Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Merry Magpie posted:

Yes, I wasted an hour looking for a robot with a circuit board.

Then found it, and hit a landmine in the process. Reloaded, and tried again. Same result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ImpAtom posted:

They will not give access to perks. If you really want the high-end perks from those trees you do need to invest in them.

Clothing does give stats though. You can also layer it. (+2 from a suit, +1 from a hat +1 from sunglasses for example.)

Makes sense. Good to know, I'll only need the baseline for perks and anything on top is icing on the cake - good for extra HP/AP/speech checks

as a side note, I just received my key from cdkeys.com and I'm preloading now, so if anybody else preordered there, get to downloading!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I hacked into the mainframe and found one of the last cutscenes in the game SPOILERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdrg5DXqsn4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Merry Magpie posted:

Yes, I wasted an hour looking for a robot with a circuit board.

They also show up regularly in military installations, of which the main plot sends you into several and literally the mission before that sends you into a place that has 3-4 of them right there. I get what you're saying but I don't think most people are going to run into that particular hurdle.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

ImpAtom posted:

They also show up regularly in military installations, of which the main plot sends you into several and literally the mission before that sends you into a place that has 3-4 of them right there. I get what you're saying but I don't think most people are going to run into that particular hurdle.

Fair enough.

I just don't want people to go in blind and assume the settlement is entirely optional.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I keep getting spoiled by plot points, and not the actual thing I want to be spoiled by, women's hairstyle choices. I am hopeful for options in addition to buzzed, coiffed 50s mom hair, mohawks, and messy bun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Merry Magpie posted:

Fair enough.

I just don't want people to go in blind and assume the settlement is entirely optional.

Fair enough! You are correct, I was not thinking of that particular mission since I was overflowing with supplies.

Mondlicht posted:

I keep getting spoiled by plot points, and not the actual thing I want to be spoiled by, women's hairstyle choices. I am hopeful for options in addition to buzzed, coiffed 50s mom hair, mohawks, and messy bun.

Buzzed and 50's mom are totally in. I forget the others.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I bet rockabilly victory rolls is a thing too.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
ImpAtom and Merry Magpie, since you two seem to have the game can you tell us if you run out of fusion cores and don't want to walk super slow in your power armor frame, do you have to abandon it in the world and come back to it when you have fusion cores again or are you able to call it in Iron Man style later? Also I guess if you have enough fuel to use power armor indefinitely later or if you're always resource starved.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

precision posted:

The Strip is the worst area of the game, but you really don't have to spend much time there at all. I thought it was intentional that Vegas is built up in your head as you travel there, and when you get there, it's just another little settlement with a bunch of assholes.

Originally New Vegas was a lot bigger then how it appeared during release, due to limitations of consoles at the time they had to dial back on much of the content and scope they originally had set for Vegas; for example, Freeside and New Vegas were suppose to be one big set piece instead being divided up into sections. There are several mods out that take unused quests, NPCs, events, and props meant for the original New Vegas and restore them to some degree

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

ImpAtom and Merry Magpie, since you two seem to have the game can you tell us if you run out of fusion cores and don't want to walk super slow in your power armor frame, do you have to abandon it in the world and come back to it when you have fusion cores again or are you able to call it in Iron Man style later? Also I guess if you have enough fuel to use power armor indefinitely later or if you're always resource starved.

Fusion Cores are very plentiful. Unless you're using your power armor 24/7 I don't think you'll feel resource starved.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I assume most of us want to use power armor 24/7

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Leather jacket for me thanks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

You'll probably want the perk that makes fusion cores last longer then and I imagine you won't have an issue. I was sitting on 30+ fusion cores at any given time.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Shrinkage posted:

Leather jacket for me thanks

A leather jacket that identifies me as also owning power armor, but which I'm currently not wearing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think this is going to be my somewhat inspired by Rick and Morty build

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s=3&p=3&e=2&c=6&i=6&a=2&l=6

a perception bobble will give me lockpicking and a charisma bobble will give me party boy

I think that gives me Armorer, Vats targeting bonuses, access to all the settlement stuff, better crits, and high tech mods

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
If you have to ditch your armor, does it show up on the map?

Also, I assume you can fast-travel with it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

If you have to ditch your armor, does it show up on the map?

Also, I assume you can fast-travel with it?

Yes, the armor is marked on the map with a power armor face, and you can fast travel with it. You can also buy new Power Armor base frames if you want for some reason.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Buff Butler posted:

Apparently if you choose to kill your evil clone you get a loving brutal cutscene. Audio:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kRdisfQctQ

hosed up but it's good to see Bethesda go serious

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
I'll wear a postman outfit the whole game. And mod a cat as a follower.
Basically Postman Pat with a fat man.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, the armor is marked on the map with a power armor face, and you can fast travel with it. You can also buy new Power Armor base frames if you want for some reason.

