Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

FronzelNeekburm posted:

With the right fuel scoop, an Asp can tank up just by flying over a star while waiting for your frameshift drive to cool down.
Mucking around on shipyard I rolled this - kind of works for an insane happy medium between decent cargo and fuel.

[Asp]

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 2A Power Plant
TM: 5A Thrusters
FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 4D Life Support
PC: 4D Power Distributor
SS: 5D Sensors
FS: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)

6: 6E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 64)
5: 5E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 32)
3: 3C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 8)
2: 2A Fuel Scoop
2: 2C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 4)

Makes Sol to Robigo in 16 jumps on one tank and then get up to about 18 jumps before refuling.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The tradeoff with a big fuel tank and lots of cargo is that your jump range is going to drop dramatically. It might be worth the time not stopping to refuel, or it might not.

Also, you can take the biggest fuel scoop you can afford, since they are weightless. Assuming you have a few million spacebux burning a hole in your pocket, of course.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Libluini posted:

Nope, the reason is it makes it easier for new players to play the game, since they can just buy the newest expansion and have access to all the other ones before that, without requiring more money or learning a long list of expansions and how to install them in order.

You realize that the entire reason for me posting about it was because it was costing a newbie more money, in this very thread, not 5 posts up from mine, right?

It would be fine if there wasn't this deadspace before Horizons is released and people just got access to the base game by preordering. It would still be as bad of a deal for the people who already own the base game, but they wouldn't be specifically screwing over new players who weren't fully informed and wanted to play the game in the lead-up to horizons. And in any case everyone is going to be running the same version of the game, there would be no "learning how to install a long list of expansions" because it's all just digital keys to content that will be in everyone's games.

I get the point you are trying to make, but they chose a very inelegant solution, even if they weren't just trying to get more money from the existing playerbase.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Libluini posted:

Or he is one of those weirdos with a cheap joystick, so he has to bind at least some keys to the keyboard. :v:

I was wondering what other joystick I should get. I have a logitech 3d pro now. I do have stuff bound to my keyboard.

Also I entered my first CZ and went from 0% harmless to 64% harmless in 10 minutes. :toot:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
That's good, most new pilots go from alive to dead in less than 10 mins in their first CZ.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

I was wondering what other joystick I should get. I have a logitech 3d pro now. I do have stuff bound to my keyboard.

Also I entered my first CZ and went from 0% harmless to 64% harmless in 10 minutes. :toot:

I'm using the practically ancient Logitech Attack 3. Mostly because I like the way it looks and how the buttons are laid out. 11 buttons + throttle aren't enough though, so I needed to keybind a lot of stuff to my keyboard.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

DarthBlingBling posted:

That's good, most new pilots go from alive to dead in less than 10 mins in their first CZ.

Oh I did that too. The first CZ was low and I did fine until there was no one left to fight then the second was the high intensity and I died pretty quick.
I was a little confused by the combatants. They were the Feds and the system security when I thought it was going to be the Cartel vs whomever the other dudes were.

e: Aw crap, was I supposed to get combat bonds before I fought for stuff?

Pogue Ma Hoon fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 7, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

I'm so sorry you are stuck using a keyboard and just assume everyone else is too.

Libluini posted:

Or he is one of those weirdos with a cheap joystick, so he has to bind at least some keys to the keyboard. :v:

You guys are going to make my cheap Logitech/Keyboard setup cry.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You're supposed to pick a side before you start shooting.

To be fair this is not an obvious thing to do and the menu is hidden away somewhere most wouldn't know about.

Right hand panel > Far right tab > Factions > pick the side you wish to fight for.

Should make that the OP for the 1.5 thread.

I also find low intensity much harder than high as with the low there is more chance that multiple enemies will target you and start railing you to death.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

Oh I did that too. The first CZ was low and I did fine until there was no one left to fight then the second was the high intensity and I died pretty quick.
I was a little confused by the combatants. They were the Feds and the system security when I thought it was going to be the Cartel vs whomever the other dudes were.

e: Aw crap, was I supposed to get combat bonds before I fought for stuff?

A Combat Bond is a reward for killing mans in a Combat Zone - you go back to a station to redeem them for money. Each time you kill a guy, the combat bond value of the ship is added to a line in your transactions list. You can do all of that without specifically picking a side in a combat zone, but you should pick a side, as detailed above, so friendlies are marked green and enemies are marked red.

