Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are the resistance traits worth investing in (Toughness and Refractor)? I don't know what Fallout 4's damage/defense scale looks like so I don't know if 50 Damage/Energy resistance is a big deal compared to what you can just get on armor or not.

sector_corrector posted:

Hmm, it's almost like totally ignoring speech as a game mechanic makes CHA a useless dump stat.

Oh, wait, I forgot, "You're mentally disabled if you use gear to meet speech checks instead of playing the game, brokenly, like Bethesda intended."

If you use gear to meet speech checks with a low-Charisma character, your character just cleans up real nice. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Hmm, it's almost like totally ignoring speech as a game mechanic makes CHA a useless dump stat.

Oh, wait, I forgot, "You're mentally disabled if you use gear to meet speech checks instead of playing the game, brokenly, like Bethesda intended."

CHA to pass speech checks is still a thing. The big issue (and this is my #1 complaint about the game) is that it's either a flat CHA check or nothing. There's no "I have Science!, I can repair your thing" or "I have stealth, let me recommend a different plan" or even "I have Intelligence, I can figure out Three Dog fights the good fight." That is the biggest loss in this game and by far the thing I was most unhappy about. Even in the simplistic Bethesda way instead of the New Vegas way I'd rather it be in than not.

And the weird thing is there are places where it seems like they wanted to do that? Like there's a quiz you get where you're asked to answer questions and one of them since a "Science!" answer but you can pick it without any levels in Science!

Harrow posted:

Are the resistance traits worth investing in (Toughness and Refractor)? I don't know what Fallout 4's damage/defense scale looks like so I don't know if 50 Damage/Energy resistance is a big deal compared to what you can just get on armor or not.

I really don't think so. I played with 1 END and just equipping armor was enough to get me through tough fights even without power armor.

Keep in mind that armor now can be layered if you're using a thin piece of base armor. (I stick with the minuteman suit for most of the game, it gives +1 AGI and +1 PER.) So you can actually create some really absurd armor combinations. You can also use pre-defined armor suits but I think they're less useful aside from CHA-boosting. The only annoying thing is that you can't save armor sets so you have to re-equip each piece of armor every time you take them off.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 9, 2015

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

TerminalBlue posted:

Holy poo poo.

I just alt-tabbed and it worked flawlessly.

A loving Bethesda game let me alt-tab.

Is this the real world? Am I dead? Somebody hold me.

yes this blew my loving mind too man

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

CHA to pass speech checks is still a thing. The big issue (and this is my #1 complaint about the game) is that it's either a flat CHA check or nothing. There's no "I have Science!, I can repair your thing" or "I have stealth, let me recommend a different plan" or even "I have Intelligence, I can figure out Three Dog fights the good fight." That is the biggest loss in this game and by far the thing I was most unhappy about. Even in the simplistic Bethesda way instead of the New Vegas way I'd rather it be in than not.

And the weird thing is there are places where it seems like they wanted to do that? Like there's a quiz you get where you're asked to answer questions and one of them since a "Science!" answer but you can pick it without any levels in Science!

Yeah, that's what really bums me out and makes me feel like this is going to be good for one playthrough and that's all. Having skill-based dialog checks is tons of fun. Remember getting to do Caesar's brain surgery yourself if you had 75 Medicine in New Vegas? Or blundering through it on dumb luck if you had 9 Luck and getting the "I have no idea how I did that" dialog option after? That poo poo was fun and made me want to play through the game with different character builds just to see what other crazy poo poo I could do in quests.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Alrighty time to get into this poo poo, it's been nice knowing you guys.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

kuroiXiru posted:

That's the thing though, I've had an amazing time with SLI since I got my cards a bit over a year ago. This is the first time that a game I wanted to get launched without support for it (second if you count Divinity Enhanced, but that game doesn't actually need it).

Even AC: Unity, with its many many many performance problems, had decent SLI support.

