Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Argh I just died fighting Isaac with ???, trying to unlock the D6, and I had such a good run going. I went into the fight with 8 hearts, The Empress card, lil brimstone, harlequin baby, and bunch of other good stuff. Plus I had a dark bum and the crystal ball for most of the run. Hard to top the items I got and I died, drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Has there been a fix yet for the flooded caves making the floors invisible? It's getting super annoying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Power of Pecota posted:

Has there been a fix yet for the flooded caves making the floors invisible? It's getting super annoying.

There's been a fix since they day people figured out it was broken. The first solution is specifically for Mac because Windows PCs don't usually have the issue, but if you are on PC, the second solution will still work except that config.ini is in your My Documents folder.

from reddit posted:

Second edit:
Someone posted a fix for this that works fine on my MacBook. Add the line
EnableWaterSurface=0
to the following file:
/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/The\ Binding\ of\ Isaac\ Rebirth/The\ Binding\ of\ Isaac\ Rebirth.app/Contents/Resources/resources/config.ini

Or edit the settings located under Performance issues, or shader problems.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 9, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

null posted:

Argh I just died fighting Isaac with ???, trying to unlock the D6, and I had such a good run going. I went into the fight with 8 hearts, The Empress card, lil brimstone, harlequin baby, and bunch of other good stuff. Plus I had a dark bum and the crystal ball for most of the run. Hard to top the items I got and I died, drat it.

Unless I am making GBS threads out unreasonably huge damage, "good" runs are always the ones I fail. Getting a ton of items with crap synergy but a very high RoF? Let's kill Hush before lunch.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has anyone figured out the ultra greed/hush hp scaling yet?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Tetracube posted:

Has anyone figured out the ultra greed/hush hp scaling yet?

Far as I can tell it's time based. You can only do so much damage before it starts aggressively reducing the damage you deal, and if you stop doing damage for a while it'll let you do it all at full strength.
I'm sure someone in the modding subreddit has exact info.
https://www.reddit.com/r/themoddingofisaac/comments/3rh9ks/ultra_greed_damage_scaling/

Einwand fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 9, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lol I wasn't expecting to get to hush so I used my box against mom's heart and was stuck with just incubus and lil'brimstone (aka "the reason I didn't die")

that hush fight as lilith took forever. thank gently caress for all those half hearts laying around the arena. at least now I have it lives unlocked so I can go to the real end game, which is what I wanted to happen but the satan door didn't pop up :sigh:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

when will mega satan get hp scaling

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

I feel like this might not even work with Ultra Greed with how much he repositions + the self-heal.

Actually you can do it with gnawed leaf and a single orbital. If you get between him and the south wall during a charge attack, he'll be unable to do anything but charge into your orbital and die slowly.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Unless I am making GBS threads out unreasonably huge damage, "good" runs are always the ones I fail. Getting a ton of items with crap synergy but a very high RoF? Let's kill Hush before lunch.

I did another run where I was making GBS threads out unreasonably huge damage, and beat Isaac with ??? :). I had insanely fast rof/damage, I used diplopia to duplicate cat-o-nine-tails, and had a lot of other good stuff. I got lost contact and that combined with huge tears and a high rof ended up shielding me.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I really like the fact that there are now a couple of bosses in the game where you have to kind of knuckle down no matter how strong you are. I wouldn't want this to be commonplace, but having 2 is good.

Also just tried the Blue Bomber challenge. I pretty much got my rear end kicked but man that was fun. It's hard for the right reason. It's fast paced but positioning yourself is tricky at times. Compare this to something like the solar system challenge where every single room is just a monotonous grind.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I don't mind Ultra Greed having the damage scaling but with the Hush I don't like it because I know I'll never go for the extra 2-5 items I'll get in the Blue Womb because I know I'll never want to spend the 5-8 extra minutes dealing with Hush.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
A friend got me Afterbirth, and it seems ok. Is there any way to cheat to unlock The Lost and Lilith, because I really don't like playing Azazel. It's not hard, it's just tedious charging his laser.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

I feel like this might not even work with Ultra Greed with how much he repositions + the self-heal.

