Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

AntiPseudonym posted:

I'll be honest; whenever I search for your game I always look for "Cat that wore a fedora" because I can never remember the actual title. So at least the subtitle worked!

... and at least it's Googleable, unlike some. *cough*

That's the thing though, sometimes you find a title that fits so well you just can't not use it. For the longest time we had a really hard time coming up with a title that suited all of our needs. We wanted to convey the underwater setting, the multiplayer aspect, etc. and nothing was really clicking for us. Eventually we figured one out - "We Need to Go Deeper", where "we" implies multiplayer, and the "deeper" implies the underwater setting, and the overall title was a nice fit as a title-as-goal-of-game thing, "Don't Starve" or "Mine(&)Craft" style. The only problem is that there's that stupid meme that we would inevitably remind people of. And more to the point, is way harder to compete with on Google since that meme was so prevalent back in the day. Luckily we're crawling our way up the rankings on that thanks to the meme largely having died off since. Still though, unnecessary risk perhaps but the title fit the bill too well.

EDIT: Which, incidentally, is what I happen to think about "Hot Tin Roof". The title is very noir-y and while it doesn't say detective per say, it DOES say "drama + cats" immediately. Though I do understand the need for the subtitle, I really do think the original title is catchy as hell.

Bert of the Forest fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

munce posted:

Nice work. Reminds me of that old star wars vector graphics game from the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA_kDTwZodQ

I love that aesthetic. The clarity was kind of impressive, when you think about all the efforts made since then to orient someone in 3d space and still get them to do something competitive. I tried to get my wife to play Destiny the other day, and she spent a bunch of time staring at black nothingness just trying to figure out where she was pointed, let alone what she was shooting.

Cool to bring that back.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sigma-X posted:

It says absolutely nothing about your game and just sounds like cool sounds next to each other.

You could get more on-the-nose with a subtitle, like "Osaka Jazz: Investigations" or something like that, but honestly I would try to find some words that convey the idea.

I'm assuming you went for "Location where the game happens" plus "non-obvious Noir thing" but a) IDK if your game is a Noir, b) Osaka doesn't have Noir detectives With Jazz, that's American Film c) I can only tie these words back to your game because I know about it, and I am only guessing that it takes place in Osaka (and I thought it was a modern lady detective?).

Those are all really good points. Thematically it's a bit of a bizarre mish-mash, as it's basically a jazz era noir feel set in 1980s Osaka. Gameplay-wise, it's almost literally the child LA Noire and Yakuza should've had- "Detective-themed action RPG with neat urban setting".

Another marketing issue I'm thinking around is trying to avoid getting shoehorned: in spite of its setting, this isn't an anime/Japanese visual culture-themed game at all, and one of the challenges of getting a title that combines setting and gameplay is that I don't want to chase off people who hear Osaka/Kansai/generic Japanese and think "Meh, I'm not an anime person, this probably won't be for me".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

You could get more on-the-nose with a subtitle, like "Osaka Jazz: Investigations"

Oh god no. Like, nothing personal, but that's a wretched title. Like, for me, not much puts me off a game faster than a lovely subtitle. I personally think that subtitles should be avoided entirely unless it's a sequel.

Osaka Jazz is a fine title. I think it adequately conveys what you're going after, which is sorta noir, and old-school Japan. "Osaka" doesn't sound anime. If it was something with more syllables, then yeah it would sound anime, but Osaka sounds "old Japan" to me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Since we're talking about PR and marketing I know why you feel icky; marketing has a terrible, terrible reputation. The reason for that is pretty obvious; a significant chunk of the marketing industry is tasked with selling poo poo for gold. I'm sure we've all bought at least one thing that marketing made sound amazing but turned out to be garbage.

This does not mean that all marketing is awful and icky. If you're creating things you have every right to talk about it, try to build a following, and try to sell it. Making things, especially anything involving programming, takes a ton of time and effort. If you make a good thing that people enjoy it really isn't wrong to ask for a bit of a paycheck. Seriously. Don't feel bad. If you get good enough to do it full time you're probably making stuff other people are enjoying and, doing it full time, can put more effort into making better things.