SLI support usually works in AAA titles. It's far too risky for nvidia not to have it. FO4 is indeed one of the first major gently caress ups in quite some time. It's when you venture out of AAA safe space that lack of SLI starts becoming a problem. Unfortunately more and more good games are released by indie devs these days and those will never see any SLI support.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Good thing my vpn decided to poo poo itself and gets stuck connecting to aus. Gee i wonder why

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
13 hours and 46 minutes until I can play. I'm so stoked.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RC Cola posted:

13 hours and 46 minutes until I can play. I'm so stoked.
I'm sorry for your terrible connection

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I need help, do I go melee or energy weapons?
I almost always play a stealth small guns guy in these, but I want to do something different. I want to suit up in power armor and just charge in killing people. Melee seems fun, but like it might get old quick. The good perks are also spread across a lot of different special.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me
Is there a guide to character building I can read? Or can someone provide general tips? This is a lot different than the older games. No skills!? Perks only require one stat?

How many ways are their to permanently raise stats? Bobbleheads, I'm sure. Surgery, too? I remember it being a waste to start with a stat at 10, or even 9 in many cases because of bobbleheads and surgery. But you also needed X Endurance to get so-many surgeries.

I just joined this thread, so I have not read all 600 pages. :)

I'm definitely a min-maxer kind of player. It was fun making god builds in FO3 with 10 INT and a million skill points. It seems like that's not a thing, now, due to there not being skills.

Ichabod
Dec 17, 2003

nfthree posted:

I went to the PlayStation store to see if the game had preloaded this morning and it showed a countdown timer to game release. Does that mean the game is preloaded? I didn't see a notification about it being downloaded or installed.

Do you see the F4 icon in your main dash with the timer? If so then yes it preloaded. You can also go to settings>storage management and you can see if the 32GB install is sitting there.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

TerminalBlue posted:

Holy poo poo.

I just alt-tabbed and it worked flawlessly.

A loving Bethesda game let me alt-tab.

Is this the real world? Am I dead? Somebody hold me.

GOTY

Soral
May 30, 2009

Frankenoodle posted:

Is there a guide to character building I can read? Or can someone provide general tips? This is a lot different than the older games. No skills!? Perks only require one stat?

How many ways are their to permanently raise stats? Bobbleheads, I'm sure. Surgery, too? I remember it being a waste to start with a stat at 10, or even 9 in many cases because of bobbleheads and surgery. But you also needed X Endurance to get so-many surgeries.

I'm definitely a min-maxer kind of player. It was fun making god builds in FO3 with 10 INT and a million skill points. It seems like that's not a thing, now, due to there not being skills.

the game is designed to be played by small children and the mentally impaired so if youre thinking about "builds" and "planning" going in youre already putting more thought into character creation than anyone at bethesda did

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone able to predict whether I'll be able to run this on a Core 2 Quad Q8300? :saddowns: I'm an idiot optimistic

EDIT: Also is there a borderless fullscreen option? Has bethesda finally joined the rest of the industry in realizing regular fullscreen loving sucks?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

The only location I can get ANY VPN to connect to is Perth - AU, load Steam, everything is still in the US. Try and change my account to be in Australia region but the only thing that pops up is Singapore... wtf?!

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
lol my character keeps randomly turning around in the third person convo view

and an animation bug prevented me from reloading my gun so I literally had to run away from a rad roach

GOTY

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Just hit the first allocation of points in the game. Paralysed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I left the vault and was trying to shoot some mosquitos and the game hard crashed on me.

I haven't even fuckin done anything yet

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I already preloaded. Now all I have to do is "unpack," shouldn't take too long...

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Trujillo posted:

I already preloaded. Now all I have to do is "unpack"

They might have fixed the bugs by then!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hmm, connected to NZ VPN, but it still says PRELOAD COMPLETE; UNRELEASED even after I changed my store zone to NZ and restarted Steam. Is there another step?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So after a few hours I can conclude: this is definitely a Bethesda game.

The major bugs for me is that subtitles tend to "stick" and show parts of previous lines in the conversation, in addition to a bug where the convAlso I'm playing on Ultra with a 980GTX and an i5-3550, and it definitely seems like there is some issue with indoor locations. While it generally seems like interiors have slightly lower FPS, using the Pip-Boy light instantly gives me a huge frame drop.

Also the mouse/keyboard UI is garbage, as expected. Way too many things use enter and arrow keys instead of WASD, and it's like 100% random whether you exit a menu with tab or escape.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Frankenoodle posted:

There are SPECIAL bobbleheads, yeah.

You can grind a perk point to increase SPECIAL. This is actually intended because you're not gonna get to 10 in every stat immediately. Some perks have multiple ranks and the higher ranks require you to be a minimum level. While you can, say, have Strength 10 right at the start of the game and get the first rank of its 10-Strength perk (it lets you charge like a freight train while in power armor), rank 2 and 3 require you to be at, like, level 20 and 50.

