Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Cheap Shot posted:

Also, the (pc) graphics look real good to me. :shrug: Speaking as a professional digital artist, I admire the art direction. I love the soft edges theme used for all the old world stuff, and the strange mix of faded but somehow vibrant colour used on it. They used mainly primary colours and occasionally secondary colours to paint everything so stuff that's painted stands out. It's clever and looks good. I'll be saving my pennies up for the art book. Sucks that it's delayed until December.

Ya I agree with you, it's much nicer art direction than in 3 and obviously New Vegas didn't look much better than that. Just a shame about, like, all the animations and every word spoken by any of the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bholder posted:

Oh and stats beyond 10 counted in Fallout Shelter that might be true for F4 as well

Modified stats from equipment/ect go above 10 in FO4. This was shown on a pre-release stream so I don't think it's an issue to confirm it.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

That's like the Fallout MO. See also:

The dumb fire sword you can make
The deathclaw gauntlets
etc.

achshually in the older fallouts the energy weapons were pre-war tech and looked really high tech compared to bethesda's fallouts' more wacky 50s science counterparts

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_weapons

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 4, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Can u name the weapons u craft? It's hosed up if you can't name them

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Minorkos posted:

achshually in the older fallouts the energy weapons were pre-war tech and looked really high tech compared to bethesda's fallouts' more wacky 50s science counterparts

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_weapons

I never noticed that the laser rifle looks exactly like the sniper rifle in 2.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

It looks like most weapons have a name generated by a combination of their parts. Like "short pipe rifle" "short laser musket" so no.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ya I agree with you, it's much nicer art direction than in 3 and obviously New Vegas didn't look much better than that. Just a shame about, like, all the animations and every word spoken by any of the characters

actually the art direction in new vegas was really good !!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Rank 10 stuff is unimpressive because they are no longer endgame stuff nessisarily.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Just give me a old, duct taped, bolt action or That Machine style rifle and enough firearms skill to pop heads like grapes.

Energy weapons are for people I just haven't got around to killing yet.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The Droid posted:

It looks like most weapons have a name generated by a combination of their parts. Like "short pipe rifle" "short laser musket" so no.

There was a 'Rename' option on the benches, so it actually looks like you can.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

If that's Ladykiller then yes Black Widow should be there for female characters.

this is bisexual erasure

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

botany posted:

actually the art direction in new vegas was really good !!

True, I was just trying to look unbiased on here

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Geoff Zahn posted:

I never noticed that the laser rifle looks exactly like the sniper rifle in 2.

i actually really love the weapon design in fallout 1 and 2. everything looks like the perfect mix of gritty functionality and scifi. it's a shame bethesda went ham with the whole "yo it's the 50's!!!! make everything like the jetsons!!!"

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

Can't remember where I read it but I think you can name everything you craft, even the armour.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I guess since you're all hetero and baby making and whatnot, Confirmed Bachelor/Cherchez le Femme are gone? I remember in one of the New Vegas threads a dude took Confirmed Bachelor because bros before hos and whatnot and was shocked that he was tricked into gayness.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Minorkos posted:

i actually really love the weapon design in fallout 1 and 2. everything looks like the perfect mix of gritty functionality and scifi. it's a shame bethesda went ham with the whole "yo it's the 50's!!!! make everything like the jetsons!!!"

I felt the same about the alien weapons, they totally looked like some dumb jetsons crap, but other than that I thought Bethesda's take on them is fine. I thought the plasma guns were supposed to be prototypes anyways, but if I'm wrong then lol if they thought any gun should look like that in production. It's like the 50's and steampunk had a hosed up retard baby.

Fallout 2's weapons did in fact own bones

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

bozar

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

projecthalaxy posted:

I guess since you're all hetero and baby making and whatnot, Confirmed Bachelor/Cherchez le Femme are gone? I remember in one of the New Vegas threads a dude took Confirmed Bachelor because bros before hos and whatnot and was shocked that he was tricked into gayness.

You can romance all the human companions (they took out Todd Howard's dogfucking idea), so either LK/BW have nothing to do with romance, homosexuality is a higher level, or companions will change sex to keep things hetero lmao

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

projecthalaxy posted:

Really? I heard romanceable companions don't check gender so your character is canonically bisexual.

Effectronica posted:

You can romance all the human companions (they took out Todd Howard's dogfucking idea), so either LK/BW have nothing to do with romance, homosexuality is a higher level, or companions will change sex to keep things hetero lmao

I may have been beaten, but my post has higher production values!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Maybe your character is secretly an Asari and all your potential mates just see you as whatever their ideal companion is?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ymgve posted:

Did you look at later upgrades to the perks? It's more than just stat increases.

