Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Spalec posted:

Has anyone got any tips for attacking FOBs? There are so many guards I always get spotted really quickly before dying in a hail of bullet hell gunfire.

can't spot things if they're dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Spalec posted:

Has anyone got any tips for attacking FOBs? There are so many guards I always get spotted really quickly before dying in a hail of bullet hell gunfire.

In general wear the Squares camo and crawl everywhere but watch out for wall cameras before you go crawlin' in there; you crawl too slow to escape their electric eyes

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Monkey Fracas posted:

In general wear the Squares camo and crawl everywhere but watch out for wall cameras before you go crawlin' in there; you crawl too slow to escape their electric eyes

Cameras (and UAVs) don't give two shits about boxes. If they see you, you can throw a box on and wait for them to look away.

Don't forget to roll to the side while crawling in order to cover ground more quickly!

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like you can kinda faintly hear The Truck coming and it's like "Oh goddammit not now"

On the other hand if you can intercept The Truck away from a camp/base it's basically totally helpless. Shoot at it once with a silenced lethal weapon and the truck will stop, both guys will get out and be conveniently out of line of sight of one another so you can take 'em out by like sprinting directly at them from the right angle if you want.

If you have a weapon with good penetration(like a sniper rifle) you can shoot the tires while the truck is moving. The truck will skid and the passengers will be stunned and you can fulton them all in one go.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am 100% sure they changed the logic/randomness of trucks showing up. When I started playing mid-September I remember having to sit at a base to wait for them to come. Now they are pretty much consistently around the area I'm playing at.

They have definitely changed the logic but now that its so common it feels like, "poo poo, not again" rather than, "oh poo poo a new variable in how I approach this mission"

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am 100% sure they changed the logic/randomness of trucks showing up. When I started playing mid-September I remember having to sit at a base to wait for them to come. Now they are pretty much consistently around the area I'm playing at.

They have definitely changed the logic but now that its so common it feels like, "poo poo, not again" rather than, "oh poo poo a new variable in how I approach this mission"

My reaction is usually:

"Sweet! More folks to kill and another truck to sell!"

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I usually use it as another rolling distraction. If it is not near me or not headed in my direction, I shoot the windshield and then keep sneaking in the other direction while guards near it are panicking.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I usually use it as another rolling distraction. If it is not near me or not headed in my direction, I shoot the windshield and then keep sneaking in the other direction while guards near it are panicking.

Usually I can do that while the truck is still far enough away. So the truck guys are losing their poo poo while the outpost guards are standing around shifting their nutsacks 40m away and in LOS.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm building a nuke to see how long my security can hold off the slavering hordes before someone takes it.

Probably not long as I've found it's pretty easy to get to the nukes and take them even on like max-everything Level 7 bullshit Long Range 4-strut command

I asked this before but where are nukes they have how do you take them? Sorry, haven't been able to figure it out when I raid a fob with nukes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

I'm not very creative. Also it occurred to me that I'm missing quite a few emblems (the two-tone ones, unfortunately :( )

Where do you unlock most of the background shapes (chevron, square, triangle, etc)? I know animals correlate to codenames. Its hard to keep track of all the guard posts I HAVENT captured yet. Similarly there's one last shipping manifest I need but for the life of me I don't know where it is in Africa.

Shapes are almost all related to 100%ing mission objectives.

If you really want help: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=517343415

As for shipping manifests, the only named spot in Africa that doesn't have one is the Industrial zone. Just try shipping yourself the next time you're there and see if you can find the missing one.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 6, 2015

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

As for shipping manifests, the only named spot in Africa that doesn't have one is the Industrial zone. Just try shipping yourself the next time you're there and see if you can find the missing one.

You can also just look on your regular iDroid map and see if the delivery location is identified. If not, you need that location.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 6, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ambivalent posted:

I asked this before but where are nukes they have how do you take them? Sorry, haven't been able to figure it out when I raid a fob with nukes.

If a player has nukes they will have both a nuclear symbol by their profile and how many nukes they have under the materials list for the platform.

They are always on the ground floor of the last strut of the Command Platform and you fulton/wormhole them out just like a container.