According to the perk chart, Level 10 Luck's perk is something that randomly makes enemies accidentally shoot and kill themselves. I need to see this in action!

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

mackintosh posted:

SLI support usually works in AAA titles. It's far too risky for nvidia not to have it. FO4 is indeed one of the first major gently caress ups in quite some time. It's when you venture out of AAA safe space that lack of SLI starts becoming a problem. Unfortunately more and more good games are released by indie devs these days and those will never see any SLI support.

I didn't have trouble running indie games with a single card though, but I guess that'll change when all the Unreal Engine 4/Unity 5 indies start coming out.

Yeah, I'm probably going back to a single-card setup once next-gen rolls around.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think this time around I'm gonna make a melee sneaker with splashing into energy weapons, because I like the idea of a dude who creeps around with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire, but then when poo poo gets real he has a plasma rifle because gently caress everything

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

ymgve posted:

Also the mouse/keyboard UI is garbage, as expected. Way too many things use enter and arrow keys instead of WASD, and it's like 100% random whether you exit a menu with tab or escape.

I'm hoping that we'll see the equivalent of SkyUI relatively quickly from the modding community.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ok I've been playing for about two hours now and I'm already getting completely sucked in.

If you liked fallout 3 / NV despite it's flaws, you will like this a lot. If you thought the engine limitations, bugs, etc. were horrible you might not enjoy this.

It's extremely a fallout game, and stuff like character movement, expressions are really similar to the previous games.

Personally I love it a- OH gently caress poo poo BRB

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Speedball posted:

According to the perk chart, Level 10 Luck's perk is something that randomly makes enemies accidentally shoot and kill themselves. I need to see this in action!

Bethesda's game design pipeline: take hilarious bugs and incorporate them into the perk tree.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Hmm, connected to NZ VPN, but it still says PRELOAD COMPLETE; UNRELEASED even after I changed my store zone to NZ and restarted Steam. Is there another step?

I'm here as well.

Edit: every time I restart steam it automatically changes my region back to lovely ol USA.

I've even tried changing my region through a web browser, but the steam client does not "accept" that change, even after deleting my Steam config file.

Fuk u gaben.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm sorry for your terrible connection

Not all of us are pirates, it doesn't unlock on Steam til midnight

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Amazon is telling me that my copy will get here tomorrow, Tuesday the 10th, on time Wednesday the 11th

:psyduck:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cession posted:

I'm here as well.

Edit: every time I restart steam it automatically changes my region back to lovely ol USA.

I've even tried changing my region through a web browser, but the steam client does not "accept" that change, even after deleting my Steam config file.

Fuk u gaben.

Yeah, I noticed this. I change my store region to the other option, AUSTRALIA, but when I restart Steam it somehow knows I am a stinking American :[

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Azhais posted:

lol ur gay

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I'm considering Energy Weapons for the first time ever in a Fallout game, but are they worth it? In the past they've been way too scarce or too much of a hassle to deal with that regular guns were the clearly superior option.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So uh, anyone know where the food is for sanctuary I am suppose to plant for their needy asses? Do I have to explore for a farm?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Also, I haven't done extensive testing, but it seems like when you consume raw items to build stuff (Like using a desk fan for something that requires steel), the unused parts will go straight to your workbench. So in theory you shouldn't worry about scrapping all items manually.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, I noticed this. I change my store region to the other option, AUSTRALIA, but when I restart Steam it somehow knows I am a stinking American :[

Yup. Same here, finally got Steam to recognize that I'm in AU, but it won't save the change and it won't load Fallout :(

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Azhais posted:

I didn't know that pirating meant that you paid 60 bucks for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frankenoodle posted:

Bobbleheads. You can also spend perk points to permanently raise your SPECIAL stats.

Frankenoodle posted:

There's no level cap and Intelligence gives you a bonus to the amount of XP you earn from anything that gives you XP. That means that, hypothetically, a character with high Intelligence will end up with more perk points overall than a character with low Intelligence, because there's a finite amount of quest XP available in-game and high Intelligence means you get more of it. So you still kind of get that whole "you get more skills with high Intelligence" thing, it's just less pronounced.

• Locked thread