. If you don't see it, try restarting your ATV (Settings -> Restart)

edit: poo poo works well, right out of the box. So good. ROKU GTFO.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 2, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a good site or list for new/upcoming ATV app releases?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks awful app

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Man that new Netflix UI is bad, I hope whoever decided "let's make the hero image permanently take up 2/3 of the screen and remove related titles and actor/director info" is in trouble right now.

Good news: the CEC works perfectly, input switching, power on, power off and volume control.
Bad news: I'm probably stuck streaming Amazon from my ipad or on my PS4, aren't I?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unless Amazon sucks it up, pretty much. I got a FireTV Stick when they were on sale for $20, so I at least have that as an option, but I get not wanting another device. (Plus you have the PS4, so that's kinda pointless, anyway.)

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Plex in the App Store now. If you don't see it, try restarting your ATV (Settings -> Restart)

Is it walled off behind plex pass or is it free and open?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

puppy party posted:

Is it walled off behind plex pass or is it free and open?

Available to all.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
Now that Plex is available, I'm interested in hooking up a large drive to a Mac Mini and then plugging it in via Ethernet cable to my network.

Of the current models available, what's the one that I need? Hopefully not the one that's $1000 -- just something that will play 1080p streams to the AppleTV with no hiccups.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mr. BT posted:

Now that Plex is available, I'm interested in hooking up a large drive to a Mac Mini and then plugging it in via Ethernet cable to my network.

Of the current models available, what's the one that I need? Hopefully not the one that's $1000 -- just something that will play 1080p streams to the AppleTV with no hiccups.

This has been my basic setup for years, except instead of Plex I just used iTunes & Home Sharing to get the media to ATV.

Now that Plex is native, I was thinking about switching over, but my Mac Mini is so old that Plex Server won't run on it.

I'm not sure what my other options are, besides dropping $400+ on a newer used Mac Mini. I know I could build a PC based box for cheaper, but my whole media drive and all backups are HFS, so that seems like it'd be a huge pain.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Cross posting from the TV thread, but I want to get a new Vizio 50" and it's clear it supports controlling of OTHER devices via CEC, but doesn't say whether IT can be controlled by a CEC device. Anyone know how to tell? I'd like to make sure I get a TV that the Apple TV can turn on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mr. BT posted:

That is crazy overkill. Build a small nas pc with a nas os that supports plex.