But if you feel icky then focus on not being the icky, sleazy marketer and instead be the nice one. Post screenshots. Be all like "hey I'm making this type of game for people who like that sort of thing. If this isn't your jam then like, that's OK, man." One of the reason PR feels icky is that the marketing industry has a bit of a history of trying to sell things to people who don't want it and ripping them off in the process. There have also been games, movies, and, well, everything really that relied more on the marketing that the product to make money. I'm sure we can all think of one example of something that looked amazing, sold well for a while, then dropped off as people realized it sucked.

If you don't want to feel icky then don't do that. Make things that don't suck and don't try to make them sound like something they aren't.

Also don't feel like you're doing something wrong if you end up alienating certain demographics. You'll do that. Be specific. If you're making a tactical RPG then target TRPG players rather than FPS players. Really, somebody that likes easy, casual games isn't going to buy a ludicrously difficult TRPG and enjoy it. That's fine; don't market to them. Market it to people who want a punishingly difficult, complex game.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I added some happy little mountains in the background.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Bert of the Forest posted:

That's the thing though, sometimes you find a title that fits so well you just can't not use it. For the longest time we had a really hard time coming up with a title that suited all of our needs. We wanted to convey the underwater setting, the multiplayer aspect, etc. and nothing was really clicking for us. Eventually we figured one out - "We Need to Go Deeper", where "we" implies multiplayer, and the "deeper" implies the underwater setting, and the overall title was a nice fit as a title-as-goal-of-game thing, "Don't Starve" or "Mine(&)Craft" style. The only problem is that there's that stupid meme that we would inevitably remind people of. And more to the point, is way harder to compete with on Google since that meme was so prevalent back in the day. Luckily we're crawling our way up the rankings on that thanks to the meme largely having died off since. Still though, unnecessary risk perhaps but the title fit the bill too well.

EDIT: Which, incidentally, is what I happen to think about "Hot Tin Roof". The title is very noir-y and while it doesn't say detective per say, it DOES say "drama + cats" immediately. Though I do understand the need for the subtitle, I really do think the original title is catchy as hell.

Yeah, Mystery was originally the codename for the game, but I spent weeks poring over lists of potential names and absolutely none of them were as succinct at got the point across as well as Mystery did. I mean, it's a murder mystery with a greater mystery looming over it, and one of the key themes is always having something intriguing and mysterious for the player to investigate. I also really, really prefer short titles, and almost all of the alternates were just "The House On Manor Hill" or other such trite things.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This does not mean that all marketing is awful and icky. If you're creating things you have every right to talk about it, try to build a following, and try to sell it. Making things, especially anything involving programming, takes a ton of time and effort. If you make a good thing that people enjoy it really isn't wrong to ask for a bit of a paycheck. Seriously. Don't feel bad. If you get good enough to do it full time you're probably making stuff other people are enjoying and, doing it full time, can put more effort into making better things.

All of this. Like it's definitely a learning curve for people like me that just aren't used to talking about their projects at all, when I started out doing all the marketing felt incredibly forced because it was outside of my comfort zone. Although the thing about being indie is you don't have to have the layer of professionalism you do in non-indie games (Neutral, positive, actionable language), because just being excited about your game and laughing at all the silly things that go wrong is charming enough to actually bring people in. It may take a while to sort of lose the "This is uncomfortable" shroud but the more you do it, the more you'll be able to talk about the game in natural language rather than feeling like you're pitching to people. Although I've found having a personal twitter where I just talk about the game casually and a 'business twitter' for the more dry call-to-action stuff seems to be working out pretty well, too.

Although a few days ago I did a tweet that was basically thanking Logitech for giving us a pair of headphones to demo Mystery with at PAX, but maaan that felt like a slimy product placement post. They really did us a solid, but was hard to get that across in a tweet.

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

I added some happy little mountains in the background.

Also is that basically Ninja Rope: The game? It looks so peaceful and relaxing, I'm totally down for that!

AntiPseudonym fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 6, 2015

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

AntiPseudonym posted:

Yeah, Mystery was originally the codename for the game, but I spent weeks poring over lists of potential names and absolutely none of them were as succinct at got the point across as well as Mystery did. I mean, it's a murder mystery with a greater mystery looming over it, and one of the key themes is always having something intriguing and mysterious for the player to investigate. I also really, really prefer short titles, and almost all of the alternates were just "The House On Manor Hill" or other such trite things.

