Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

A think I feel I should emphasize for those mind-maxing:

Remember that the gun-mod abilities are for crafting, not equipping, those mods. There are ways to get mods without crafting. (There is even an NPC who noticed a unique weapons I was carrying, had dialogue for it and sold me mods for it. I don't know if it was that specific weapon or not but it would be sort of odd if it was.) You can equip any mod if you have it, just not craft.

Well, that's probably good, then, depending on how available mods are without crafting them. I've never been huge into crafting in the first place, so if I can still reliably buy/find good mods without crafting them, I can safely ignore those perks. (Though if there are really good crafted-only mods I'll still probably level them.)

Another question about perks: one of the build trees seems to give you the first rank of each perk for free for having the requisite SPECIAL stat. Is that accurate, or do you have to spend a perk point for rank 1 of each perk? I assumed the latter, but I just want to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol bethesda is so bad at their jobs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Well, that's probably good, then, depending on how available mods are without crafting them. I've never been huge into crafting in the first place, so if I can still reliably buy/find good mods without crafting them, I can safely ignore those perks. (Though if there are really good crafted-only mods I'll still probably level them.)

Another question about perks: one of the build trees seems to give you the first rank of each perk for free for having the requisite SPECIAL stat. Is that accurate, or do you have to spend a perk point for rank 1 of each perk? I assumed the latter, but I just want to check.

They're pretty available. Enemies have modded weapons you can rip stuff off and there are shopkeepers who sell them. Unique weapons are going to be harder to get crafting parts for though since they need their own custom crafted parts instead of using generic ones. I don't think you'll be able to reliably get the highest-tier crafted parts but you should at least be able to upgrade your guns. The big thing I'd say is hard to find is suppressors which are pretty rare.

That is incorrect. You have to spent a perk point to get it. The SPECIAL stat is just the gating requirement.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I don't understand how they went from Skyrim's innkeepers to that blow-up doll monstrosity lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They're pretty available. Enemies have modded weapons you can rip stuff off and there are shopkeepers who sell them. Unique weapons are going to be harder to get crafting parts for though since they need their own custom crafted parts instead of using generic ones.

That is incorrect. You have to spent a perk point to get it. The SPECIAL stat is just the gating requirement.

That's what I thought with the perks, it makes the most sense that way.

Thanks for all the answers!

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't understand how they went from Skyrim's innkeepers to that blow-up doll monstrosity lol

I'm curious as to whether Fallout 4 went back to FaceGen or something like it (the system used in Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dark Souls and some other titles). It doesn't really look like FaceGen stuff though. Just plain ugly.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Rookersh posted:

Does Fallout 4 have guilds/factions now? Does it have more then two towns? Does it have more then 17 sidequests? Because Fallout 3 was designed so that the main quest was all that mattered, and after that was done, you basically just go collect the remaining Bobbleheads. If Fallout 4 is the same and we already know the ending, then I hope the Settlement stuff is really well done, because it and Bobblehead collecting is probably going to be the only game left.
According to Bethesda, the settlement stuff was so interesting that devs were playing with it instead of finishing the game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that bodies can now be scaled instead of having a single base body for every single man and woman.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Bholder posted:

It's way too much hassle just for being impatient.

if we were 24 hours in the future my vpn would've saved me the hassle of reading your whiny babby posting.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015
I have zero interest in the settlement stuff. For one, I like being the lone wanderer/adventurer-type character in these games. I've never been into Minecraft or anything like that and barely got as far as building a single-room house in Hearthfire. I know Todd did his usual "this is totally optional and if you don't care about it you can ignore it" spiel at E3 but they obviously spent time and resources on it they could've invested elsewhere.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TorakFade posted:

this reminds me once again that I need a proper character builder when I can actually insert perks and stuff, that nukahub thing is a good reference but I can't actually PLAN my build there, and the other build planner was a piece of crap that wouldn't display right on my computer :argh:

The one we have really serves the most important bit; planning your starting SPECIAL. You get quick feed back on what you need for each perk, and whether your SPECIAL can afford what is most vital, so you can start spending on those perks from level 2 and onward. Yes, there are level requirements, but those will probably take care of themselves, since a good initial SPECIAL distribution is going to start you with like 5 or 6 perks that you want to invest in immediately. By the time you get them, second tiers start openning up, and before you can even think about buying another SPECIAL attribute to unlock a new perk you are further improving the perks that are already available.

