Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

the game is not half-made the story is half-assed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
TPP: it's a good videogame.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Has anyone had any trouble with their Security Team's roster not taking in new guys? Like my Combat Team is all A++ at least, and I'll extract new A+ guys and they'll end up in my waiting room instead of ever going to my Security Team.

And besides that, is there a way to get a better Russian Interpreter, Kikongo Interpreter, etc. These guys are all D and C and stuff, dragging down my support team... I've heard that you can just do some older missions over to get updated staff but those interpreters were sideops, I think.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

And besides that, is there a way to get a better Russian Interpreter, Kikongo Interpreter, etc. These guys are all D and C and stuff, dragging down my support team... I've heard that you can just do some older missions over to get updated staff but those interpreters were sideops, I think.

I still have mine so not 100% on this but people have said once you have them and unlock the language you can get rid of them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Moola posted:

TPP: it's a good videogame.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The mooks all say the same things in the same situations anyway. You probably know them by now.
Unless you still need to interrogate people sack those slowpokes

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ambivalent posted:

Has anyone had any trouble with their Security Team's roster not taking in new guys? Like my Combat Team is all A++ at least, and I'll extract new A+ guys and they'll end up in my waiting room instead of ever going to my Security Team.

There is no security stat, so you have to place them there. Seriously, Miller?

Get rid of the interpreters.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Ambivalent posted:

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is no security stat, so you have to place them there. Seriously, Miller?

Security Team uses the Combat stat. This is why they added the placement options to favor either Combat or Security.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poopzilla posted:

the game is not half-made the story is half-assed

Wasn't there intended to be another two areas to the game or is that bullshit. It would make sense why a lot of missions in chapter 2 are just ones from chapter 1 but harder.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Wasn't there intended to be another two areas to the game or is that bullshit. It would make sense why a lot of missions in chapter 2 are just ones from chapter 1 but harder.

There's datamined stuff for another Eli mission, for using Battle Gear as a deployable vehicle, and a lot of stuff seems a bit abbreviated.

Metal Gear games are replete with Kojima's unrealized ambitions but this is more than usual imo. I wish Snake had more lines. There's a few scenes where people talk directly to Snake for paragraphs and it is really weird to not even have a grunt or "what?" here or there. the jeep ride especially has Snake not even look at or respond to Skullface even once makes it feel kinda flat

Also, can anyone confirm that you can dismiss the interpreters and still comprehend radio chatter and such?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Ambivalent posted:

There's datamined stuff for another Eli mission, for using Battle Gear as a deployable vehicle, and a lot of stuff seems a bit abbreviated.

Metal Gear games are replete with Kojima's unrealized ambitions but this is more than usual imo. I wish Snake had more lines. There's a few scenes where people talk directly to Snake for paragraphs and it is really weird to not even have a grunt or "what?" here or there. the jeep ride especially has Snake not even look at or respond to Skullface even once makes it feel kinda flat

It's a bit awkward for sure, though it kinda makes sense since you're not the real Snake.

quote:

Also, can anyone confirm that you can dismiss the interpreters and still comprehend radio chatter and such?

Yeah, you can ditch them once you have them and need better dudes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ambivalent posted:

Battle Gear was removed as a buddy due to "balance issues" apparently

Which is too bad, it even has the cute little D Walker head

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

kojima, more like konami. you don't just tell the greatest video game maker dude of all times to wrap it up and not expect the game to be 3/4th a masterpiece.

WHOAAA OHHHHHHHHH

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
So once I've developed everything that requires a certain skill, is there any point in keeping around the people with that skill?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

TheMaestroso posted:

This is why they added the placement options to favor either Combat or Security.

Wait, what?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Red Metal posted:

So once I've developed everything that requires a certain skill, is there any point in keeping around the people with that skill?

Nope! Though make sure you don't dump people you might need for the next patch weapons (if it's not out yet).

There was a patch a while back that gave you extra options for sorting your dudes in your teams. Originally you could only sort all of them into the appropriate teams (which automatically favored the Combat team), or just the guys in the waiting room. After the patch you could influence this process by choosing to favor the Combat team or the Security team, since they both use the same stat.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
In honour of my recently developed nuke

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TheMaestroso posted:

Nope! Though make sure you don't dump people you might need for the next patch weapons (if it's not out yet).