On top of all that, if you are doing a combat zone-related mission (kill x dudes in a a CZ) or CG (like the one happening in Cayutorme), then you should pick that mission up first. But you only have to do that once.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Wait, you can get a bond without picking a side?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Joystick/keyboard chat:

I have an old Saitek X52 Pro but willingly prefer M+KB, you have no power over my depravity.
(at least until I get head tracking going)

Also I thought I understood the arcane Horizons purchase nonsense but it seems not entirely. So if you do not own Elite: Dangerous, you can still get the Cobra Mk IV if you preorder Horizons? I have a friend waiting to buy it on release but this may change their mind.

Sard fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 7, 2015

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

DarthBlingBling posted:

You're supposed to pick a side before you start shooting.

To be fair this is not an obvious thing to do and the menu is hidden away somewhere most wouldn't know about.

Right hand panel > Far right tab > Factions > pick the side you wish to fight for.

Should make that the OP for the 1.5 thread.

I also find low intensity much harder than high as with the low there is more chance that multiple enemies will target you and start railing you to death.

Crap. Oh well now I know.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

AndroidHub posted:

You realize that the entire reason for me posting about it was because it was costing a newbie more money, in this very thread, not 5 posts up from mine, right?

It would be fine if there wasn't this deadspace before Horizons is released and people just got access to the base game by preordering. It would still be as bad of a deal for the people who already own the base game, but they wouldn't be specifically screwing over new players who weren't fully informed and wanted to play the game in the lead-up to horizons. And in any case everyone is going to be running the same version of the game, there would be no "learning how to install a long list of expansions" because it's all just digital keys to content that will be in everyone's games.

I get the point you are trying to make, but they chose a very inelegant solution, even if they weren't just trying to get more money from the existing playerbase.

I just came from sc soooooo this is cheap lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

Wait, you can get a bond without picking a side?

With the added bonus of sometimes shooting the wrong side and getting hosed over by both sides, apparently.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Libluini posted:

With the added bonus of sometimes shooting the wrong side and getting hosed over by both sides, apparently.

Luckly the Diamond Frog policy is to "shoot them all and let the combat bond officer figure it out"

No seriously fighting both sides of a war simultaneously and winning and then getting paid from both sides sounds like a fun challenge for a full wing!

Sard
May 11, 2012

Anyone that's interested in ranking up for the Corvette and Cutter ought to have a look at this reddit post. If the testimonials in there are to be believed, this is a lot faster and obviously less boring than grinding donations. I'll be giving it a spin soon, or after the current CG ends at most. I mean it's not some big one-weird-trick revelation- "do missions, get paid and rank up-" but I didn't know it could be this fast.

Sard fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 7, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
That gimmick Robigo Asp Run build works pretty neatly. You get there with a little fuel to spare and at worst have to chill by a few stars on the way back till you make up the difference in fuel.

The main danger is you're 96 tons of tasty cargo so any fuel stops carry the risk of having your ship intercepted (oh god fix this :frontear:) and having to do the FSD recharge dance amonst the lasers before moving on.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

WebDog posted:

That gimmick Robigo Asp Run build works pretty neatly. You get there with a little fuel to spare and at worst have to chill by a few stars on the way back till you make up the difference in fuel.

The main danger is you're 96 tons of tasty cargo so any fuel stops carry the risk of having your ship intercepted (oh god fix this :frontear:) and having to do the FSD recharge dance amonst the lasers before moving on.

I like to just manually drop out of fsd when I get the interception messages. By the time they drop out, I’m already halfway through my cooldown.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I like to shoot them until they explode.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WebDog posted:

"Risk vs reward" :smug:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Sard posted:

Anyone that's interested in ranking up for the Corvette and Cutter ought to have a look at this reddit post. If the testimonials in there are to be believed, this is a lot faster and obviously less boring than grinding donations. I'll be giving it a spin soon, or after the current CG ends at most. I mean it's not some big one-weird-trick revelation- "do missions, get paid and rank up-" but I didn't know it could be this fast.

Yeh we have discussed stacking kill missions before. Should probably get on this before its "fixed"

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Being interdicted is an inconvenience at best it's hardly ever a danger. Since submitting avoids the emergency drop recharge timer it someone doesn't want to be caught they won't. If you run chaff on the Robigo asp you don't even ever take real dents to your shields. It's annoying but I wouldnt call it a risk.

