Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Looks like release was pushed 2 hours (CET), according to the steam store page.
How reliable is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm glad aliens in fallout trigger some goons

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Uh yeah? If you didn't take Whacky Wasteland you'd never see aliens in New Vegas, it's almost like that was the best option??????? Have a setting for people who don't want to see the stupid references that game devs think are clever.

Fallout, as in the literal act game itself, is pop culture references. That is the point. It's half Mad Max references and half goofy Americana. Fallout 2 makes it a lot more blatant and straightforward with Austin Powers and Pinky and the Brain but the setting as it exists is "what if Mad Max happened in goofy nuclear-future America?" There are some cool sets of worldbuilding but they are worldbuilding around a fundamentally silly and tongue-in-cheek setting.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Uh yeah? If you didn't take Whacky Wasteland you'd never see aliens in New Vegas, it's almost like that was the best option??????? Have a setting for people who don't want to see the stupid references that game devs think are clever.
as a serious smart gamer i

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Real hurthling! posted:

fallout poo poo in fallout? wtf!

It's not that they're in there, it's that the explanations don't make sense. The super mutants in FO3 are vault-tec FEV experiments just because you need super mutants. The Enclave are there because you need the Fallout bad guys. The BoS are there because you need Fallout good guys (they were not good in the earlier Fallouts). I'm saying it's derivative because they're taking things from the earlier games and just retreading ground, instead of doing something new and innovative.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you hate the silly references in Fallout do not agree with me because you don't understand Fallout.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hahah Maccready is still a little poo poo

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

frajaq posted:

MacCready you gently caress go back to Little Lamplight Big Town.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

It's not that they're in there, it's that the explanations don't make sense. The super mutants in FO3 are vault-tec FEV experiments just because you need super mutants. The Enclave are there because you need the Fallout bad guys. The BoS are there because you need Fallout good guys (they were not good in the earlier Fallouts). I'm saying it's derivative because they're taking things from the earlier games and just retreading ground, instead of doing something new and innovative.

This is sort of a no-win situation though. If they made Fallout 3 but didn't have super mutants or ghouls or any references to the previous factions they''d have been met with "see, they don't get Fallout, they just made their own setting and called it Fallout!" For good or ill all those things are considered fairly iconic to Fallout. They could certainly come up with better ways to explain them but not having them would run into a similar problem.

frajaq posted:

Huh. That chart is probably somewhat wrong because I know that isn't MacCready's like/dislike chart. Dude tossed out tons of happy points when I bilked people for caps.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 9, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Buschmaki posted:

And goombas in Mario are mushroom kingdom citizens transformed by bowser but show up in the games set outside the mushroom kingdom, what's up with that?

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

frajaq posted:

maccready is the only realistic companion

"im just around you because you shoot things and have big guts, dont take drugs or solve things with your words just keep killing"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Piper doesn't like violence or peace? :confused:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lotish posted:

So don't go in that cave that has the alien in it? Boom, no alien.

Point is all the games have had goofy one off alien poo poo. It's a tradition like the Silent Hill UFO ending. It's not a big deal.

It's a little tough to explain exactly why I feel like it's so dumb that they keep bringing them up--in FO1 they were just a goofy non-interactable joke, perfectly in keeping with the rest of the goofy non-interactable jokes, but it seems like Bethesda saw that one random encounter and said "OH okay, so there's aliens in this universe.. We should put some in, pew-pew!" and then physically had them show up and have a unique weapon. Ok, still goofy but a little more interactable. I'm on board. Then they said "what about MORE ALIENS!" and made a terrible DLC that's like explicitly alien-focused. And now they're showing up again. It just feels like they didn't Get that the initial joke was a one-off "haha, how silly!" thing

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Yeah, that's true. It's easy to criticize Fallout 3 because I know what I don't like about the setting, but if you pressed me to come up with a better one I couldn't do it. Obsidian definitely had the easier job developing Fallout New Vegas because so many things in the West Coast have been fleshed out, while Bethesda had to make an entirely new East Coast while keeping the same elements. That's why I hope they do something interesting with Synths, the Institute, and the Minutemen in 4, because it's giving them a chance to add their own unique contribution.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And goombas in Mario are mushroom kingdom citizens transformed by bowser but show up in the games set outside the mushroom kingdom, what's up with that?

Mario isn't an RPG with a heavy focus on story.

e: Unless you're talking about the Super Mario RPG, which specifically takes place somewhere else so it doesn't run into those problems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lotish posted:

Piper doesn't like violence or peace? :confused:

I'm pretty sure that chart is kind of hosed up or from an earlier version or something. There's a lot straight-up wrong on it. (Deacon isn't universally positive on nice/mean responses for example.)

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

gasman posted:

Looks like release was pushed 2 hours (CET), according to the steam store page.
How reliable is that?

