Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

I felt my heart beat
Chris Roberts in my bedroom
I will please that meat

"Look, at me Chris, please!"
I exclaimed with such passion
Leaking in panties

"Bend over don't cry"
Chris whispered to me softly
"Here's aids, LTI"

to0terfish fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trolololowned
Nov 8, 2015

by Lowtax

Renegret posted:

That's the best username you could come up with for a resub?

Does it matter? The point is that you fell for it and I am thus demonstrated to be intellectually superior to you and everyone will love me and think I'm great.

Get with the program or get out. Please.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

OhDearGodNo posted:

12 Cognitive biases vs the Star Citizen cult

Confirmation Bias - only visit websites that express our...opinions, and why we mostly hang around people who hold similar views and tastes.
Totally not reddit.

Ingroup Bias - forge tighter bonds with people in our ingroup, performs the exact opposite function for those on the outside — it makes us suspicious, fearful, and even disdainful of others.
Again, totally not reddit. No way that they would accuse everyone of being a DS alt. Nope.

Gambler's Fallacy - put a tremendous amount of weight on previous events, believing that they'll somehow influence future outcomes.
Chris Roberts made Wing Commander, this will definitely be just as good, if not better!

Post-Purchase Rationalization - a kind of built-in mechanism that makes us feel better after we make crappy decisions, especially at the cash register. Also known as Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome, it's a way of subconsciously justifying our purchases — especially expensive ones.
Dropping $1000k+ on a video game.

Neglecting Probability - our inability to properly grasp a proper sense of peril and risk.
This game is too big to fail and they said they have a reserve fund!

Observational Selection Bias - This is that effect of suddenly noticing things we didn't notice that much before — but we wrongly assume that the frequency has increased.
We're getting more and more backers, the game is getting more popular and making more money than at the beginning!

Status-Quo Bias - Part of the perniciousness of this bias is the unwarranted assumption that another choice will be inferior or make things worse.
Elite has planets? A full galaxy? Rovers? It's going to have multicrew and EVA? It still sucks because Star Citizen has fidelity!

Negativity Bias - People tend to pay more attention to bad news — and it's not just because we're morbid. Social scientists theorize that it's on account of our selective attention and that, given the choice, we perceive negative news as being more important or profound.
/r/dereksmart

Bandwagon Effect - Though we're often unconscious of it, we love to go with the flow of the crowd. When the masses start to pick a winner or a favorite, that's when our individualized brains start to shut down and enter into a kind of "groupthink" or hivemind mentality.
Reddit a hivemind? Nah. Ban dissenters from RSI? Must be a DS alt.

Projection Bias - We tend to assume that most people think just like us ... this cognitive shortcoming often leads to a related effect known as the false consensus bias where we tend to believe that people not only think like us, but that they also agree with us; we overestimate how typical and normal we are, and assume that a consensus exists on matters when there may be none.
Most of the world expects this to be the BDSSE, except for the few who want to see it fail. Them and clickbait journalists. The only clickbait journalists are ones we disagree with. The rest are a-ok.

The Current Moment Bias - Most of us would rather experience pleasure in the current moment, while leaving the pain for later.
I tend to think of this more like denial. Only freedom through a refund/chargeback can free the mind.

Anchoring Effect - Also known as the relativity trap, this is the tendency we have to compare and contrast only a limited set of items. ...We tend to fixate on a value or number that in turn gets compared to everything else. The classic example is an item at the store that's on sale; we tend to see (and value) the difference in price, but not the overall price itself.
$600 for a space bus? That's nothing, people spend that much over the course of 6 weekends hanging out with real friends.

:vince:

Briefly some signal pierces through the noise of this thread. Thank you!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have been trolled so hard guys

I can't hold on any longer

the shame...the shame is too great

what the troll is I don't know but I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Seraph likes his women the same way he likes his whiskey: 12 years old and mixed up with coke

:gary:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i am feeling extremely owned by the insane star pedophile

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Seraph84, Star Citizen fan

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hey you insufferable twat

The second closest thing to a relationship you've ever had is fiddling your 11-year old cousin

The closest was regging an account for your fake girlfriend to impress the internet

Why don't you gently caress off

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Between seraph and Jon pop I think we got DB3 covered

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Omi-Polari posted:

Nostalgia and "ultimate immersive experience" are compelling for 35-year-old manchildren because they remember playing games when they were 13 or 14 when their brains were a lot more malleable and easily immersed in fantasy worlds. But a lot of the games they played then were pretty lovely.

I mean I'm a horrible nerd too but that's the reason.

