Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MetaJew posted:

This is what my CPe plate mount looks like, on my MS3. Is that bad?

I don't know, is the 3's front as round as that so the plate's not flush at any part? I mean that thing just looks like it's hovering in air next to the car. I don't know what year MS3 you've got but a quick google image search showed a front mounted plate dead center over the big plastic black bit which is exactly where I'd expect it to go on that Audi too.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent 86
Jun 14, 2002

05 s2000

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

You Am I posted:

No, gently caress the car companies that can't design a front bumper to take a number plate.

That said, the US states should have a thin number plate option like what most states in Australia have.

I've seen people here use these: https://www.customeuropeanplates.com/california-euro-style-license-plate.html

No idea if it's legal or not, but the way the law is written I think they'd have a hard time proving it was illegal, especially if that's only on the front of the car.

Looks brand new, nice find.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

davebo posted:

I don't know, is the 3's front as round as that so the plate's not flush at any part? I mean that thing just looks like it's hovering in air next to the car. I don't know what year MS3 you've got but a quick google image search showed a front mounted plate dead center over the big plastic black bit which is exactly where I'd expect it to go on that Audi too.

Basically this. Much better than drilling the plastic in the center.

Edit: spalling

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 9, 2015

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Posted the car before, but fancied sharing, maybe, the last shots this year before the weather goes off.

Still no two ways about it, this car is one of the best for making the people you drive past as happy as you are.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Posted the car before, but fancied sharing, maybe, the last shots this year before the weather goes off.

Still no two ways about it, this car is one of the best for making the people you drive past as happy as you are.

Please tell me you wear a flat cap, houndstooth jacket and smoking a pipe while driving that Morgan

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You Am I posted:

Please tell me you wear a flat cap, houndstooth jacket and smoking a pipe while driving that Morgan

And goggles.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow after all
If I was dealing with iffy front plates somewhere, I'd probably look into something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v34ziGr9XQ0

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Dannywilson posted:

If I was dealing with iffy front plates somewhere, I'd probably look into something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v34ziGr9XQ0

If I had an expensive car I'd just pay the front plate tickets. Plus that thing will be destroyed when you encounter your first driveway.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

blk posted:

I don't have a front plate on either car but keep them available on suction cups for when I street park - Portland meter matrons will give you a ticket if it's not on display on the outside of the car (dashboard doesn't count). I've been pulled over by two different police agencies here and neither officer mentioned it (and didn't cite me for anything else - if I had gotten a citation they may have added it; who knows).

It's highly variable by agency and jurisdiction. I wonder if the police who enforce it do so out of frustration with having their default LIDAR target removed and having to go for headlights instead.

What's funny is, I don't run a front plate, and I go by the same 3 cops EVERY DAY. I know exactly where they sit, and they run LIDAR. I don't even think they have ever pointed at my car. It's funny to run 15-20 over all the way up until I switch from 225 to i70 then drop to 55 until I get home. Especially if some jackwad has been zipping in and out of traffic to keep up with you. Then watching them bang past you only to get nailed by the cops :) I did get pulled over a few months back for an "illegal uturn", (bogus but would have taken more time than the 75$ fine to fight) and he didn't even look at my front end. Just wrote me the ticket and took off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ynotony posted:

If I had an expensive car I'd just pay the front plate tickets.

Try that in VA, they'll impound your car. If you're a dick you might go to jail on the spot.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 15, 2022

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

Every time I've been pulled over for no front plate, I just explain that the bumper requires a custom mount which I've been having trouble ordering, and offer to zip-tie it to the grill, while handwaving toward the back of the jeep, where it is actually tucked behind the spare with two zip ties.

They never take me up on the offer, and haven't realized the front bumper is a bespoke bumper which has no capability to mount a plate, no matter what you order.

CA is hardass about a lot of car things, but front plates aren't one of them. That said, they'll absolutely use it as an excuse to pull you over and check for obvious signs of a rapin' and a murderin'. So I guess anyone who uses a front plate has something to hide :tinfoil:

When I ran without a plate, I'd keep a broken license plate mount and the plate itself (scratched up) in the front seat. I have explained to at least 3 different officers that I had recently hit a racoon and had a replacement mount on order. Works like a charm.

Now I just run a front plate, no sense handing the cops a reason to pull you over.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

El Scotch posted:

And goggles.

I actually do, and an RAF style sheepskin and leather flight jacket but you've just reminded me I don't have them here. Annoying as the ski slopes near here are opening soon and I have a stupid idea to take the morgan up with my old set of skis on the luggage rack and that would have been the perfect outfit to wear.

There was a french car thread here before and I totally didn't realise I could have posted my more regular vehicle in it but here will do I guess. Bit less respect and care here, bit of a shame really. Thats 60ish square meters of floor in the boot. back. trunk. whatever.

Currently in the UK theres a recall of some GM vauxhalls that have taken to catching fire due to shoddy aircon blower electrics that overheat. This car has the exact same problem and I just bodged the blower until I decide what to do next. So the next picture might be much more interesting. Er... its a Renault for anyone who didn't know. Or care.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I love going to the Carrefour.

Also my front plate is in the front window because I hate how it makes the car look like its got a big buck tooth. Although I probably wouldnt try driving around mainland europe with no front plate, i've heard that French police look for any excuse to pull you over if your on uk plates and your driving something a bit lairy lookin.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
I got a new car

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

meatpimp posted:

When I ran without a plate, I'd keep a broken license plate mount and the plate itself (scratched up) in the front seat. I have explained to at least 3 different officers that I had recently hit a racoon and had a replacement mount on order. Works like a charm.

