Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Xander77 posted:

Is there a better alternative? Personally, I just read everything on a game page.

In other news, I have an important wiki tip for Deus Ex (the first one):

Utility skills are front-loaded, gun skills are end-loaded. That is - bumping Medicine (for example) up to Trained makes every medkit heal an additional 30 hit points. Further skills bumps only increase the healing by 15 points each, despite costing much more. Meanwhile, training Rifles (for example) to Master gives you as much of a benefit as the previous Trained and Advanced bonuses combined (not to mention misc bonuses like perfect accuracy on all rifles and being able to snipe cameras).

another tip; if you put the pistol skill down in char creation it bumps back for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nation posted:

another tip; if you put the pistol skill down in char creation it bumps back for free
To use the game's own terms: If you downgrade your pistol skill from Trained to Untrained during character creation, it will be Trained again when you start the game, saving you a bunch of skill points.

However, that's a bug that's only present in vanilla Deus Ex, not any of the mods. Kinda want to separate the wiki tips into "vanilla only bugs" and "general", come to think of it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hold tab to turn on your pip boy light. :ssh:

The pip boy light doesn't extend infinitely :ssh:

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Anything good for BroForce

If you run into a spot which is giving you trouble (which you might if you play on hard mode) you can cheese your way through with Time Bro by hitting F1 and going into slow motion mode. Normally this affects the player character along with everything else, but Time Bro runs at realtime.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

foozwak posted:

If you run into a spot which is giving you trouble (which you might if you play on hard mode) you can cheese your way through with Time Bro by hitting F1 and going into slow motion mode. Normally this affects the player character along with everything else, but Time Bro runs at realtime.

Okay, so BroForce has some amazing little things, but that might be the cream of the crop. Deserves a cross post in the PYF little things in games thread.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xander77 posted:

To use the game's own terms: If you downgrade your pistol skill from Trained to Untrained during character creation, it will be Trained again when you start the game, saving you a bunch of skill points.

However, that's a bug that's only present in vanilla Deus Ex, not any of the mods. Kinda want to separate the wiki tips into "vanilla only bugs" and "general", come to think of it.

Yeah, that's fixed in Biomod, along with a bunch of other exploitable bugs. Even first playthroughs should be using Biomod, IMO -- it fixes a lot of legit bugs and makes aug management so much less of a pain -- but it does mean a lot of clever little tricks like that no longer work.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

1redflag posted:

Okay, so BroForce has some amazing little things, but that might be the cream of the crop. Deserves a cross post in the PYF little things in games thread.

Thing is, people aren't sure if it's intentional or not, because his special power is practically the exact same thing, but only for a few seconds. That said, despite tons of updates since coming out of EA it's still there, and the developers almost certainly know about it. Still, would not be hugely surprised if it disappears eventually.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, that's fixed in Biomod, along with a bunch of other exploitable bugs. Even first playthroughs should be using Biomod, IMO -- it fixes a lot of legit bugs and makes aug management so much less of a pain -- but it does mean a lot of clever little tricks like that no longer work.

I literally just tried the untrained pistol exploit when starting a new DX: Revision playthrough and was wondering why it took like, half a minute to aim at a dude 20 feet away. Bleh!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here's without a doubt the single most important tip for DmC: Devil May Cry.

-The "skip cutscene" button is Backspace.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything for Tomb of Tyrants? The tutorial is still leaving me a little confused, like how I'm supposed to form these "rituals" from tiles.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"Phil the Sky" needs to be on the must-have Fallout 3 mod list

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Any tips for Trails in the Sky? The first one not the one that just came out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Any tips for Trails in the Sky? The first one not the one that just came out.

If you're gonna do side-jobs, do them all before doing the plot quest. Some of them have very small windows to complete them in.

Look at every chest you open after you've taken the treasure from it, I can't stress how important this is. You'll figure out why after a few of them :allears:.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Keep Cast and Action on everyone, and as up-to-date as possible. This will negate faster enemies' high speeds, trivialize slower enemies, and make bosses only get two turns in a row instead of three or four.

Time and Wind are pretty much the best offensive elements in the game, so definitely gear for those. See the magic list in the guidebook menu, it'll list the quartz combinations necessary to learn spells. Time's White Gehenna and Wind's two strongest attacks feature the most important tactical feature a spell can have: being able to center the spell on a specific tile instead of being forced to center their splash damage on an enemy like most spells. And I say "splash," but everything in their target range takes full damage. Magic has 100% accuracy, which is important when you don't want to frustratingly miss an enemy with single-digit HP remaining and some stupidly powerful spell in its repertoire.

