Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That looks good, are those oysters single file? If so they're huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Couple of those oysters are actually two oysters all caught up the egg wash breading. Oh pro-tip if you don't feel like messing around with doing your breading from scratch, Atkinson Milling does the most fantastic light yet flavorful and fluffy batter for seafood bar none.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nice lookin stuff man.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Cross post from what did you do for dinner thread:

I did Jambalaya for dinner, that's what.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nhilist posted:

Oyster Po' Boy with stone ground mustard caper remoulade.

Got drat, friend, you gonna hook us up?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nhilist posted:

Cross post from what did you do for dinner thread:

I did Jambalaya for dinner, that's what.

This is always my favorite.

Today I finally had some time off and a whole day to mess around. Bought a duck earlier in the week and figured I'd make a full duck gumbo, using the duckfat in the roux and the carcass for stock.

Roasted it for about 4.5 hrs at 250F, scored up the fatty bits of skin first and gave it lots of time to render out a lot of the fat.

Came out good, had a bit of crispy skin to snack on as well.

Everything else except the parsley, thyme and green onion

Deboned the duck and stripped the fat off of the skin, heated that a bit more and let some of the remaining fat render out. Duck bones and the harder giblets went into the pressure cooker along with onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns and a couple squeezes of lemon.
Pictured are the reserved duck meat, fat separating out and the pressure cooker before covering with water and cooking for 1.5hrs.

Duckfat and flour roux at the start:

And at the finish before adding in the trinity + sliced sausage:

Browining up the trinity and sausage then adding back in the duck meat:

After that was done got the pressure cooker duck stock and added back in to consistency, brought to a boil then simmered for 45 min.

Topped with green onion. Came out good. Duckfat and duck stock make a nice change to it and the duckfat roux is pretty drat awesome.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I also made the Jambalaya recipe from the OP and it was delicious and my first real experience with any kind of cajun food. I subbed chorizo (which made everything smell and taste faintly of chorizo) and canned tomatoes and didn't use any thyme due to external and unavoidable consumer preferences (it was still delicious). The rice was a little too mushy even coming out of the oven early and I don't know if that's because I used short grain or I spent too long on the cooktop but it certainly didn't spoil dinner by any means.

I ordered some crystal hot sauce and I'll definitely be making it again as soon as it arrives

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cpaf posted:

I also made the Jambalaya recipe from the OP and it was delicious and my first real experience with any kind of cajun food. I subbed chorizo (which made everything smell and taste faintly of chorizo) and canned tomatoes and didn't use any thyme due to external and unavoidable consumer preferences (it was still delicious). The rice was a little too mushy even coming out of the oven early and I don't know if that's because I used short grain or I spent too long on the cooktop but it certainly didn't spoil dinner by any means.

I ordered some crystal hot sauce and I'll definitely be making it again as soon as it arrives

Thats great to hear!

Getting the rice consistency right isn't easy even for people who've made it many times. It's tough because you have to try and estimate how much liquid to add on top of whatever your meats/ vegetables are releasing. Typically it being mushy is probably due to either too much liquid or boiling it for too long before covering it and cooking it at a lower temperature. Either way it'll still taste good. Best to just play around with it, fortunately it's a cheap dish.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mods please change name to Duckfat Roux

Awesome gumbo BTW

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

quote:

Topped with green onion. Came out good. Duckfat and duck stock make a nice change to it and the duckfat roux is pretty drat awesome.

C'est si bon! I can only imagine that roux.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks guys. I highly recommend it. The duck gives you so much fat I had a lot left over to use for cooking today for the rest of the meals for the week. You can do the roasting etc any time beforehand and just toss the meat / fat in the fridge and make your gumbo whenever you like. Nothing hard to do at all, just a little more work.

Just for reference, without even trying to fully render out all the other fat / skin afterwards I got just under 1 cup of fat in the dripping pan after separating. For a single duck I used 1/2 cup of fat and 2/3 cup of flour for the roux. I only used that fat, I think next time I'd probably add in 2-3 tablespoons of butter along with it to make the roux, makes it a little easier to get a good color and I think the flavor would improve even more.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I do believe I know what I'll be doing as soon as the weather gets chilly.

