Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Clayton hits hard and is surprisingly mobile if you don't keep on him. Plus he can use cure but that's only if he's left alone for too long most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sora's costume in this game is more or less a modified version of Mickey's classic outfit (it's the shoes that give it away). As far as I know, Sora's outfit being what it is comes from the developers originally wanting to make Mickey Mouse the lead. No idea what happened exactly and I might be wrong, but if Sora had a Mouseketeer hat on he'd look like a knock-off Mickey.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the enemy recolors are really throwing me off. i don't think i've seen a single one that looks alright. the dark blue/black/whatever scheme they had in the original game was better than whatever weird yellow poo poo is going on now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is it my imagination or is the Deep Jungle theme a 20 second loop?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Y-Hat posted:

Is it my imagination or is the Deep Jungle theme a 20 second loop?
Most of the songs in this game are pretty looping, especially the first game when they were just testing out the waters but Deep Jungle is especially eh.

FutureFriend posted:

actually i believe you will find the game known as kingdom hearts, in fact owns.
For all the crazy loving story there is further down the line, the game is really fun to play because of how crazy it gets.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FinalGamer posted:

For all the crazy loving story there is further down the line, the game is really fun to play because of how crazy it gets.
The original release of KH1 is still a pain because of the shoddy camera controls and bad jumping. And the vines.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

Most of the songs in this game are pretty looping, especially the first game when they were just testing out the waters but Deep Jungle is especially eh.
I like the Gummi Ship music, at least.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The first game has some pretty good tracks but a lot of the ones I like are much later

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I like the Deep Jungle theme a lot, but it could certainly stand to be quite a bit longer.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

The original release of KH1 is still a pain because of the shoddy camera controls and bad jumping. And the vines.
Yeaaaaaah gonna agree on that, and there is a level much later on that PERFECTLY embodies both in one horrifying combination of "oh my loving god would you just get on the loving GUUUH".

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the platforming is totally fine (if you know you can mash attack to extend your airtime)

tarzan world always felt really weird to me from a game design perspective and no I don't just mean the layout that doesn't really make sense

It almost feels like someone on the staff really liked resident evil or something, because the first half is just wandering around lost and getting randomly attacked by an enemy that you can't permanently get rid of and messing around with puzzles that suck and can't really be called puzzles (OP actually skipped over one of these in the camp where you read some stuff and then cast spells at things to get potions), then in the second half of the level suddenly monsters show up and you have to rescue people while wandering around lost trying to figure out the event flags you need to progress.

There's even an attempt at what could be called suspense if you're feeling generous with brian blessed, who goes from being a dude to an rear end in a top hat dude to a dude trying to murder you and I guess went so crazy he drew monsters to the surrounding area like this is silent hill or something. There's also this super weird thing where in the first half of the level you can check some flowers and you get a text promt about how they detect evil or something, then check them after the enemies start spawing for different text

Only none of this makes any sense or works at all because this is a loving disney game and the entire time this happens jungle_music.wav is repeating in the background

There's a lot of stuff in this game that has this "there was some sort of idea here but they didn't have the time/money/talent to make it actually interesting" feeling but this level hits it the most.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
If I remember right this level is the worst in the game and the next one is pretty good.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Fabulousvillain posted:

If I remember right this level is the worst in the game and the next one is pretty good.

the next one is traverse town again! here it is

Polsy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

bobjr posted:

Clayton hits hard and is surprisingly mobile if you don't keep on him. Plus he can use cure but that's only if he's left alone for too long most of the time.

I think he uses a Hi-Potion, actually. But yeah, it's pretty annoying. :argh:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

One thing I think is neat about this game is that it's surprisingly non-linear for a post 2000 square game.

For example, you don't actually have to fight the flipped around armor boss right now, to progress the story and do the next several levels you just need to do everything before actually revealing the keyhole. You gotta swing by eventually for the nav-G piece but by that point you're comically over-leveled.

You can also spawn the boss and then just leave the area (they didn't bother sealing any of the exits with invisible walls) and proceed to have the boss hanging out in that part of traverse town for most of the game.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 10, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

darealkooky posted:

One thing I think is neat about this game is that it's surprisingly non-linear for a post 2000 square game.

There's a number of neat things like this in the game, though I can only cite one example at the moment.

If you complete Wonderland before Deep Jungle, then Alice will show up in the villains' lair when Maleficent is talking about the Princesses. If you do Deep Jungle BEFORE Wonderland, then Snow White shows up instead.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's a number of neat things like this in the game, though I can only cite one example at the moment.

If you complete Wonderland before Deep Jungle, then Alice will show up in the villains' lair when Maleficent is talking about the Princesses. If you do Deep Jungle BEFORE Wonderland, then Snow White shows up instead.

oh wow, i don't think i ever thought to do that as a kid

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Neither did I. I only found out about that via the internet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for some reason i always ended up going to deep jungle first. which was...probably not the best thing, due to it consisting of green mazes, Event Flag Hell, and the clayton boss fight. the fight may not be all that hard but some combination of me being underleveled, not having cure yet, not being all that great at videogames, or all three together meant that i had a pretty rough time trying to beat him. wonderland was simple in comparison.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
I'm kind of late on this, but I wanted to mention some stuff about the choices at the beginning of the game. You gave up magic, I think a lot of people did this when they played it (I'm pretty sure I did) but magic in this game is actually pretty potent. Kingdom Hearts continues the grand RPG tradition of having messed up magic stats, by tying your magic damage to how many magic bars you have.