It's reliable, Bethesda just tweeted about it. That means that the VPN unlock won't be until 8EST now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

It's a little tough to explain exactly why I feel like it's so dumb that they keep bringing them up--in FO1 they were just a goofy non-interactable joke, perfectly in keeping with the rest of the goofy non-interactable jokes, but it seems like Bethesda saw that one random encounter and said "OH okay, so there's aliens in this universe.. We should put some in, pew-pew!" and then physically had them show up and have a unique weapon. Ok, still goofy but a little more interactable. I'm on board. Then they said "what about MORE ALIENS!" and made a terrible DLC that's like explicitly alien-focused. And now they're showing up again. It just feels like they didn't Get that the initial joke was a one-off "haha, how silly!" thing

Okay, I can feel where you're coming from, and I might even chime in with you if they decide to make a romanceable grey companion.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Why is everyone who is down with violence dislike being mean to people.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

frajaq posted:

Maccready hates it when you're nice, but also hates it when you're mean? Cait likes it when you're selfish and violent, but hates it when you're generous, peaceful, and....mean? Valentine doesn't like peace or violence, but loves being mean and nice? I don't understand this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

then physically had them show up and have a unique weapon.

The Alien Blaster was in Fallout 1 and 2!

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
i am SO ready to play this video game

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Why is everyone who is down with violence dislike being mean to people.

all or nothing

Noctis Horrendae posted:

i am SO ready to play this video game
affirmative

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

VanillaGorilla posted:

It's reliable, Bethesda just tweeted about it. That means that the VPN unlock won't be until 8EST now.

That was only NZ, yes, but on the store page it looks like they pushed all timezones 2 hours.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Vargs posted:

Maccready hates it when you're nice, but also hates it when you're mean? Cait likes it when you're selfish and violent, but hates it when you're generous, peaceful, and....mean? Valentine doesn't like peace or violence, but loves being mean and nice? I don't understand this.

Truly these are the most complicated, layered, and well written characters in gaming's history. Guess we gotta just play the game to understand their depth.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

Yeah that chart is really weird. Also, I'm pretty sure Piper doesn't mind peaceful options.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vargs posted:

The chart is really bad.

MacCready hates it if you're nice when it comes to profit. He hates it if you're mean in stupid or unprofitable ways. The dude's gimmick is basically "is this making us money Y/N? If Y then I like it."

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Stealth is extremely powerful in the usual Bethesda way. Absurd critical damage and if you're smart you can gain it to entire rooms. There are several companion perks that make it even more absurd including one I'm convinced is glitched in the player's favor. You can find armor layers that give you abilities like "become stealthed when not moving" as well.

Yay I love stealth in these games and honestly don't even care if stuff is OP I just find in satisfying for some reason.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

MacCready hates it if you're nice when it comes to profit. He hates it if you're mean in stupid or unprofitable ways. The dude's gimmick is basically "is this making us money Y/N? If Y then I like it."

Finally a companion that reflects what all RPG players are always thinking in their head: "Am I going to be rewarded for this?"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

widespread posted:

MacCready you gently caress go back to Little Lamplight Big Town.
I just wish he grew up to be voiced by Kurt Russel, I mean I would finally be okay with Bethesda stunt casting if that had happened.

Speaking of which I wonder if Bethesda learned New Vegas lesson in hiring TV/B-movie actors over one A-list actor that kills the budget

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Seashell Salesman posted:

Yay I love stealth in these games and honestly don't even care if stuff is OP I just find in satisfying for some reason.

I haven't played a non-stealth, long-range shooter in any of these games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

i am harry posted:

I did in New Vegas but that is because New Vegas made it totally viable to never touch a combat stat ever. That was awesome.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Where are the pictures of the strat guide coming from? I thought it was a thread on reddit but I couldn't find it on /r/fo4.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

i am harry posted:

I go with the typical overpowered stealth sniper in all of Bethesda's games, but I think I'm going to finally break away from that for this one. Heavy Guns + Explosives all the way.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I've never used a VPN. Anyone have a link to one I should use?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Seashell Salesman posted:

Where are the pictures of the strat guide coming from? I thought it was a thread on reddit but I couldn't find it on /r/fo4.

Some guy on 4chan got the strategy guide early I believe and was posting the blurry phone images in their thread.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cait is going to be an awesome drinking partner/pack-mule.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I heard Piper just wants to be there when you discover new things as she's all about writing in her paper, but maybe those images are wrong?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fergus posted:

I've never used a VPN. Anyone have a link to one I should use?

Somebody linked this one earlier, you can sign up for a 500 meg a month free option. https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

1. Preload FO 4 on steam normally.

2. When it unlocks in New Zealand disconnect from Steam.

3. Use the VPN program to use their New Zealand server.

4. Connect back to Steam, it should unlock FO 4.

5. Once it's unlocked go into steam offline mode.

6. Post screenshots of crazy glitches in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Somebody linked this one earlier, you can sign up for a 500 meg a month free option. https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

1. Preload FO 4 on steam normally.

2. When it unlocks in New Zealand disconnect from Steam.

3. Use the VPN program to use their New Zealand server.

4. Connect back to Steam, it should unlock FO 4.

5. Once it's unlocked go into steam offline mode.

6. Post screenshots of crazy glitches in this thread.

Awesome, cheers mate.

• Locked thread