Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Groo the Eternal

Groo stands up and stretches before heading towards the others. "I pretty much guarantee this is gonna turn into a fight. Punks like these, they think they can walk all over people just because they can shoot fire out of their eyes or whatever. Giving up without a fight would puncture their moon-sized egos."

Groo steps up onto the pad and frowns as he realizes something. "By the way, folks, my powers can be a little...disturbing. Just, uh, try not to freak out. None of the effects are permanent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Space Man

Mike took his new team's words in with a solemn silence. ...worrried about the regular people...heroes are dead...replacements...such grim points. Taking his step onto the teleporting pad, Mike finally broke his silence to for everyone.

"What about 'New Justice'? Something to give everyone a spark of hope again."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
(Since you'll be needing it shortly, I've transcribed the attack chart from V&V. To attack, find the column for the attack power you're using, or hand-to-hand for attacking with hands or weapons, and find the lowest number corresponding to a power the target currently has active. Only use the Default value if NONE of the target's powers apply to your attack. From there, add any to-hit bonuses you have, such as your Accuracy, and subtract any defense bonuses the target has, such as Heightened Defense. Then, roll a d20, and if it's under the number you got, you hit.)

As the button is pressed, the teleport pad lights up with an audible hum. There's a warm sensation for a moment, then a sudden tug in the pit of everyone's stomach. The group

MICHAEL.

Michael floats among the stars. Nebulae swirl around him, the stars blinking brightly in the distance. In front of him, he sees the same vision he'd had not two days ago, a godlike being, seemingly forging the cosmos. With each strike of his hammer, a painful ringing sound assaults Michael, but it feels like it's not coming from the "anvil", but rather from within his own skull. Just as Michael's head began to feel as though it would split open, the being turned, looked at him with the bright orbs that serve to resemble eyes, and Michael is bathed in blinding white light.

REMEMBER THIS.

arrives in an instant, with only a minor loss of balance from the sudden shift of the ground's texture. Space Man appears to have felt it the most keenly, having fallen to his knees momentarily. The teleport was well-placed, as right in front of them, standing on a car, is one of the most notorious members of the Outsiders, Ricky Velasquez, otherwise known as Flashpoint. Facing away from the team, he's hurling fireballs into the air, laughing as they burst, frightening bystanders. "That's right! You better run! No capes around to save you this time!" A lesser member of the gang, in front of Velasquez, turns and sees the group, crying out in surprise. Turning to see what the problem is, Flashpoint seems at once both shocked and thrilled. "No way! New capes already? You guys work fast, man! Guess we'll have to give you all a warm welcome. Hey, guys, we got capes!"

At his call, a group of low-ranking Outsiders converge from where they'd been looting the local businesses as Flashpoint kept everyone running. The lower-ranking members don't have superpowers, most aren't even mutants, though many have minor cosmetic mutations. They don't pose much threat alone, relying on numbers to get the job done. More concerning, however, are the other two higher-ranked Outsiders that join them. Yancy Harding, nicknamed "The Wall", is known for being exceptionally strong, and extremely hard to hurt, and Greg "Pharma" Thorton can shift his body into a wide variety of biohazards. The gang members form a loose half-circle around the heroes, Flashpoint still standing on the car, surveying the situation, waiting for the new heroes to make their move. Dossiers containing criminal records appear on the screens on the heroes' communicators, but Firewall doesn't need them, having tussled with these three before. They don't recognize him, but only because they're only familiar with him after he activates his powers.

(To roll initiative, roll 1d10 and add your Agility, along with any special bonuses you have have from your powers. If you get more than fifteen, you get an additional action for every fifteen you get. So, a total of 16 is two actions, 31 is three, 46 is four, and so on. Normally everyone would go in order based on the number of each action, but that's not good for pbp. Instead, take all your actions at once, use only your highest initiative number to determine whether you go before or after bad guys. Now, luckily these guys have long criminal records, which include their powers and general tactical information. Flashpoint has Flame Powers, Light Control, and Flight, preferring to fly above opponents and blind them before raining fire on their heads. His low impulse control can be turned to your advantage, and he's not very threatening in close combat. The Wall's mutant powers make him incredibly strong and tough, he's quite possibly the biggest threat at the scene, but he's not very bright or nimble, and has a well-documented fear of heights. His powers are Heightened Strength B, Heightened Endurance B, Force Field, and Invulnerability. Pharma is the smartest guy on the scene, but it's his skill at reading people that makes him dangerous. He has Chemical Powers, Poison/Venom, and has trained himself in Weakness Detection. If he learns your weakness, expect all of the Outsiders to know it within a week. He's already used Weakness Detection on Firewall in the past, so he has his combat bonus against him, namely, +6 to-hit. Pharma has no known Weakness, but his arrogance can be manipulated to your benefit, and he'll often prioritize using Weakness Detection on all of his opponents before attacking, leaving himself vulnerable, as he needs to get close to analyze his foes. There are six gang members alongside the three supervillains, armed with various blunt instruments, three of them have pistols tucked into their pants. Now, for the initiative numbers, the gang members got 15 and will thus get just one action, Flashpoint got 20 and will have two, as will The Wall, also with 20, and Pharma with 23. Ties go to who has the highest innate Agility, the gang members have 12, Flashpoint 16, The Wall 10, and Pharma 14. I'll post info on the new powers in the OOC thread.)

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Stormcrow

"Jesus, that was disorienting," Stormcrow grunts once they appear, teetering and grabbing onto Space Man both to support himself and to help his teammate up. More pressing matters prevail, and he looks up at the gathering Outcasts. Heart racing, he straightens. "Yeah, we're the new capes, you loving psycho. Call me Stormcrow. How about you surrender and we can all wait nicely for the cops to show up?"