I have this really great smoked and dried venison sausage that I got outside of Austin recently that I'm curious about trying in a gumbo. It wouldn't need to be browned, but I might simmer it in the stock first, but hopefully not long enough to lose its "toothsomeness" since it's not quite jerky-dry, but much drier than regular andouille or other smoked sausage. I think it would work well with duck. A nice "hoo boy, it finally done got cold" kind of gumbo. Of course, I have a ton of sausage from the farmer's market that needs to be dealt with so maybe I'll save the dried sausage for something else.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mushika posted:

I do believe I know what I'll be doing as soon as the weather gets chilly.

I have this really great smoked and dried venison sausage that I got outside of Austin recently that I'm curious about trying in a gumbo. It wouldn't need to be browned, but I might simmer it in the stock first, but hopefully not long enough to lose its "toothsomeness" since it's not quite jerky-dry, but much drier than regular andouille or other smoked sausage. I think it would work well with duck. A nice "hoo boy, it finally done got cold" kind of gumbo. Of course, I have a ton of sausage from the farmer's market that needs to be dealt with so maybe I'll save the dried sausage for something else.

You could try adding it in 2-3 steps and see how big of a gradient you get in softness if you use the venison sausage.

When I lived in Austin we would routinely get some "jalapeno sausage" from a butcher out in Elgin for our tailgates. It seemed overall like a kielbasa but with a good amount of pickled jalapeno ground in. It was drat good for making gumbo too.

Another good fall gumbo is with turkey. I always keep the carcasses of my smoked turkeys for thanksgiving and make a really nice smoky stock from those and end up using a lot of the drier bits of meat in the gumbo along with more sausage. Good stuff.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I got some cheap smoke cured chorizo this week (half price, so 2 sausages for $2.30)
I didn't feel like doing a gumbo, so I jambalaya-ed
I used earlier recipes as a template, like That work's, but as I know my rice, I did 1.5 cup rice, 2.75 cups stock and it came out of the oven just right.
Also I didn't have fresh or canned tomatoes - I would have added them after frying some tomato paste first. So I just added a cup of passata/puree/sauce. E: That's going to make a difference on how much stock to use due to the liquid in the tomatoes or can.

Chicken & Andouille Sausage Jambalaya Recipe

1 Tbsp butter
1-2 andouille (or chorizo, keilbasa) sausages, diced
1 brown onion, diced
1 green capsicum, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes or a few fresh ones diced
1 1/2 cups rice
2 3/4 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
200-300g chicken, diced
1 Tbsp cajun seasoning mix (cayenne, white pepper, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, thyme) - It was a recipe borrowed from c-euro IIRC, so I don't remember all the details as I already had it in a jar.

Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.

Directions
Melt the butter, saute the sausage until browned. Add the trinity (capsicum, onion, celery) saute until tender. Add the garlic and tomato paste, cook for about one minute. Add the seasoning and tomatoes, stir to mix. Add the Rice, cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add the Stock, worcestershire and chicken.
Stir well and transfer to the oven to bake, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked. (stir halfway through)
Top with parsley to serve.

Came out just right after 30 min. Might need to add just a little more salt and pepper.

E: I used chicken breast, so I didn't want to brown it and risk overcooking and being tough, so I threw it into the pot raw.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 6, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
One thing I've been experimenting with over the past year for things like jambalaya & creoles is reserving some of the veggie ingredients and sauteing them separately to throw in at the very end.

I started doing that because I've gotten completely obsessed by okra over the past year. It's not the easiest thing to find up here in new england, but they have frozen cut-piece okra in the more, um, urban grocery store. However over-cooked okra is terrible, and the frozen stuff has been blanched so it's already half cooked. So I work with it by putting it in at the end. Then I kept like half the bell pepper to do the same because I like that a little firmer as well.

