Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Is it still 40 total SPECIAL points to distribute at the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
What's the button to open the console? tilde doesn't work.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

I've been kinda anxious how well my system will run it, I have GTX 960 (4GB) with i5-2500 3.3ghz and 8GB. If anything the CPU could be a bottleneck but I'm hearing good things about optimization, so I'm hoping I'll get the actual game soon.

I doubt'll be an issue. Really even at stock the 2500 should be able to run the game without being a bottleneck.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its a shame bloody mess was removed.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

The Berzerker posted:

Is it still 40 total SPECIAL points to distribute at the start?

21, not including the 1 per SPECIAL you get for free.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
PROFIXES FOR PROGAMERS:

Grab the fallout 4 video drivers. Here's nvidia. If you have AMD, you may want to feel bad about yourself

corresponding tweak guide if you are willing to spend 5 minutes for 5 more frames:

Here is a steam community guide to tweak various poo poo if you are at work and not playing fallout 4 but want to pretend you are:

QUICK FIXES FOR DUDES THAT FINISH QUICK:

ipresentinterval=0 if you are running gsync or hate input delay or hate everything. Makes your camera act less sluggish and drunk. - change the value from 1 to 0
bmouseacceleration=0 because bethesda. If you think having this on in any game is fine, i will fight you. used by all MLG skyrimmers. add the line under the [Controls] header in config files below

apply these (or other) fixes to the .ini's below until we figure out what shenanigan config file priority system bethesda is using this time:
fallout4.ini (my docs>my games), fallout4prefs.ini (my docs>my games), fallout4default.ini (steam fallout4 folder)

Potentially gamesaving fix:
Ingame terminals may or may not work if you run 120hz+. Cap your framerate to 110 or lower with rivatuner or some poo poo and you won't get permastuck staring at computers in your computer game. Also loving with vsync may help if you want to go the extra mile

lewtt fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 9, 2015

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
I've just managed to start unpacking with the New Zealand server on VyprVPN, maybe worth a try if you're having issues with other VPNs.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Harrow posted:

Bobbleheads. You can also spend perk points to permanently raise your SPECIAL stats.

There's no level cap and Intelligence gives you a bonus to the amount of XP you earn from anything that gives you XP... there's a finite amount of quest XP available in-game and high Intelligence means you get more of it.

Thanks! So, each time you earn a perk point you can spend it on SPECIAL stats instead? With no limit? That's an interesting trade-off. Using perk points to enable to you to get better perks. EDIT: Oh wait, that's not even new. The old Intense Training perk could do it, but it was generally not worth it.

Question to anyone, is it silly to take 8 in three stats and 1 in the rest. I used to really enjoy hacking computers, picking locks, sniping, and sneaking. Sort of a spy type character. Looking at the perk chart, I want at least 8 INT, and 8 PER, and a 7 AGI. That only leaves one point. I'll have a very low STR and wont' be able to carry around jack, probably. I don't necessarily care about CHA checks or Luck.

Frankenoodle fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 9, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Its a shame bloody mess was removed.

it's supposed to still be one of the luck perks?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Got connected through avast, how long did the unpack/update take you guys over a VPN?

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

HATE MONDAYS

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Robhol posted:

I've just managed to start unpacking with the New Zealand server on VyprVPN, maybe worth a try if you're having issues with other VPNs.

I just got connected to this too, launched steam, checked store page and it was still the same. Changed my store region to Australia in Store Region. Now it shows "Play now" but won't launch :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Got connected through avast, how long did the unpack/update take you guys over a VPN?

2 minutes left to go. About 12 total.

Also I didnt plan a build, but CHA and END are the dump stats, right? I kind of want 9 Luck and high Science and Perception. Always have a hard time choosing between laser boy and sniper man

first impressions of the game: required me to install like 4 free VPN softwares, way more than any other game. 9/10

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

BaconCopter posted:

I just got connected to this too, launched steam, checked store page and it was still the same. Changed my store region to Australia in Store Region. Now it shows "Play now" but won't launch :(

Mine works fine. Check where your IP shows you being at. Make sure your download location is set to Aus or New Zealand.

Go to settings, account details, and make sure that your store is set to Aus or NZ. I had to switch mine twice, for some stupid reason, but it worked fine after that.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

New Leaf posted:

21, not including the 1 per SPECIAL you get for free.

Thanks!

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Elderbean posted:

First, there was maybe a tiny download (unnoticeable) then 20 minutes of decryption. That was all CPU and disk time, no internet. Even while that was going on, Steam showed me I was missing 0.2 GB of files, so when the decryption stopped, that started. It's only 200 MB, so it was fine for VyprVPN Free. After that, there was even more disk time for 15 minutes or so. Then I could play.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I managed to unpack, and have been playing for a while now. The dialogue is appropriately terrible (Bethesda), the jank is there (Bethesda), power armor is appropriately stompy (and I'm surprised they give it to you so quickly), and the radio owns. Also, deathclaws.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BaconCopter posted:

are you in offline mode

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How do I recharge the power armor? I'm on PC. We're back in Sanctuary and I've run out of power but I have more batteries for it....