He doesn't wait for an answer, instead flipping Flashpoint the bird. Everyone probably can hear the thunder crashing, though for Flashpoint it's probably much more rattling and painful, and it probably shatters or at least cracks the car windows the villain is standing on. Apparently Stormcrow doesn't have the most subtle of powers.

Hit 24 on init.

Action 1 will be to help Space Man stand up, assuming he needs it. If not, then use Sonic powers for defense.

Action 2 is attacking Flashpoint with Sonic. 9 vs 12. Does 10 damage, or 11 if the damage mod effects it.

pre:
Hit Points: 25
Power Points 65/66
Basic Hits: 4
Damage Modifier: +1
Accuracy: +2
Detect Hidden: 10%
Detect Danger: 14%

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 2, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
(Space Man has enough time in all that to stand up on his own, unless NovaLion wants to play up his disorientation for dramatic effect. Also, the damage modifier applies to everything. So, yes, eleven damage. Also, see the OOC thread, I tossed up some stuff about combat I forgot, end result is your target number was actually eleven, my bad, but either way, still a hit.)

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Space Man

REMEMBER THIS

The echoes of that being's words vibrated Mike to his very soul. Who...what was that? As his vision cleared from the bright light, he grabbed Stormcrow's hand to regain his footing. "Thanks. I wonder if I'll ever get used to that."

Mike took a moment to read the brief info while Flashpoint griped about new capes, and took special note about The Wall's acrophobia. "Imagine that." Raising a hand towards Wall and focusing on the highest roof in the city, Mike snaps his fingers before turning his attention to the more mundane group.

Initiative: 1d10+14 23, going before the bad guys.

Action 1: Teleport the Wall onto the top of the tallest building in the city. 2 vs 12

Action 2: Going to Evade for the time being and see what sort of objects are around the scene. Vehicles, barricades, whatever.

pre:
Hit Points: 14
Power Points 52/57
Damage Modifier: +2
Accuracy: +1
Detect Hidden: 12%
Detect Danger: 16%
--

OOC: Edited to include the attack roll. For standing up, I like the dramatic effect that Stormcrow is providing, but if he wants to take his action instead that's fine by me.

NovaLion fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 2, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(I don't recall if it got posted, but when discussing your teleport, I said it would be using Paralysis Ray as its attack type, so, mark that down somewhere near the description of your teleport.)

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I'm fine with the dramatic action! So just no sonic defense this turn.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Added in the attack roll. Looks like it worked!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Firewall

Zapping down to the docks, Firewall felt the familiar surge of adrenaline hit him as the teleport surged. Surveying the immediate area, Firewall gave himself a small smile. Villains always left debris around to be used against him. Surveying around, he looked around for a manhole cover, or other debris that may have been left around. Despite what Stormcrow was saying, they weren't going to be rolling over nicely. Action needed to be taken and now.

Initiative (redux, 1d10s not 1d20s, whoops): 1d10+13 19

The gunmen were the most dangerous of the gang members, and Firewall was probably the best equipped to deal with them. Rushing towards one of the gunmen, he launched a burst of flame towards Pharma, just to keep him off-balance as the fireball just clipped the villain.

Action 1: Attacking Pharma with flame Power :
Attacking Pharma with the power of FIRE: 1d20+1 14 vs. 1 or 16 depending of if chemical defenses are active or not 1d12 1

hosed up the roll on orokos because apparently reading comprehension is hard. Fixed it all up after the fact. Roll was 14, TN manipulated instead. Sorry.

:shepicide:

Action 2: Rush towards one of the gunmen, or both if they're together.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Nightwitch

"You guys are such dorks, you know that? 'Hey, all the capes are gone! Let's break stuff!' You're like frat bros with worse hygiene, it's just sad." The cloaked teenager raises both hands, clad in scaled gauntlets that glow with an unearthly power; one bursts into flame, while the other rimes with frost. "It's no wonder I hear none of you can get a girl."

The gauntlets flare, hellish energy streaking forth.

Let's see if I can do this correctly.

Initiative: 1d10+15 21 Two actions, whoo! Since DOG has no stats yet I'm just going to assume he has only one action.

Action One: Since all of these three named dudes have a great defense against my Ice Power, let's hit one of the pistol-packing mooks.

Ice Power vs. Default has a target of 14, +2 for my Agility makes it 16. Ice Power: 1d20 8 is a hit!

So that's 1d12 damage plus a damage modifier of 7 plus the cumulative icing... Ice Power Damage: 1d12+7 18 means a bad day for a gun mook. That's, what, 1800 pounds of ice surrounding him? Hope his head's sticking out. Ice Gauntlet now has 41 Power (46 less 5 for the blast). I will not be spending Power to maintain that ice, since if this fight lasts long enough for it to melt away then something has gone seriously wrong.

Action Two: use the other gauntlet's Flame Power to create a 50 point Armor Value shield, as well as giving me the effect of Flame Power for defense. Fire Gauntlet is at 40 Power, and I don't have to pay for maintenance of the shield.

Dog Action: Dog will be running and trying to herd civilians out of the battle area, dragging any wounded civilians if he has to.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(Just for the record, you can move and attack as long as you're moving less than half your available movement for that action, is how I'm ruling it, since the book is a little ambiguous on how moving and attacking together work.)

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Groo the Eternal

Groo staggered and retched on arrival. Suddenly, he remembered why he'd always hated teleporting. When was the last time he'd been teleported? Had to be 1944. Yeah, what a mess that had been. So much of the Road to Rome hadn't made it into the history books...

A mental flash of alarm from the parasite snapped Groo out of it; he fought off the nausea and joined the battle, albeit a bit later than the rest. Scanning the crowd, he decided that the best option would be to take down the unpowered creeps fast, before they could swarm the team. He started towards them, raised his hand in one's direction, and twitched a finger, willing him to swing his pipe in his buddy's direction.

Initiative: 1d10+10 12

Action 1: Move as far as I can towards the generic gangmembers and use Flesh Works to make one of the gangers clobber one of the others.