It's a bit more hassle, but I find it's a good way to get a lot more vegetables into the dish without the whole thing turning to mush. I'm making a lot of my louisiana recipes with about twice the "traditional" quantity of vegetables, and if you do that following the standard methods you get a soup of overcooked veg.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

One thing I've been experimenting with over the past year for things like jambalaya & creoles is reserving some of the veggie ingredients and sauteing them separately to throw in at the very end.

I started doing that because I've gotten completely obsessed by okra over the past year. It's not the easiest thing to find up here in new england, but they have frozen cut-piece okra in the more, um, urban grocery store. However over-cooked okra is terrible, and the frozen stuff has been blanched so it's already half cooked. So I work with it by putting it in at the end. Then I kept like half the bell pepper to do the same because I like that a little firmer as well.

It's a bit more hassle, but I find it's a good way to get a lot more vegetables into the dish without the whole thing turning to mush. I'm making a lot of my louisiana recipes with about twice the "traditional" quantity of vegetables, and if you do that following the standard methods you get a soup of overcooked veg.

Are you using Okra in other stuff besides gumbo? It's really all I've used it in (except for battering and frying it as a side dish). I live in the Boston area and end up getting the chopped frozen okra from Market Basket. Works fine for a gumbo at least.

Fo3 posted:

Delicious

Sounds good! By the way I added your no-meat redbeans recipe to one of the OP sections.

I've been trying to go back and add a few things to the OP through the course of the thread (like Phil's New Orleans restaurant suggestions and spice mix recipe) as well as other things when I can find it.

Is there anything else yall think should be in the OP / things that might be worth tracking down a few recipes for?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Works posted:

Are you using Okra in other stuff besides gumbo? It's really all I've used it in (except for battering and frying it as a side dish). I live in the Boston area and end up getting the chopped frozen okra from Market Basket. Works fine for a gumbo at least.
Yeah I'm putting it in stuff like jamabalaya and chicken creole / miscellaneous improv creole. It goes really well with chicken and smoked sausage flavors. Jambalaya is a bit tricky if you have a perfect moisture consistency in mind, because adding more vegetables at the end is also introducing more water. So I guess you have to either aim on the dry side to start or just be happy with a slightly moist jambalaya.

I put the okra straight from the freezer into a nice hot pan -- that way it gets a bit of fried flavor on the outside by the time it's unfrozen, without overcooking it. Same deal for some non-new orleans stuff, like indian curries and this really awesome Caribbean sweet potato stew (add a little coconut milk to that recipe, really pulls it together).

Gumbo is actually my least frequent thing to make because I rarely have a bird carcass to start it with. Yeah I know you can do a gumbo with boxed stock but it's not the same, I can't make gumbo without a real stock and all the extra bits of bird meat that cook off the bones.

I don't do fried okra myself for two reasons. First, I don't deep fry stuff at home ever. Too much hassle, and I'd rather save the unhealthy stuff to enjoy when I go out to eat. Second I'm the laziest cook ever and side dishes more complicated than a salad are :effort:. That's one of the reasons I came up with this method, I wanted to put a full portion of veg into a one-pot meal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Klyith posted:

I don't do fried okra myself for two reasons. First, I don't deep fry stuff at home ever. Too much hassle, and I'd rather save the unhealthy stuff to enjoy when I go out to eat. Second I'm the laziest cook ever and side dishes more complicated than a salad are :effort:. That's one of the reasons I came up with this method, I wanted to put a full portion of veg into a one-pot meal.
You really don't need to deep-fry okra; you only need maybe 1/4" of oil in the pan. By the time you're done, the dredge has probably soaked up most of it anyway, so cleanup involves a few paper towels and a rinse.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Klyith posted:

Good idea. I do this sometimes with chinese stirfrys. Saving some vegetables and especially nuts for a crispy topping. Ideally with a high heat source I wouldn't have to as they would stay crispy, but I have only a low heat sauce and it's a battle to cook things fast and quick like you're supposed too in a wok and a high heat source.
It would be great to have some crispy garnish on top of a gumbo or jambalaya. I do this all the time for asian dishes, but I'm a bit of a newbie in cajun/creole so have only done the basics so far.
Add some saved chicken skins, baked or fried until crispy, with the veg at the end would work if you bought whole chickens or skin on cuts.
I didn't have and chicken skin in my last cook as it was 300g I saved from a 800g skinless chicken breasts my partner bought on sale for a asparagus, mustard and cream chicken pie.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 8, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Can anybody explain what the holy trinity is to me? From the OP it just sounds like three random vegetables thrown together, since apparently everything can be substituted for anything..?