I had a similar setup for Hush earlier and he can sometimes (he did it in 5 of 6 Dead Cat lives) hit a phase near the end where he goes underground and spawns polyps and won't come out until you kill them all. He spawns them almost instantly when one dies so if your familiars can't kill them fast enough, you can't continue the fight.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like both of the new bosses

or rather, they would be really cool if they had less health. mechanically I find them interesting but it just takes too long to take them out. hush especially

This is how I feel, they are both mechanically sound and enjoyable fights but they take like 10 times too long. Personally I don't feel that it's good game design to have a run be 25% one boss fight.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Probably the best deal I've seen in greed mode:

Has anyone ever found the dollar for sale in greed mode?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think my major problem with Ultra Greed is that I don't really feel like the fight lasting longer adds much to it. His fight doesn't really scale very well as it goes on and he isn't challenging enough to really feel like it's a race between who will win. Hush is fine because Hush scales up and it becomes a legitimate challenge to take him down. Ultra Greed? Meh. Even with the changes and nerfs to the fight he's tanky more than hard.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Sanctum posted:

Probably the best deal I've seen in greed mode:

Has anyone ever found the dollar for sale in greed mode?

I've played entirely too much greed mode 800~ pennies in the machine, kill me and never seen it, so I'm pretty sure items that aren't in any item pool normally, see key pieces, dollar, polaroid/negative simply can't show up period.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

It's great that two steam sales now means free shop items for ever. If you get the restock item, you're basically guaranteed to destroy the game, as Chaos is bound to show up in the shop if you just keep removing items from the pool. Then you can basically get any item in the game.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Greed Mode is so boring. Same path, every time, minor differences to enemy waves, lovely HP-sponge boss at the end. Just crossed 160 coins in the machine. This is gonna be a long haul, isn't it?

Though I'll say this for it - you do get some interesting item combos you don't normally see. I had Soy Milk, Tractor Beam, Death's Touch, and magnet tears and even though it took ages and was super dangerous when Ultra Greed started charging, it was pretty amazing to see in action. The enemies typically got stuck around the middle of the beam of tears, unable to move. Do a sweep of the area to suck them in like you were a Ghostbuster and they can't get out.

That said, holy gently caress something in that combination was making Scolex absolutely poo poo himself. I guess it was the magnet tears? If you're firing when he pops out, he bounces all over the place and his segments all come apart. They made me fight three. :mad:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I wish Chaos was a starting item for someone. It's a fun passive and that poo poo eating grin it gives Isaac is great.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Greed Mode is so boring. Same path, every time, minor differences to enemy waves, lovely HP-sponge boss at the end.

I half agree. I think Greed Mode itself is pretty poo poo, but it has the coolest boss in the whole game attached to it. I hope they add Ultra Greed to normal mode as an optional boss in the future.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Panniculus Rift posted:

It's great that two steam sales now means free shop items for ever. If you get the restock item, you're basically guaranteed to destroy the game, as Chaos is bound to show up in the shop if you just keep removing items from the pool. Then you can basically get any item in the game.

And then you pick up Missing No by accident and ruin everything. In two different runs. :(

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm probably late to the party here, but I just found out the reroll machines in treasure rooms work with all pedestals in the room. Bring your temperance and judgement cards and get some good poo poo.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I wish Chaos was a starting item for someone. It's a fun passive and that poo poo eating grin it gives Isaac is great.
Yeah I miss all item pool runs using spidermod in WotL. I'd love a bunch of eden seeds that start with chaos. I'd also love the ability to remove experimental treatment and bob's brain from all item pools, I remember doing that for chocolate milk and something else in spidermod.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Just lost an hour of getting every drat item after getting a restock with Humbe Bundle and Life Savings when I eventually crashed the game with Succubus, Dr. Fetus, Cluster Bombs, Mutant Spider, Hot Bombs, Mom's Eye, Sad Bombs, and Glitter Bombs.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Jibo posted:

Just lost an hour of getting every drat item after getting a restock with Humbe Bundle and Life Savings when I eventually crashed the game with Succubus, Dr. Fetus, Cluster Bombs, Mutant Spider, Hot Bombs, Mom's Eye, Sad Bombs, and Glitter Bombs.