Flesh Works Control vs 9: 6

For now, I'm thinking it would probably work best to treat Flesh Works as a Psionic power, with body-control uses as Mind Control and the direct manipulation of flesh stuff as Transmutation, but GM gets the last word.

pre:
Basic Hits: 5
Hit Points: 31
Healing Rate: 7 
PP: 66/71
Accuracy: +/- 0
Basic HTH Damage: 1d10
Movement Rate: 53 (265 feet)
Detect Hidden: 14%
Detect Danger: 18%

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(Directly manipulating flesh on an unwilling subject will be a Special Attack on Hand-to-Hand, see the OOC thread, I recently put up info on how Special Attacks work. It automatically succeeds on helpless/restrained targets, though. Basically, the trick is getting ahold of them, the sculpting part comes naturally. Controlling dudes remotely is Mind Control, however, on the defenses, Strength takes the place of Charisma, and Endurance takes the place of Intelligence. You beat the gang members on both, so your target number for that stuff is 11 before modifiers. Note that the difference needs to be significant, not just one point, I'll let you know when it is, and for now, those gang members, you beat them in both by a country mile. You've also got the same advantage over Flashpoint and Pharma)

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 2, 2015

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Johnathan Doe

"Ah, now is time for the friendly banter and the combat.", Johnathan Doe says happily. "We will defeat you. Can you think of a good team name for us?" Then, general banter over, he gets to work. Running over to one of the gang members, the colony attempts to engulf him, but is too slow and misses,

pre:
Hit Points: 20
Power Points 60/60

Initiative: 1d10+15 20 2 actions

The named villains all seem pretty immune to hand to hand, so attacking a mook.
First Move. Moving towards gang member
Second Move: Attacking the Gang Member (7 or less to hit): 1d20 18

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Should I mention that I plan to apply the passive part of Adaptation or can I mention that on a case-by-case?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(If you're just leaving it on all the time, then just deduct the Power cost for each attack you took whenever your turn rolls around and I'll remember to apply the defense when rolling attacks aimed at you.)

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Prototype

Whuff. The teleportation knocks the wind out of her for a second, but she regains her balance and sizes up the situation while the others engage in witty banter. "After I stuck up for you assholes," she mutters, shaking her head sadly at the Outsiders. Well, it's go time.

One moment she's with the group, the next she's running, lifting her left arm in front of her as if to shield herself.

Initiative: 1d10+24 = 33, 3 actions

Action One: Move through the Outsiders, get on the far side of Flashpoint's car at about 30' range, and activate Vibratory Powers defence. If those can't be combined, then activate defence this action, move and attack next action.

Actions Two & Three: Attacking Flashpoint with Vibratory Powers. Default defence of 10, -1 for level, +4 accuracy, +4 flanking = a 17 target I think?

1d20=17
1d20=19

Damage if that actually connected - 2d8+3 = 10

pre:
Hitpoints: 54
Movement Rate: 230 (1,150 feet per round)

Power Points: 80/80
Disintegration Ray: 17/17
Vibratory Powers: 9/11

Damage Mod: +3
Accuracy: +4

Detect Hidden: 8%
Detect Danger: 12%

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(You should still have 10 uses of your Vibratory device. The defense costs no power to set up and use. As for Power cost, Devices don't use Power costs the way normal powers or some Magic/Psionic items do. Instead, there's a random roll, modified by the Power cost of the power in question, and that's how many uses the device has, one for one. I put the multiple constituent powers on separate usage tracks to simplify things for myself, so I wouldn't have to figure out how to handle different uses with different Power costs.)

Unfortunately for Prototype, her haste draws Flashpoint's attention, her attacks the first he sees coming, denying her the benefit of striking from behind. One blast flies wide, and Velasquez weaves to the side, dodging the other. However, this leaves him completely open to Stormcrow's attack. Unable to roll with the surprise attack, Flashpoint nearly falls from the vehicle entirely. Clutching his head, he glares back over his shoulder. "Dammit, we got a screamer!"

Michael is next to act, at the same time as Pharma (ties for both initiative and agility happen simultaneously). Having taken a look at The Wall's dossier, he wills him to someplace high, and can feel it, it's a building visible from the team's present location, in fact, the tallest building in Detroit, right next to one of the bridges leading to Canada. Without hesitating, he focuses his newfound powers on The Wall, and with a sudden pop, the giant young man vanishes. It's only then that Michael notices the glowing red letters on the side of the building, highly visible in the spreading dusk. They spell

BE MINDFUL. TIME IS NOT THE ONLY AXIS ACROSS WHICH CONSEQUENCES RIPPLE.

"Marriott".

Pharma, for his part, finally recognizes Firewall. "Well, if it isn't the mute! Long time no see, buddy, almost did a dime on that last bust, lemme pay ya back!" His form becomes off-white and bubbly, and he launches a blast of liquid straight at the silent teen, connecting easily and hurling him backwards (5 under 17 for a whopping 16 damage). As Firewall rushes him, he finds that the substance snuffs his flame before he can even launch it!

(Firewall is currently covered in firefighting foam, which prevents him from using Flame Powers, saving throw on d20 using Agility to get it off, or just activate Negative Matter to repel it.)

Nightwitch's attack on one of the gang members is spectacularly effective, nearly bowling over the youths to her target's sides. However, frozen and clearly unconscious inside a block of ice the size of a fridge, one wonders whether the cold or lack of air will kill him first if he's not freed.

(This is my fault, I literally just noticed it in the description, clinging ice deals ongoing damage, one per cubic foot still present. Normally I prefer not to put all the numbers up, but these guys have 9 HP and 46 Power, so this guy is at 37 Power now, meaning that even with the melting, he'll be dead in three turns. Maybe pull your punches with Ice Powers, at least enough to cut down on that beefy damage bonus, unless the enemy is a real tough customer.)