This seems like a pretty common story. Our game is set in ancient Sumer, so our placeholder name for it was just "Sumer". Then we decided we wanted to pick a real name, so we spent about a month arguing over alternatives and eventually just held a big vote. Every name we found was worse than Sumer, so that's what we're going with. We did a whole lot of trying to work with names of ancient Mesopotamian gods and absolutely anything we could think of, but we had nothing.

I think our second best name was probably "Lords of Barley," which a grim part of me is tempted to try to make into our subtitle.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Omi no Kami posted:

Those are all really good points. Thematically it's a bit of a bizarre mish-mash, as it's basically a jazz era noir feel set in 1980s Osaka. Gameplay-wise, it's almost literally the child LA Noire and Yakuza should've had- "Detective-themed action RPG with neat urban setting".

Another marketing issue I'm thinking around is trying to avoid getting shoehorned: in spite of its setting, this isn't an anime/Japanese visual culture-themed game at all, and one of the challenges of getting a title that combines setting and gameplay is that I don't want to chase off people who hear Osaka/Kansai/generic Japanese and think "Meh, I'm not an anime person, this probably won't be for me".

"Osaka Gumshoe" ?

Or is your character an actual police officer?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

The Kins posted:

IIRC Downwell was signed after a Guardian article on Japanese indies highlighted the game. Or at least, that's what the developer credits with getting him noticed.

The whole story of Downwell's development is just a cavalcade of pure luck. The dude only started making games in March after reading this, for gently caress's sake!

Well fart. Will report back with actual information. :B
In my case I believe they saw the Rock Paper Shotgun article. It did have a gif in it though! :v:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hidden Asbestos posted:

"Osaka Gumshoe" ?

Or is your character an actual police officer?

I actually haven't decided yet- in my original design document she was a detective with a year left on the job, but I keep waffling on this and considering making her a PI. I'll probably split the difference, and make her a detective who does private casework on the side.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of marketing and PR I'm trying to finalize a title so I'm all set to start shilling my thing like a boss once the production assets are done, and what do you guys think of Osaka Jazz? I like the sound of it, but I'm concerned that it doesn't articulate anything about the game; the title alone doesn't really tell me what it is or motivate me to learn more about it.

Y'know, I really didn't like it at first, but the more I hear it the more I like it.

Sorta like a reverse B Sharps.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Thanks! I'm not convinced the idea is 100% transparent to anyone who doesn't know exactly what I'm thinking, but I'm at least partly convinced that it nails the ambiance I'm trying to evoke.

Now that I'm thinking about marketing, I think I somewhat lucked out in my design: I had the USP from the start, but if I hadn't spent so much time playtesting it to ensure the mechanics remained fun and menu-free I'm pretty sure I would've ended up with something so overly complex that demonstrating it in 15 seconds or less would be absolutely impossible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Are there rules of thumb (har) for mobile development about how big and/or well separated touch targets need to be, and how precise dragging should be, and where the player's hands are expected to reach?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of marketing and PR I'm trying to finalize a title so I'm all set to start shilling my thing like a boss once the production assets are done, and what do you guys think of Osaka Jazz? I like the sound of it, but I'm concerned that it doesn't articulate anything about the game; the title alone doesn't really tell me what it is or motivate me to learn more about it.

It's brief, it's unique, it sets a tone, there's no other game you could be talking about in conversation, it won't embarrass anyone to say it, and it rolls off the tongue nicely. The only possible "problem" with it is that it doesn't immediately tell you exactly what the game is about, but neither does The Binding of Isaac. Sometimes a bit of mystery in the title gets people intrigued.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I don't think the name is a good idea, unfortunately. Firstly it makes me think it's some kind of music game, secondly the chance of someone googling Osaka and/or Jazz and getting your game is minimal, and thirdly, it just doesn't sound dark enough to be fitting for a game about murders and crime and stuff. A lot of people don't like jazz, and most people have no mental connotations attached to Osaka whatsoever.

Binding of Isaac is a bad example to pick. McMillen had a strong reputation well ahead of the release of that game from stuff like Super Meat Boy and Gish. Especially in today's environment, a game called something like that from a dev without a following would probably sink without a trace.

