Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

I wonder if by playing up Patty's detective ability means that she's gonna figure out Barry is the Flash once they get serious and then ~drama~

That will almost certainly happen. Or barry will make a mistake around her. Or he'll be forced into a situation where he has to take action with patty beside him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's Tony Stark!

He built that particle accelerator in a cave, with a box of scraps.

Something nobody mentioned is how weird it is to see retro 40s type setting with iphones and poo poo. I approve

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Carlosologist posted:

I wonder if by playing up Patty's detective ability means that she's gonna figure out Barry is the Flash once they get serious and then ~drama~

That seems like it is going to happen, but I don't think there will drama. The Patty we've seen so far seems like she would be excited about it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I've been absolutely hating this season (and Arrow has gone down the shitter in a real bad way), but yeah, this episode stepped it up. The whole Dr Light thing was a bit meh, and Barry and Patty have just enough charm to step over the clichés, but all the Cisco and Harry stuff was real good. Kinda wish this had been episode 2 or something, setting up New Wells and spilling Cisco's secret, just getting things moving, you know?

I was initially disappointed by Wells 2 being so different, because Eobard!Wells was easily the most capitvating character on TV last year. Easily a match for Deathstroke the previous year. And though Dickish Real Wells is not quite that good, he's definitely a fun and interesting character and that's what this season has been sorely missing.

Was so glad to see you guys enjoyed Cisco's line to him as much as I did. Highlight of the goddamn season. (I had the shark thing spoiled.)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Carlosologist posted:

I'd be kind of a bad detective if I didn't notice you were blind The Flash

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Patty is going to totally just say "hey i know you're the Flash, Barry. I wouldn't be a very good detective if I didn't realize it."

Jay totally giving it to Earth 2 Mera. :quagmire:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OB_Juan posted:

Corrected: Johnny Diiiiiiick.

Oh my god YES.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I would love the idea that Oliver Queen is Earth 2 Aquaman. Instead of washing up on the island he washes up on Atlantis. I don't know how far they are willing to stray from the comics but given my (limited) knowledge about Earth 2 from the comics the show's Earth 2 is nothing like it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Moon posted:

He built that particle accelerator in a cave, with a box of scraps.

I was thinking, actually, that what we see of his interaction with Jay in the cold open reminds me a lot of Luthor. You know, like in those old stories where Luthor's in his office, having just finished covering his tracks after his latest scheme, then he turns round and Superman's floating outside his window?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

buddhanc posted:

That will almost certainly happen. Or barry will make a mistake around her. Or he'll be forced into a situation where he has to take action with patty beside him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'd be kind of a bad detective if I didn't notice you were blind The Flash

Yeah, I don't think they will go with a big slip up or Barry accidentally revealing himself. The show has already established that Barry is a terrible liar and that Patty is observant and competent. I kind suspect she has already figured it out, or at least strongly suspects it. After all, Barry gets mysteriously blinded at the same time a light based meta is active.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
My favorite exchange in the episode, outside of "diiiiiiiiick", obviously, was definitely between Wells2 and Garrick:

Jay: I spent two years of my life hunting Zoom!

Wells2: Wroooooooong! Zoom. Hunted. YOU.

edit: Also, confirmation that Killer Frost isn't our Dr. Snow I just realized. Wells put his watch thingy next to her when he was proving that Cisco was a Meta and it was a negative reading.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 4, 2015

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

ComposerGuy posted:

edit: Also, confirmation that Killer Frost isn't our Dr. Snow I just realized. Wells put his watch thingy next to her when he was proving that Cisco was a Meta and it was a negative reading.

Not yet. We know that there is a mechanism that makes people into metahumans, and that Caitlin is strongheaded and self-confident. There is absolutely still room for her to have a heel turn down the line.