There was a patch a while back that gave you extra options for sorting your dudes in your teams. Originally you could only sort all of them into the appropriate teams (which automatically favored the Combat team), or just the guys in the waiting room. After the patch you could influence this process by choosing to favor the Combat team or the Security team, since they both use the same stat.
Muscle memory completely ignored that feature. Security is still the dump stat since my combat guys are constantly getting stronger by the hour, then they get transferred to another department.

Supposedly, the last mission is just a small new area, kind of like a showdown boss battle.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Yeah if you watched the cutscene meant for mission 51, the whole area is just one island to give you that Lord of the Flies comparison where Eli is lord dickhole ruler of the place.

Also the lovely thing about S-ranking Backup, Back Down is that since the mission apparently expects you to travel all over the map, they don't pop checkpoint saves when you enter/leave outposts. Every time you mess up, you start at the only checkpoint in the mission: when you get dropped off by Pequod. You may as well pick Restart Mission every time but then you gotta sit there and wait for the helicopter to drop you every single time.

I watched a walkthrough on S-ranking + all mission tasks and this is a really loving tall order. I don't get why everyone was complaining about Metallic Archaea compared to this.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Don't try to do them all at once. Do one run where you drop in at the north and do all the vehicles, then do another where you drop in at the southeast, rescue all the hostages, and grab one vehicle when it's convenient.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
BUBD is the worst and least Metal Gear mission in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's not very Metal Gear-ey but it's a fun mission if you're not going for S rank or all objectives.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, it is actually really cool to ride around on your horse alongside an armored vehicle, reminds me of Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade. Especially when you do the mission the first time and don't have the fulton to extract the vehicles or the guided missiles. You have to plant C4 charges or ride-bys on D-Horse with the Grom, or hide along ridges. Then hop on your horse and book it to the next target.

It actually has a lot of energy and was one of my favorite missions, and I say that as someone who prefers to normally play the game Total Stealth/no kills and typically deploys with rank 2 tranq pistol and little else.

I wish there were more spots to use C4 in general, it is incredibly satisfying and makes you feel really cool. On the Honeybee mission my first time, I planted some C4 on radio equipment, took out two guys clustered around the jeep with my tranq pistol, then blew the C4 in the distance, making everyone turn around and look that way, then took out the next three guys, and it felt really cool and cinematic, I was proud.

Then I rescued Silent Basilisk, who has a unique portrait and cannot be dismissed ever. Does anyone know why that is? I assumed that in an earlier draft of the game, the Hamid prisoner was meant to be a plot point or something (maybe an infection vector or something?) but who knows.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 8, 2015

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm just now learning about being able to favor combat or security w/ recruits. How would I go about doing that? Staff management?

Also, for demon point subtraction, does it matter how much time I spend on the animal conservation platform? Can I just drop and call Pequod back in, or should I actually run around it a little?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm just now learning about being able to favor combat or security w/ recruits. How would I go about doing that? Staff management?

it's an auto sort option in staff management

added in the October patch

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

ayn rand hand job posted:

it's an auto sort option in staff management

added in the October patch

Thaaaaaank you.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ambivalent posted:

Then I rescued Silent Basilisk, who has a unique portrait and cannot be dismissed ever. Does anyone know why that is? I assumed that in an earlier draft of the game, the Hamid prisoner was meant to be a plot point or something (maybe an infection vector or something?) but who knows.

If you replay mission 6 and kill the mute prisoner instead of extracting him, he'll be removed from your Mother Base roster. (He might also be removed if you just don't extract him when replaying that mission, but I think that might not be the case?)

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you're getting it on PC then you can put in your own MP3s and give your helicopter the Airwolf theme. GOTY all years.

If it's on console then you can use some bitchin 80s electropop, GOTY regardless.

Ya' know, my only complaint about the licensed music in this game is that, unless I missed a tape somewhere, it desperately lacks some Talking Heads. Life During Wartime would have been pretty great and era-appropriate (unlike several other tracks). I typically open Spotify on my PS4 and play The Name of This Ban is Talking Heads when I play the game. Sure, there are some other artists and songs that would go wonderfully on here, as well, but this omission stands out the most to me. I mean, I Zimbra?

But yeah, they chose some pretty good tracks to license. As a Joy Division fan, I particularly like the inclusion of Love Will Tear Us Apart, and I had forgotten how awesome Maneater was until I listened to it on here. poo poo, I even (sort of) prefer the version of The Man Who Sold The World in this game to the original.