EDIT:
I have also the (unsupported) suspicion that you really shouldn't be worried about people with an antipathy to anime turning their nose up at the game due to the title, and should be more interested in appealing to people with an interest in japanese culture, even if your game doesn't directly use that style. If it appears at all in your marketting, your setting should be a selling point.

Why, precisely, is your game set in Japan specifically? If it's because you have something to say in that direction, then don't be coy about it.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 6, 2015

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Fangz posted:

secondly the chance of someone googling Osaka and/or Jazz and getting your game is minimal

I just did a quick google of "Osaka Jazz" and there are currently 5850 results, most of which are about jazz bars in Osaka. I'd say a modest amount of marketing effort could easily put it at the top of those results. Google seems to prioritise actual products - Mike Bithell's Volume is at the top of its google results, despite 1.1 billion results. Even my old lovely flash game Bread Duck is easily found.

I don't think game name is as important as some are making out, as long as it's not actively bad. It just needs to sound good, even if it's not entirely appropriate (e.g. Gunpoint is a good name even though it ended up not describing the gameplay much at all)

I like Osaka Jazz.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Fangz posted:

EDIT:
I have also the (unsupported) suspicion that you really shouldn't be worried about people with an antipathy to anime turning their nose up at the game due to the title, and should be more interested in appealing to people with an interest in japanese culture, even if your game doesn't directly use that style. If it appears at all in your marketting, your setting should be a selling point.

Why, precisely, is your game set in Japan specifically? If it's because you have something to say in that direction, then don't be coy about it.

Mainly because I like Japan. :) I'm a scholar of premodern Japanese religious history in real life, and my original plan was to make games that specifically feed into my research. I'm unconvinced that many people would want to play a game about 12th century pedagogical techniques, but I still see a lot of visual and cultural elements that are under-used in western games. For this particular project I implemented most of the basic gameplay before I even thought about setting. Once I started thinking about the narrative elements, my brain naturally set it in late-Showa era Kansai region, and if you're making a game about crime in the kansai region, Osaka is the obvious place to do it.

Edit: now that I think about it, in my earliest drafts I also considered 1930s Shanghai, but Kung Fu Hustle and Sleeping Dogs have both done truly excellent crime drama in China/HK, and I didn't feel I had anything interesting to say about the region and theme that they hadn't done better.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 6, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Mainly because I like Japan. :) I'm a scholar of premodern Japanese religious history in real life, and my original plan was to make games that specifically feed into my research. I'm unconvinced that many people would want to play a game about 12th century pedagogical techniques, but I still see a lot of visual and cultural elements that are under-used in western games. For this particular project I implemented most of the basic gameplay before I even thought about setting. Once I started thinking about the narrative elements, my brain naturally set it in late-Showa era Kansai region, and if you're making a game about crime in the kansai region, Osaka is the obvious place to do it.

Edit: now that I think about it, in my earliest drafts I also considered 1930s Shanghai, but Kung Fu Hustle and Sleeping Dogs have both done truly excellent crime drama in China/HK, and I didn't feel I had anything interesting to say about the region and theme that they hadn't done better.

What would you say are the aspects unique to this setting in this period?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Well, the most important by far is that it satisfies the dual requirement of "modern-day story without cell phones," because I wanted to tell a modern(ish) story, but I don't want to deal with everybody and their uncle possessing comm devices that are borderline impossible for cops to trace. :)

From the writing perspective, the late 70s/early 80s in Japan have coagulated into a fairly distinct setting for modern crime fiction, kind of like the role the prohibition era served for people who wrote detective stories in the early 40s. It marked a simultaneous period of massive domestic prosperity, relatively few scary geopolitical issues (from their standpoint), and a truly massive power struggle within the Yakuza that a good writer can easily spin to make the streets of commercial districts seem like the gangster equivalent of the spanish main during piracy's golden age.

In short, it's a consolidated enough genre to give me a gigantic grab-bag of tropes to draw on without containing a lot of the complications that setting it even ten years later would.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

HelixFox posted:

I don't think game name is as important as some are making out, as long as it's not actively bad. It just needs to sound good, even if it's not entirely appropriate (e.g. Gunpoint is a good name even though it ended up not describing the gameplay much at all)

This is pretty much what I've found, watching people around me have successes a failures seemingly randomly with all sorts of names.

