Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Poor Pele! She needs a tiny flannel or down vest to wear!

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
They kind of smell like what a wet dog would smell like if it were a chicken, combined with a distinct KFC smell.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Yoya says 'Hi...'

All fat & fluffy and ready for winter...just in time for National Hug A Chicken Day, huggable and squishy-soft as she should be. :v:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yoya says 'Hi...'

That's some serious floof.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
My husband's picking up our chicks at the post office right now :neckbeard:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Triangulum posted:

Pics or we don't believe you! ;)

VS: Yoya wants some eggs to sit on in the spring time. :D

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Triangulum posted:

PHOTOS!!!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Another no-obvious-signs dead hen yesterday. That's two in two weeks. I'm hoping we don't have something going around, but no one is showing any signs of being ill or off their food.

I figure if another one drops, I'll send her off to the vet and see if they can find out what's going on.

Poop Bird and Poop Bird, Jr. are doing great, though!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Saw Yoya's picture before 6am work start and can confirm, at 6pm, that she has been the best part of my day. Thank you, Yoya!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yoya says 'Hi...'

All fat & fluffy and ready for winter...just in time for National Hug A Chicken Day, huggable and squishy-soft as she should be. :v:

She wasn't ever tiny, but it still amazes me how such a gigantic floof-bird popped out of that egg.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

WrathofKhan posted:

A few years back, I became a homeowner, and my mother-in-law made the snotty comment that 'You guys should get some chickens', apparently because the house is painted a barn-red color, with white trim. My husband looked at her and said "Y'know, maybe we will". So, that evening I looked up the city code, and, lo and behold, its legal to keep chickens in my city. Specifically, you can have up to ten birds, roosters are allowed if they don't piss off the neighbors. The more we thought about it, the cooler the idea seemed, and a whim born from wanting to spite my mother-in-law turned into a real plan.

After looking at the various options, we placed an order for baby chicks over the internet. Baby chicks don't have to eat or for the first 48-72 hours of their life, which means that its possible to ship them, although in the US, only the Postal Service will deal with shipping live chicks. We ordered from a website called mypetchicken.com, which at the time was one of two websites that would let you order less than 25 chicks. We ordered 17, figuring that this allowed for some mortality in the chicks, and for some being missexed. As it happened, all of them lived, and all of them were female, so the extra birds were sold on Craigslist once they reached 16 weeks, which is called 'point of lay', because most breeds start laying at between 18 and 24 weeks. Looking back, I would have just bought the full 25 and saved money on shipping, which is what I intend to do this year when I order some more chicks to add to my flock.
Since then I've added a couple of birds from a few chicks I picked up at the feedstore, as well as a couple from eggs that hatched when one of my hens went broody (I got fertile eggs from someone who had a rooster), and sold a bunch via craigslist. This past spring, we also raised a few birds for meat, but that was an experiment I don't think I'll repeat.

Owning chickens has been a lot of fun. In terms of care, I need to clean out the coop twice a week (which takes about 15 minutes) and put down clean bedding. In terms of the amount of work, its a lot like owning fish, but you get eggs. I compost the poop for fertilizer, so it all gets put to use. The quality of the eggs is much, much better than anything you can buy at the supermarket-nice orange yolks, whites that aren't runny, and the eggs have a more intense 'eggy' flavor.

Anyway, its a lot of fun, and I thought some goons might like to know more about it, so ask away.

Okay, this is amazing and I'm glad I found it because I keep asking my husband if we can start keeping a few chickens once we move. Maybe this will help convince him. Thank you posting it!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Oh I'm glad I found this thread! I am trying to buy a house and one thing I want for next year is a couple of chickens. Of course I've already decided I want two or three big floofy friendly layers like wyandottes or brahmas, before I've even checked if I can even own chickens.

Lots of questions. I'll be looking at some of the info and resources in this thread. :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
lil chicks!!!

This one is very angry and charges the side of the box whenever we put her down

This one is Spatz because she looks like a sparrow

beethoven

bruiser

The rest don't have names yet

cochin butts are the funniest thing i've ever seen :3:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
Hopefully relevant enough, but a friend of mine is making a webcomic about the last chicken in the universe.

http://www.cluckedcomic.com/

quote:

When a chicken lands on Earth in search of kin, he discovers that not only is his kind considered the tastiest thing in the universe… he’s also the only one left. Can he survive the hungering hordes, cosmic chases and entirety of the Galactic Federation long enough to save his homeworld?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yoya says 'Hi...'