Lunch! Finally! fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 8, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Also I feel like I should mention that "high-waking" (jumping to another system) ignores mass lock effects from other ships.

Edit: this is especially nifty if you get interdicted by player pirates

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Or as player pirates call it, high-wanking :argh:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
This game is weird at times.
I took a 100k smuggling mission and made it into the hub without even being scanned.
Next mission 16k "pick up a blackbox". In the system I had to go to, I got Interdicted literally 7 times within 10 minutes by cops scanning me because they "had been tipped of", one waiting in front of my salvage. Waited off him to bugger of, grabbed it and jumped.
In the delivery system I got interdicted again, by a guy in a Viper who shot me down to 30 percent before I could jump away (I fly my newbie cobra and am "harmless" and "dealer")

What determines how strong an enemy is? I stand 0 chance against anyone interdicting me...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hopper posted:

This game is weird at times.
I took a 100k smuggling mission and made it into the hub without even being scanned.
Next mission 16k "pick up a blackbox". In the system I had to go to, I got Interdicted literally 7 times within 10 minutes by cops scanning me because they "had been tipped of", one waiting in front of my salvage. Waited off him to bugger of, grabbed it and jumped.
In the delivery system I got interdicted again, by a guy in a Viper who shot me down to 30 percent before I could jump away (I fly my newbie cobra and am "harmless" and "dealer")

What determines how strong an enemy is? I stand 0 chance against anyone interdicting me...

The black box missions (and any of the USS look for salvage ones as well) always spawn a cop meant to chase you down. Even in an anarchy, cop-less system you will get interdicted by a the space police. If you let this anarchy cop scan you they say everything is fine and then fly away. Nothing is illegal in anarchy systems thus there are no laws and no illegal anything let alone black boxes. It's :frontear: as gently caress.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

KakerMix posted:

The black box missions (and any of the USS look for salvage ones as well) always spawn a cop meant to chase you down. Even in an anarchy, cop-less system you will get interdicted by a the space police. If you let this anarchy cop scan you they say everything is fine and then fly away. Nothing is illegal in anarchy systems thus there are no laws and no illegal anything let alone black boxes. It's :frontear: as gently caress.

The best is if you have active missions and go on a long exploration journey.

Those fuckers are still there 5000LY chasing after you.

1.5 is supposed to have mission improvements. That and the new ships have me more excited than rovers.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Ruining cops is the same fine as ruining civvies, right?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Who even cares about fines? Waste of money to pay em!

(unless you care about faction rep and you were caught with your pants down running Sothis smugglebus loads of cargo)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Mr Darcy posted:

You got a source for that?

Asking as I work for an airline and I've never heard that term, we just call them pax or *gasp* passengers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22self-loading+cargo%22+site%3Apprune.org&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i2nVHOKl5M

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

How does that work now that salvage missions give you a licence to legally salvage the stuff they're looking for?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

How does that work now that salvage missions give you a licence to legally salvage the stuff they're looking for?

The same way. (There are still missions demanding illegal stuff. I'm guessing here legal missions won't spawn cops to pointlessly scan you.)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Got home from 3 months in the void last night, and just finished uploading the album from the journey. People who are not sick of pretty Elite screenshots yet can find it here: http://imgur.com/a/0XGPx

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Got home from 3 months in the void last night, and just finished uploading the album from the journey. People who are not sick of pretty Elite screenshots yet can find it here: http://imgur.com/a/0XGPx

That's pretty awesome man. Good job on the pictures.

Sard
May 11, 2012

This is fantastic, that's HIP 38064 right?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Sard posted:

This is fantastic, that's HIP 38064 right?

Correct. I didn't realize the star was well-known or anything. I was just panning around the galaxy map randomly, and it looked much larger than the surrounding stars, so I set a course for it.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Correct. I didn't realize the star was well-known or anything. I was just panning around the galaxy map randomly, and it looked much larger than the surrounding stars, so I set a course for it.

I don't know if it is, really, I just wanted to be sure it was the same O-class star mentioned earlier in the album so I can visit it someday. But a google search returned this from the same system and jesus. This presentation of the view you depicted would be amazing.

Sard fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Slashrat posted:

Did turning all that data in pop you straight to allied with DF?

• Locked thread