Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Buff Butler posted:

Huh. While it would be crass to suggest that that's why Destiny has gotten so much better in the past year, maybe that's why Destiny has gotten so much better in the past year.

It's much better because vanilla was hamstrung by a reboot that gave the Bungie development team less than a year to release. The gameplay in the latest expansion is fundamentally the same, just with a lot more actual content and a semi-coherent story written by writers with far less pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SunAndSpring posted:

Sounds like they keep interrupting the main story to force you to do Minecraft poo poo with your settlement.

To be fair, does anyone ever really care to stay with the Bethesda main story for long? They might as well claim their failing as a strength by time sinking on purpose instead of on accident because Shaun's fine.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Buff Butler posted:

From what I've seen in the leaked footage, shooting human opponents is a bit better because they take cover instead of doing the Gamebryo float. Nonhuman enemies still do the Gamebryo float.

Feedback to being shot is still lousy. For instance, I saw the player shoot a raider with a sawed off shotgun twice at point blank range in the midsection, and although her health went down like 70%, she didn't even flinch.

This is a problem that FO3, NV, and now FO4 have all shared. At this point I find it hard to believe that they hired some guy off of Destiny (a game that was released last year) to re-design all of the shooting from the ground up to now suddenly make it good. In fact, I find it impossible to believe that, because I've seen gameplay footage.

Yeah didnt they also transfer a guy over from ID software to help out with that? I guess its only so much you can do about designing the gunplay when the animation team cant figure out how to incorporate damage flinching in the game.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

GyverMac posted:

Yeah didnt they also transfer a guy over from ID software to help out with that? I guess its only so much you can do about designing the gunplay when the animation team cant figure out how to incorporate damage flinching in the game.

Really what I take from this is that the game probably did have a crash dev cycle spurred on by the crashing and burning of that Elder Scrolls MMO that was insanely bad and unpopular.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

To be fair, does anyone ever really care to stay with the Bethesda main story for long? They might as well claim their failing as a strength by time sinking on purpose instead of on accident because Shaun's fine.

Only time I really follow a Bethesda main story is up until the point it's unlocked whatever content it had gated (power armor in FO3, the shouts in Skyrim) though I tend to finish DLC stories which tend to be better than the vanilla game but that might just be due to length.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hot Jam posted:

It's from the 20th century. 1997.

This seems like an odd way to phrase 1997, so every couple of years they stay go in and retool the engine to work on newer platforms and hardware?

I kind of like the East Coast Brotherhood. It makes sense to me that a fighting force with dwindling man power would reach out to the locals to replace those losses and nothing really in grains a population to you like helping to bring them security.

Goddamn I would love a Fallout Seattle. I kind of hope we'll get a DLC for New York or maybe that'll be Fallout 5, unless they go do Fallout Miami.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

precision posted:

The Strip is the worst area of the game, but you really don't have to spend much time there at all. I thought it was intentional that Vegas is built up in your head as you travel there, and when you get there, it's just another little settlement with a bunch of assholes.

Yeaaa, that's sorta going to be my plan if I keep playing. The place sucks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Sounds like they keep interrupting the main story to force you to do Minecraft poo poo with your settlement.

No they don't. You get a tutorial for it and then you basically can ignore it aside from sidequests.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

gently caress Seattle, man; Chicago's where it's at. Just imagine the blues heavy soundtrack blasting while you're on the run from mob soldiers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mokinokaro posted:

Only time I really follow a Bethesda main story is up until the point it's unlocked whatever content it had gated (power armor in FO3, the shouts in Skyrim) though I tend to finish DLC stories which tend to be better than the vanilla game but that might just be due to length.

Well, now the power armor is technically given to you in the first mission.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Crabtree posted:

I didn't even really give a poo poo about the New Vegas main story for very long, and it's certainly not what I remember most fondly about the game (especially not the lovely dam sequence -- really, NV didn't have a good ending until all the DLCs came out & gave an ending to your personal character arc). The game will live or die by its world and side content. Which isn't going to be NV-caliber, but whatever, we'll see how it all goes.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Crabtree posted:

He agrees with you!

KabukiAvenger
Jul 15, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Lack of cpu cycles probably.

Looks more like outdoor shadows use an enhanced version of Skyrim's - probably for the sake of not cooking your GPU.

Indoor shadow rendering uses a combination of diffuse and volumetric lighting - you don't see as many "hard" shadows indoors, because with so many scattering surfaces, you generally wouldn't, unless there's only a small number of point or highly directional light sources. Also, looks like we now have self-shadowing of NPC's, creatures and many static objects.