Flashpoint, seeing this display, looks shocked. "What the poo poo? gently caress this, pull your pieces and waste that psycho!" The remaining gang members with firearms drop their other weapons to draw their guns as he says this. He launches a pair of deadly cutting lasers from his fingertips, eschewing his preferred fire attacks for the more powerful beams. However, rather than Nightwitch, they're aimed at the ice entrapping his fellow Outsider. The majority of the ice is blasted off in an instant, leaving only a small amount, no long enough to endanger the young man's life. Unfortunately for him, Flashpoint realizes that he's left himself wide open with his outburst, and takes to the air, putting some distance between him and the new heroes.

Despite Johnathan Doe's unsuccessful attack, all attention is focused on Nightwitch. The five remaining gang members converge and attack, determined to get even for what almost happened to their friend, two gunshots ringing out along with the chorus of blows, with both bullets and a Louisville Slugger finding their mark (the gang members each drop ten Power on their attacks to raise your base defense to 11, handguns give +3 to hit, and bludgeons give +2, here's the attack spread, guns first, your shield takes a total of fifteen damage, after I add in their damage bonuses of +1). Of the last two, they find themselves distracted, as one of them swings his lead pipe into the head of the other, knocking him out cold with the unexpected strike. Dumbfounded, he drops the pipe and stares at his hand, horrified. Pharma interrupts his stammering, watching the brawl from the other side of the car that has become the centerpiece of the impromptu battlefield. "Quit gawking, idiot, it's the freak in the hobo clothes, he was doing some kinda pointy thing at you, prob'ly mind control or something! Grab the pipe and bash his skull in!"

Off in the distance, clouds of dust can be seen coming from the roof of the Marriott hotel.

(Okay, now for the fun part, everyone roll initiative again! Yeah, it's one of THOSE games, that make you do initiative every round. Gang members are at 14, Flashpoint's at 18 and is well over a hundred feet in the air right now, The Wall is at 20 again though I don't know why I rolled for him this round, and Pharma is at 21. We're down to four gang members, a badly beaten Flashpoint, and Pharma.)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Firewall

Take 6 damage to power and 10 to HP, I guess

Initiative: 1d10+13 22 2 Actions

If he could've screamed, he would have. Anger raged through him, showing through to his eyes and face as the air around him began to shimmer and warp. Hearing Nightwitch in trouble, he left the chem master alone, rushing to the girl's side, placing himself in between the two of them before letting the negative energy rip from him, launching everything lighter around him away, including the foam covering him. Memories of darkness and fire and sound rushed through him and over his eyes as he screamed silently into the air.

Action 1: Moving to interpose himself between the gunmen and Nightwitch

Action 2: Activate Negative Energy, shaking off the foam, and other such negative gravity effects.

pre:
Basic Hits: 6
HP: 12/22
Movement: 260ft./round

Power Points 52/58

Damage Mod: 0

Detect Hidden: 6%
Detect Danger: 11%

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Space Man

Mike can feel the hair on the back of this neck stand straight on end. The message echoed in his mind as loud as clocktower bells. Consequences...across more than time? I'd better be more careful about this power. He would have to worry about the trans-dimensional cryptic message from the cosmic beyond or whatever another time, the flying laser cannon and gunmen are a bit more pressing a matter. Mike ducks low and moves into a flank around the mundane Outsiders.

Speaking over coms to keep prying ears from hearing, "Firewall, get ready! Flyboy's coming to you!"

Initiative: 1d10+14 16. Edit: I'm wrong, two actions!

Action 1: Teleport Flashpoint to right in front of Firewall, separating the latter from the gunmen and Pharma. 6v12. Got him!

Action 2: Circle around to an advantageous side and go hand-to-hand with one of the remaining gunmen. Remind me to try and
Remember some more spells so I can offer more soon! I'll spend 3 power to increase my odds because I'm not exactly a martial arts master. Hand-To-Hand with the gunman.: 1d20 13. Crap, Hand-to-Hand's target is five. +1 for my Accuracy, +2 for a flank, +3 for power brings it to 11. So close.
pre:
Hit Points: 14
Power Points 44/57

NovaLion fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 2, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(16 is two actions, it's 15 that would be just one action. :flashfact:)

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Good catch! I had 15 stuck in my head. I would have done things a bit differently, but I already rolled an action so I'll keep it. Edited the rest in! Is #Acolyte still the go-to IRC channel?

NovaLion fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 2, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Nightwitch

"Aww, did I scare you, little boys?" Nightwitch's mouth may not be visible behind the concealing scarf of her outfit, but her Cheshire Cat grin is evident in her eyes. "I would have cut him some air-holes. Eventually. Probably. If I felt like it."

Seeing the others starting to head over to help out with the mooks, Nightwitch laughs again, raising one gauntleted finger and pointing at the Outsiders. "Don't think of it as the team coming to beat you up, boys. Think of it as being saved from the Nightwitch." Look, she's got supernatural powers and anger management issues. She knows she's kinda scary. It would be silly not to take advantage of that. If it can get the gangbangers to surrender, she's willing to play the Dangerous Loose Cannon role. Every superteam has one. She bursts into motion, cackling like a banshee.

Initiative: 1d10+15 21

Okay, so two actions again. I'm thinking that Pharma is the big danger right now, what with the whole 'I can detect your weaknesses and also I'm a walking asbestos factory' thing, and besides, Flashpoint is out of range for me anyways.

So - Action One is to run and slide over the hood of the car so I can get into attack range on Pharma. I don't know if that's beyond my effective 'move-and-attack' range, so I'll assume that getting over the cover is an action, but hopefully it'll also give me a flanking bonus.