Edit: I'm on a PS4, so sadly I can't choose just any song to have my chopper blast. That'd be so loving great, though. I'd probably abuse it almost as much as I abuse the emblem customization and Occupation Forces.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 8, 2015

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

TheMaestroso posted:

Most of my first 40 hours had She Blinded Me With Science. Never not awesome.

I specifically set DMX's "Party Up" for my entry theme, and it took a LONG time before it started to get even a little bit old.

Vic Boss posted:

I think I have the king of emblems.

I tried to do my best with what I had.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 8, 2015

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Melchior posted:

I specifically set DMX's "Party Up" for my entry theme, and it took a LONG time before it started to get even a little bit old.

Yes. This sort of poo poo. It'd just be great if I could connect my external HDD (or what have you) to my PS4 and have the same privilege or something.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Melchior posted:

I tried to do my best with what I had.

I think you did a pretty good job.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
:drat:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

gtrmp posted:

If you replay mission 6 and kill the mute prisoner instead of extracting him, he'll be removed from your Mother Base roster. (He might also be removed if you just don't extract him when replaying that mission, but I think that might not be the case?)
He is not entirely worthless, but he is taking up a lock slot. *click*

The pictures in the helicopter are almost entirely of goats.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 8, 2015

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Does extracting rival FOB staff count as extracting an enemy soldier, and therefore equaling negative demon points? I don't like this stupid long horn, and going back and forth between command and the animal platform is boring.

Edit: For that matter, do you get -demon points for capture-cage animal extractions or just Fultoning them? Guides I've found are sort of ambiguous about that.
Also, I know I can do missions or free-roam and extract stuff, but... Ya' know, just not as fun as FOB infiltration right now.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 8, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Scalding Coffee posted:

The pictures in the helicopter are almost entirely of goats.
Someone in the spoiler thread joked that the game should have had a segment like the Sorrow in MGS3, except that you face all the goats you've fultoned instead of the dudes you've killed.

That probably would've taken most of us several real-time hours to get through.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

Someone in the spoiler thread joked that the game should have had a segment like the Sorrow in MGS3, except that you face all the goats you've fultoned instead of the dudes you've killed.

That probably would've taken most of us several real-time hours to get through.

The Animal Conservation platform could have an interior part where you have to wade through all the creatures to get an emblem or something, hire me Kojima

Whatever, those goats are too dangerous to let them roam free. I was doing some tank unit sideop in Africa, and I went to approach the tank while the helicopter was overhead, but there was a sniper overlooking that tank. So I moved to flank the sniper, but there was a sniper watching him, so I moved to flank THAT sniper, and I thought it would be fun to Bionc Arm the guy in the face, so I run up, he yelps 'contact', and... a goat jumps out of the brush and headbutts me, knocking me over. Combat alert, disaster.

e: and how do capture cages work, I haven't actually used one yet, do you just leave it there, or do you have to come back for it later, or what?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WOO~~ drunkg posting isnsuepr fun I can;t beliuebe i;ve never done thi sbefore. I guess I'llk eat w/e probate I gey. I
'lkl rpiably regwte this whe I'm sober but gently caress it. I feel like tje woman I've always been WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Genocyber posted:

WOO~~ drunkg posting isnsuepr fun I can;t beliuebe i;ve never done thi sbefore. I guess I'llk eat w/e probate I gey. I
'lkl rpiably regwte this whe I'm sober but gently caress it. I feel like tje woman I've always been WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHOA OOOOAAH

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ambivalent posted:

e: and how do capture cages work, I haven't actually used one yet, do you just leave it there, or do you have to come back for it later, or what?
Yeah, you just leave it there and your support dudes collect it automatically when you extract. You do actually have to call in the chopper for the extraction, though, just returning to the ACC from the menu won't work.

edit: also that was some scrub tier drunkposting there, when real drunkposting pros do it you can't even tell the difference.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ambivalent posted:

The Animal Conservation platform could have an interior part where you have to wade through all the creatures to get an emblem or something, hire me Kojima

Whatever, those goats are too dangerous to let them roam free. I was doing some tank unit sideop in Africa, and I went to approach the tank while the helicopter was overhead, but there was a sniper overlooking that tank. So I moved to flank the sniper, but there was a sniper watching him, so I moved to flank THAT sniper, and I thought it would be fun to Bionc Arm the guy in the face, so I run up, he yelps 'contact', and... a goat jumps out of the brush and headbutts me, knocking me over. Combat alert, disaster.

You can drop 8 cages.

• Locked thread