When I was 13 and first started smoking the reefer, Morrowind was the most amazing video game experience I ever had. I can still get immersed in a good fantasy world but I need shrooms now.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Renegret posted:

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

yea

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Renegret posted:

That's the best username you could come up with for a resub?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AP posted:

I don't think the 11 year old story is true, I still think he's nuts though.
Much like Star Citizen it doesn't matter if it's real, it only matters that it's entirely believable.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Anyone ever say you look a lot like ulillillia?

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Im_drunk posted:

I felt my heart beat
Chris Roberts in my bedroom
I will please that meat

"Look, at me Chris, please!"
I exclaimed with such passion
Leaking in panties

"Bend over don't cry"
Chris whispered to me softly
"Here's aids, LTI"

That's loving beautiful, man :shobon:

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Hey you guys I want you to know that I have totally trolled and owned you with this post.

Trolololowned
Nov 8, 2015

by Lowtax

Percelus posted:

When I was 13 and first started smoking the reefer, Morrowind was the most amazing video game experience I ever had. I can still get immersed in a good fantasy world but I need shrooms now.
This is an excellent post

Trolololowned
Nov 8, 2015

by Lowtax

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hey you insufferable twat

The second closest thing to a relationship you've ever had is fiddling your 11-year old cousin

The closest was regging an account for your fake girlfriend to impress the internet

Why don't you gently caress off
lol this goon is mad

Crash74
May 11, 2009
What is that? seraphs "girlfriend***"?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

seraph, why do you enjoy negative attention so much?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
"Am I missing something?"

Just a game, sir. As you were.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

KiddieGrinder posted:

I heard a story about Seraph once, about how his girlfriend broke up with him.

She said "You're a paedophile, I heard all about it, it's over!", and Seraph retorted "Paedophile huh? That's an awfully big word for an eleven year old to understand!"

:boom:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

G0RF posted:

"Am I missing something?"

Just a game, sir. As you were.

8 people downvoted the person for asking an honest and genuine question. Such a wonderful community.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

OhDearGodNo posted:

8 people downvoted the person for asking an honest and genuine question. Such a wonderful community.

might be a goon, can't take any chances

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I'm not a pedophile I'm an epedophile.

Trolololowned
Nov 8, 2015

by Lowtax

Google Butt posted:

seraph, why do you enjoy negative attention so much?
I receive constant negative attention from my own shattered psyche. Almost any external attention - positive or negative - is preferable to that hell.

Thank you for asking, it feels good to be treated like a human being. Hey, do you like candy? I love candy - especially dark chocolate.

Decrepus posted:

I'm not a pedophile I'm an epedophile.
I just play one on the internet (apparently).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
trying too hard

Trolololowned
Nov 8, 2015

by Lowtax

Eonwe posted:

trying too hard
Don't make me change your av back to the KKK. We all saw how deep that cut you. White guilt much, liberal scum?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
seraph who did you molest was it a sibling or a cousin

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trolololowned posted:

Don't make me change your av back to the KKK. We all saw how deep that cut you. White guilt much, liberal scum?

i actually literally cried when it happened

Trolololowned
Nov 8, 2015

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

seraph who did you molest was it a sibling or a cousin
Honestly you guys the pedo accusation thing was funny at first but it's a little played out at this point. Either put up some evidence or move on to a novel avenue of attack.

Is this fiction you've constructed truly my only weakness, or are you just reaching for the lowest of all possible hanging fruit?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This thread was literally better when Derek was telling us why it was ok to have a chat with a neo nazi

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Trolololowned posted:

Honestly you guys the pedo accusation thing was funny at first but it's a little played out at this point. Either put up some evidence or move on to a novel avenue of attack.

Is this fiction you've constructed truly my only weakness, or are you just reaching for the lowest of all possible hanging fruit?

:aatrek:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Trolololowned posted:

Honestly you guys the pedo accusation thing was funny at first but it's a little played out at this point.

It's pretty hosed up that you find this sort of thing funny given your history.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Trolololowned posted:

Don't look at us duder

You reached for the fruits of your eleven year old cousin

Doesn't get much lower, does it?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Seraph, the only minor inconvenience your constant reregging brings is having to click the ignore button as soon as we realize it is you again.

Save the money for the next 10 reregs, take your GF out to dinner.
This is the internet, there are better uses of your time to be found in the real world.
Just a well meaning suggestion.

(Needless to say I will put you on ignore in 3, 2, 1...)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I mean, she's like four feet tall

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he is trying way way too hard honestly

less funny than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position