Action Two, manifest the Flame Sword and attack Pharma. As it lets me use either Flame Powers of Hand-to-Hand to hit with, Hand-to-Hand is more advantageous against Pharma's Chemical Powers, so we'll use that. Base is 2, -1 to hit because we're the same level, +2 for attacking from the side, +2 for Accuracy gives me a base of 5; I will spend 14 Power to raise my target to 19 (no point in raising it to 20, as a 20 always misses anyways). This leaves me with 68 Power remaining, and the Flame Gauntlet will drop to 35 Power. I believe this will drop the Fire Shield, sadly, but I'll still have Fire Powers for purposes of defense, which is good.

Flame Sword Attack: 1d20 5 Pfffft coulda gotten away with not spending Power. Ah well! Better safe than sorry.

Damage is basic (1d4) plus 1d12, plus the 7 from my stats - which I won't be pulling, it's not cumulative and besides it's not like this guy can't make himself some morphine if he's in pain. Flame Sword Damage: 1d4+1d12 11 for a total of 18 points of damage. Oh, how I hope this KOs him. Luckily the wound will be cauterized!

EDIT: Dog is still on civilian patrol. I'm assuming he's well-trained enough at this point to do that, EclecticTastes, and I'll train him out for the rest of the tricks I'll want him to learn as the game goes on?

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 2, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(The civilians are pretty much cleared out by now, but the dog is still valiantly maintaining the perimeter. Your Pet starts out knowing a few simple commands like "attack" and "stay", and a more complex trick, in your case getting civilians out of harm's way. And yes, the flame sword and flame shield are mutually exclusive.)

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Stormcrow

Stormcrow flashes a grin at Flashpoint, before the chaos breaks out. He moves along with Nightwitch to at least partially try to keep up, but is mostly focusing. The next peal of thunder cracks out, but this time on the foam mass. "Firewall shouldn't feel this," he mutters, trying to convince himself.

Init is 24 again

Action 1 - Sonic defense

Action 2 - Attack Pharma with Sonic. 10 vs 6 (5-1 (level) +2 (accuracy)) to hit. 13 damage. Half move towards Firewall, Nightwitch, and Space Man.
Edit: IM DUMB AND ACTUALLY MISSED. Whoops. 5% chance for the miss to hit something else. 77 vs 5.

We regen 1 power a turn, right?

pre:
Hit Points: 25/25
Power Points 64/66

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 2, 2015

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Prototype

Prototype's head turns at the sound of gunfire, her eyes narrowing behind the mask. "Better drop those before you hurt yourselves," she growls, not expecting much of a response. She lifts her right arm and takes aim at the nearest armed thug, followed by a brief flash of red light.

Initiative: 1d10+24 32

Action 1: Disintegration ray against the nearest gun. Special attack 2#1d20 9 17 versus I believe 19 (15 normal +4 accuracy -0 level + any flanking). Disintegration damage: 1d20+3 16

Action 2: Same again, circling around and attempting to disintegrate another gun (or the first if it's still intact). Special attack: 2#1d20 13 15. Disintegration damage: 1d20+3 7

Action 3: Charge into melee with anyone still up and fighting at this point, with a preference for the most threatening target or the healthiest, and swing at them. Hand to hand, spending 8 power: 1d20 10. If that hits, Pretty wimpy damage, pulling the punch to avoid any brutality: 1d10+3-2 3

EclecticTastes posted:

(You should still have 10 uses of your Vibratory device.

I was thinking one use per attack, even though both of them missed? I'm probably being dense.

pre:
Hitpoints: 54

Power Points: 72/80
Disintegration Ray: 15/17

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Groo the Eternal

Groo shoots a glare in Pharma's direction for interfering, but it looked like the others probably had him well in hand. He smirks at the horrified ganger and yells, "I'd run if I was you!" then raises his hands again. Time for a coup de grāce.

Initiative: 18

Action 1: Using Flesh Works to make the guy I hit last round's flesh crawl to hopefully scare him and the rest of the gangers off, spending 8 power.

Flesh Works Crawl vs 19: 2 ha ha, probably didn't need to dump THAT much power on this in hindsight, but I do have a ton of it to spare.

Action 2: Evade.

pre:
PP: 53/71

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Ripley posted:

I was thinking one use per attack, even though both of them missed? I'm probably being dense.

(Oh, right, you attacked twice, then yeah, that's one each. Also, IPVG, you only regain power while resting, outside of combat.)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(As an aside, I'm currently talking Epicurius through gaining the Android Body power, since I noticed he didn't have a lot going for him in straight-up combat and I'd rather not leave him in the lurch like that, I also changed his Super-bite to HTH+6, +3 to hit, the top tier of Natural Weaponry, because giving it a flat damage rate was inconsistent with how melee attacks work in V&V, rookie move on my part. Also, for Flesh Works' flesh crawl and other directly transformative ranged powers, those WILL be Transmutation attacks, for future reference. So, that's HTH for molding, slightly modified Mind Control for puppeteering, and Transmutation for the other stuff. Also, as I'm thinking about it, I think with Negative Energy, turning the power on in the middle of a group can be a Special Attack on Gravity Control, with success knocking affected enemies on their rear end. The power just automatically pushes weaker foes away, regardless. Sorry for all the notes, but particularly as concerns the Heroes Unlimited powers, I'm still working out a lot of the bugs. Also, Novalion, you still hit Firewall, but I think you forgot to factor in the -2 for range, as mentioned in the OOC thread.)

Two of the Outsiders jump back in surprise as their guns turn to dust in their hands, and the one with the bat calmly rolls with Prototype's pulled punch, uninjured. Noticing the more visible parts of his prosthetics, he seems to realize she wasn't going at full power, and gives her a knowing look. The other two also seem impressed with her restraint as they reach back down for their respective bludgeons. It's at this point that Firewall comes barreling into the fray, taking his more familiar form as a being of Negative energy. Prototype can withstand the repelling force easily, her enhanced body providing all the strength she needs. The gang members have a harder time, and are pushed backwards several yards before becoming able to keep their footing.