Like if you can get a unique, memorable and appropriate name it'll definitely help you in the important early days of getting your name out there, but not being able to have all of 'em isn't going to sink you either. There are a tonne of well-known games and brands that if you approached me with the names now I'd probably say "Nah that's a terrible name", but managed to stick enough that they don't sound weird anymore. Binding Of Isaac in particular.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Doing some research for a new thing - Pick 5-6 of your favorite or what you would consider a cool theme for an interior room in a house - http://strawpoll.me/5933509/

Feel free to suggest others if they aren't on the list.

Fangz posted:

Are there rules of thumb (har) for mobile development about how big and/or well separated touch targets need to be, and how precise dragging should be, and where the player's hands are expected to reach?

Apple recommends at least 44x44 points for a touch area - See the bottom of this page https://developer.apple.com/library...006556-CH54-SW1

RhysD fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 6, 2015

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

Hey, someone that's more knowledgeable about Steam and Greenlight, I'm getting a weird smattering of traffic referred from odd places. Like a few Counterstrike and DOTA sites that don't seem to have anything to do with Greenlight at all, and a fair number from the Steam store rather than the steamcommunity pages that Greenlight stuff normally comes from. Anyone have any ideas why these referrals might be happening? I've had a look at the pages and there doesn't seem to be any ads or links to any greenlight stuff so it just seems weird.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Sometimes google analytics is a bit poo poo and mis-attributes stuff like that, I've found. Think of it as a guideline, not fact :P

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a technical question about lighting in Unity that I may have asked before. I want to have baked lights react to switches. It is another thing I take for granted from level editing in Half-Life and Quake 2 in the day. I cannot figure out how to achieve that in Unity.

It looks like after I bake the lights, I could delete them completely and still get the effect of the lights. They are just stuck. I cannot hit a light switch and turn off one.

I see a Unity addon that might help, but I am surprised that is what it would take.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a technical question about lighting in Unity that I may have asked before. I want to have baked lights react to switches. It is another thing I take for granted from level editing in Half-Life and Quake 2 in the day. I cannot figure out how to achieve that in Unity.

It looks like after I bake the lights, I could delete them completely and still get the effect of the lights. They are just stuck. I cannot hit a light switch and turn off one.

I see a Unity addon that might help, but I am surprised that is what it would take.
We handled this in Hot Tin Roof by flagging dynamic lights so that they wouldn't be baked (we disabled them in bake IIRC), and then after baking we disable all other (baked) lights. So in runtime, any light that can be turned on/off is just a normal dynamic light. We also did some fancy flagging to control if lights were baked onto dynamic objects (doors and such), and built out light volumes to apply the baked static lights to anything so-flagged as dynamic.

It was complicated enough that we had a whole other engineer on the team who just focused on that problem for a few months, since we'd built the entire game assuming dynamic lighting / deferred shading. If you're at the beginning of your project, save yourself the time, and get that pipeline down perfectly NOW. You'll likely end up making some custom tool scripts to facilitate the process.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 6, 2015

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

AntiPseudonym posted:

This is pretty much what I've found, watching people around me have successes a failures seemingly randomly with all sorts of names.

Like if you can get a unique, memorable and appropriate name it'll definitely help you in the important early days of getting your name out there, but not being able to have all of 'em isn't going to sink you either. There are a tonne of well-known games and brands that if you approached me with the names now I'd probably say "Nah that's a terrible name", but managed to stick enough that they don't sound weird anymore. Binding Of Isaac in particular.

Yeah the other side is pretty well encompassed by this article I think: http://designreboot.blogspot.com/2012/04/dog-name-theory.html

Basically, that as long as its SOMEWHAT relevant, people will just start to associate your game with it and that's all that really matters. The haul of getting to know what your game is is a small one as long as the game itself is easily pitchable, and the name will just come along for the ride once that's settled. So yeah, I mean if Osaka Jazz is just really doing it for ya, then it won't be a career ending decision to go for it.

