Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Perk 6 under Charisma, Local Leader, could very well be infinite money.

Money is trivially easy to come by in the game. I was sitting on nearly 10,000 caps by the end without any of that. If you were willing to minmax lugging stuff back to sell you could do even more.

Volkerball posted:

Hope there's no implant mechanic based on endurance, because it looks like endurance is the biggest dump stat.

If there is I didn't encounter it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

sector_corrector posted:

You are so goddamn salty, it's hilarious.

Says the guy who has nothing better to do than troll a video game thread.

Good job.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Money is trivially easy to come by in the game. I was sitting on nearly 10,000 caps by the end without any of that. If you were willing to minmax lugging stuff back to sell you could do even more.

If there is I didn't encounter it.

How much can you end up spending to mod weapons and gear, or to buy basically anything you want though? I had infinite money in Skyrim once the greenhouse came out in Hearthfire, and it made things a ton more fun for all the doors it opened up.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh they finally improved the Nukahub character builder.

My "ideal" build requires level 55 so is actually feasible, is a little low on +damage perks because they sound kinda boring, I hope having access to top tier mods anytime will make your damage output and general effectiveness in combat noticeably better, otherwise I might as well find/buy the mods and have more damage...

And it's fairly skewed towards CHA/INT for the dialogue, settlement and crafting stuff which I don't even know if I will like, and I honestly don't even know what kind of weapon I will use, so probably I'll end up choosing a weapon type and skimping on the non-relevant crafting perks, upping the relevant +damage perks.

Second playthrough though, that's set in stone : no intelligence, no charisma, only melee weapons and power armor pain train :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ Assuming things scale the way they do in other Bethesda games, you may not want to skip too many +damage perks. Enemies often scale in damage, health, and damage resistance independent of how well you've built your character to deal damage, so you could end up leveling yourself into a situation where you're level 40, the enemies are level 40, and you can't do poo poo for damage to them.

Things could be super different this time around, though. I'm just working off assumptions from previous Bethesda games.

ImpAtom posted:

Does crafting weapon mods feel worth it to you? I think I'm between grabbing Local Leader to try to go full-on Merchant Prince or leveling INT high enough to grab Science! and Gun Nut and tricking out my guns.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Harrow posted:

Does crafting weapon mods feel worth it to you? I think I'm between grabbing Local Leader to try to go full-on Merchant Prince or leveling INT high enough to grab Science! and Gun Nut and tricking out my guns.

I'll have both. I'll be poo poo at combat and get my rear end kicked by little children, but my guns will be the blingiest and my settlement the bestest in all the wasteland :downs:

Edit: yeah I see what you mean, that's why once I settle on a weapon type, say auto guns, I'll just max gun nut and commando and leave behind science and gunslinger scrapper or something like that.

Fact is, I love being a jack of all trades on my first playthrough and then specializing on later playtroughs, once I have already experienced the wonderful, awesome, great story this game offers :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 9, 2015

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Harrow posted:

Why would you not want to trick out your guns?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Once more, seeing as my question got swamped with people VPNing earlier: Is there a way to disable v-sync on the PC version? It feels like it's on by default, and there's a ton of mouse lag as a result, which is less than ideal for a shooter. I've looked everywhere in the launcher, and in the options menus in-game to no avail. Did they really release a game in 2015 which doesn't let you toggle v-sync on or off?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Colt Cannon posted:

Why would you not want to trick out your guns?

I mean, I definitely want to do that, but I can do that with purchased/found mods, too. I'll level Gun Nut and Science! for the purpose of getting mods that are hard to get otherwise, or earlier than I could otherwise get them, and thus have the most excellent guns in the Commonwealth.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Man, Luck doesn't seem to be as cool as it used to be. CHa seems like a dump stat but that local leader sounds dope. Still havent gotten oput of this starting character poo poo lol

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Colt Cannon posted:

Says the guy who has nothing better to do than troll a video game thread.

Good job.

Why are you so resistant to the idea that other people might not appreciate your lovely, broken, sacred cow of a game?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Here's what I used, it lasted long enough to unlock it, then futz out. https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

Edit: Process I used after preloading.

1. In settings changed download area to New Zealand

2. Shut down steam.

3. Started up the VPN program with the 500 meg free trial and connected to Australia because New Zealand servers were down.

