Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
From this long-rear end article:

New York Times posted:

Anna didn’t want to keep her feelings secret. As far as she knew, neither did D.J. In recent weeks, their relationship had changed, and it wasn’t clear when or how to share the news. ‘‘It’s your call,’’ she said to him in the lead-up to a meeting with his mother and older brother. ‘‘It’s your family. It’s up to you.’’

When she arrived at the house on Memorial Day in 2011, Anna didn’t know what D.J. planned to do. His brother, Wesley, was working in the garden, so she went straight inside to speak with D.J. and his mother, P. They chatted for a while at the dining table about D.J.’s plans for school and for getting his own apartment. Then there was a lull in the conversation after Wesley came back in, and Anna took hold of D.J.’s hand. ‘‘We have something to tell you,’’ they announced at last. ‘‘We’re in love.’’

‘‘What do you mean, in love?’’ P. asked, the color draining from her face.

To Wesley, she looked pale and weak, like ‘‘Caesar when he found out that Brutus betrayed him.’’ He felt sick to his stomach. What made them so uncomfortable was not that Anna was 41 and D.J. was 30, or that Anna is white and D.J. is black, or even that Anna was married with two children while D.J. had never dated anyone. What made them so upset — what led to all the arguing that followed, and the criminal trial and million-­dollar civil suit — was the fact that Anna can speak and D.J. can’t; that she was a tenured professor of ethics at Rutgers University in Newark and D.J. has been declared by the state to have the mental capacity of a toddler.

tl;dr:

• Super-liberal disability advocate seeks out severely disabled black man in search for elusive Least Privileged Man
  • Offers his caregivers a way to teach a man with no apparent motor control or cognitive ability to communicate using "facilitated communication" technique
  • Said techniques consist of holding a disabled person's hand while they type; miraculously, it turns out a man who never had any education of any kind can write every bit as well as an educated woman with a PhD in ethics
  • Claims that a man who lacks the motor function to keep his head and eyes steady is capable of reading at world speed-reading levels, doesn't find anything weird about this
  • Believes her own bullshit so hard she convinces herself that the two of them are in love with each other, lives elaborate private charade of writing love notes to herself through "typing" of disabled man
  • Somehow manages to have sex with a mental toddler, is shocked and horrified to learn that people don't approve
  • They're probably just upset because she's white and he's black, is all

I've never heard of this "facilitated communication" thing (presumably because it's quack science) but I'm kind of bummed that there's no legitimate technique behind it. I feel bad for severely disabled people and it would be pretty rad if there was a way to help them make sense of their world and let them communicate. I would have expected something more along the lines of ape language experiments like Koko or Punbanisha, though, instead of the pupil suddenly turning out to be a sensitive genius with a passion for disability advocacy and white upper-middle class tastes (facilitated communication advocates insist that these results are reproducible, in that every profoundly disabled person they attempt to teach with facilitated communication techniques turns out to be a sensitive genius with a passion for disability advocacy and white upper-middle class tastes.) When I first started reading the article I assumed that she was a teacher/handler who had wildly over-optimistic interpretations of some crude language construct like "me person like woman you pretty person" but lol nope she actually believed he was secretly really into red wines and writing stirring essays on ethics while he writhed spasmodically and soiled himself.

On the other hand, the founder of facilitated communication does offer some pretty compelling evidence so maybe it's not completely hopeless:

New York Times posted:

Just two weeks into this training, Crossley took out a magnetic board with letters on it to see if McDonald could spell things on her own. Less than a week later, McDonald pointed to the letters ‘I’ and ‘H’ and then to 11 more, producing ‘‘IHATEFATROSIE.’’ ‘‘This is the first sentence Annie ever spelled,’’ Crossley wrote. ‘‘Annie had freed herself.’’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

and another goon finds true love

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the PhD in ethics is the funniest part holy lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I HATE FAT ROSIE

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, why are you so mad that you managed to get laid?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Another goon self-brag about being a sex-haver.