Bell peppers are kinda spendy but I have a bunch of carrots and jalapenos and garlic and onions, as well as celery. I was thinking of going 1 part carrots, one part bell peppers and some de-seeded jalapenos, and 1 part of onion and garlic. Or is that an abomination?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Trinity is a base of flavors obtained with bell peppers, celery, and onions. Its a modified mirepoix, the French mix of carrots, celery, and onions. There are similar aromatic mixes at the bottom of most cuisines (many Asian foods use garlic, ginger, and green onions). Yes you can substitute but you will end up with something different, sometimes missing a very important flavor element.

What you are talking about will be fine. The onion, celery, and bell pepper are there. It will taste a little different from the carrot but in a gumbo I doubt you will notice that much.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Can anybody explain what the holy trinity is to me? From the OP it just sounds like three random vegetables thrown together, since apparently everything can be substituted for anything..?

Bell peppers are kinda spendy but I have a bunch of carrots and jalapenos and garlic and onions, as well as celery. I was thinking of going 1 part carrots, one part bell peppers and some de-seeded jalapenos, and 1 part of onion and garlic. Or is that an abomination?

The Holy Trinity is Onions, bell peppers, celery. People will sometimes denote between a trinity and a holy trinity by the presence of garlic. Bell peppers aren't really that costly and during warmer months grow quite easily in a small garden.

There is noting stopping you from substituting and mixing and matching depending on the dish. I do it all the time when I'm wanting to use up old food or feeling like mixing traditions. My most common mixing is Italian seasonings into my dishes.

Edit: If you are looking to save money, I recommend buying produce when its cheap and freezing it. For most of you cooking needs, it won't matter.

That Works posted:

I've left bell peppers out before when I went to grab some to find they turned bad or whatever. It won't ruin a dish, just make it different. I sub in Italian sweet peppers too when my garden has a lot of them and they work nicely.

I would bet if you live in an area with a large Hispanic population, you can probably get some of the milder Mexican peppers for a cheap substitute.

HFX fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 9, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I've left bell peppers out before when I went to grab some to find they turned bad or whatever. It won't ruin a dish, just make it different. I sub in Italian sweet peppers too when my garden has a lot of them and they work nicely.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks for the replies, I'm not too worried but the post about the trinity in the OP is kind of confusing, it goes all over the palce mentioning 6 or 7 different potential ingredients, and talks about subbing some that are drastically different than others. My main concern is the jalapenos overdoing the spice but they're mostly pretty mild, I took a bite out of a couple and they were sweet.

HFX posted:

The Holy Trinity is Onions, bell peppers, celery. People will sometimes denote between a trinity and a holy trinity by the presence of garlic. Bell peppers aren't really that costly and during warmer months grow quite easily in a small garden.
Your entire post is unnecessary, unhelpful, and condescending. I don't give a gently caress what you think is a reasonable price for something and I don't give a drat that freezing it months ago would have been good right now - I don't have the freezer space in any case.

If you want to tell me about growing a garden check out the thread in DIY, you'll see my garden, and know it's out of season.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Thanks for the replies, I'm not too worried but the post about the trinity in the OP is kind of confusing, it goes all over the palce mentioning 6 or 7 different potential ingredients, and talks about subbing some that are drastically different than others.

I'll go back and take a look at this and maybe clean it up some.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I went back and the only confusing part is that you say "Cajun dishes especially use this bastardized mirepoix replacing Carrots for Bell Pepper along with Celery and Onions" which seems to imply that the carrots replace the bell pepper when you meant the opposite.

Then you talk about some recipes adding other stuff in addition to the trinity, which seems clear to me but perhaps it could be worded differently?