Oh gods, I remember when she was just being broody as all heck and fluffed up in other pics.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Triangulum posted:

lil chicks!!!

Eeeeeee!
How many in total? Also, we can help with names, it's a sort of tradition on this thread.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Babiiiiiieeeees :3

Also, I have the urge to name one Fustercluck.

...I've had a long day.

You'd be better off with names like Red, Betsy, or Brunhilda. :3 More kid-friendly. Less eyebrow-raising when a chicken inevitably goes visiting and you yell its name across the neighborhood while searching for it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Henelope and Chickolas Cage are good names.

e: also Nugget, Soup, and Tikka Masala.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
There are 25. Beethoven is hands down the best chick, it's really big and friendly and doesn't freak out or run away when we grab it. I can't loving believe how fast these things grow, we've had them 3 days and they're already growing real feathers and trying to fly.

i am hesitant to let yall name chicks because boy do i loving hate puns lol

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Chick question:

Poop Bird, Jr. is now about 6 weeks old and has most of her feathers in. She's in the house, still, with her mom, in a big box. It's getting cold, and it's super wet now because of fall. My husband is under the impression PBJ can't survive in the coop outside on her own until she's full grown. We'll have cold (<40F) mornings for the next 4 months or so, and it's likely to snow and will probably freeze within the next month.

What do you guys think? We've got a heat lamp out in the coop, and it's big and pretty well insulated (it's off the ground and we use a thick layer of pine shavings). I think PBJ will be OK out there, but I don't want her to die.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hey, I found some cool chicken art, fun stuff!

http://chickenart.pixieset.com/chickenart/

The artist is Sarah Hudock, she also has a blog/site where she sells her stuff:
http://chickenart.com/blog/

I especially love the 'I'm in the garden' sign with the hen among the flowers. I could just tack that one to the coop since it applies any time ya leave the gate open...

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Looked into emu keeping....turns out that although we have the space, keeping chickens and emus together is a REALLY bad idea in that emus *kill* chickens. So sadly, no emus for us.

Now to decide what we will hatch next Spring...

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Get some turkeys! They're really pretty mellow. Dumb, but easily trained to come to you.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lynza posted:

Chick question:

Poop Bird, Jr. is now about 6 weeks old and has most of her feathers in. She's in the house, still, with her mom, in a big box. It's getting cold, and it's super wet now because of fall. My husband is under the impression PBJ can't survive in the coop outside on her own until she's full grown. We'll have cold (<40F) mornings for the next 4 months or so, and it's likely to snow and will probably freeze within the next month.

What do you guys think? We've got a heat lamp out in the coop, and it's big and pretty well insulated (it's off the ground and we use a thick layer of pine shavings). I think PBJ will be OK out there, but I don't want her to die.

6 weeks is kind of young for that weather. 12 weeks and she will be money. They have all their feathers at 12 weeks.

Also 6 weeks is a little small to be with big girls who don't know her. She can hold her own at 10-12 but 6 is rough, not to mention it's still close to possible issues with cocci age.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Now to decide what we will hatch next Spring...

You want a kiwi. You really want a kiwi. Kiwi.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Where does one find Kiwi eggs?

Also those tin signs are amazing and I seriously want a few for the house, thanks for sharing! ^_^

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Faerunner posted:

Where does one find Kiwi eggs?

Also those tin signs are amazing and I seriously want a few for the house, thanks for sharing! ^_^

Kiwi eggs are actually kiwi fruits. You get a kiwus (the singular form of kiwi) to sit on the fruit and after a month or so they hatch out a new baby kiwus.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Vaga42Bond posted:

You want a kiwi. You really want a kiwi. Kiwi.

Yes, I DO really want one. Unfortunately they are extremely protected, being rare and endangered and all.

Snowed overnight, so the youngsters are experiencing their first real snow! :keke:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
How indignant are they over all that white stuff you put on their ground?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Triangulum posted:

There are 25. Beethoven is hands down the best chick, it's really big and friendly and doesn't freak out or run away when we grab it. I can't loving believe how fast these things grow, we've had them 3 days and they're already growing real feathers and trying to fly.

i am hesitant to let yall name chicks because boy do i loving hate puns lol

I think the name Lizzy is a very sweet name.

A very good name.