Also a note: even if a player shows up in the "nuclear equipped targets" FOB Invasion tab they do not actually have nukes unless you see the symbol/count of the nukes.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches

Hobo By Design posted:

My emblem isn't funny, but it fits my steam name Colloidal Silver. We're running a business, brand synergy is important!

Man, wait til you unlock Naked Silver Snake

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the deal with this virtual FOB scoring system that gives you victory points against NPC versions of players?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is the deal with this virtual FOB scoring system that gives you victory points against NPC versions of players?

Each week, players from the same PF Rank are sorted into a group of sixteen. Throughout the week, your FOB is matched against another player's FOB who is in the group. Your Combat Team (Offense) is matched against their Security Team (Defense) and then vice-versa. It is basically a crapshoot whether you win or lose because you can be much stronger than the other player and still lose the encounter. If you win, you gain "Victory points". The players with the highest number of Victory points in the group at the end of the week will get moved up a PF Rank. In addition, victory points are converted at an extremely poor rate into "PF points", which you can exchange for expensive and ultimately not worth it prizes like staff and resources.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 7, 2015

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008
I've got the level 4 star stun arm ( the third one you can develop ). I keep seeing videos of people using it to call down lightning and knock out tons of guards but when I use it it only seems to do the same crappy short range stun it's always done. I've tried charging it up longer but nothing else happens. Is there something I'm missing?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Rinaldi posted:

I've got the level 4 star stun arm ( the third one you can develop ). I keep seeing videos of people using it to call down lightning and knock out tons of guards but when I use it it only seems to do the same crappy short range stun it's always done. I've tried charging it up longer but nothing else happens. Is there something I'm missing?

You have to charge it for about 15 seconds before the hand becomes pointy. You can shoot it then. Just make sure you're within 30-40 meters of your targets.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Terra-da-loo! posted:

501 hour (Holy gently caress that is legitimately depressing to really think about. Could have done something productive with that roughly 21 days :smith:) playtime.

That's 21 full days. If you count 8 hours of sleep per day, its a full month.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

You have to charge it for about 15 seconds before the hand becomes pointy. You can shoot it then. Just make sure you're within 30-40 meters of your targets.

Holy crap that's awesome.

Animax
Nov 7, 2015

Rinaldi posted:

Holy crap that's awesome.

I've always wanted to yell: Kneel before me peasants! When i use that thing. I think im gonna go do that right now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

In It For The Tank posted:

Each week, players from the same PF Rank are sorted into a group of sixteen. Throughout the week, your FOB is matched against another player's FOB who is in the group. Your Combat Team (Offense) is matched against their Security Team (Defense) and then vice-versa. It is basically a crapshoot whether you win or lose because you can be much stronger than the other player and still lose the encounter. If you win, you gain "Victory points". The players with the highest number of Victory points in the group at the end of the week will get moved up a PF Rank. In addition, victory points are converted at an extremely poor rate into "PF points", which you can exchange for expensive and ultimately not worth it prizes like staff and resources.
Is the PF rank independent of your FOB invasions? Where can I look this and FOB stuff up?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I like how nukes aren't even elevated. As soon as you reach the core strut, it's just laying there out in the open just begging to be snatched. The things should really be stashed right by the core so you have to do the actually difficult part of the invasion to get to them. Getting to the core strut is never the hard part; it's surviving the total clusterfuck of a gazillion lines of fire you have to subject yourself to on most platform types to reach the core proper.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
When you charge your stun arm, just look at its icon on the bottom right and you'll see 3 bars being filled as you charge. When it charges all 3 bars, your rotating hand will go from a fist into all fingers pointing up and you can just press fire to unleash it.

This literally captures a bunch of outposts in one move if you can sneak into the middle of everything. Also a very convenient move for completing mission tasks or S ranking missions. I think enemies inside buildings will go unscathed though, unless someone can confirm otherwise. I'm also unsure if there's a cooldown time between uses because I usually don't use it more than once per deployment.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Willsun posted:

When you charge your stun arm, just look at its icon on the bottom right and you'll see 3 bars being filled as you charge. When it charges all 3 bars, your rotating hand will go from a fist into all fingers pointing up and you can just press fire to unleash it.