E: f,b

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

also there was a good :doink: episode about facilitated communication and how its bullshit

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
This is what you get what you let the commies in.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Lucky Guy posted:

and another goon finds true love

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
during one of those anonymous confessions threads didn't somebody post one about dating a girl in a wheelchair and butt raping her when she was asleep which led to her being incontinent

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

John Denver Hoxha posted:

during one of those anonymous confessions threads didn't somebody post one about dating a girl in a wheelchair and butt raping her when she was asleep which led to her being incontinent

granos still posts here?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wasn't that this guy https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Kevin_Havens nws obv

brotato
May 14, 2013
Who is Fat Rosie tho? Wanna hear about the disabled lady's beef with this chick.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

When Wesley told Anna he thought she had taken advantage of his brother, she could not muster a response. At last, with her help, D.J. began typing: ‘‘No one’s been taken advantage of. I’ve been trying to seduce Anna for years, and she resisted valiantly.’’ Then he typed another message, meant for Anna: ‘‘Kiss me.’’ Wesley walked out.

:lol:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

quote:

Snake: This is Snake, I'm in front of the disposal facility.
Colonel Campbell: Excellent work, Snake. Shame hasn't slowed you down one bit.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Just two weeks into this training, Crossley took out a magnetic board with letters on it to see if McDonald could spell things on her own. Less than a week later, McDonald pointed to the letters ‘I’ and ‘M’ and then to 3 more, producing "IMGAY." "This is the first sentence Annie ever spelled," Crossley wrote. "Annie had freed herself."

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Serious Frolicking posted:

granos still posts here?

call the police , the granos is coming from inside the forum

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you'd have to be retarded to get with her, woof

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Blue Train posted:

also there was a good :doink: episode about facilitated communication and how its bullshit

What this guy said.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

gently caress even mute retards get laid more trhan i do :(

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
when smart people go crazy they go really really crazy

Ben Carson 2016

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

She was obviously influenced by this sick filth:

More like Hollyweird, am i rite?

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

ThePriceIsRight posted:

gently caress even mute retards get laid more trhan i do :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0tb2IR475c

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Blue Train posted:

you'd have to be retarded to get with her, woof

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

I've never heard of this "facilitated communication" thing (presumably because it's quack science).

In the early 90's when this hadn't been debunked yet there were a bunch of cases where these facilitated communication people were facilitating rape accusations against the parents/families of disabled people.

Check out this amazing defense in response to scientists trying to evaluate the merit of the technique from wiki:
"Proponents claim that testing is demeaning to the disabled person[...]those being facilitated may purposely produce nonsense, refuse to respond or give wrong answers to counteract the negative attitudes of those who are skeptical of the technique."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hot Jam posted:

"Proponents claim that testing is demeaning to the disabled person[...]those being facilitated may purposely produce nonsense, refuse to respond or give wrong answers to counteract the negative attitudes of those who are skeptical of the technique."

this whole time he could really talk too, it was just your negative vibes that made him troll you

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

That woman thought she was going to make this scene happen in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdC-q7fY_TM

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Sick white married couple takes cuck fetish to far

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i dressed up as a black retard for halloween and i didnt get laid at all wtf

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

General Bort posted:

Sick white married couple takes cuck fetish to far

Her husband is black, too. Black bulls are passe, crippledick is the new hotness in cuckolding circles.

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax
I wonder how many ppl reading this thread are virgins lol

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Her: "I could get lost in your eyes for hours ;-*"

Him:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
women are so loving weird...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Him:

lold irl

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

City of Tampa posted:

when smart people go crazy they go really really crazy

Ben Carson 2016

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Him: ..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
I'm absolutely grateful that they left nothing out in this article.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Moridin920 posted:

I HATE FAT ROSIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
that retard wanted it anyways, did you see the way he was dressed?

• Locked thread