Lynza posted:

Get some turkeys! They're really pretty mellow. Dumb, but easily trained to come to you.

Ugh, mixing up their feed though.

I think VS should get some nice indigo guineas.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

effervescible posted:

How indignant are they over all that white stuff you put on their ground?

VERY.

They refused to come out of the run. I ended up carrying Cluckadorkle out and setting her in the 1 1/2 inches of snow...she didn't trust the footing (It crunches when I walk! It shifts and MOVES with every step, wwaahhhh!) and didn't want to walk around in it. There was much staring and complaining.

Not even leftover spaghetti tempted the babies out. Pele, however, ran out and snarfed it up.

Although to be fair it was more of a 'OHGODOHGODNeed FOODMustGrowFeathersNOW!' manner of eating...

VVV No word yet, he said he'd notify me when and if it was published.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 11, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know why, but I love all the little chicken footprints in the snow :allears:. Any word on Dr. Weedcat Fluffypants, Chicken PhD being published?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
That's hilarious. Cluckadorkle looks like dogs when you put booties on them--they're both not sure whether their feet work anymore.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know why, but I love all the little chicken footprints in the snow :allears:. Any word on Dr. Weedcat Fluffypants, Chicken PhD being published?

If it's like any other academic publication, probably late 2016/early 2017 would be expected if accepted by the end of this year. I do not know about publication in poultry sciences, though.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think the name Lizzy is a very sweet name.

im gonna name the worst one lizzy

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack
oh haaaaaiiii! I see you have some teeth in your face. let me get that out for you

Holy crap everyone's growing so fast... the brooder has gone from 3 big boxes to 7 big boxes and a fridge box. Chicky dusts baths are the cutest thing
a few of the dorks sunbathing almost 2 weeks ago

Snow chickens! cluckadorkle's fluffy legs are so cute! V.S get ducks

Triangulum your chipmunks are adorable

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Carmen has been acting very weak. Today I noticed something on her bill. It was there for maybe 5-10 minutes, then it was gone. She wouldn't let me handle her so I could take a closer look, but she was too weak to run away from the camera. Does it look like some kind of flatworm? As far as I can tell the chickens' poop looks normal, and this one is eating normally. She is just a lot less lively, and is too weak to jump up to her roost.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Looks like a piece of food, cheese maybe? Hope Carmen's feeling better soon.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Have to share this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiR9wqxYvDo

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^^ Of course she floats, only Barred Rocks sink. Also, Stare of Death at 1:15. Very funny!

hey santa baby posted:

Carmen has been acting very weak. Today I noticed something on her bill. It was there for maybe 5-10 minutes, then it was gone. She wouldn't let me handle her so I could take a closer look, but she was too weak to run away from the camera. Does it look like some kind of flatworm? As far as I can tell the chickens' poop looks normal, and this one is eating normally. She is just a lot less lively, and is too weak to jump up to her roost.

You need to grab her and check her over. Feel her keel to see if she's skinny, check her vent for soiled feathers. Check for mites, especially around the fluffy butt feathers, they love to gather there. Mites tend to explode in population when the bird is ill and maybe isn't preening or dustbathing as they should, so don't let them get a toehold, opportunistic little bastards. Her comb and wattles appear shrunken, possibly she's dehydrated?

Any wheezing or sneezing? The white thing is weird, could have been a bit of food...pry open her mouth and look inside with a flashlight, check for Frounce (canker). I think it'd be wise to rule it out. Frounce is most common in pigeons, raptors tend to get it from eating pigeons but shickens can pick it up from wild birds. Basically it's a protozoan-borne illness that produces a cheesy growth in the bird's mouth & throat so that they cannot eat. I've lost several hens to Frounce, it's nasty poo poo. :(

If she's as weak as you say, be protactive and get her checked over and treated ASAP. Good luck with Carmen, she's very pretty!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the white thing must have been something else. The inside of her bill looks clean. She does have matted poop around her vent, so I'll give her a bath now because I don't know what else to do. I didn't see mites.

OK the bath went reasonably well. She seems to be eating and drinking normally with the others. Right now she is inside and very much interested in meal worms. However she weights less than 2.5 lbs, which is really low for a standard size hen I think. Other than the general weakness and low weight I can't see any specific symptoms. No wheezing or gaping or anything like that. She doesn't squat like if she was egg bound. Feeling her up, there's nothing in her anyway.

Lawson fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 15, 2015