Speaking of career ending decisions though - What do you guys think are the pros and cons of an Early Access release? We've been struggling to get Deeper out in a timely manner, and the best way to start getting a lot of testing in and start getting some funds to help continue things SEEMS like it would be Early Access. But with that said, I know a few of y'all already have experience with it, so I'm curious to get your opinions on it. Our game does seem like it would be a relatively good fit for the platform, considering it's both multiplayer and has a lot of proc-gen aspects that can always be added onto, but I'm afraid of the idea that we'd be coming out of the gate not as strong as we could have had we waited. But waiting is becoming less and less of an option as we all gotta, ya know, do life stuff in between. So, what do ya'll think? Would our game be a good fit? What kind of risks are we looking at here?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was having a similar issue and ended up just not using baked lighting (which works for the pixel art w/ dynamic lights look I've got, probably not as good an option for a full 3D thing). The issue I was having was that to really get nice moody room lighting, I designed a system where the ambient light itself would dim as you turned off lights. It looked really nice but the problem is that balked lighting would start to kind of glow, where even with pure black ambient lighting, you could still see the baked lighting areas because they weren't dimming with the dynamically lit objects.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Shalinor posted:

We handled this in Hot Tin Roof by flagging dynamic lights so that they wouldn't be baked (we disabled them in bake IIRC), and then after baking we disable all other (baked) lights. So in runtime, any light that can be turned on/off is just a normal dynamic light. We also did some fancy flagging to control if lights were baked onto dynamic objects (doors and such), and built out light volumes to apply the baked static lights to anything so-flagged as dynamic.
How many dynamic lights did you wind up having active at any given time? I'm looking at my example level with the single-wide trailer, and I would want to have four for the interior, plus porch lights.

I took lighting for granted when I wanted to come up with a mechanic that monsters hated lights, but the player's parents would try to come turn off the lights.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Yeah the other side is pretty well encompassed by this article I think: http://designreboot.blogspot.com/2012/04/dog-name-theory.html

Basically, that as long as its SOMEWHAT relevant, people will just start to associate your game with it and that's all that really matters. The haul of getting to know what your game is is a small one as long as the game itself is easily pitchable, and the name will just come along for the ride once that's settled. So yeah, I mean if Osaka Jazz is just really doing it for ya, then it won't be a career ending decision to go for it.

Speaking of career ending decisions though - What do you guys think are the pros and cons of an Early Access release? We've been struggling to get Deeper out in a timely manner, and the best way to start getting a lot of testing in and start getting some funds to help continue things SEEMS like it would be Early Access. But with that said, I know a few of y'all already have experience with it, so I'm curious to get your opinions on it. Our game does seem like it would be a relatively good fit for the platform, considering it's both multiplayer and has a lot of proc-gen aspects that can always be added onto, but I'm afraid of the idea that we'd be coming out of the gate not as strong as we could have had we waited. But waiting is becoming less and less of an option as we all gotta, ya know, do life stuff in between. So, what do ya'll think? Would our game be a good fit? What kind of risks are we looking at here?

I don't have an answer, but I'd be very interested in hearing other people's opinions about this too. I'm getting far enough in Roggle that I need to figure out my plans for release. How early do you start really working to gain visibility, more than just regular social media updates? What advice or approaches worked for those of you who have launched a successful(ish) game?

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Fangz posted:

How We Hold Our Gadgets is useful.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

DeathBySpoon posted:

I don't have an answer, but I'd be very interested in hearing other people's opinions about this too. I'm getting far enough in Roggle that I need to figure out my plans for release. How early do you start really working to gain visibility, more than just regular social media updates? What advice or approaches worked for those of you who have launched a successful(ish) game?

I can't seem to find it again, but I read an article a couple months back talking about how if you open a game up for Early Access, that is essentially your release day. All the hype, excitement, and sale surge that comes with your release will be focused on that day, even if you have a "full" release down the road. The state of the game in early release will also shape everyone's perception of it too.

So, if you're at a point where your core platform is pretty polished and stable, and you're just developing content or maybe a few more mechanics to layer in, it might be worth it. But if you do decide to go that route, you should expect to treat that as your release day.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How many dynamic lights did you wind up having active at any given time? I'm looking at my example level with the single-wide trailer, and I would want to have four for the interior, plus porch lights.

I took lighting for granted when I wanted to come up with a mechanic that monsters hated lights, but the player's parents would try to come turn off the lights.
Lots? in a given map, easily 40. On screen at any one time, 4 to 8? Number of dynamic lights isn't (generally) the issue, it's number of objects being dynamically lit and, especially, number of lights affecting a single object. Which is to say, so long as your dynamic lights are tight spots or the like, you're fine. Where you get into trouble is if you have 10 scene-spanning dynamic lights with hundreds of tables full of hundreds of little dynamic and thus dynamically lit dinguses.