The blast of concentrated sound from Stormcrow is absorbed by Pharma's liquid body without damage, but it draws his attention, which is enough for Nightwitch to get the drop on him, landing an attack from the side. However, her sword fizzles as it passes through the firefighting foam composing his body, flaring back to life on the other side (as mentioned in the description in the OOC thread, Chemical Powers turns the person into the chemical they're using, so he's still made of firefighting foam, which has the special property of "neutralizes fire on contact"). Pharma turns, and looks Nightwitch over. "Too easy," is all he says as he appears to finish analyzing her. That's when he jumps back, his body shifting to a clear liquid, and he launches a gout of it at the teenager. It's a normal liquid, however, and doesn't really hurt at all, and there's no burning sensation. It's confusing, and it makes Stella frustrated. And she begins to feel very angry. At everyone. The chemical man looks quite pleased with himself as he puts distance between himself and Nightwitch. "You're about to learn why they call me Pharma, little girl!"

(You have been struck with a Special Attack! Pharma just used Detect Weakness on you as his other action, since you were kind enough to get into range for him, so he's +6 to hit. 11 and 3 against 15. You've been hit with a cocktail of pharmaceuticals that are altering your neurotransmitter reuptake and production such that, by the rules of comic book science, your serotonin levels just plummeted at the same time your system is being flooded with norepinephrine. Now, this would make even a normal person angry to the point of violence by comic book reasoning, but Stella's condition is such that she already has an imbalance of those very chemicals. Put simply, until you make a saving throw on d20 using Charisma or the chem wears off, you're berserk.)

Left to his own devices, Flashpoint chuckles seeing Pharma work his magic, and then lobs a ball of fire right between Prototype and Firewall, leaving them both singed (target number for each is 14 due to range, 13 and 3 hit for 13 total damage to Prototype and 4 to Firewall, remember that you can roll with it and just take some/most/all of it to your Power).

Rather than the paralyzing terror Groo expected, his attempt to horrify the gang member results in him swinging his pipe wildly, rushing the caveman to try to make it stop. However, the swings are all wide, the few that aren't prove easy to sidestep (he didn't roll a 1, and that was the only way he was gonna hit, with all the penalties he's got going on). At the end, the youth is left panting and defeated, slumping to the ground and slowly assuming the fetal position as he starts to cry, his skin still undulating and pulsing.

Space Man succeeds at teleporting Flashpoint down to Firewall and Valerie, though, still floating in the air, he's pushed back, hard, into a nearby lamppost, which proves enough to knock out the already battered gangbanger. A whistle comes from Pharma, and the remaining gang members look in his direction. Slowly, smug grins appear on their faces, and almost in unison, they drop their weapons and say some variation of, "You win, we surrender!" They then point past Prototype and Firewall, to the impending emotional meltdown going on a few yards away. Pharma, for his part, takes a seat on the curb, his body shifting into antifreeze as he waits for the show to start.

In the distance, more dust clouds appear from the upper floors of the Marriott, as though large-scale demolition was going on. Sirens can be heard approaching, it seems the police are have noticed the fight winding down, and are sending in officers to make arrests.

(The Outsiders have accepted defeat, but combat hasn't ended, because now the goal is to keep Nightwitch from outright murdering someone long enough for her to calm down, preferably while also preventing the five Outsiders that are still conscious from escaping without giving them ammunition to claim brutality and avoid a jail sentence. The chemicals will wear off on their own in an hour or two, though your characters might not be okay with knocking her out. The Outsiders won't try to escape as long as one of you is keeping an eye on them, though they're right now in three groups, the three that were fighting Prototype and Firewall and are absolutely the primary flight risks, the one Groo just traumatized who will probably be a while getting up even if left alone, and Pharma, who is presently unattended, but seems content to watch things unfold. If the bad guys are given an opportunity to run, they'll act after all of you guys, so no need to worry about their initiative rolls, because now you gotta worry about Stella's.)

EDIT: (For the mechanical details of what happened with Flashpoint, he was down at just 2 HP after that hit from Stormcrow, and certain things can combine to cause damage outside of normal attacks, like putting a dude that's flying right next to someone projecting anti-gravity horizontally when there's stuff to knock them into.)

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 4, 2015

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Groo the Eternal

Groo drops to one knee next to the weeping ganger. "Sorry about that, kiddo. It'll stop soon. You should really pick a safer line of work." He was about to add something else, but then he glances up and sees what's happened to Nightwitch. "Ah, hell."

Rising slowly to his feet, he moves towards the surrendered gangmembers and yells, "I'll keep an eye on the punks!" He was pretty sure he could take whatever the kid dished out, and if not, well, he'd get over it.

I assume we're still rolling Initiative, then.

Initiative: 11

Action 1: Move to the gangers and watch them. I'm guaranteed to be acting after pretty much everyone this turn, but for any future turns I'll be attempting to outright body-block any attacks aimed at the Outsiders and take them myself.

pre:
PP: 53/71

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Stormcrow

"Nightwitch? What'd he do to you?" Stormcrow asks, running over to his teammate. He glances at the surrendering villain and frowns, scenarios running through his head. Poisoning? It could be that, he supposes. Something else? Drugged her somehow? He doesn't have any equipment to test her blood or anything, so he can't tell offhand.

He focuses on Nightwitch again.

Initiative is 22

Action 1 - Move to Nightwitch

Action 2- Weakness Detection on Nightwitch.

pre:
Power Points 64/66

Sonic Defense is enabled
Edit: This will all change if Nightwitch goes before Stormcrow.

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 6, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Nightwitch

Saving throw: 1d20 8 - so close. It had to be a Charisma save, didn't it?