Every extra bar of MP you have makes your spells stronger, as well as just lets you cast more, and I don't think the game tells you that anywhere. So proportionally you get more out of increased magic than you do out of increased attack power. Picking the staff at the beginning also gives you 1 extra mp, which is pretty significant since the max MP you can have is something like 14. The spells themselves are also actually rather good! Most people never end up using them much though, the game probably could have done a better job at encouraging their use.

As for the dawn / midday / dusk thing, the big differences really show up in very late game. While you do level up a bit slower in dusk at the beginning, you need around the same total experience to get to level 40 on all 3 of the options, and you will get to level 40 just by playing through the game normally. Beyond that, the experience numbers change significantly, and dusk ends up needing like 12% less total experience to get to max level.

None of that is probably important for the LP but it's stuff that the game doesn't really communicate to you effectively, and I find it kind of interesting.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i didn't actually know that about the dawn/midday/dusk thing making you need way less xp overall to get to max level.

as for magic, i'm gonna reiterate my hard stance that wizards are nerds and sora will never be a nerd as long as i live.

darealkooky posted:

For example, you don't actually have to fight the flipped around armor boss right now, to progress the story and do the next several levels you just need to do everything before actually revealing the keyhole. You gotta swing by eventually for the nav-G piece but by that point you're comically over-leveled.

You can also spawn the boss and then just leave the area (they didn't bother sealing any of the exits with invisible walls) and proceed to have the boss hanging out in that part of traverse town for most of the game.

i am absolutely sure that as a kid i never even beat the boss in traverse town, i just went on to the end of the game not realizing i kind of never finished it. whoops!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FutureFriend posted:

sora will never be a nerd as long as i live.

with those shoes it's already too late

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

for some reason i always ended up going to deep jungle first. which was...probably not the best thing, due to it consisting of green mazes, Event Flag Hell, and the clayton boss fight. the fight may not be all that hard but some combination of me being underleveled, not having cure yet, not being all that great at videogames, or all three together meant that i had a pretty rough time trying to beat him. wonderland was simple in comparison.

Considering that Cure is your reward for finishing that fight, I don't think you were any farther behind anyone else in that respect.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I know a lot of people do Deep Jungle before Olympus, just for cure considering Cerberus and Cloud.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

...I just realised.

Squall gives you a stone with Simba as a summon inside of it.

....the loving lion how did I not make that connection twelve years ago god I was a loving idiot back then :stare: *snip*

[No talking about future games in the series! -Jordan]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 11, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm not sure who this Squall person is (sounds like a tool tho) but yeah it makes sense for Leon to dig lions

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe he's a lion.

It's kind of funny that they have him renamed to Leon in this game, though, when there's already a Leon in Final Fantasy II.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i was not sober in any process of making this inconsequential video so enjoy a drunk and a sober man making lovely jokes over fights uve already seen

this video only got me and killeremcee, no need to ask the others for this short a video.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Did someone say Monkey Magic?

No seriously, you should watch the Ouendan LP's. They're amazing.

Related to the video itself, I do miss the dumb team names from KH1. Kingdom Hearts 2's arena might be a little more crisp, but it's got less silly charm than this game's version.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I certainly wasn't expecting a video of naked Danny DeVito. :barf:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

finally, it's time for us to go to the magical fairytale place of the middle east.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish they got Robin Williams to voice Genie in this game. At least Gilbert Gottfried is still Iago.

That being said, Maleficent and Jafar are a pretty perfect villain duo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't remember if it was brought up in the olympus vids but apparently james woods just agrees to voice hades no matter what. even for little pay, or something? he likes the role so much that he'll even agree to be in these weird-rear end anime games that inexplicably include disney villains. maybe gilbert gottfried is the same way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seeing as this is the anime trash LP group, I felt it was appropriate to link Joseph Joestar singing an Aladdin song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36MN5dc4O0E

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Bobcat Goldthwait is another one of those folks who is putting on a voice when you think of his voice. Last I heard, he can't do the voice any more because it's been so long since he's used it, he can't get back into it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i don't remember if it was brought up in the olympus vids but apparently james woods just agrees to voice hades no matter what. even for little pay, or something? he likes the role so much that he'll even agree to be in these weird-rear end anime games that inexplicably include disney villains. maybe gilbert gottfried is the same way.
Yeah I mentioned it before but James Woods pretty much is willing to be Hades anytime because he loves the character. Gilbert Gottfried just loves being Gilbert Gottfried, he knows people love his squawky-as-gently caress voice and he rides that loving train all the way to the twitter bank.

I do agree with Chorps that the performance of Genie in this game is rather oddly stiff compared to the others, which is weird because you'd expect Dan Castellaneta of all people to be able to not be stiff when not doing the Simpsons.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

FinalGamer posted:

I do agree with Chorps that the performance of Genie in this game is rather oddly stiff compared to the others, which is weird because you'd expect Dan Castellaneta of all people to be able to not be stiff when not doing the Simpsons.

Well, he's pretty much just doing Homer Simpson, but goofier. If that were possible.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just noticed this but is Jaffar supposed to be huge? He's like twice as tall as Sora.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kingdom Hearts needs a Simpson's spin off where Mr. Burns chases after Donald and Goofy suspecting them to be mutants from the plant, and wants to destroy them as evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is one of my favorite LPS. never stop.

• Locked thread