Earthquake is also a powerful spell, but you won't be able to make the necessary quartz loadout for it until pretty much the end of the game.

The Earth Wall spells are kind of brokenly powerful since they fully negate the next attack a character takes, and they're super easy to get, but you won't really get enough MP to cast them all the time until late in the game.

Some enemies explode when they die and do huge damage. Sometimes, the Information quartz will tell you this in their status narration. Sometimes, you just get exploded on and die. Such is life.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I might need some advice for Spintires.

I played it for a while last night after grabbing it on the Humble Bundle for 9 bucks and I was fairly confused. I think the map I started on can actually be changed, I'll look into that later, but it was Flood and it was a pain. Looks like I need to make 8 lumber deliveries but I couldn't find a truck that'd haul lumber, and the garage was locked until I got 4 garage delivery points (?) and I don't know what I should be doing. I found all the trucks on the map, none of them seem like logging trucks, and I cleared all the fog of war stuff. Do I need to start on easier maps and unlock the garage and logging truck or something?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

At the starting garage you can add trailers and equipment to your trucks. To unlock new garages you need to carry 4 garage points from the starting one and unload them at the new one. You can do it in one trip with a 4 point trailer or two with a two pointer. Likewise you can hook up lumber trailer to a large truck at the garage.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Geirskogul posted:

"Phil the Sky" needs to be on the must-have Fallout 3 mod list
I cannot thank you enough for showing this to me. It will move my first Fallout 3 replay far up my queue.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for dragon quest heroes? I've played a lot of musou games but not much DQ, so anything you can tell me about gear, crafting, or skill point allocation would be good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for dragon quest heroes? I've played a lot of musou games but not much DQ, so anything you can tell me about gear, crafting, or skill point allocation would be good.

its super simple.

for gear, buy the best you can from the store and craft the best you can from the alchemist guy but don't go crazy on crafting because you'll be grinding for an advantage you don't actually need at all to kick the games rear end. instead of blowing mini medals and time on ingredients and recipes, horde your medals and use them to buy ultimate weapons.

for skill points, focus on the skills that have the following traits:
1. the characters face for an icon - these are your character special moves buy these first
2. lengthening tension time or restoring mp on crits - these make you have a longer super form and give you more magic to spam
3. the stat upgrades on the right that cost 3 - don't be buying the ones that cost 10 in your unique skill box like a chump when so many of them cost 3 next door.

for characters, they are all good but bianca is probably the strongest because she can just kill an entire wave whenever she wants as long as she has some mp. she has a super move that isn't as deadly as other characters and is prone to being wasted by bad aim, and her regular attacks are slow and weak, but her spells and tension mode are insane.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 31, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Internet Friend posted:

At the starting garage you can add trailers and equipment to your trucks. To unlock new garages you need to carry 4 garage points from the starting one and unload them at the new one. You can do it in one trip with a 4 point trailer or two with a two pointer. Likewise you can hook up lumber trailer to a large truck at the garage.

Could've sworn there wasn't a starting garage, might be that map, or is the delivery destination the garage? Cause I started on the road right next to that. Either way I'll figure it out if that's the way it's supposed to be, thanks.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Brightman posted:

Could've sworn there wasn't a starting garage, might be that map, or is the delivery destination the garage? Cause I started on the road right next to that. Either way I'll figure it out if that's the way it's supposed to be, thanks.

I hadn't played Flood since it's something they added to the game but I took a look. Those covered trailers that some of the trucks start with are worth 2 garage points each so your first goal is to get them to the garage.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Internet Friend posted:

I hadn't played Flood since it's something they added to the game but I took a look. Those covered trailers that some of the trucks start with are worth 2 garage points each so your first goal is to get them to the garage.

Haha, they got stuck on some stumps and I ditched them, that shows me. I know I could've winched them free but I decided they were probably more of a hindrance than anything, whoops.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I just started playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

I know the aren't particularly difficult games, but I remember that the previous games, including Super Mario RPG, had some items or secrets that were almost impossible to find out without a guide, or that required you to do some particular thing at some particular point that you had almost no way of knowing.

Anything like that in this game?

Also, I like being absurdly overpowered in RPGs. Is leveling up BP the way to go?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Look up Danger Mario, pretty sure that's the most powerful build you can do in that game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
BP is good to level. I haven't played it in a long time, but yeah that's the best way to pump up your base attack strength, and since the game works mostly on the assumption that you're doing single-digit damage, +1atk is huge.