Initiative ONLY CORRECTLY ROLLED THIS TIME: 1d10+15 23

"'Little girl.'" Nightwitch's voice is quiet, ominous. "Do you have any idea how tired I am of hearing that crap? How tired I am of being talked down to?" Her left gauntlet flashes, flares, an unearthly chill filling the air as she fires ice at the smug little prick who just dosed her with Rage Drugs. "'Go wash the dishes.' 'You have to try harder in school.' 'I only left that scrying orb in the shower because I wanted to see if you could detect it.' 'You take too long to learn dead languages so I'm going to have to tattoo Arcane Sigils Of Intellect into your friggin' scalp hold still and stop crying the demon blood ink will stop stinging eventually and your hair will grow back' gently caress you gently caress YOU RIGHT IN THE loving EAR"

Ice. Fire. Hurting. Remember when you were a teenager and every scrap of emotional pain you felt was the worst feeling in the entire world? Nightwitch is taking all that pain and trying to share it. All at once. All at once in the form of a big-rear end sword made out of Literal Hellfire.

In the corner of her eye she catches movement. Someone might try to stop her from giving this jackass the hellishly agonizing death he so richly deserves. This cannot be! She thinks about creating a barrier, an enclosure to keep others out while she torments Pharma - but she doesn't have the time. She's too busy listening for the screams.

[i]Gonna try pulling some Neat Tricks (tm) here. She's angry, but she's still got a friggin' 45 Intelligence. Also she's mad enough that "not spending Power like water" seems like a silly idea.

Action One: an Ice Power Special Attack. Okay, so he's antifreeze. Freezing him directly won't work. You know what will? Surrounding him in an airtight shell of ice. Oh, look, he's not frozen, good for him, he still ain't getting out. Ice Power vs. Chemical Power gives me a TN of 0, +2 for Accuracy, -1 because we're the same level for a total of 1. Let's spend 14 Power to bump that up to 15 (I want a reasonable chance of failing my Murder Other roll):

Ice Power Special Attack: 2#1d20 14 9

Action Two: a Fire Power (gauntlet, flame sword) Special Attack. Jam that bad boy in there and start pumping in enough hellfire and heat that he starts to boil over. With enough ice surrounding him, he'll start turning into vapor faster than the ice starts to melt - which will make him expand. Only he can't expand, he's surrounded by ice. It should feel a lot like being cooked to death and crushed to death at the same time. Same basic TN of 1, spending another 14 Power.

I will note that Nightwitch isn't just trying to kill this dude; she's trying to do it slowly.

Fire Power Special Attack: 2#1d20 13 11

Pharma may in the future wish to reconsider the whole 'trigger a berserk rage' attack when the berserk person is looking right at him and already doesn't like him. That ain't what you might call a long-term survival strategy.

Assuming that we spend Power only once instead of twice for Special Attacks, Ice Gauntlet has 36 Power remaining (31 if double-spend is a thing), Flame Gauntlet has 30 Power (25 with double-spend), and Stella has 40 remaining (12 with double-spend).

(P.S. sorry this took so long, was dealing with (non-emergency, thankfully) Family Medical poo poo today. I hate being the one the whole thread is waiting on, sorry about that.)

P.P.S. I hosed up my Initiative roll I am a dummy. Edited out the third action and made a slight alteration to my post. I am an idiot sorry about that

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 6, 2015

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Stormcrow

"What are you doing?" Stormcrow shouts, watching the display as Nightwitch goes nuts. "Someone get the gauntlets off her!"

Initiative is 22

Action 1 - Move to Nightwitch.

Action 2 - Try to tackle her, I suppose? Dumping 10 power into hand to hand to hit. 10 vs 15 hits.. Special attack roll: 3 vs 16 hits. (Let me know if I did this wrong)

pre:
Power Points 54/66

Sonic Defense is enabled

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 6, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(When attacking materials, every material has a Structural Rating, which represents the HP per cubic foot of material, though your damage must also exceed the base Structural Rating to destroy any of it at all. For ice, the Structural Rating is 2, so, if you deal 1 damage, it won't do anything, but otherwise for every two damage your attack deals, it destroys one cubic foot of material. DCB, determine how many cubic feet of ice you made, we'll use the "creating masses of ice" rule, so you can make as much ice as you have movement points. Also, remember that it will lose a cubic foot each turn on its own if you don't pay the upkeep. Also you only spend once for special attacks.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

(When attacking materials, every material has a Structural Rating, which represents the HP per cubic foot of material, though your damage must also exceed the base Structural Rating to destroy any of it at all. For ice, the Structural Rating is 2, so, if you deal 1 damage, it won't do anything, but otherwise for every two damage your attack deals, it destroys one cubic foot of material. DCB, determine how many cubic feet of ice you made, we'll use the "creating masses of ice" rule, so you can make as much ice as you have movement points. Also, remember that it will lose a cubic foot each turn on its own if you don't pay the upkeep. Also you only spend once for special attacks.)

37 Movement Points, right? So 37 cubic feet of ice. I did some quick back-of-the-envelope math and I think that's roughly a foot of thickness emanating from his body in all directions. Maybe a shade over. That's thick enough to be mean and thin enough for the flame sword to be able to penetrate and dump heat into Antifreeze Lad.

EDIT: I would also suggest that the ice should melt at an accelerated speed since she's dumping in heat, but that's up to you.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(Be sure to factor in the amount you move, too. He was about thirty feet away from you at the time, so that's six points you spent moving. Movement spent on one thing can't be spent on any others that turn, and multiple actions don't change how much Movement you have.)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Firewall
maintaining Negative Energy for 2 power, put all 4 damage taken to power
Initiative: 1d10+13 14

Ah gently caress. This was bad. Pharma was a bastard, but he didn't deserve to die, really. Pulling up his football skills from his previous life, he booked it towards the younger girl. It helped that his feet weren't really touching the ground the earth repelled him as he sprinted towards the ball of ice, trying to get close enough to Nightwitch so she was knocked loose from murdering the supervillain. Rocks, debris and loose pieces of the road scattered from around him like a hurricane of scrap and glass as he sprinted to the teenage witch. He had to stop her before anything else went too terribly. Plus, having fire control might stop her from hurting him too much.