One perk point per level, I assume?

Have any of the leaks indicated how fast leveling is and/or how high of a level we should expect to reach? I'm wondering how feasible it will be to recreate my usual Fallout 3/NV build of "sneak, snipe, lockpick, hack, persuade" given the SPECIAL requirements for perks and all that.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout plots:

Fallout 1: FIND CHIP
Fallout 2: FIND GECK
Fallout 3: FIND DAD
Fallout New Vegas: FIND CHIP
Fallout 4: HATE NEWSPAPERS

:v:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As much as I'd like to throttle that man's whole with my tongue I have to say this is a relative step-back from having gays being depicted in New Vegas. It's really rather a shame that it'll be a desolate swinger paradise with boring sexless dolls.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

Did he ignore the implications of the Vault Boy illustration? I can't imagine how quickly you'd have to make that decision without picking up any of the glaringly obvious clues.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The actual true enemy of this game is the shadow Mainstream media that has survived the nuclear apocalypse to just run adds and trashy tabloid and political yellow journalism unopposed throughout the wasteland. It's John Fallout's job to finally end the tyranny of news forever.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Did he ignore the implications of the Vault Boy illustration? I can't imagine how quickly you'd have to make that decision without picking up any of the glaringly obvious clues.

It's just a massage, bro

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Deified Data posted:

I don't know! He picked up the perk then came in all indignant like WHY DOES THE COURIER HUNGER FOR DONG

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Y) HATE WOMEN

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ok, crafting and naming weapons is good, base building is good, better shooting is good, art direction is nice. Bigger focus on story and literally every change made to support that is insanely epically bad. World will make no sense or have any kind of internal consistency and it'll get boring after like 15 hours but you'll keep playing doing nothing for like 100 hours and in a couple years talk about how it was crappy and shallow and you have no idea how you were excited.

Prerelease verdict: a solid 6/10 that will get 9/10 reviews

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deified Data posted:

You don't give your male friends pre-coitus rub-downs? What a loving prude.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Re: weapons' design chat, my favourite weapon designs in the fallout universe are the ones that are real guns with the serial numbers filed off. Like the Browning HP in New Vegas, the G3/CETME in Fo3, and the S&W Model 29 the mysterious stranger uses in both games.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015
I honestly prefer Toddler's version of some of the energy weapons (especially the Laser Rifle) to the originals. Certainly the argument could be made that F1/2's made a lot more sense to the setting, since off the top of my head, even by the time of Fallout 2 only pre-War entities and those with access to the military bases (e.g. Super Mutants) had access to energy weapons, to the extent that the New Reno gang getting them from the Enclave was a huge deal.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

One perk point per level, I assume?

Have any of the leaks indicated how fast leveling is and/or how high of a level we should expect to reach? I'm wondering how feasible it will be to recreate my usual Fallout 3/NV build of "sneak, snipe, lockpick, hack, persuade" given the SPECIAL requirements for perks and all that.

No clue on leveling rate, but there is no level cap, so don't worry too much about it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Minorkos posted:

It's just a massage, bro

"Confirmed bachelor means I get tons of pussy right?" :downs:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

FauxGateau posted:

You don't give your male friends pre-coitus rub-downs? What a loving prude.

I am known for my sensual knife massages.

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't know! He picked up the perk then came in all indignant like WHY DOES THE COURIER HUNGER FOR DONG

Surprise dong is best dong.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

projecthalaxy posted:

As perks, it seems so. Though you can gay or lez it up with any companions you like. They've confirmed that all companions are player sexual.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

dd209 posted:

I honestly prefer Toddler's version of some of the energy weapons (especially the Laser Rifle) to the originals. Certainly the argument could be made that F1/2's made a lot more sense to the setting, since off the top of my head, even by the time of Fallout 2 only pre-War entities and those with access to the military bases (e.g. Super Mutants) had access to energy weapons, to the extent that the New Reno gang getting them from the Enclave was a huge deal.

The original ones took place closer to the apocalypse; could be after another hundred years or so most of the surviving energy weapons have either fallen apart or been disassembled for parts. Higher maintenance requirements were always their downfall vs. conventional small arms.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pipboy app is out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bethsoft.falloutcompanionapp

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just found out that with prime I get $10 off my amazon pre orders but pay full price if I wait so I am fully in and mad excited now.

I wasnt paying much attention to it on purpose but the past week got me very hyped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

But not out on IOS yet. I guess that's payback for getting Shelter first.

• Locked thread