There's one secret character to recruit and it's pretty hard to miss if you're in the habit of doing the request board stuff. She's actually pretty okay since her basic attack ignores enemies' defense scores.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

If you want to be absurdly overpowered then you want to use Danger Mario where you go visit the stat changing man to set your health to 5, but then you equip all the badges that give you more attack power and dodge chance when you're in danger, you can't do it right off the bat when you start but it's something to look forward too :v:

From what i remember there are quite a few "how the hell i was i suppose to find that" type of collectible but you can go back and get most everything so don't worry about that so much.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I wouldn't worry too much about breaking PM:TTYD for two reasons:

1. The game is really fun and has an interesting combat system with a lot of hidden tricks.
2. There are a lot of ways to break its combat system over your knee - I can think of three off the top of my head danger/peril mario, abusing attack-ups and multibounce, and powerlift and honestly figuring them out is pretty fun in itself.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Isn't there one really nasty part of the game where you're alone with limited abilities? I remember giving up on the game at that point.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

That would be Chapter 4 and it's the goddamn worse not because you're alone but more because you have to backtrack back and forth 3 or 4 times.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anything for Hand of Fate?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It's pretty straightforward, and given how short each run is you cannot rally screw yourself too much. A couple of tidbits:

- You can cancel an attack animation by dodging.
- Cycle "mastered" cards out of the deck unless they are very useful. Half of the fun is unlocking new stuff.
- The goblin card is useful to get a shield early on.
- If you have plenty of food, you can re-enter a shop to get new items for sale.
- You don't know what an item does until you equip it OR you see it on sale on a shop. So check every shop even if you have no money.
- Try to get the best result on the River card while wearing light armor
- Traps affect enemies, too.
- You can get some really silly combos with the magic items, but sadly only unlimited mode (or whatever it's called) gives you enough time to pull them off consistently.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 2, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Bloodborne?

The webpage only has a few cryptic hints, and I appreciate that, but are there any suggested builds to follow or weapons/items to hunt down/ignore. E.g., how smash damage was particularly effective for most of the story in Dark Souls 2?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I only watched my friend play it but one of the axes (?) was really good because you could swing twice at their back and stagger the enemies, staggering seems really powerful because you can't use a shield.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

1redflag posted:

Bloodborne?

The webpage only has a few cryptic hints, and I appreciate that, but are there any suggested builds to follow or weapons/items to hunt down/ignore. E.g., how smash damage was particularly effective for most of the story in Dark Souls 2?

You really don't want too many spoilers for a souls game. Go in blind, you only get one chance to enjoy it that way. You can always look up every item in the wiki in subsequent runs. So don't rob yourself of that experience!

Bloodborne's stats are way less important than other souls games and largely homogenized to the point where I and some others think the game could have just done away with stats and been the better for it.

Starting out, the threaded cane is significantly harder to use than the other two options, the axe or the saw. I would recommend using one of the other two first.

Focus mainly on survival, Vitality and Endurance or whatever they're called for the early game. Get those way high early game, just get more HP and Stamina because that keeps you alive. Weapons at low level have very little scaling, none of them do. So don't get disappointed that your favorite weapon has poo poo scaling, it'll get better. You can put a few points into STR or SKL to meet the equip requirements of weapons, but otherwise don't worry about those stats much. You have to upgrade them up to like +6 before you see lots of scaling. By the time you get the materials to get to +6 you'll be so high level that you won't have to worry about putting points into Vit and End anymore, then you can worry about damage stats like Strength, Skill, Arcane or Bloodtinge. Pick one or two of those to focus on. Strength and Skill are more important than Bloodtinge or Arcane but do whatever you want. Weapons actually have a gem system like diablo that lets you slightly modify / boost their scaling as well.

The biggest thing about Bloodborne especially different from other Souls games is the regain system. Doing damage to enemies right after you take damage will automatically heal you for most of the damage you took, if you do enough damage. This makes Bloodborne a far more offensive game than souls games, also combined with the lack of shields means that playing almost a berzerker who intentionally takes some hits but dishes them back out right away is far more successful than the usual "turtle behind a shield" strategy from souls games. You'll have to get a feel for the timing of it, and obviously you still can't just take all the hits or you'll die, but you really want to be very fearless in Bloodborne compared to previous games.

The other big change is that parrying and backstabs are out, instead you can do a special type of parry using guns only. Timing a gun shot at the right moment (takes lots of practice) will make the target vulnerable, pressing R1 quickly at this time will trigger a visceral attack. Visceral attacks do INSANE damage and are extremely powerful, some bosses can be taken down by a couple quick visceral attacks that would otherwise be very long and difficult fights. Its worth practicing how to do it.

That's really all you should know going into the game.