Running to Nightwitch with negative matter active, if I make Pharma uncomfortable by putting him between a hard place and the eternal force of gravity... oh well.

pre:
Basic Hits: 6
HP: 12/22
Movement: 260ft./round

Power Points 46/58

Damage Mod: 0

Detect Hidden: 6%
Detect Danger: 11%

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Prototype
Maintaining Vibratory Powers defence, taking 8 damage to power and 5 to HP

For a moment there things were going so well. Valerie had been flashing a grin at the disarmed thugs and she'd (mostly, ouch) got out of the way of that fireball, but now Nightwitch (possibly the most advanced magic user left on earth, she'd said) is starting to look psychotic, and this smug dick Pharma looks like it's Christmas morning. "Oh, poo poo -"

Like Firewall and Stormcrow, her first instinct is to try and get to their teammate. She's sure she's the fastest on her feet, but maybe not fast enough...

Initiative: 1d10+24 31

Action 1: Special attack to tackle the berserk magician: 2#1d20 17 8 Didn't spend any power, so that's an obvious miss.

Action 2: Special attack, try to trip Nightwitch, spending 12 power: 2#1d20 5 6 Pretty sure that hits, though.

Action 3: Evade

pre:
Hitpoints: 49/54

Power Points: 52/80
Disintegration Ray: 15/17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(Okay, I'll assume Space Man probably wants none of this fracas and, if anything, will try to teleport someone away. Nightwitch will need to be attacked to be teleported, but it should be safe to assume the others are willing targets and don't need rolls made if you wanna pull them over. Pharma will also not need a roll made, but the reason for that will be clear by the end of the post. Protip: Water is bizarrely reactive with a lot of nasty compounds. Also, because there are no NPCs involved here, I'll use the normal combat order rules, to keep things spicy.)

Prototype is the first to try to stop the enraged Nightwitch, but her initial lunge misses, allowing the teenager to put Pharma on ice. However, as she charges him, she falls flat on her face, tripped by Valerie, her fire sword falling from her hand and dissipating. As Firewall and Stormcrow rush to ensure that the situation is under control, muffled laughter can be heard from inside the ice. Kowalski's chemical analysis visual upgrade flares to life, delivering a deeply troubling report. Pharma just turned into pure potassium.

(Welcome to the bomb rules! :bubblewoop: A human-sized mass of potassium blowing an even larger chunk of ice is roughly equivalent to a Large Bomb in terms of concussive force and shrapnel. Bombs, as weapons, are HTH attacks, large ones are +5 to hit, and deal 2d20 damage to everyone in range. Because Pharma can't tell who's nearby aside from the obvious, Nightwitch, he won't get his Weakness Detection bonus against Firewall, though a supernatural version of the power, like Stormcrow's, would work regardless of such impediments, for future reference. These attacks are all from the front, as Pharma's smug laughter gave everyone fair warning. Nightwitch, having lost her weapon, is without the benefit of Flame Powers. Were she more than ten feet away, it would take a special attack roll to hit her while prone like this. As it is, The roll is 14 vs. a total of 16. Prototype barely evades with 5 against her evasion-enhanced target of 0. Firewall deflects the shards with 8 against his 5. Stormcrow's sonic waves protect him with 10 over his 7. Pharma, however, is also hit, what with him being the explosion, though he doesn't add his damage mod to his self-inflicted damage. Nightwitch takes a total of 22 damage, while Pharma takes 9.)

The explosion rocks the city street, burning ice scattering everywhere. Prototype is ready for it, and quickly ducks, avoiding most of the damage, the rest repelled by her vibration waves. Stormcrow and Firewall are similarly protected by their powers, shrapnel deflecting away from them. Nightwitch, however, isn't so lucky. Launched back by the explosion, she hits the ground, hard, unconscious at Groo's feet. The gang members he's watching whistle impressed. A large shard of ice protrudes from Stella's shoulder, but it doesn't look like anything vital has been hit. Pharma remains standing, having been the center of the explosion, and he slowly shifts back to human form, walking out from the remains. He reaches the three nearby heroes and looks them over, studying them, then he smiles. The last thing he says before slumping to the ground, also unconscious, is, "Totally worth it."

(Pharma has used Detect Weakness on Prototype and Stormcrow, and promptly passed out. He technically still had 4 HP, but there's no way he was gonna go another round.)

The police sirens approach closer, it seems they'll be here momentarily. The heroes have a moment to collect themselves before all hell breaks loose all over again. Because they can be certain, those police are going to be followed by news crews, and there remains the matter of The Wall. In the distance, the Marriott building seems to have calmed down, The Wall must have escaped, or been apprehended by someone else.

As things calm down, one of the gang members says something. "Hey, scary guy, uh, sorry about your crazy friend, but, thanks for showing up. We were all kinda hoping somebody would."

(Okay, here's everyone's chance to prep things for the arresting officers and any reporters that show up. There's enough time for Groo to try using his powers to heal Nightwitch up a bit, she's at 0 HP and down ten Power from her previous total, but there's no ongoing damage or anything from being Incapacitated, which is what happens when you're out of HP. Now, keep in mind, the drugs are not out of her system, so she'll still be mad if she wakes up. For now, Stella can make a wake-up check once per hour, as per the unconsciousness rules, at which point she'll automatically get some HP back. If restored to full HP, she can make wake-up checks every round, as though normally unconscious. All the ice will fade pretty much immediately, since it needed Nightwitch's power to maintain itself, anyway. Also, Groo can use Flesh Works to heal anyone else on the team, if he wants.)

• Locked thread