Also, the best thing Arrow has done so far was Slade Wilson's descent from mentor and ally into crazed villain. Flash could pull something similar.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Flash killing it, even beating AoS:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/the-flash-earns-highest-season-2-ratings-yet

quote:

"The Darkness and the Light," last night's episode of "The Flash," was the show's highest rated in season two, beating out "Agents of SHIELD" in the 18-49 demographic. According to TVOverMind, the episode netted 3.7 million viewers overall and a 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic, as compared to "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s" 3.8 million viewers and 1.4 rating in the same demo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Barry is gonna have sex with Patty for like two solid hours and then they look at their clock and only a minute has passed and that's how he learns he can share his super speed.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Earth 2 Aquaman should be played by Justin Hartley.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

buddhanc posted:

Sort of covering your bases there. The only thing you left out was Barry telling her as he doesn't want to lie to his girlfriend.

VagueRant posted:

I've been absolutely hating this season (and Arrow has gone down the shitter in a real bad way), but yeah, this episode stepped it up. The whole Dr Light thing was a bit meh, and Barry and Patty have just enough charm to step over the clichés, but all the Cisco and Harry stuff was real good. Kinda wish this had been episode 2 or something, setting up New Wells and spilling Cisco's secret, just getting things moving, you know?

I was initially disappointed by Wells 2 being so different, because Eobard!Wells was easily the most capitvating character on TV last year. Easily a match for Deathstroke the previous year. And though Dickish Real Wells is not quite that good, he's definitely a fun and interesting character and that's what this season has been sorely missing.

Was so glad to see you guys enjoyed Cisco's line to him as much as I did. Highlight of the goddamn season. (I had the shark thing spoiled.)

have you watched Arrow this season? They have upped thier game big style.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 4, 2015

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Mr Beens posted:

Sort of covering your bases there. The only thing you left out was Barry telling her as he doesn't want to lie to his girlfriend.

Just wanted to be thorough! If I had to guess, I'd say patty most certainly already has her suspicions and she'll get to the bottom of it quickly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Beens posted:

have you watched Arrow this season? They have upped thier game big style.

Yeah, Arrow has been one fantastic episode after another this season. Which made the poor start to Flash all the more frustrating.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
It seems every other episode of the Flash has been good, while Arrow has been non-stop good since S4 started.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

hi liter posted:

Not yet. We know that there is a mechanism that makes people into metahumans, and that Caitlin is strongheaded and self-confident. There is absolutely still room for her to have a heel turn down the line.

I suspect the more likely strategy is for Zoom to realize alterverse Linda Park hosed Barry's poo poo up, and to seek out Earth-2 doppelgangers that will gently caress him up worse. Hence Killer Frost.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
This episode kinda proved that you NEED Harry, show was meh until he showed up.

Mansharks aside.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheChad posted:

This episode kinda proved that you NEED Harry, show was meh until he showed up.

Mansharks aside.

I think it was less that Harry wasn't there and more that they were spending a lot of time messing around with the status quo after last season and in order to set up for Legends. I actually thought episodes 2 and 3 were good but had some weak aspects while they hammered things into place. The season opener was super weak (for a premiere) though and last week's episode was just dreadfully boring with the worst villain yet and an A-plot dedicated entirely to setting up Firestorm for LoT and shuffling Stein off the team.

Next two weeks are Zoom! and then Grodd!!!!! though so we are getting back into more exciting villains with the season cast pretty much solidified with defined roles, so I am optimistic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cavanaugh is a huge part of why season one was good and having Stein in the mentor role for four episodes really showed how critical Wells is to the team dynamic. I mean, this week was night and day from the previous episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Based on the preview, I have a bit of an odd notion that Zoom is going to kill Earth One Linda and Dr Light is going to take her place. Maybe yes? Maybe no?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Have they said whether there would be more crossover from Earth 2 because getting the original Green Lantern would be kind of awesome. Also, I like the Gender Swap with Doctor Light. Smart move on their part considering Doctor Light in the comics and all that kerfuffle.