4. Started up steam, let it unlock FO IV (took a few minutes)

5. put steam in offline mode, shut down the VPN and started playing.

6. Pistol whipped fools while being Hispanic lady Liam Neeson.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 9, 2015

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I just bumped into a group of super mutants at lvl 6 in the middle of the night, took some potshots, panicked when I realized they weren't taking any damage, and fled like a mofo. One of them had a fat man so behind me a couple of mini mushroom clouds bloomed while I ran as fast as I could. :stare:

Reaally enjoying this.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

pacmania90 posted:

Why are you so resistant to the idea that other people might not appreciate your lovely, broken, sacred cow of a game?

but the games good!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TorakFade posted:

I'll have both. I'll be poo poo at combat and get my rear end kicked by little children, but my guns will be the blingiest and my settlement the bestest in all the wasteland :downs:

You don't have to be poo poo at combat to do that.

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7b.4.4.6.6.4.3

Commando, rifleman, and bloody mess will be huge for rifles, plus I've got big leagues and blacksmith for melee poo poo. Looks like a badass all around character to me. Gear has to be good because you'll be glass cannon as gently caress, but the medic perk and shitloads of money should make stimpaks no big deal.

Is the locksmith perk really useful? I could afford to take 2 off perception if it's not, which would let me get 1 stat away from ninja, and pick up action boy.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Robhol posted:

There seem to be some pretty bizarre control decisions in this game. The quick item selects are mapped to 3, 4, 9, and 0 and there doesn't seem to be any way to change them. I cannot fathom why these particular numbers would have been chosen; it doesn't even map to anything on a numpad.

Yeah the PC interface is pretty clunky.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
ok so now that the game is out for people who are definitely really legitimate citizens of new zealand what's the deal with ladykiller/black widow/confirmed bachelor/cherchez la femme

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Carrying capacity: how big of a deal is it? Does ammo have weight? For people who are playing, do you feel like you're regularly unable to carry more? I'm trying to decide if my sneakin' sniper build needs high Strength and Strong Back to carry all the sweet loot I'll be getting or if I can safely dump it.

Khanstant posted:

Man, Luck doesn't seem to be as cool as it used to be. CHa seems like a dump stat but that local leader sounds dope. Still havent gotten oput of this starting character poo poo lol

Luck seems like it's really good but doesn't have that much flash to it, except for maybe Ricochet. I plan to level it to 6 to grab Bloody Mess and Better Criticals so I can do the most damage possible with my sneaky sniper.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Harrow posted:

Carrying capacity: how big of a deal is it? Does ammo have weight? For people who are playing, do you feel like you're regularly unable to carry more? I'm trying to decide if my sneakin' sniper build needs high Strength and Strong Back to carry all the sweet loot I'll be getting or if I can safely dump it.

I was just watching a stream on steam where the player was using Dogmeat to carry around the minigun and fatboy for them...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
fuuuuuuck i really need lifegiver

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=73.4.4.6.6.6

I think this is the build I am going with. Bobblehead brings luck to 7 so I got hella crits. Didn't go with the Sniper perk, not sure yet how much that will actually help or be important. This build lets me craft the shits. I am going to play on the hardest mode, so maybe this low HP and endurance will kick my rear end but I can beef into it I suppose if it becomes necessary.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm finding that the KBAM interface is kind of lovely in some spots, but the "3,4,9,0" binding makes slightly more sense once you start adding more custom hotkeys. Basically every key between 1 and = is hotkeyable, they just segmented it out that way for whatever reason.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Does anyone know what gives crystals? I'd like to have more than one radio beacon but I have no idea where to find more.

Harrow posted:

Carrying capacity: how big of a deal is it?

It isn't really.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wait, there's a book somewhere that lets you increase a SPECIAL of your choice? Neat, where?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Empress Theonora posted:

ok so now that the game is out for people who are definitely really legitimate citizens of new zealand what's the deal with ladykiller/black widow/confirmed bachelor/cherchez la femme

Sorry, it's heteronormative only, improves damage and persuade checks and later on intimidation.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Volkerball posted:

You don't have to be poo poo at combat to do that.

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7b.4.4.6.6.4.3

Commando, rifleman, and bloody mess will be huge for rifles, plus I've got big leagues and blacksmith for melee poo poo. Looks like a badass all around character to me. Gear has to be good because you'll be glass cannon as gently caress, but the medic perk and shitloads of money should make stimpaks no big deal.

