Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Do you need a C-series motherboard to get ECC working with ECC-enabled Skylake i3's? I've seen support listed on a few MSI B/H/Z boards but can't find it that means that it will correct errors or just not catch fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

spoof posted:

Do you need a C-series motherboard to get ECC working with ECC-enabled Skylake i3's? I've seen support listed on a few MSI B/H/Z boards but can't find it that means that it will correct errors or just not catch fire.
Just the "it'll actually POST" part. You still need C-series to have actually working ECC.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Thanks. It's the answer I was expecting but hoping to be wrong. Looks like I need to wait for the X11SAE-M.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Are the new Skylate chipsets EXTREMELY picky about the RAM they work with?

I spent the better part of 3 days trying to track down some compatible RAM for my new build, only to find that 90% of the local electronics retails were dumb as rocks ("Oh yeah just buy any DDR4 memory and it will work") or just completely out of stock for what I know would work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Typically "Oh yeah just buy any DDR4 memory and it will work" is accurate

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's held true since they were first introduced: basically anything without heatspreaders will be the best ram you can get, both in terms of cost, but also in terms of long term reliability. Performance has been meaningless since the latter part of the DDR2 era, so you can get whatever's cheapest from any name brand you like.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wicaeed posted:

I spent the better part of 3 days trying to track down some compatible RAM for my new build, only to find that 90% of the local electronics retails were dumb as rocks ("Oh yeah just buy any DDR4 memory and it will work") or just completely out of stock for what I know would work.

It's extremely rare for RAM to be incompatible with other parts of your system unless you get into :pcgaming: overclocked ram with weird voltages. The only time it happened for me it turned out that the RAM stick in question must have had some fault because it worked but died soon after in another PC.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Wicaeed posted:

Most motherboard manufacturers will list RAM that's certified to work with the mobo in a support doc on the web. I'd recommend finding that and then just ordering something known-good from newegg/amazon

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

pmchem posted:

Most motherboard manufacturers will list RAM that's certified to work with the mobo in a support doc on the web. I'd recommend finding that and then just ordering something known-good from newegg/amazon
This is a smart thing to do as a response to having problems with your board not accepting RAM that is known to be working. But it's also worth clarifying that these lists are generally rather short lists of stuff they tested and 99.9% of the time you can just use whatever you feel like whether it is on the list or not and it will work great.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Oracle is announcing a new line of servers at OpenWorld based on a new Sparc processor called the M7.

quote:

It has the usual improvements you'd expect in a new chip -- more cores, bigger caches, higher bandwidth -- but more interesting are software functions Oracle has embedded into the silicon to improve the performance and security of applications.

They include a memory protection technology that could provide a new level of security for in-memory databases, and an acceleration engine that allows data to be decompressed in near-real time for analytics, allowing for wider use of compressed data.

The processor has 32 cores, up from 12 in the M6, and a clock speed that tops out 15 percent faster, at 4.1GHz. It has four times the cache per core as its predecessor, and doubles memory bandwidth.

Oracle claims its new servers run common benchmarks like SpecJ with full encryption and still best those of rivals like IBM.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rastor posted:

Oracle is announcing a new line of servers at OpenWorld based on a new Sparc processor called the M7.

can it run crysis?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Oracle has been making their own processors for a while but I don't believe it even holds a single percent of the market even for HPC.

Last I heard it went something like 90% Intel, 9% IBM and 1% Other.

I'm completely lost as to what runs on those servers other than some legacy Solaris Application.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Oracle has been making their own processors for a while but I don't believe it even holds a single percent of the market even for HPC.

Last I heard it went something like 90% Intel, 9% IBM and 1% Other.

I'm completely lost as to what runs on those servers other than some legacy Solaris Application.

SPARC has pretty much never been top of the performance heap even when RISC was king (compared to e.g. Alpha or MIPS or POWER).

So, yes, legacy Solaris applications, but there are still quite a few of those out there. They're still the biggest commercial UNIX left standing.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I Just came into an old dual-e5440 setup out of sheer luck and took it out of curiosity. gonna see how well it handles gaming.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Can someone tell me where the Core M 5y10c sits performance wise compared to a i3 2310m?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Marginally faster according to CpuBoss and Passmark comparisons.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-2310M-vs-Intel-Core-M-5Y10c
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2464&cmp[]=756

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Grundulum posted:

My work machine has an i7-3930k in it; 6 physical cores with two-way hyperthreading, so 12 logical cores. When I try to run jobs that use more than one core, I get the distinct impression that I'm being throttled due to thermal considerations. That leads me to two questions:

(1) Where can I find the core-by-core breakdown of maximum speeds for this processor, assuming just the stock cooling setup?
(2) If I buy one of the coolers recommended in the PC parts thread, will it fit both this processor and Skylake/beyond? I intend to replace this machine eventually, and a cooler seems like it ought to be reusable.