Coyote the biggest issue with your question is you use "parts" and so I have no idea what you mean by "one part bell pepper and jalapeņo." How many jalapeņos and how many bell peppers?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I went back and the only confusing part is that you say "Cajun dishes especially use this bastardized mirepoix replacing Carrots for Bell Pepper along with Celery and Onions" which seems to imply that the carrots replace the bell pepper when you meant the opposite.

Then you talk about some recipes adding other stuff in addition to the trinity, which seems clear to me but perhaps it could be worded differently?

Coyote the biggest issue with your question is you use "parts" and so I have no idea what you mean by "one part bell pepper and jalapeņo." How many jalapeņos and how many bell peppers?

Thanks for taking a look, was gonna get to it later when work dies down and see if it needs to be more clear or not.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Your entire post is unnecessary, unhelpful, and condescending. I don't give a gently caress what you think is a reasonable price for something and I don't give a drat that freezing it months ago would have been good right now - I don't have the freezer space in any case.

If you want to tell me about growing a garden check out the thread in DIY, you'll see my garden, and know it's out of season.

Thanks for constructive criticism!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I once got a little experimental in the kitchen and decided to make a Chili with a dark roux exactly like I would for Gumbo. Instead of the normal Trinity, I used onion and a mixture of jalapeņo, habanero, and Serrano peppers. The Chili ended up being pretty good but I'm not sure it'd be a flavor profile I'd want in a gumbo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I thought about doing a Cajun turkey stuffing with green bell peppers added to the standard celery and onions, plus uncooked andouille sausage, oysters and/or shrimp, and some sort of liquor mixed in (maybe Jack Daniel's). But I'm not gonna be able to cook anything this Thanksgiving, and I have no idea how to proportion all the ingredients, so maybe you guys can do something with this idea. Let me know how it goes. :smith:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 26, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

coyo7e posted:

His post was not unnecessary, unhelpful or condescending. Step away from the keyboard if you think so with your fucks and damns. :drat:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm thinking about taking another crack at the gumbo sometime soon. I used "seafood stock" (:shrug:) instead of chicken stock in my first attempt, and I wasn't too enthused with the results. Not entirely sure why. It came out okay, I just wasn't thrilled with it.

I'll be using chicken stock this time around.

I was wondering if there's any particular reason to use green bell pepper instead of red, or some other color? I like the way red bell peppers smell and taste.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm thinking about taking another crack at the gumbo sometime soon. I used "seafood stock" (:shrug:) instead of chicken stock in my first attempt, and I wasn't too enthused with the results. Not entirely sure why. It came out okay, I just wasn't thrilled with it.

I'll be using chicken stock this time around.

I was wondering if there's any particular reason to use green bell pepper instead of red, or some other color? I like the way red bell peppers smell and taste.

I've used either of them as I had available. Green is more "typical" but its gumbo man you can just throw anything in there after getting the essential base done.

In all cases, making your own stock is going to greatly improve the quality of the dish.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

why did you ask the question if you didn't like the answer?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Use red if you want!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works posted:

I've used either of them as I had available. Green is more "typical" but its gumbo man you can just throw anything in there after getting the essential base done.

In all cases, making your own stock is going to greatly improve the quality of the dish.

I don't know how to make my own stock. And I'm scared it involves me spending extra money on food I'm only going to use for the stock, but not put into the finished meal. :smith:

Otherwise, I'd make gumbo with homemade shrimp stock.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Buy a whole chicken, some onions, carrots, some garlic, some celery, some bell peppers. Butcher the chicken but keep the carcass. Boom, you have what you need to make chicken stock, and you can use the meat in your gumbo.

This is meant to be a cheap but hearty meal.

Making stock is literally covering everything with water and letting it simmer unsupervised for a couple hours, then straining. At its base, that's what it is.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Buy a whole chicken, some onions, carrots, some garlic, some celery, some bell peppers. Butcher the chicken but keep the carcass. Boom, you have what you need to make chicken stock, and you can use the meat in your gumbo.

This is meant to be a cheap but hearty meal.