If you really want a last slightly spoilery tip to save yourself from possibly messing up something to do with the multiple endings: DO NOT KILL IOSEFKA. DONT DO IT. If you do you get a really good crest you can't get otherwise, however doing so means you HAVE to save the whore Adrianna or else you CAN NOT fight the final boss. You'll be forced into one of the endings which is slightly less satisfying. If you want the crest, go save Adrianna first then you can kill Iosefka, but to be safe just don't kill Iosefka under any circumstances. That's all, that's the only real thing you can do that shoots yourself in the foot permanently.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 2, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Anything for Hand of Fate?

- Always visit stores that might sell any items you haven't identified yet, you don't need to buy them in order to learn what they do. Stores can also change their inventory if you re-visit them.

- Always keep as much food with you as possible, you never know when a Pain card will destroy a bunch of it and leave you to starve. A lot of beneficial events also require you to give food, sometimes quite a bit of it especially later on.

- You'll keep any tokens you won even if you die or forfeit a game, so it might be worth it to go for a token even if it'll cause problems in your current playthrough. For example Cursed Treasure will give you 3-5 curses if you open it, but is also the only way to get its token and thus its permanent unlock.

- It's impossible to stack your deck with purely beneficial cards like The Maiden and Soul Gem as there's very few of them, so keep an eye on the rewards you get from other cards as well. Maze of Traps for example is a great card since there's no luck involved in beating it and the traps are fairly easy to avoid, while Dead King's Hall requires you to fight but usually pays off better than most other combat encounters. Stuff like that.

- As you progress through the game, previously good cards can also start becoming worse so don't hesitate to change things around. Treasure Chest for example eventually becomes really dangerous as it more often than not turns out to be a Mimic even if you manage to reach and open it.

- In combat it's usually better to keep combos short as you'll lose the whole combo if you keep swinging at an enemy that just died, and most bosses will go for a counterattack after they take a set number of hits in a row. That can also be exploited to your advantage since it makes it easier to predict their actions.

- The DLC encounter chain (Starts with "Land Locked Lubber") culminates in an extremely tough boss fight that you can't remove from your deck until you beat it. It nets some pretty great rewards once beaten, including two purely beneficial cards and very powerful equipment, but it's brutal if you happen to stumble on it early in a dungeon and with bad luck it could even be the first card you step on. The encounter that unlocks it is called Sea Journey, which is also a tough encounter to clear since it requires a bunch of Success cards in a row.

- There's no limit to the amount of rings you can wear, so powerful rings are a good way to fill your equipment slots. There's one curse that punishes you for it, but it's pretty rare. They also attract bandits which might ambush you when you enter a store, but that's usually no big deal.

- Speaking of curses, there are some really nasty ones later on, for example Cowardice (incapable of choosing combat options in encounters) is pretty much a game ruiner. Having money saved so that you can remove them is a good idea, and Soul Gem should have a permanent place in your deck once you unlock it as it allows you to remove a random curse in exchange for 5 food.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

1redflag posted:

Bloodborne?

Your first character should be a physical attacker, either based on strength or skill (I think it's called skill in this game instead of Dex). There's some wizard poo poo you can do later with an arcane focused character, but until you're more familiar with where to find it and how the game plays, an arcane or gun-focused character is going to be super frustrating and unfun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

avoid skill for the first run unless you are married to the cane. there are few good skill weapons until mid game.

pick the ax, pump strength, and you are good for a long loving while once you get the rhythm of combat down.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

Your first character should be a physical attacker, either based on strength or skill (I think it's called skill in this game instead of Dex). There's some wizard poo poo you can do later with an arcane focused character, but until you're more familiar with where to find it and how the game plays, an arcane or gun-focused character is going to be super frustrating and unfun.

Nice. You and the poster below you provided the exact advice I was looking for (and also thanks to the guy who did the effort post above).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Can someone give me a pants-on-head combat tip for Witcher 3? I'm using Oils and signs compatible so that's not a problem but just a general 'what do I need to know to not suck at combat because I keep getting damaged and whiffing' would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Southern Heel posted:

Can someone give me a pants-on-head combat tip for Witcher 3? I'm using Oils and signs compatible so that's not a problem but just a general 'what do I need to know to not suck at combat because I keep getting damaged and whiffing' would be amazing.

When fighting monsters dodge is your friend, get a couple of hits in and back away before the inevitable counter. If possible, try to dodge around to the back of them because back hits are very likely to crit. If you're getting hit a lot it's probably worth investing in Quen and using it often. Are you locking on to enemies? That should help with whiffing (unless you're really far away from them).