Is the locksmith perk really useful? I could afford to take 2 off perception if it's not, which would let me get 1 stat away from ninja, and pick up action boy.

That's very similar to what I'm planning actually - I had 3 END to be a bit beefier and access to lifegiver to pump up HP lategame, and only 3 STR / 3 PER because the PER bobblehead is easy to find and I'm planning for a melee 2nd playthrough already so I don't care much about strength, only enough for Armorer (the lower carry weight though... :smith: )

one point in luck to get the idiot savant perk, because more XP is always a good thing, and then I'll just go with the flow I think. Anyway I can use the console to respec if I really botch up, so it's not a big deal anyways :v: I like how character builds feel meaningful, FO3/NV was just "10 intelligence and PUMP SKILLS ALL THE WAY TO THE SKY", there was no reason at all to go low INT unless you had some gimmick build plan.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Khanstant posted:

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=73.4.4.6.6.6

I think this is the build I am going with. Bobblehead brings luck to 7 so I got hella crits. Didn't go with the Sniper perk, not sure yet how much that will actually help or be important. This build lets me craft the shits. I am going to play on the hardest mode, so maybe this low HP and endurance will kick my rear end but I can beef into it I suppose if it becomes necessary.

Is there a bobblehead for every skill or just luck or what?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Speedball posted:

Wait, there's a book somewhere that lets you increase a SPECIAL of your choice? Neat, where?

It's located in Your house, baby's room it's under some furniture.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Anyone running a 980ti and 1440p res care to weigh in on how the game performs at max/ultra? I'm stuck at work :(

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

You are a patron and a saint.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Volkerball posted:

There's one for every SPECIAL stat and some that grant unique perks, I think.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Volkerball posted:

One bobblehead for every skill, one generic book for any skill. Some of the bobble heads are late game though so don't totally build around getting them all right away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

It was worth it to me if just to give a good weapon a boost and to get suppressors on everything I could. The latter is the thing I really wanted it for. If you don't mind going loud I think it loses some of its appeal.

In terms of customize energy weapons it didn't feel worth it. I found enough mods around the world to not need it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Dunno why people still get so mad about Bethesda glitches and jankiness. They're endearing to me, almost like a funny trademark so you know it's Bethesda quality. :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The old skill bobbleheads like Big Guns give you bonuses related to those things but don't add any stats.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TorakFade posted:

That's very similar to what I'm planning actually - I had 3 END to be a bit beefier and access to lifegiver to pump up HP lategame, and only 3 STR / 3 PER because the PER bobblehead is easy to find and I'm planning for a melee 2nd playthrough already so I don't care much about strength, only enough for Armorer (the lower carry weight though... :smith: )

one point in luck to get the idiot savant perk, because more XP is always a good thing, and then I'll just go with the flow I think. Anyway I can use the console to respec if I really botch up, so it's not a big deal anyways :v: I like how character builds feel meaningful, FO3/NV was just "10 intelligence and PUMP SKILLS ALL THE WAY TO THE SKY", there was no reason at all to go low INT unless you had some gimmick build plan.

I'm wanting to test out all the weapons on my first playthrough, so I had to get Blacksmith on top of Armorer to play with melee mods. I'm definitely trying to find a way to incorporate lifegiver now. It looks huge. Might just pass on action boy and ninja, or maybe on locksmith and awareness.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

pacmania90 posted:

Why do you post so much in a thread for a game that you don't like? Just one of those unanswered questions that baffle scientists.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It was worth it to me if just to give a good weapon a boost and to get suppressors on everything I could. The latter is the thing I really wanted it for. If you don't mind going loud I think it loses some of its appeal.

In terms of customize energy weapons it didn't feel worth it. I found enough mods around the world to not need it.

I'm planning on rocking suppressors, so it sounds like I'll at least want Gun Nut. Thanks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look, you can loot spiked dog armor from spiked armored dogs. GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

One bobblehead for every skill, one generic book for any skill. Some of the bobble heads are late game though so don't totally build around getting them all right away.

So we'll be looking at +2 in every skill by the end of the game? Well, I can gameplan around that a bit for less important things that can wait until endgame.

• Locked thread