Making stock is literally covering everything with water and letting it simmer unsupervised for a couple hours, then straining. At its base, that's what it is.

That sounds easy enough. I can do that with frozen bagged peeled shrimp before adding it to gumbo, right? Or does it need to be fresh shrimp? Or do I have to get the shrimp with the shells? Cuz I have 6 lbs of frozen peeled tail-free shrimp and 2 lbs of frozen whole crawfish, but no shrimp with shells on. I can probably do something with the frozen crawfish though.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 15, 2015

holttho
May 21, 2007

The question would ultimately be what level are you trying to achieve and who your audience is. Quality frozen shrimp is exceptional, (ALL decapod seafood is frozen as it arrives to your market, it is impossible to have it any other way unless it is still alive. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.) and the shells and head contribute a bunch of complex flavors, but are by no means required. If you're putting something together for the Paul Prudhomme Cajun/Creole Authenticity Committee, then you might not score high with something that wasn't fresh. But if you are putting together a good meal for a good time with friends, then you will be amazed at how well good frozen options can be. I live in Chicago and have pretty slim choices on fresh non-lobster shellfish year-round. But a good eye** for frozen stuff and you'll be on your way to greatness.

A lot of people want (for whatever reason) to make folks thing that 'frozen' and 'fresh' are opposites on a scale. Not by a long shot. Maybe in 1941 when it took four hundred hours to freeze a bunch of carrots which were then left in a shipping container for nineteen months would quality suffer, but nowadays with IQF stuff going from literally in-the-ground to being cryogenically rock solid in less than an hour, quality and flavor are preserved to an astounding level.

As for stock making, it is wonderfully forgiving. Just toss in whatever healthy scraps you got from your vegetables, any bones, skin, uglies, or carcass from your meats, a bay leaf and some pepper, and you got yourself a stew, baby. Only rule of thumb for a general use stock is to avoid any vegetables that have the word "green' in them. Green peppers, green peas, green lettuce, anything like that; they will utterly dominate the flavor of the stock. And not the way you want. Onion/carrot/celery butts, mushroom stems, all the parts that 'meh, I'd rather not eat' are wonderful in the stock pot. All those chicken neck bones that you'd never eat, but are flavorful and nutritious and $0.29/lb are PERFECT. Toss 'em all in some cold water and bring up to a simmer for a low, lazy afternoon. Don't add salt, as you may need it reduced at a later time and you'd just end up with a salt lick. You can just add salt after reducing.

**When looking for frozen anything, the biggest thing to look for is that each 'thing' is an individual piece. Not a brick or frozen lump. 'Lumpitude' clearly indicates that the product has been thawed and then re-frozen which will have a definite loss in quality. Next time you are in the grocery store, pick up a bag of frozen baby peas. Notice they are all single individuals. That's because they were frozen as individuals, then packaged together. Shrimp is no different than peas.

Of course, if there is freezer burn or weird discoloration, they are immediately rejected. Something they say about fishmongers is that if they are good, they'll let you smell the product. That is true of a fishmonger, but rarely of a mega-mart meat counter minimum wage guy. Try it if you like, but the above will likely serve you the most and the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

That sounds easy enough. I can do that with frozen bagged peeled shrimp before adding it to gumbo, right? Or does it need to be fresh shrimp? Or do I have to get the shrimp with the shells? Cuz I have 6 lbs of frozen peeled tail-free shrimp and 2 lbs of frozen whole crawfish, but no shrimp with shells on. I can probably do something with the frozen crawfish though.

Unfortunately, you will ruin the tails and have mostly a vegetable stock instead of a seafood stock if you tried to use the shrimp. Now, your crawfish are much more promising. Separate the head from the tails and peel the tails. Set aside the raw tails for your gumbo or save them for a future dish. Do the same procedure as the above chicken stock replacing the chicken carcass with the shells (heads and tail section).

I like to add a little seafood boil to my stock if I ran out of shells from my last boil. This is to simulate the reusing of the left overs of other meals. Just a dash or 2, as you just want that hint. However, some people think it ruins the stock, so feel free to skip.

HFX fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 15, 2015