Now I just run a front plate, no sense handing the cops a reason to pull you over.

As soon as I leave the border, cops already have any and all excuse they need to pull me over. A CO license plate.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

You Am I posted:

. . . and a beer mug, cigarette, and the Ace of Spades. Amirite?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If you think not mounting a front plate is worth a potential encounter with the police I don't know what to tell you

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

davebo posted:

Well since we've been talking about front plate attachments, I just happened to notice one of the most awkward ones I've seen tonight and took a photo. Belongs in terrible car poo poo but since we've been talking about it here:

I had a US Millworks tow hook mount for my last few Audis, but never used it. It looks better if the plate matches the curve of the bumper, not straight out like this. I still have the mount, actually, I just don't run a front plate at all.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 10, 2015

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Dislike button posted:

If you think not mounting a front plate is worth a potential encounter with the police I don't know what to tell you

If you think not having a potential encounter with the police is worth having a front plate I don't know what to tell you.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

DropShadow posted:

I had a US Millworks tow hook mount for my last few Audis, but never used it. It looks better if the plate matches the curve of the bumper, not straight out like this. I still have the mount, actually, I just don't run a front plate at all.

This is giving me so much cognitive dissonance.

Your Allroad looks awesome, but then I think about all of my experiences with a family member's GTI and stories about maintenance on the Allroad requiring removing the front clip and engine...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

AI has a growing collection of awesome cars but this might be my favorite car at the moment. Great photos

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

If you think not having a potential encounter with the police is worth having a front plate I don't know what to tell you.

Haha yeah, I love interacting with people who can literally murder me with impunity because I'm too stupid to zip tie something to my car

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I ran around with my front plate in the windscreen for about a year and it was really annoying because once at the pre-booked parking at Heathrow I had to go into the office to get them to let me out cuz the barriers couldn't recognise my reg number 😢

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Also I didn't think at the time to take the number plate out and wave it in front of the camera like I did just now lol

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Working on the Mini used to require removal of the front plate (because it blocked access for my floor jack), and I often forgot to put it back when test-driving, etc. Only took one $100 parking ticket to fix that habit. I also fabbed a plate bracket that lets me leave the plate on when jacking it up.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Dislike button posted:

Haha yeah, I love interacting with people who can literally murder me with impunity because I'm too stupid to zip tie something to my car

For real though? Where do you live that you're in mortal danger of being shot because you don't have a front plate. I've been driving without a front plate for over 10 years and only had 1 cop even care. And he sent me on my way when he decided that I wasn't actually running drugs along the i-10 corridor.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
He lives in the US of A.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

MetaJew posted:

This is giving me so much cognitive dissonance.

Your Allroad looks awesome, but then I think about all of my experiences with a family member's GTI and stories about maintenance on the Allroad requiring removing the front clip and engine...

Maybe on the C5-based allroad, but this generation is basically an A4 Avant with imaginary offroad exterior bits and a revised suspension. No more or less reliable than a run-of-the-mill A4. Of course, the mods on mine probably won't help its longevity.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

corn in the fridge posted:

I ran around with my front plate in the windscreen for about a year and it was really annoying because once at the pre-booked parking at Heathrow I had to go into the office to get them to let me out cuz the barriers couldn't recognise my reg number 😢

I'm surprised the Heathrow parking system isn't just a succession of extremely rude faux-posh girls with poo poo hair and hog faces who criticize your car behind its back in a nasal tone.

Maybe that's just the security screening though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

He lives in the US of A.

The perks of living in a free country. :canada:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I just bought a new car. I wanted a higher sitting vehicle so I stopped plowing snow with my Focus on our terrible long gravel driveway that our little community here never plows.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I just bought a new car. I wanted a higher sitting vehicle so I stopped plowing snow with my Focus on our terrible long gravel driveway that our little community here never plows.

Tell us more about what you plan to do with the front license plate :v:

I almost bought my MS3 from there, but ended up going to Kings since they had one in CWP. Congrats on the purchase.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Front plates are the new wheelgap.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Infinotize posted:

Front plates are the new wheelgap.

Wheel gap is useful though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

corn in the fridge posted:

Somehow the Sainsys new carpark things pickup on my plate in the window, but on google streetview my plate was clearly visible and not blurred out for a while.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Larrymer posted:

Tell us more about what you plan to do with the front license plate :v:

I almost bought my MS3 from there, but ended up going to Kings since they had one in CWP. Congrats on the purchase.

I think honing my frisbee skills would be a good use for the front plate :rock:

I purchased a 3i Touring from them awhile back and they were decent enough, the CX-5 I picked was so new to the dealer they had not done their "PDI" (still not sure what that is) so I had to wait a couple days but they let me have a Red CX-5 for the interim. Love the backup camera and the infotainment system. Coming from the Sync system this thing is a dream come true (Sync 3 being nice though).

I debated between the Escape and the CX-5 and each time I looked at the Escape it got uglier, not to mention to get the couple of things I wanted (AWD/4WD and the 2.0L turbo) it would run me 28K even after Z plan discounts. The CX-5 had just what I wanted at the base model.

Anywho ... new cars smell nice

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

Wheel gap is useful though.

Front license plate is also useful for absorbing parallel parking impacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

mobby_6kl posted:

Front license plate is also useful for absorbing parallel parking impacts.

I'm pretty sure that is what intercoolers are for?\