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
gently caress, just crashes when I click play and I've got the latest drivers.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What breaks down into circuitry?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Requesting gameplay tips on a unreleased game.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

The new SPECIAL system far favors specialization. If you want to be a sneaky sniper you want AGI, LUC and PER more than anything. The design of the special system means that you'll be effective with most guns just with those attributes.

This look better? http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7a.7.3.4.6.6

The Perception bobblehead and using the SPECIAL book to pop up agility one point completes what I want to start with, I think.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Requesting gameplay tips on a unreleased game.

Maybe for you. :smug:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yay I can play ultra. So uhh, what's the deal with the difficulty? Presumably easy af on hardest, right?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Anita Dickinme posted:

What breaks down into circuitry?

Not sure but I thnk you need an int perk to get it

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Please remember to be VPN polite! Once you have the game working, offline steam and close that VPN so some other shmuck can play ToS roulette the game.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The game is actually pretty good. I especially like how power armour works now, and the crazy assortment of mismatched Mad Max apparel you can strap to your body. Also, I've gotten used to the voiced protagonist more quickly than I would've thought. The graphics aren't as bad as some of the leaks made them out to be either, although there's definitely some inconsistency there.

My only issue with the game so far is that the world feels too tight. Lots of interesting places for sure, but they could've used a bit more spacing here and there. I think NV struck a better balance in this regard.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
and the pip boy app works as advertised?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does the Amazon digital copy pre-order not even let you start downloading until midnight? Because it's a 32 gig download, and I want to play tonight. I thought it downloads pretty much the whole thing prior to the game coming out, and then you just unlock it, but I still don't have a code yet. I can still cancel the preorder though. Is it different if you order from the PSN store directly within the console?

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
You dont have to stay in offline mode after you unlock through VPN right?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I think you can go online, why else play game if you cant show others your playing it?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Scott Forstall posted:

and the pip boy app works as advertised?

Arstechnica said it causes fps issues, even on pc

Edit: if you go online steam will lock the game again

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Volkerball posted:

Does the Amazon digital copy pre-order not even let you start downloading until midnight? Because it's a 32 gig download, and I want to play tonight. I thought it downloads pretty much the whole thing prior to the game coming out, and then you just unlock it, but I still don't have a code yet. I can still cancel the preorder though. Is it different if you order from the PSN store directly within the console?

To answer what I think your question is, my PSN copy of the game is preloaded and waiting to activate at midnight tonight, yes. Though it will have to patch after that, patches aren't preloaded.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I'm still having trouble connecting to an aus vpn, but as I understand you need to keep steam offline until the release in your timezone. If you bring it back online without the vpn the game will fail to start again.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Can't confirm for this game yet, but with other games previously I've been able to go back online without VPN after I launched the game once and it was fine.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Colt Cannon posted:

Mine works fine. Check where your IP shows you being at. Make sure your download location is set to Aus or New Zealand.

Go to settings, account details, and make sure that your store is set to Aus or NZ. I had to switch mine twice, for some stupid reason, but it worked fine after that.

The IP is in AU when I googled it even though I set it to NZ in VyprVPn. I set the download location to AU - VIC, changed my store location to Australia, clicked the yes on payment info... and nothing has changed.

Tried restarting Steam, went into Account Details , store region back to US... try switching it to AU (check my download location, still the same). Go to the store, same exact problem as my screenshot...

Eonwe posted:

are you in offline mode

No, I thought I needed to launch the game THEN turn it to offline? I never even got to unpacking anything :confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

This look better? http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7a.7.3.4.6.6

The Perception bobblehead and using the SPECIAL book to pop up agility one point completes what I want to start with, I think.

That seems like a solid build to me.I don't see anything you'll really be missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frankenoodle posted:

Thanks! So, each time you earn a perk point you can spend it on SPECIAL stats instead? With no limit? That's an interesting trade-off. Using perk points to enable to you to get better perks. EDIT: Oh wait, that's not even new. The old Intense Training perk could do it, but it was generally not worth it.

Question to anyone, is it silly to take 8 in three stats and 1 in the rest. I used to really enjoy hacking computers, picking locks, sniping, and sneaking. Sort of a spy type character. Looking at the perk chart, I want at least 8 INT, and 8 PER, and a 7 AGI. That only leaves one point. I'll have a very low STR and wont' be able to carry around jack, probably. I don't necessarily care about CHA checks or Luck.

You only need 4 INT and 4 PER to get hacking and lockpicking. I've heard the high-INT perks aren't worth it, but maybe the Sniper perk from PER would be pretty neat, and Robotics Expert in INT could be cool if there's a good amount of robotic enemies (not sure if that's the case though). It's also worth noting that perks like Gun Nut and Science! only affect whether you can craft high-rank weapon mods, not whether you can use them if you find or buy them. I like playing the same kind of character as you do and I plan to go 4 PER, 4 INT, 7 AGI, and the rest split between Luck and STR probably.

• Locked thread