May we get what OS you are using and perhaps a glimpse of what you are doing that has you think this?

I have the same CPU that turbos up to 4.4Ghz but it is sometimes a bit finicky at actually getting full clock usage when doing things that aren't multi-threaded.

If you are on Windows 7 or newer, try switching the Power Profile from Balanced to High Performance and see if the performance is closer to what you might expect.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

May we get what OS you are using and perhaps a glimpse of what you are doing that has you think this?

I have the same CPU that turbos up to 4.4Ghz but it is sometimes a bit finicky at actually getting full clock usage when doing things that aren't multi-threaded.

If you are on Windows 7 or newer, try switching the Power Profile from Balanced to High Performance and see if the performance is closer to what you might expect.

I'm on Windows 8.1, and I run OpenMP jobs for physics research with anywhere from 2 to 10 threads per job. Never more than 10 threads in use at a time, but even when I am running 6 or fewer serial jobs things are slower than I think they should be just from looking at clock speeds. I will mess with the Power Profile and see what shakes out. Thanks for the tip.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

As an addendum, actually go into the advanced settings of your chosen power profile and make sure max CPU usage is actually set to something sensible. Mine was set to 5% for a long time due to an apparently long known but never fixed bug.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

NLJP posted:

As an addendum, actually go into the advanced settings of your chosen power profile and make sure max CPU usage is actually set to something sensible. Mine was set to 5% for a long time due to an apparently long known but never fixed bug.

? What sort of bug?

In every Windows version since Vista, (baring the stupid customized ones OEM's create). There are 3 main settings. High performance (which CPU is 100% for both), Balanced (5% idle, 100% Max) and High Performance (100% all the time).

Running Balanced is usually the best bet but I find sometimes certain apps/games don't push the cores to 100% clock properly and using High Performance kicks it up properly to get full performance in a core or two. It is really weird and I wonder if it has something to do with HT. Haven't disabled it to see if that is the case yet though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EdEddnEddy posted:

? What sort of bug?

In every Windows version since Vista, (baring the stupid customized ones OEM's create). There are 3 main settings. High performance (which CPU is 100% for both), Balanced (5% idle, 100% Max) and High Performance (100% all the time).

Running Balanced is usually the best bet but I find sometimes certain apps/games don't push the cores to 100% clock properly and using High Performance kicks it up properly to get full performance in a core or two. It is really weird and I wonder if it has something to do with HT. Haven't disabled it to see if that is the case yet though.

One thing is that in balanced mode, the computer will typically favor reducing clock rate before increasing fan speed to manage heat, while in high performance mode, it will always try to increase fan speed before reducing clock rate.

So with certain workloads, you'll end up never hitting 100% clock rate in balanced while in others you will.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

One thing is that in balanced mode, the computer will typically favor reducing clock rate before increasing fan speed to manage heat, while in high performance mode, it will always try to increase fan speed before reducing clock rate.

So with certain workloads, you'll end up never hitting 100% clock rate in balanced while in others you will.

Interesting. So would allowing the processor speed to throttle down in "high performance" still yield better results than balanced? IIRC default minimum processor state is 100%

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

Interesting. So would allowing the processor speed to throttle down in "high performance" still yield better results than balanced? IIRC default minimum processor state is 100%

You're better off changing the settings in balanced mode, rather than messing around with high performance mode.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Isn't that adjusted from the Cooling Policy from Passive to Active? Most other more direct fan profile settings are in the Motherboard Bios.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, I think balanced is set to active cooling by default. Mine is set that way anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Thanks for this part of the discussion. I went to check the power options for poo poo and giggles, turns out there's suddenly an option under "Sleep" to tell Windows to gently caress off about wake timers. Not sure if it was always in Windows 10 or if it's part of the insider builds. Or if it was there even before Windows 10. Either way, I hope it'll stop pulling my machine out of suspend for every little poo poo thing that happens.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
does anyone know if the upcoming broadwell-e will have iris pro 6200 like the 5775c?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lufiron posted:

does anyone know if the upcoming broadwell-e will have iris pro 6200 like the 5775c?

E cpu's do not have onboard video. Even if they did there would be no motherboards with video outputs.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

E cpu's do not have onboard video. Even if they did there would be no motherboards with video outputs.

Ah ok thanks

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don Lapre posted:

I don't care much about the video output, but that L4 cache would sure be nice...

