Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got my disc yesterday :tipshat:

The Jackie and Tom commentary track somehow managed to surpass both the MST3K and Rifftrax rip in entertainment values.

I'm curious who the Voice Actress that did all the female dubbing was? I guess that it's almost impossible now to find the person, but theoretically there were only so many women doing radio work in Dallas. I guess it's the mystery that's only worth solving by someone with plenty of time and wouldn't mind blowing tons of money (either on actual or opportunity cost). Which I think describes a lot of goons. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Facebook randomly suggested this page to me today.

Basically someone is making "Torgo: The high school years."

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SirPhoebos posted:

I got my disc yesterday :tipshat:

The Jackie and Tom commentary track somehow managed to surpass both the MST3K and Rifftrax rip in entertainment values.

I'm curious who the Voice Actress that did all the female dubbing was? I guess that it's almost impossible now to find the person, but theoretically there were only so many women doing radio work in Dallas. I guess it's the mystery that's only worth solving by someone with plenty of time and wouldn't mind blowing tons of money (either on actual or opportunity cost). Which I think describes a lot of goons. :v:

Thanks to the research Jackey is doing for her book, we now know who the voice actress was- a relative of Hal Warren's who has unfortunately passed on. It's too bad, because I would have loved to get them in a room together.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I watched the bluray the other night and I am very impressed with the restoration, Ben. It so weird watching Manos without any other commentary.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Got my copy in the mail today, thanks Ben! :cheers:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I complained in this thread a couple of times over the years about the lack of updates on the blu-ray, so I thought I ought to say that I got my disc and it looks incredible. Thanks so much for doing this Ben.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What's the progress on shipping discs to people who haven't gotten theirs yet? I still haven't gotten mine.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mister Kingdom posted:

What's the progress on shipping discs to people who haven't gotten theirs yet? I still haven't gotten mine.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manos/manos-the-restoration/posts/1386347

Basically, send a message and Ben can check your tracking number to see what's going on.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Mine still hasn't arrived, and I messaged Ben on 10/18 but haven't heard back. :(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Nalin posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manos/manos-the-restoration/posts/1386347

Basically, send a message and Ben can check your tracking number to see what's going on.

I've sent a couple of messages but haven't heard back. I've never received a tracking number.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I sent him a message too, but haven't heard anything. Thankfully mine came a few days back.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE! IT'S FINALLY HERE! :neckbeard:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I'm really glad that there are some screenprints left -- I ordered mine today. I had incorrectly assumed they were all gone. My office will no longer have an ugly empty space.

Ben Solo posted:

There's not much to say about this guy, really. Compared to what Fake New Zealand Torgo put everyone through, all his emails, comments, and posts aren't even approaching a hassle. It's just a good opportunity to point out that if you ever fundraise online, you can expect at least one guy (it's always a guy) that can't be pleased. With his disc in hand he compliments the end result one moment, then declares me a conman, a creep, and/or a baby in the next.

There's always a shitlord who lives to tell you about how he could do whatever you're doing better.

If you'd like me to instead harass you about how happy I am with your work, let me know. That never happens.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 26, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE! IT'S FINALLY HERE! :neckbeard:

WOO HOO!! ME , TOO!

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
You know, as mainstream as "so bad it's good" has now become, it's still a trip to actually, honest to god, see the blurb "The worst film ever made! --Entertainment Weekly" on a movie case.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is amazing, thank you! :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ya got namedropped by these nerds (sorta)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA5f86pD7o4&t=535s

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Manos probably wouldn't have had that bad of a reputation if weren't for the audio.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Eh, it's terrible for reasons beyond the sound.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Detective Thompson posted:

Eh, it's terrible for reasons beyond the sound.

True, but bad audio in a film is just unforgivable and makes for an excruciating viewing experience. We're all used to bad acting and flat direction in these cheap movies but they at least have audio that's competently done. The dubbing and music in Manos is just bewildering.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

What kind of talk is that!?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Dubbing is the only thing Manos did the hard way. Films of that era at that level of quaintness where they can't do location sound sometimes take on a cool oneiric quality when the filmmakers avoid having to precisely match their audio to lip sync. Equinox and The Beast of Yucca Flats come to mind immediately. So they do lots of disembodied voiceover on highly visual content, or when you have to do dialogue you cut to the person not talking as much as possible, or do a goofy workaround like conveniently pointing them away from the camera or have them covering their mouth, wearing a mask, etc. But almost every line in Manos is delivered by someone facing the camera. All the potential elegance of a scene just drains away as soon as anyone opens their mouth.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The dialog would still be Ed Wood levels of bad regardless of dubbing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Time Dissolver posted:

Dubbing is the only thing Manos did the hard way. Films of that era at that level of quaintness where they can't do location sound sometimes take on a cool oneiric quality when the filmmakers avoid having to precisely match their audio to lip sync. Equinox and The Beast of Yucca Flats come to mind immediately. So they do lots of disembodied voiceover on highly visual content, or when you have to do dialogue you cut to the person not talking as much as possible, or do a goofy workaround like conveniently pointing them away from the camera or have them covering their mouth, wearing a mask, etc. But almost every line in Manos is delivered by someone facing the camera. All the potential elegance of a scene just drains away as soon as anyone opens their mouth.

