Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You need a character with a good Perception skill (not sure the minimum), and it should be in their quick toggle selection. If you click the magnifying glass icon, you'll see a white circle extend around the character which will reveal hidden stuff (depending on skill checks and all that). If you recruit Pizepi before hitting the Rail Nomad camp, she has a high enough perception to reveal mines. You'll want someone who is good with Demolitions to disarm them, though.
I put Perception and Demolitions on my main character and that seemed to be a good combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I love CharOp guides written by spreglords for this game. If you have to have a guy for Charisma because of Leadership, you have to go all the way 10 Charisma and all the way 10 Int because Cha is useless, ergo any points spent there make the character useless, so you might as well go all the way. The 10 Int follows that theme, to "exploit" the only other use of Cha, the xp bonus, by putting as many xp gaining skills on that guy as possible. loving brilliant. Now you have a lovely brick of a character hoovering up all of the xp and gaining levels all over the place, but still not actually being useful because he probably only goes once for every two or three enemy turns in the average combat and moves so slow that his team regularly outpaces his 10 Cha leadership bubble. I think that gem is in one of the Steam guides.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I think my leader has 5? Maybe 6 cha, and that's all the range I need.

Soonmot posted:

Also: Do the leadership perks stack? I've just bought the second one for 5% to hit reduction, do I have a total of 8% with the previous perk, or did I seriously waste a point on +2%?

This is seriously unclear. There are so many perks like this and the Handguns' Bandit/Gunslinger/Desperado perks throws the language off so hard, because they specifically say they "increase the chance to" the new amount.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

S.T.C.A. posted:

I think my leader has 5? Maybe 6 cha, and that's all the range I need.

I forget, does Leadership have a visual effect bubble like Perception? If not, that could be useful (hint hint Brother None).

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

buttcoinbrony posted:

I forget, does Leadership have a visual effect bubble like Perception? If not, that could be useful (hint hint Brother None).

Yes, it does. There's a little icon (I think it's blue with a flag?) above the portrait of the character with leadership. I think mousing over that icon will show the area that the leadership affects.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Even an extra 2% miss chance for enemies is significant in the long run, considering the number of attacks flying your direction, including burst fire where each shot rolls separately to hit at an already reduced chance. That Leadership bonus is stacking on top of the evade chance from stats/perks/traits/cover/etc. A point of luck is what, .5% evade? So there's 4 points of effective luck to any party member being attacked by an affected enemy for that perk point, meaning those two perk points you've spent are worth 10 Luck in evasion. Not a bad investment for a whole party buff, IMO.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Even an extra 2% miss chance for enemies is significant in the long run, considering the number of attacks flying your direction, including burst fire where each shot rolls separately to hit at an already reduced chance. That Leadership bonus is stacking on top of the evade chance from stats/perks/traits/cover/etc. A point of luck is what, .5% evade? So there's 4 points of effective luck to any party member being attacked by an affected enemy for that trait point, meaning those two trait points you've spent are worth 10 Luck in evasion. Not a bad investment for a whole party buff, IMO.

And when you add in the decreasing rogue chance for followers, it's solid. It definitely allows you to slow your spending on the weapon skills.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I went with the 10int 10cha minmax build on my team. It worked really well. He was explosives, lockpicking, safecracking, first aid, and leadership. The radius on his stuff was huge, he was rolling in skill points, the new leadership accuracy debuff perks were great. If he needed to deal damage he always had a fuckload of grenades due to improvised explosives from mines. Being able to stack a ton of skills on him helped a lot because it freed me up to put other stats on my killer characters.

It may seem very :games: but it does work. He contributes a lot just by standing there.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Sperging over min/max is like working real hard for an extra fraction of performance gain. As long as your team is well-rounded, the game is not super complicated. You could average every team member with 4-5 points in all attributes and still be ok. It seems the most important points of the game are weapons distribution, skill distribution, and having NPCs that fill gaps. I'm not going to lose sleep because I took 6 Int and 6 Coordination instead of 8 Int and 4 Coordination and now I'm -1 Kiss rear end than I need for a dialog option. Min/Maxing also assumes you will never ever never ever ever dear god never let one of your starting team die early on.

If that's your game, then ok, I guess run with it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Haroshia posted:

I went with the 10int 10cha minmax build on my team. It worked really well. He was explosives, lockpicking, safecracking, first aid, and leadership. The radius on his stuff was huge, he was rolling in skill points, the new leadership accuracy debuff perks were great. If he needed to deal damage he always had a fuckload of grenades due to improvised explosives from mines. Being able to stack a ton of skills on him helped a lot because it freed me up to put other stats on my killer characters.

It may seem very :games: but it does work. He contributes a lot just by standing there.

It would be better if I could see the loving Leadership aura like in "classic". Then I'd know how aggressive I could be with my flanking and advancement while still keeping the slow bastard close enough to debuff the next pack of enemies by shuffling him forwards on his turn. I guess giving him Twitchy would help a lot.