It seems to me that the intent is your SPECIAL really shouldn't be changing much over a playthrough. Look at the perks. Decide which are absolutely vital to your desired playstyle. Try to get as many of them unlocked with the starting SPECIAL. From there, things should take care of themselves.

The only real concern from there is things like bobble heads and that is weighted by the relative ease of actually finding the Bobbleheads, which doesn't easily factor into a simple stat calculator.

But maybe I am looking at things wrong.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiggles posted:

It seems to me that the intent is your SPECIAL really shouldn't be changing much over a playthrough. Look at the perks. Decide which are absolutely vital to your desired playstyle. Try to get as many of them unlocked with the starting SPECIAL. From there, things should take care of themselves.

I think the fact that each SPECIAL stat has a (potentially pretty important) passive effect might make it worth it to drop some perk points into leveling those stats just to have those stats. I plan to have high Charisma to pass speech checks, for example, even though I don't really want much from the Charisma perks. I'm sure doing that is going to require me to change my SPECIAL a decent amount as I play.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I wonder if you could actually gimp yourself if you only kept leveling special and none of the perks. I'm pretty sure you won't be though.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGXCisAaR4 This is the true release trailer.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
This game is fairly mediocre in every respect, and as usual the amount of bugs are staggeThis post has been removed due to a copyright claim from Zenimax Media.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

SunAndSpring posted:

There's still energy weapons. From what I gather, the damage types in this are:
-Ballistic. Basically guns and shrapnel.
-Energy. Lasers, plasma, and flames.
-Radiation. New type of damage that severely hurts humans but does dick to everything else. Works kind of like the Microwave Emitter from Fallout 3.
-Bleed. Damage over time caused by bladed weapons.
The last one is poison, I believe.

Bleeding is more of a status effect like poisoned, frozen, ON FIRE, etc., rather than a damage type.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/yvGXCisAaR4?t=64

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
https://vid.me/JLcx holy balls, 15fps when scoping on ps4. I hope you all got PC version like you should.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilentity posted:

https://vid.me/JLcx holy balls, 15fps when scoping on ps4. I hope you all got PC version like you should.

Wow, that's awful.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Definitely steam for me. Man that's poo poo no matter which way you put it.

The audio sounds fantastic though. And that gameplay looks meaty as gently caress.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

evilentity posted:

A Bethesda game running poorly on a Sony platform? That's ridiculous.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Fallout 4 isn't about the graphics, story, sound design, gameplay,

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Republicans posted:

A Bethesda game running poorly on a Sony platform? That's ridiculous.

called it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hope they patch that by xmas when i get the game

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Wow, the perks look really, really...plain.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015
I never get tired of that outtake of Todd Howard talking about being in the chess club.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Pain Train, Ricochet, and the final tier of Fortune Finder are kinda unique, but the rest are just boring +% to whatever yeah

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bardeh posted:

hahaha that Neogaf thread that was linked earlier about the PS4 framerate is good reading

:allears:

Hahaha goddamn

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress, wonder if it's too late to cancel my socks order

:negative:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

Wow, that's awful.

why does a crank powered rifle use energy ammo.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't remember that NPC in Skyrim. Is she a mod? She's probably the most "real" looking NPC in the game.

That said, it's a nuclear apocalypse. Everyone's going to look a little hosed up. (At least, that's what's keeping me going...)

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Roobanguy posted:

It is like steampunk dude.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roobanguy posted:

:henget:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lowtechs posted:

It is like steampunk dude.

nukepunk. pukenunk

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Roobanguy posted:

Apparently the crank just loads cells into the thing to fire. Not sure why you need to crank them in (and from where?) when you can just shove them into the laser rifle/pistol.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The musket is a dumb early game weapon you use until you find the regular laser rifle. Unless there's a musket variant later that makes them worth using.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Seashell Salesman posted:

Apparently the crank just loads cells into the thing to fire. Not sure why you need to crank them in (and from where?) when you can just shove them into the laser rifle/pistol.

Maybe you're cranking to prime the charge before firing?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just The Facts posted:

Wow, the perks look really, really...plain.

Some of them get interesting at higher ranks, like Fortune Finder giving a chance for enemies to explode into caps when you kill them. Or Bloody Mess causing enemies near the enemy you gib to also explode.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

You are spinning a mini generator to power the gun I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I think I saw in one of the streams that you can get ones that crank more than once, and those ones presumable would consume more cells per shot and do more damage.

• Locked thread