Hot tip, if you exit out of a run it forcibly creates a temp save to continue off of in future, which it'll use if you crash or alt+F4 out while dieing but not at the "today I died" screen.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Einwand posted:

Hot tip, if you exit out of a run it forcibly creates a temp save to continue off of in future, which it'll use if you crash or alt+F4 out while dieing but not at the "today I died" screen.

Not always. I was watching Richard Hammer make a completely ridiculous build last week and chat kept telling him to force a save like that in case he crashed. Eventually he did and the continue option just wasn't there. Like, he exited the game and it only said 'new game' on the main menu, he didn't crash.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So they definitely didn't test the new bosses with the old challenges. I've only got two left and I can tell they're going to be absolute nightmares.

How in the flying gently caress are you even supposed to beat double trouble frail on Beans!

Also spent a good two hours I should've been asleep grinding out Lost runs to try and get at least something on the post-it note. At this rate I'll just get an RPG save because I am absolutely sick of resetting for half an hour and dying on like caves 2 or something. I can't even beat mom with him.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Have fun if you run into Dangle on Beans! He's healed by Butt Bombs.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's annoying that defeating hush the first time will force my run to end, don't want to waste this run so I guess I'm just not doing hush until I'm playing a character I don't need any progression on.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 9, 2015

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LibbyM posted:

It's annoying that defeating hush the first time will force my run to end, don't want to waste this run so I guess I'm just not doing hush until I'm playing a character I don't need any progression on.

I mean it should be easier to do Satan/Dark Room/Mega Satan or Isaac/???/Mega Satan than to do Hush

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Finally killed Hush, thanks to the Chaos Card :v:

..Fart baby..? I unlocked..a fart baby??

i am so mad right now

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

BillmasterCozb posted:

Finally killed Hush, thanks to the Chaos Card :v:

..Fart baby..? I unlocked..a fart baby??

i am so mad right now

Making you the true fart baby

:edmund:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fart Baby owns, he's no Dry Baby but the shot blocking familiars are all great.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://bindingofisaac.com/post/132875425114/the-good-the-bad-and-the-daily

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Nice to hear they're making some changes to the particularly annoying challenges. Glad I held off on doing them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The defensiveness is getting real old real fast. "What, I didn't give straight answers and people misunderstood my intentions? How could I have ever foreseen this?"

Otherwise I'm glad to see they're adjusting things.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Is anyone else having trouble deciding whether to go for overall score or the time rank in the daily challenges? My rank is absolutely abysmal whenever I try to accumulate my score and I seem to have way more success with just speed running. Do people with a high score spend hours farming for items or what's the deal?

I was pretty stoked about the dailies before, but now I'm not so sure. I have more fun trying to beat them quickly, but thanks to the RNG nature of the game your run is determined by the wrong/right paths you take.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The problem with ultra greed isn't that he's tanky, if a fight is interesting enough it's ok to be tanky. Ala Hush. The problem is that none of his attacks are hard.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The defensiveness is getting real old real fast. "What, I didn't give straight answers and people misunderstood my intentions? How could I have ever foreseen this?"

Otherwise I'm glad to see they're adjusting things.

To me it all reads as pretty insincere given his general attitude in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Wugga posted:

Is anyone else having trouble deciding whether to go for overall score or the time rank in the daily challenges? My rank is absolutely abysmal whenever I try to accumulate my score and I seem to have way more success with just speed running. Do people with a high score spend hours farming for items or what's the deal?

I was pretty stoked about the dailies before, but now I'm not so sure. I have more fun trying to beat them quickly, but thanks to the RNG nature of the game your run is determined by the wrong/right paths you take.

The dailies are seeded and you can do practice runs. You could, if you want to be insane about it, take your time to explore every room thoroughly, write it all down, map out the most valuable path, and do your optimized run on the actual daily.