Also, still calling Zoom as Barry's dad on Earth 2 because that would be amazeballs. If Zoom wants to be the fastest man alive to save his son Barry who was killed in the particle accelerator explosion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There actually already is a female Dr. light. She's not a villain though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ah yeah I haven't been reading DC for like 3 years now except for the Injustice book.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hollismason posted:

Ah yeah I haven't been reading DC for like 3 years now except for the Injustice book.

I think I'm going to stop reading Injustice. I mean it should have been obvious from issue 1 but they are just never going to kill Superman and he 100% deserves it at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well of course not, you know he survives because he's in the game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollismason posted:

I think she's been around since the 80s?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rarity posted:

I think she's been around since the 80s?

Yeah, I had forgotten her origin is specifically in Crisis on Infinite Earths, so it is fitting that she is is one of the multiverse villains. She's definitely not a highly exposed character though.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
drat that was good

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, I had forgotten her origin is specifically in Crisis on Infinite Earths, so it is fitting that she is is one of the multiverse villains. She's definitely not a highly exposed character though.

Thank goodness it's not the other Dr Light. That guy was a joke for almost 40 years, then a bad joke for a further 10.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I would have enjoyed Harry's meta detector watch going off next to everyone at STAR Labs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ComposerGuy posted:

I was very pleasantly surprised with, well, with how much of an *adult* Barry acted like this episode. He spent pretty much zero time angsting about Earth 2 Wells and was the guy telling everyone "Look, this isn't the guy we hate and he knows important poo poo about Zoom so suck it up".

He was definitely being very responsible about Zoom, but at the same time, it did feel more than a little contrived and childish that he felt the need to hide the fact he had been temporarily blinded for his date. Why would he not just ring and explain he's been blinded due to a problem at work and he's on his way but might just be a touch late?

I dont know posted:

Yeah, I don't think they will go with a big slip up or Barry accidentally revealing himself. The show has already established that Barry is a terrible liar and that Patty is observant and competent. I kind suspect she has already figured it out, or at least strongly suspects it. After all, Barry gets mysteriously blinded at the same time a light based meta is active.

That supposes that the show will actually follow through on it allow Patty to be competent and find out the secret instead of glossing over it in a terrible way. They did it at least twice with Iris last season, just to preserve the status quo for the season so they can build up to what turned out to be a really underwhelming way of her finding out, so there's no reason they couldn't do the same again this year with Patty. Hopefully they won't. but I wouldn't be counting on it at the same time either.

hi liter posted:

Also, the best thing Arrow has done so far was Slade Wilson's descent from mentor and ally into crazed villain. Flash could pull something similar.

Mentor Slade and villain Slade were both really well done, but the transition between them was pretty much just Oliver injecting him and Slade immediately turning paranoid and angry. I would hardly call that an amazing descent, because it was just a plot device that did it as opposed to any kind of character growth or arc.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Aphrodite posted:

There actually already is a female Dr. light. She's not a villain though.

When I saw the episode description I was wondering is this a villain version of female Dr. Light, or a female version of villain Dr. Light? I'm still not sure.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

tsob posted:

. Why would he not just ring and explain he's been blinded due to a problem at work and he's on his way but might just be a touch late?
Because being blinded means a police report, and she already said she read all his reports in her intro episode.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Golden Bee posted:

Because being blinded means a police report, and she already said she read all his reports in her intro episode.

"I was messing in my lab at home and got blinded, I'm on my way but might be late - is that okay?" then. The principle is the same regardless.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tsob posted:

Why would he not just ring and explain he's been blinded due to a problem at work and he's on his way but might just be a touch late?

Because it gave us one of the best scenes in the show so far. That's reason enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Great episode. Easily the best one yet this season, as everyone else is saying. Showcase episode for Wells and Cisco, and I do really think as others were saying that a big part of it was having some version of Wells back, and therefore Tom Cavanaugh.

I think we may have underestimated how indispensable Cavanaugh is to the successful formula of this show.

tsob posted:

Why would he not just ring and explain he's been blinded due to a problem at work and he's on his way but might just be a touch late?

Are we forgetting that the scheme was sorta Iris' idea?

• Locked thread