Note, that in that last interior shot, the entire foreground is diffusely lit, and not being hit by any specific light source. Hence the "washed out" or "fullbright" look.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KomradeX posted:

This seems like an odd way to phrase 1997, so every couple of years they stay go in and retool the engine to work on newer platforms and hardware?

I kind of like the East Coast Brotherhood. It makes sense to me that a fighting force with dwindling man power would reach out to the locals to replace those losses and nothing really in grains a population to you like helping to bring them security.

Goddamn I would love a Fallout Seattle. I kind of hope we'll get a DLC for New York or maybe that'll be Fallout 5, unless they go do Fallout Miami.

same. I like east coast brotherhood.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Bethesda games aren't janky because of gamebryo, they're janky because it's Bethesda creating games on said engine

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

frajaq posted:

He agrees with you!

The same story you've always told with every video game, you're wasting your life having fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crabtree posted:

same, look at skyrim. Both of the main plots are pretty weak. I am just happy they arnt pulling a fallout 3 ending.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

ImpAtom posted:

No they don't. You get a tutorial for it and then you basically can ignore it aside from sidequests.

What about The Molecular Level main quest? Don't you need 30 Power and supplies to build the device?

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

So can we change the name of this thread from Fallout 4 to Borderlands 3 yet?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

dd209 posted:

I don't need to read the opinion of someone who liked Dragon Age.

*Insert smug face meme here*

First dragon age was best.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. I like east coast brotherhood.

Yeah I don't mind them as a concept. I wish they were a little more nuanced than FO3 presented them as (and going by the FO4 launch trailer, this sect seems to be.)

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
if this game's main quest has you die at the end (like fo3) then that's reason enough to never touch it

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

if this game's main quest has you die at the end (like fo3) then that's reason enough to never touch it

Good news!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Scoops posted:

So can we change the name of this thread from Fallout 4 to Borderlands 3 yet?

Bethesda hasn't made a Tiny Tina yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Bethesda hasn't made a Tiny Tina yet.

MacReady and Little Lamplight.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

:woop:

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Father Wendigo posted:

gently caress Seattle, man; Chicago's where it's at. Just imagine the blues heavy soundtrack blasting while you're on the run from mob soldiers.

It'd be even more badass if they featured some ghoulified John Hughes character cameos. You can save Ferris (get charisma bobblehead), help John Bender steal something from a school. Then take in a show from the Blues Brothers.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

nice meltdown

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Hey, they let you survive it. Eventually. If you got the DLC.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Mokinokaro posted:

The main quest in bethesda games tend to have gated content and point you towards the better side quests. I want to avoid the main story but if I do it'll probably me just running around bland dungeons hoping I find a decent side quest.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

After reading the review, I am not surprised. I don't really enjoy the story for Beth games. It's just the spelunking I enjoy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Will I be able to reenact Fist of the North Star with unarmed combat in FO4? Living out my Kenshiro role play fantasy is of great importance for whether I'll get the game or not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenBuckanneer posted:

After reading the review, I am not surprised. I don't really enjoy the story for Beth games. It's just the spelunking I enjoy.

The most fun I had in Skyrim was going around the country jumping into every hole in the ground that had an "ANCIENT RUINS BE HERE" sign on, committing genocide on skeletons, and then poking around a bunch of literal garbage and filth for items like some kind of medieval homeless cat lady.

So, same.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

precision posted:

The most fun I had in Skyrim was going around the country jumping into every hole in the ground that had an "ANCIENT RUINS BE HERE" sign on, committing genocide on skeletons, and then poking around a bunch of literal garbage and filth for items like some kind of medieval homeless cat lady.

So, same.

This is Bethesda gaming. Maybe there's a plot, but it's totally unimportant to the best hiking and homicide simulators in the gaming world.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

jfood posted:

This is Bethesda gaming. Maybe there's a plot, but it's totally unimportant to the best hiking and homicide simulators in the gaming world.

And hoarding simulator

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Hey John Fallout, do you, erm, do you really need to be carrying twenty sniper rifles?"
"YES."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm really hyped to make a stupid house and fill it with worthless crap. How early in the game can I do this?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Daztek posted:

And hoarding simulator

precision posted:

"Hey John Fallout, do you, erm, do you really need to be carrying twenty sniper rifles?"
"YES."

waiting for the mod that lets me build a throne out of guns like in GoT

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

I'm really hyped to make a stupid house and fill it with worthless crap. How early in the game can I do this?

Extremely early. Within an hour of leaving the vault you get the construction tutorial quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

marktheando posted:

From what I've seen it's part of the very first quest after leaving the vault

e: the more I think about it the cooler it is that this game's megaton is something you actually get to build yourself

• Locked thread