Your Early Access launch is your launch.

Period.

While it is possible to get press for your 1.0 launch, and while Steam will give you the launch eyeballs it normally does on your real launch day, you need to think of EA launch as the only real surge you're going to get. So unless you've got a game that can impress RIGHT NOW, EA is a really bad idea. Also, if your game isn't something that can produce a huge, earth-shattering announcement (that will draw press eyeballs) well after release when you're ready to do 1.0? EA is also a really bad idea. Which means it's generally an awful idea for anything that isn't proceduraly driven, etc.

Look at it from the press's end of things. After they maybe do a small story on your new EA game if it isn't terrible, why should they cover it again? People have been out and playing it for months now, why does anyone care if you magically hit 1.0? They don't, is the answer. Unless you've either got something very, very big held back, or your game has drawn a huge community and just "ongoing news" on that game is enough to get that site some big clicks.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 6, 2015

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Double reply but meh - so, who all is in IGF this year? They just closed the entries, so the WAITING BEGINS...

This is the last year we can enter Hot Tin Roof, so we're all crossing our fingers. We got some positive feedback last year on the not-really-finished demo we submitted, so this year with the completed product... who knows! I'm at least super happy with this one specific screenshot as the header. It's the lobby to Ossified Egg, and my single favorite screen in the entire game:

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
I submitted Guild of Dungeoneering alright.

Had a look through the list of submitted games for 2016. Here's my shortlist of games that I'm pretty certain will get nominated for something or other:

Downwell
Her Story
Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes
Rain World
Sunset
Superhot
That Dragon, Cancer
The Beginner's Guide
Undertale

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

AntiPseudonym posted:

Also is that basically Ninja Rope: The game? It looks so peaceful and relaxing, I'm totally down for that!

Yeah, that's kind of what it's turning into. I'm thinking it's going to be a kind of laid-back endless runner type thing.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Since you already brought up lighting in HTR, and since I'm still teaching myself how to light indoors scenes, I'd love to hear how you set up this shot- it looks like two key lights where the elevators are, and two point lights in room center above where those circles are on the floor?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Shalinor posted:

Double reply but meh - so, who all is in IGF this year? They just closed the entries, so the WAITING BEGINS...

This is the last year we can enter Hot Tin Roof, so we're all crossing our fingers. We got some positive feedback last year on the not-really-finished demo we submitted, so this year with the completed product... who knows! I'm at least super happy with this one specific screenshot as the header. It's the lobby to Ossified Egg, and my single favorite screen in the entire game:

Sumer is in. Crossing my fingers!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

Since you already brought up lighting in HTR, and since I'm still teaching myself how to light indoors scenes, I'd love to hear how you set up this shot- it looks like two key lights where the elevators are, and two point lights in room center above where those circles are on the floor?
Every light in Hot Tin Roof has 2 parts - the fill light (non-shadowing point light) and the (shadow casting) spot light. The spot lights typically have the top of their cone somewhere near the light fixture itself, and are usually angled down and toward the camera, so that they cast big, dramatic shadows to fill the player <-> camera void. The fill light exists to give each light an ambient component, and especially, to light the face of the characters pointing away from the shadow light but toward the camera. So the two glows you see on the ceiling are from the two fill lights associated with those light fixtures. If the elevators were open, you'd see each elevator has a spot light in them to draw the eye, but no fill light, as the relative harshness drew attention better.

Other scenes in the game, like the Penthouse, are lit with a TON of non-shadowing colored point lights to create more of a lightmass feeling, which then got baked out as static. We didn't do that super often, though, since it was really, really labor-intensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yea, the game as a whole looks really nice, but the amount of manual labor you guys must've put into it is astonishing; I know it's not that bad once you have a standardized pipeline up and running, but the sheer attention to detail boggles me.

It makes me kind of glad that I'm shooting for a "realistic" lighting scheme; it doesn't carry anything close to the atmosphere and weight, but configuring GI as your primary lighting scheme is straightforward and super babby-friendly compared to that.