E: A dude with 5-6 Charisma (+a trinket and a point or two from levels) and better all around stats can still work in Leadership and keep up with the pack better while providing way more robust tactical options and action economy for the whole squad.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 3, 2015

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Sorry if this is a dumb post but can someone give me a quick run down of important things to do before California?
I've got a full team and I'm loaded up with items and ammo but I wasn't sure if I should stick around or just get to da choppa

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Because I was interested, I decided to make two Leadership characters, one with Int/Cha 10 and another with different stat layout.

code:
Coordination 2 Luck 1 Awareness 1 Strength 1 Speed 3  Intelligence 10 Charisma 10  Action Points 7 Combat Initiative 7 

Evasion 3% Con 29 Combat Speed 2.0 Carry Weight 57 Con/Level 7  Trait: Twitchy (raises Combat Speed to 2.4, -10% accuracy though)

Coordination 4 Luck 1 Awareness 4 Strength 2 Speed 8  Intelligence   4 Charisma   5  Action Points 8 Combat Initiative 13 

Evasion 10% Con 32 Combat Speed 2.6 Carry Weight 69 Con/Level 8  Trait: Delayed Gratification 
The second option gets you a much better team member right from the start who will continue to contribute in combat all game long. Finding a dog collar for loot isn't very hard, so that boosts the Ranger's Cha to 6. Delayed Gratification effectively gives our soldier 8 int to the other's 10 for the vast majority of the game. Apparently the level cap was raised so that trait is a better deal than if it existed in the vanilla version. I think it might be overkill, but I thought I'd try to get the characters as close to function as possible. Still, give this guy a few xp grinding skills to expedite his journey to 10 (and another point of CHA!) and then just enjoy the ride from there. Keep raising Cha or raise combat stats to taste. Probably not "optimized" for weapon AP or whatever horseshit I glanced over in a couple guides, but I know which soldier I'd take.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Well, i figured out why I wasn't spotting booby traps. I never took perception on any of my characters and didn't have a follower with the skill. OOPS!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I spread my speech skills out around the party instead of putting them all on one person, am I the only one who does that? My charismatic leader had Kiss rear end, my ultra-smart tech/repair person had Smart rear end, and the big strong dumb brawler had Hard rear end. Seems like a way better option than cramming them all onto one character, because you can spread the skill point cost around, instead of having to pour all a character's levels into speech skills to get all the options.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

I spread my speech skills out around the party instead of putting them all on one person, am I the only one who does that? My charismatic leader had Kiss rear end, my ultra-smart tech/repair person had Smart rear end, and the big strong dumb brawler had Hard rear end. Seems like a way better option than cramming them all onto one character, because you can spread the skill point cost around, instead of having to pour all a character's levels into speech skills to get all the options.

This is the only sane way to do it, in my opinion.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

It's really the best way. It's doable to have two speech skills on a person, but they're pretty much a dedicated face character at that point. Having all three on a single character is possible, but it's rough and at least one of the skills is going to suffer.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Even then, I'd imagine Smart and Kiss rear end would cover most of the important "good ending" outcomes. You can get by for a good while on Angela if you give her an extra point or two in Hard rear end. If you don't care, just take one guy with the rear end in a top hat trait that maxes Hard rear end and locks out the other two. That's a pile of points saved from three skills right there.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Haroshia posted:

I'm having fun with that kind of character too. I gave him Smart rear end for the 2x charisma perk and you can recruit anyone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What do you need to do to trigger the dude to make the new Rad suits for you after giving him the kitty litter?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Try walking around outside (on the world map) for a bit until you get a mission

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

NESguerilla posted:

What do you need to do to trigger the dude to make the new Rad suits for you after giving him the kitty litter?

Im right there with you, just beat whittier and you should be good. I just beat it and unlocked the priest in santa fe along with the new rad suit

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Is the Director's Cut worth the purchase? I'm interested in playing but I wasn't that taken by the original game. How significant are the changes?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

bakka bakka posted:

Is the Director's Cut worth the purchase? I'm interested in playing but I wasn't that taken by the original game. How significant are the changes?

Better graphics, some gun rebalancing, some bug fixes. If you almost liked the original, this might put you over the edge. If you weren't that interested, the bulk of it will remain the same amount of uninteresting.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

bakka bakka posted:

If you legitimately own the original, you should have received the Director's Cut for free anyway.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm having a good time with Wasteland 2 DC on my PC, but I'm getting a TON of random crashes to desktop that I never saw in the original game. None of the supposed fixes do anything and it's the only game I have that's acting up. :iiam:

It's fundamentally the same game, just a little better. The character system is still a mess, but combat skills are better balanced now so it's harder to screw yourself and the perks add some flavor to it. I liked the first game overall so I like this more, but if W2 was the kind of game you hated the DC won't change that.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 4, 2015

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

OAquinas posted:

Given a Real, It-Finally-Happened Apocalypse, I think most people would probably start trying to wear tires and mohawks. What the hell--when in Radioactive Rome, right? It's not like you'd get the Dread Raider Chainsaw to admit that he's actually an accountant from Boulder who was serving time for embezzlement.
Not to mention that surely plenty of the former prisoners are the everyday villagers and citizens of the peaceful compounds, as well. It is just that the ones who were in for violent offenses did not all decide to revoke their peacetime ways.