I mean, the Man With No Name trilogy was completely dubbed, and it turned out alright. Or in the early Bond films, the female lead would be played by one actress and voiced by another actress.

Ah, the 1960s. What a wonderful time for movie making.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I mean, the Man With No Name trilogy was completely dubbed, and it turned out alright. Or in the early Bond films, the female lead would be played by one actress and voiced by another actress.

Not just the women. Michael Collins was dubbed over Gert Frobe in Goldfinger, and David de Keyser provides the voice of Draco over Gabrielle Ferzetti in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Ah, the 1960s. What a wonderful time for movie making.

El Topo uses dubbing to interesting results as well.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sir Lemming posted:

The dialog would still be Ed Wood levels of bad regardless of dubbing.

Ed Wood, is good.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Watching this has confirmed what I suspected all along that the best feature of Manos is the music. Maybe it's just the passage of time that has done it but even the lovely lounge music is strangely functional. Even a modest orchestra would have been way, way too much for anything in the film. A Woman Under the Influence has a similar soundtrack, actually.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I am really tempted to buy the soundtrack that was released on vinyl.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Manos probably wouldn't have had that bad of a reputation if weren't for the audio.

What? No. Bad dubbing aside, the audio is really the least of the film's problems. Hell, the music is the only part of the film that actually works as intended. I mean, I wouldn't choose to score a horror film with a lounge jazz ensemble but it's such an unusual choice it does at least convey the idea that's what happening on the screen is supposed to be horrifying.

Oh, wait, SuperMechagodzilla.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 1, 2015

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
A Google Alert just treated me to a white supremacist site giving the disc a positive review, which naturally disregards Hal Warren's or my own Judaism. (Here is an Imgur link, since I won't be giving them traffic ).

"(Bad movies) lack the pseudo-intellectual “sophistication” of the “quality production,” which is usually just a big budget rehash of Judaic PC-ideology."

"In the featurette “Restoring the Hands of Fate,” although he likes to use the word “schmutz” a lot, restorationist Solovey presents as an almost aggressively Aryan type in appearance, modest and plain spoken. He takes obvious pride in in speaking of the fine German scanner he managed to obtain for the task..."

"Did Warren anticipate the practice of “fisting,” which Edmund White called “the only new sexual act invented in recorded history”?"

At this rate, I'll never get to be an Elder of Zion.

Ben Solo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 6, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

Life here in the material world, on the samsaric plane, is an endless, horizontal round, a Circle, of the same, karma-induced events over and over; liberation/salvation/enlightenment is a matter of tossing aside karma (what I've called "passing the buck" and ascending vertically, via a Spiral (a turn of the screw), to a new level.

Since when did white supremacists practice Buddhism? What is it with these lunkheads and their ever-deeper turns into nonsensical syncretism?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vermain posted:

Since when did white supremacists practice Buddhism? What is it with these lunkheads and their ever-deeper turns into nonsensical syncretism?
If you're going the Aryan/Nazi route, look no further than the 1939 Nazi expedition to Tibet.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Isn't Solovey a Jewish name too? Not that I care, just adds another layer of laughs :v:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That review is some weird poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Note the "White Nationalist's Guide to the Movies" on the sidebar, complete with MST3K cutout heil-hitlering.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Note the "White Nationalist's Guide to the Movies" on the sidebar, complete with MST3K cutout heil-hitlering.

I wonder how the people who run that site feels about this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYYnwhn4g4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nazi nerds must be lonely because so much sci-fi nerd stuff is made by jews. Do you think they're ever like, "well William Shatner is Jewish, but I don't see anything suggesting that Captain Kirk is!"?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jack Gladney posted:

Nazi nerds must be lonely because so much sci-fi nerd stuff is made by jews. Do you think they're ever like, "well William Shatner is Jewish, but I don't see anything suggesting that Captain Kirk is!"?

I think I can safely live another 90 or so years without needing an answer to that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I think I can safely live another 90 or so years without needing an answer to that question.

We are very different people.

• Locked thread