This literally captures a bunch of outposts in one move if you can sneak into the middle of everything. Also a very convenient move for completing mission tasks or S ranking missions. I think enemies inside buildings will go unscathed though, unless someone can confirm otherwise. I'm also unsure if there's a cooldown time between uses because I usually don't use it more than once per deployment.

It hits EVERYTHING around you in a 45m radius. You can cinch so many missions like this (Code Talker and War Economy come to mind) because you can just sneak to the center, charge up, and zap the whole base in one go. It uses up all the battery in one go (except sometimes it... doesn't) so you have to wait for it to fully recharge to use it again.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

How is it on sound produced? I've never even tried it.

So many toys I haven't touched in this game. :(

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah like everyone said you get an EMBLEM part for an S-Rank and another for all objectives in a mission

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Toadsmash posted:

How is it on sound produced? I've never even tried it.

So many toys I haven't touched in this game. :(

Nobody hears it but it makes you more visible. So just hide behind something while charging.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is the PF rank independent of your FOB invasions? Where can I look this and FOB stuff up?

Yes, basically. Espionage Rank is affected by FOB invasions. The tutorial pages in the iDroid menu can give you some insight but a lot comes from just observing the game.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Is it a sign that you're a total bad rear end at FOB infiltration when it gets to where you accidentally commit suicide more than you are killed by enemies?

'Cause that'd be my mark of excellence, regardless.

And totally not because it's happened to me three times in a row, now. Not a great game to play drunk, but it hasn't stopped me.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

My number one killer during invasions is falling off a ledge and missing hitting the button in time to grab the one underneath and plunging to my death, usually when I'm trying to run like hell after a combat alert. I'm a bit baffled why they don't just make that automatic to start with. :argh:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Animax posted:

I've always wanted to yell: Kneel before me peasants! When i use that thing. I think im gonna go do that right now.

Do you sound like Tom Hiddleston IRL?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Toadsmash posted:

My number one killer during invasions is falling off a ledge and missing hitting the button in time to grab the one underneath and plunging to my death, usually when I'm trying to run like hell after a combat alert. I'm a bit baffled why they don't just make that automatic to start with. :argh:

Yep, same here, now. That or miscalculating the area below me's position by what would have to be inches. Murderous inches.

EDIT: With all that in mind and ignoring the game's reveal, I'd like to know how Big Naked Snake Boss forgot how to so much as tread water since Operation: Snake Eater.

Even w/ the reveal in mind, Medic was supposed to be MSF's best soldier or whatever, right? Look, all I'm saying is that newborns can swim.

Edit 2: Provided the thought occurred to you, please save yourself the time explaining water tension and gravity.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

It hits EVERYTHING around you in a 45m radius. You can cinch so many missions like this (Code Talker and War Economy come to mind) because you can just sneak to the center, charge up, and zap the whole base in one go. It uses up all the battery in one go (except sometimes it... doesn't) so you have to wait for it to fully recharge to use it again.

Does it go through walls, too?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Ignore me.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Toadsmash posted:

It's got to be like a couple hundred feet from even the lowest hanging catwalks to the water surface at least. He's probably breaking most of the bones in his body from the impact shock.
Yeah, I know. You said that before you could read my edit, too, so it's coo'.

Genocyber posted:

Phantoms.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Yes. It also seems to extend infinitely upwards, which is great on FOBs (although the radius is more like 20m instead of 45m on FOBs). It's hilariously overpowered and I actually prefer it over the Rocket Arm for close-quarters bases.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I vaguely remember hearing that mother base itself was supposed to have much deeper mechanics before the pachinko gods forced them to start cutting stuff out- did Kojima or anyone on his team ever go into what the heck they were planning?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Kaz wasn't overly concerned with personnel safety when he was coming up with Mother Base. OSHA would have a field day!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That's one reason why I found The idea of the kids threatening to revolt so funny- Kaz has already established that he will throw your rear end off the platform into the sea for no reason at all. Why on earth would you possibly want to threaten this person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Omi no Kami posted:

I vaguely remember hearing that mother base itself was supposed to have much deeper mechanics before the pachinko gods forced them to start cutting stuff out- did Kojima or anyone on his team ever go into what the heck they were planning?

I think some of the early FOB trailers implied that you would be able to do stuff like choose exactly where turrets, mines, cameras and/or soldiers go

• Locked thread