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Torn now for my next build, between Broadwell and a DDR4 platform for whatever the heck non-volatile 3D XPoint storage Intel wants to cram into that slot

randomly, if i ever said anything bad about game developers i take it back; i can empathize with not having the resources or connections to access the level of development that gets closest to the metal to make games less cpu-intensive

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 6, 2015

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.
I put this in the build thread, but since it seems to be something with the chipset and ACPI I thought I'd put it here in case someone had run into it.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($339.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($333.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.51 @ Newegg)
Total: $1599.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-18 17:08 EDT-0400

Finally got this put together the other night. Unfortunately, whenever I leave it alone for any length of time I come back to a bluescreen saying my BIOS isn't ACPI compliant, and I'm experiencing intermittent crashes in games. I also have two Error 56s (Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device (5). and also for child device (1)) in my Event Viewer whenever I boot up (Win 7 x64 Ultimate). I've updated the BIOS, reinstalled Windows, and tried another identical motherboard/SSD/vidoe card/etc (the benefit of building 2 identical PCs at once). Based on what I can find:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...200dc160?auth=1
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?77522-Maximus-VIII-Hero-Freezeing-(ACPI-error-)/
It seems like there might be a problem with the Z170 boards on a hardware/chipset driver level.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Torn now for my next build, between Broadwell and a DDR4 platform for whatever the heck non-volatile 3D XPoint storage Intel wants to cram into that slot
Eh, I just looked up why you mention DDR4 together with Xpoint. From what I've just read on the web, it seems they're targeting 2017 for Xpoint DIMMs, and apparently also needs support for that format.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

? What sort of bug?

This is the reply I got when I had the problem I was talking about. No idea if this is the partiicular issue that is affecting Grundulum but here's the quote anyway:

A Bad King posted:

It is an extremely common Windows 10-interfacing-with-Intel-DTPF-driver issue that will never ever resolve itself. The best course of action is the disable intel DTPF drivers in your BIOS. edit: *IF* you have the settings even available, otherwise you're going to have to go the long way around the issue by editing the actual registry keys for Intel's DTPF driver -- I can help you with this via PM.

What happens is, Windows 10 fails utterly to communicate with Intel's DTPF driver-set to throttle up after Sleep. You remain at a <9watt power level (for -U and below series) or <15watts for desktops forever, or until a reboot.

A lot of people are suffering, many without even knowing it. It's been brought up in this thread before, and if you look at the Windows 10 feedback portal it is practically one of the most discussed serious issues.

AMD chips are unaffected, because AMD is bad but good at being bad.

So yeah I had to fiddle my power plan settings etc and now everything works swimmingly but it's a pretty bullshit bug. I don't think its immensely common but I bet it affects quite a few people who have no idea. I didn't fiddle in BIOS though.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 6, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

frood posted:

I put this in the build thread, but since it seems to be something with the chipset and ACPI I thought I'd put it here in case someone had run into it.

Finally got this put together the other night. Unfortunately, whenever I leave it alone for any length of time I come back to a bluescreen saying my BIOS isn't ACPI compliant, and I'm experiencing intermittent crashes in games. I also have two Error 56s (Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device (5). and also for child device (1)) in my Event Viewer whenever I boot up (Win 7 x64 Ultimate). I've updated the BIOS, reinstalled Windows, and tried another identical motherboard/SSD/vidoe card/etc (the benefit of building 2 identical PCs at once). Based on what I can find:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...200dc160?auth=1
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?77522-Maximus-VIII-Hero-Freezeing-(ACPI-error-)/
It seems like there might be a problem with the Z170 boards on a hardware/chipset driver level.

We had an issue with an ASRock h110 board and gskill memory. Other people on newegg did as well. Replacing it with basic crucial ddr4 sticks (no heat spreaders) fixed all of our issues. Was having lots of crashes and blue screens.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 6, 2015

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, I just looked up why you mention DDR4 together with Xpoint. From what I've just read on the web, it seems they're targeting 2017 for Xpoint DIMMs, and apparently also needs support for that format.

Correct - no CPU you buy today will likely be able to use XPoint. Further, their targets are server for what Intel has announced.

Any particular reason you want it? Are you running in-memory databases on your desktop?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why wouldn't one want XPoint, if it's even faster solid state memory? --edit: I mean with NVMe interface.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why wouldn't one want XPoint, if it's even faster solid state memory? --edit: I mean with NVMe interface.

Assuming it costs the same, of course I'd want XPoint. I doubt it will be cost effective for desktop users in 2016/2017.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Intel hasn't shown any desire to use xpoint as a flash ram replacement in SSD's or phones or what have you.

They are targeting server memory via specialty DIMMs that allow a huge increase in the amount of memory a server can have, by using a blend of xpoint and regular memory on a single DIMM. This is either managed by the CPU itself or by an 'xpoint aware' memory manager (or both!)

On the consumer front, I'd actually expect Apple to be the first ones to use xpoint in their mac pro series. They have the total control over hardware and operating system you need to turn around such a product quickly, and price isn't the first concern for people purchasing workstation class mac products. Xpoint in a high end laptop would also make a lot of sense, if the price is justifiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Combat Pretzel posted:

So you mean with a drive interface? Then yeah, compatibility of processor won't matter, as long as it has PCIe.

Still not sure it will be of any use, but we'll have to see what they come out with. It's going to be more expensive than flash.