If I had to guess, Darwin's Village is the place least likely to be made up largely of former convicts, as its power structure seems pretty well established by the time the Rangers take over. Las Vegas might have been as-is, too. But Quartz, Needles, Rail Nomads, Savage Village, they could all easily be largely former prisoners...probably not the Agricultural Center or Highpool, though. And Guardian Citadel...uh. I am humiliated to not be able to entirely remember if they were a pre-existing order of weirdos or could have also been in part recruits from the prison.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The real quality of life change is that the interacting (lockpicking, etc) finishes way faster than the original game. Wasteland 1 was largely this and good god did it take forever.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like there's a new patch on Steam. Supposed to be hitting GOG and other places in the next day or so. The console versions are in certification now.

E: Found some patch notes

docbeard fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 5, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Looks like there's a new patch on Steam. Supposed to be hitting GOG and other places in the next day or so. The console versions are in certification now.

E: Found some patch notes

quote:

Increased the effects of Manic Depressive to +2/-2 to Attributes, to make it a bit more compelling to select.
Reduced the effects of Disparnumerophobia to +1/-1 to Attributes.

There goes the primary reason for choosing it. The +2 bonus was nice.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Disparnumerophobia nooooooooooooooooo

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Quarex posted:

Disparnumerophobia nooooooooooooooooo

Eh, just edit in 14 unspent stat points for each ranger and skip the level tapdancing act.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

quote:

Reduced the Improvised Explosives salvage chance slightly

But I've only gotten 2 sticks of TNT off of about 20 traps. drat it. At least energy weapons are still garbage.

Doesn't anyone know the to hit calculation for melee weapons? Coordination is only supposed to affect range. So, I gimped that stat for my melee dude. But she can't hit poo poo.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pvt.Scott posted:

Eh, just edit in 14 unspent stat points for each ranger and skip the level tapdancing act.
Thinking about it. Perhaps my clowns will believe that every number is lucky.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Unless I misread, Master Hunter now makes shotguns 100% party-friendly, which should make them a lot more viable.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I'm having a good time with Wasteland 2 DC on my PC, but I'm getting a TON of random crashes to desktop that I never saw in the original game. None of the supposed fixes do anything and it's the only game I have that's acting up. :iiam:

It's fundamentally the same game, just a little better. The character system is still a mess, but combat skills are better balanced now so it's harder to screw yourself and the perks add some flavor to it. I liked the first game overall so I like this more, but if W2 was the kind of game you hated the DC won't change that.

Do you have an AMD card, and are they happening in the menus mainly? If so it's a bug they are working on, just switch to DX9 mode to fix it for now.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Unless I misread, Master Hunter now makes shotguns 100% party-friendly, which should make them a lot more viable.
Yeah, Master Hunter now removes any chance of friendly fire from shotguns. It owns.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I made an "officer" character with smartass kissass leadership pistols + that trait that gives you bonus damage against low health enemies. Works great. His lower initiative is handy because he always goes last and finishes off any survivors maximizing the trait benefit.

EDIT where can you get more bbs? I was thinking of making a party based around 1 sniper with red ryder bb gun (1 AP to fire with deadeye perk) for stripping away armor and arming everybody else with shot guns and SMGs.

White Phosphorus fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 5, 2015

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Having a ton of fun once I just said gently caress it and played through rather than minmaxing. Ended up in LA with my crew plus VC, Takayuki, Scotchmo as my ~MASTER HUNTER~ (seriously great that they fixed his lack of voiceover in some areas), The Night Terror, Red because I forgot about his dumb rear end following me, and most importantly: Vax. How anyone can hate him is beyond me. I dutifully repair him should any fuckers get close enough to do him harm.

Zero toaster repair, haven't even spent all my perk points (barely spent any pre-LA) and all my rangers are Ascetics. Still, everything dies. Not about to play on the hardest difficulty but even on Ranger, the no-healing-on-levelup doesn't really matter. I can see this having been a slog pre-DC though, since anyone who doesn't do serious damage is put on precision strike detail, which is probably why everything dies. Plus, Vax.

I would be ecstatic if they add an Iron Man/Permadeath mode where you can't reload your saves, saves are only there to keep your progress going in between play sessions.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

VAX is the best murderbot.

Just don't get between him and whatever he wants to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope the "old unique weapons" that have been improved include things like Hoblets Problem Solver and Crowd Control Shotgun. Especially the latter is only attainable around the time you should have a jackhammer, and it would be nice if it was closer to that level.

• Locked thread