Oh I guess this is the kind of answer I was looking for. I'll see how I feel about this system.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think this build is good for pure Energy Weapons/Science/Smart Guy run :science:

Probably glass cannon-y but that's what you have the power armor for!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the deal with the critical meter? Do you still get increased damage from headshots outside of VATS, or do you now have to build up the crit meter to ever get criticals?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any idea if low INT runs have different dialogue options and responses like in Fallout 1/2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

What's the deal with the critical meter? Do you still get increased damage from headshots outside of VATS, or do you now have to build up the crit meter to ever get criticals?

You still do increased damage with headshots and you still get stealth criticals. The critical is just a stored assured critical hit.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Any idea if low INT runs have different dialogue options and responses like in Fallout 1/2?

Every run is a low INT run. Just look at Hate Newspaper.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is there a custom radio station in FO4, like, I can drop songs into a folder?

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

They do not.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eonwe posted:

is there a custom radio station in FO4, like, I can drop songs into a folder?

There loving sure as hell better be!

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

ImpAtom posted:

You still do increased damage with headshots and you still get stealth criticals. The critical is just a stored assured critical hit.

I don't think I've seen a definitive answer on this - does the crit meter completely replace random crits?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, okay. And does the Better Criticals LUC perk work on non-stored criticals, too?

I'm probably going to end up spending a bunch of perk points just to increase stats so I can be the best at sneaking, lockpicking, hacking, sniping, and persuasion all at once. :ohdear:

EDIT: Also, is it worth it to go for those perks that give you access to better high-tech mods and such?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 7, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Thoughts on this? http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s=3&p=4&e=4&c=4&i=5&a=5&l=3

I plan on modding weapons as much as possible, so I'm leaving room for bobble heads to get that Science! perk, but I'm trying to go pretty middle of the road everyman with room to grow.

I'm considering backing off a point of Strength because I don't care about melee weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I plan on modding weapons as much as possible, so I'm leaving room for bobble heads to get that Science! perk, but I'm trying to go pretty middle of the road everyman with room to grow.

I completely forgot about bobble heads! Is it confirmed they're back in Fallout 4? That'll save me some perk points on increasing my SPECIAL stats then.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yes bobble heads are in

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beautiful. Now to make my perfect build where I never have to make difficult choices about what I want to specialize in. :v:

(I noticed there aren't any energy weapon perks, only radiation weapons. Does that mean energy weapons share perks with kinetic weapons? Like, taking Gunslinger makes you good with both pistols and laser pistols?)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The perception bobblehead you can get during the power armor tutorial quest which is less than an hour into the game so you can save one point in that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Walrus Pete posted:

I don't think I've seen a definitive answer on this - does the crit meter completely replace random crits?

In terms of the slow-motion crits, yes, I think so. It's effectively flattening out the random chance though and there's still critical-like damage spikes from headshots and such.

Harrow posted:

Ah, okay. And does the Better Criticals LUC perk work on non-stored criticals, too?

I'm probably going to end up spending a bunch of perk points just to increase stats so I can be the best at sneaking, lockpicking, hacking, sniping, and persuasion all at once. :ohdear:

EDIT: Also, is it worth it to go for those perks that give you access to better high-tech mods and such?

I should note that lockpicking and hacking require only 4 PER and INT each. Persuasion is a flat CHA modifier.

For mods this is a thing: Enemies who use the same weapon type will have modded weapons. You can pull the mods off those weapons and install them on yours even if you don't have the proper perk. However I'm pretty sure unique weapons can only get high-level mods if you have the perk.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kind of an arbitrary question, but is there an assault rifle that doesnt look like some funky WWI machine gun in FO4? The ones in the earlier games looked alot cooler

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

frajaq posted:

I think this build is good for pure Energy Weapons/Science/Smart Guy run :science:

Probably glass cannon-y but that's what you have the power armor for!
I'm doing a similar character with some differences:

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s=2&p=3&e=1&c=4&i=8&a=4&l=6

Built taking into consideration the highest SPECIAL for the perks I want while considering the existence of Bobbleheads.

So Armorer from Strength, Lockpick from PER, who cares about END, I want Local Leader from CHA so I'll need to put a point there in a level-up, robot hacking from the start of the game, Action Boy & Critical Banker.

If health gains from endurance happen at level-up, min/maxers probably won't want to use endurance as a dump stat like I am, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
A more important question, is the guide wrong and can you gently caress Mr Handy?

• Locked thread